ResolutionBlaze

Speculation On The Fear Mechanic (Unless Ben Confirms Otherwise)

Thus far, we know fear increases and decreases depending on various factors.

Fear increases when:

- You see Jason

- You see Jason kill

- You're in the woods or in darkness without a flashlight.

- Being alone

That's all that's been confirmed so far.

My question is how will increasing fear work? Does seeing Jason slowly raise fear but seeing him kill gives you a large chunk of fear? Does being alone make you more vulnerable to fear or does that increase fear?

I am going to speculate that this is how it will work. Each fear works in different ways:

A) Gradual increase

B) Sharp increase

C) Vulnerability

For example, being alone makes it so things that do cause fear makes them have a greater effect. Seeing Jason kill causes a sharp spike in fear, and seeing Jason just gradually increases fear along with being in darkness.

Likewise, decreasing fear works similarly:

Hiding makes you less vulnerable to fear, light is a gradual decrease. Making smart choices dips your fear down...

This is pure speculation, how do you think the fear mechanic will work?

• Like 2

I am going to take the liberty of answering this for Ben. We will have more on that soon. :)

• Like 1

I will be focusing on the fear meter like a madman ninja, Lol.

You know I'll be searching for those different buffs to lower my fear.

Buffs meaning, staying on the path and having a flashlight to counter my fear from going up. ;-)

• Like 1

You know I'll be searching for those different buffs to lower my fear.

Buffs meaning, staying on the path and having a flashlight to counter my fear from going up. ;-)

Yeah but doing that may not be the best strategically. You can stay with others but that may make more noise and make you easier to find, or if Jason kills your buddy your fear goes through the roof. Staying on the path can be pretty predictable. I think that similar to Sanity in Amnesia: The Dark Decent; you lose sanity in darkness but you must hiding in darkness... it's a management thing but also a strategy.

Yeah but doing that may not be the best strategically. You can stay with others but that may make more noise and make you easier to find, or if Jason kills your buddy your fear goes through the roof. Staying on the path can be pretty predictable. I think that similar to Sanity in Amnesia: The Dark Decent; you lose sanity in darkness but you must hiding in darkness... it's a management thing but also a strategy.

Yeah I personally don't know the game yet. So I have to actually figure out my natural playing style.

This is my first game having to be strategic and stealth like on a multiplayer platform.

So it's something new to me, an a second horror game that I'm gonna be playing in my whole life, lol.

I'll figure it out as I go, I'm thinking that's how the developers wants us to go cause there won't be any guides I would think or maybe like in the menu. I'm an optimism, so I'm not worrying about the fear

meter much. It's a key factor but staying calm yourself and brainstorming is one to that the game can't provide, lol.

Really interesting post, the fear mechanic is to me one of the most interesting and realistic features.

Just to add to OP's list on how fear will work in the vulnerability section, I'd also mention the archetype of counselor you're playing.

Flirty girls will probably get scared easier than Edgy guys

I swear I heard there will be no 'meter' for fear, just visual and sound indicators by the counselor.

I'm super excited!

I am very interested to see how the Fear mechanic works outside of basic information.  This could be an awesome new way for horror games to operate, and I'm glad it's being introduced in this game.

Seems like it will be a very fun and interactive way to empathize with the counselor.

Absolution, you are correct.  I did hear a radio interview saying there will be no visual element (like a status bar or gauge) to the fear meter, the only thing the counselor player will have to go off of is sound and the visual feedback the 3D model is giving off.  Unless they change it over and add something else that helps you aid the fear of the counselor.

I swear I heard there will be no 'meter' for fear, just visual and sound indicators by the counselor.

I'm super excited!

True, but I think it's safe to assume there is a hidden meter keeping track of how scared your character is, while all you get as the player is the visual cues of fear.

Edit: Already answered. That'll learn me to just respond to a post without reading the next ones. :)

• Like 1

Working on our fear mechanic is taking a lot of time to get the nuances and experience right. We believe people are going to like what we've come up with and will be able to get a sense for how to reduce fear as they play the game. 

• Like 4

What is decided as a smart choice? If you see Jason kill how would a smart choice be ranked if i hide is that considered a smarter choice or running away caught my attention who decides what is smart

What is decided as a smart choice? If you see Jason kill how would a smart choice be ranked if i hide is that considered a smarter choice or running away caught my attention who decides what is smart

I think locking doors or using distractions or hiding.