Sign in to follow this  
VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow

F13 Model Piracy? Resident Evil 4 Jason Mod

I found this on a modding forum for Resident Evil 4. Don't know if they actually ripped assets from F13, or if it is a unique model, but I thought it deserved attention. To me it looks a heck of a lot like a model ripped from F13. It replaces the chainsaw guys in Resident Evil 4 with part 3 Jason.

Resident Evil 4 Jason Mod

0dJ1pc8.jpg

@wes@GunMedia_Ben@Randygbk

• Haha 3

Looks like their model to me. Why are they bothering to shoot at it though? Just hit it with a frying pan and do a silly dance! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

As mentioned by bewareofbears there's nothing they can do unless the modder is getting money from it.

Yes but he would given the opportunity. He did use the extendo-buzzsaw-2000 in Part 7. 

I hate that whole sequence. He kills Tina's mother with the lengthy bladed garden tool and then, what? Goes back to get the saw? He's got a stash somewhere? 

Anyways regarding the model, I'd say it's this game's Jason. No harm no foul. It's kind of a compliment to both games and when PC gamers do this sort of thing it keeps things fresh. Just fun.

Look at all of the Left For Dead 2 mods. People have modded in everything from The Simpsons to Futurama to Tomb Raider. As stated above, as long as the modders don't profit from it, there really is no legal action to take.

• Like 1

How come you can't get in trouble if it's not for profit in a game, but if you put up someone else's music on a YouTube video (for instance), it'll be taken down, even if you have no ads on it?

5 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

How come you can't get in trouble if it's not for profit in a game, but if you put up someone else's music on a YouTube video (for instance), it'll be taken down, even if you have no ads on it?

Usually when it happens with music, it is because the owners of the copyright to the music make a formal complaint (or copyright hit) against the YouTuber that posted it. Movie and music companies seem to usually be the ones to do this the most. I've always thought it was stupid as well, it's free advertising. But, they don't see it that way. I'm sure gaming companies could probably do it if they chose, but it would only be against YouTube videos of it as that is part of YouTube's convoluted policies. People stream on Twitch all the time with music playing in the background. I just think gaming companies would welcome it, as long as those other games aren't making money off of their ideas.

11 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

I just think gaming companies would welcome it, unless those other games are making money off of their ideas.

What happens if a model is more enjoyable in another game? This isn't free advertising for them. It's a risk of losing potential customers.  

If someone put all the Jasons, completely as they are, with all their powers in GTA V....it would be very interested to see how much I would play that over F13.  I'm not saying anything against F13 as a game, but the novelty of free-roaming as Jason on the streets of (fake) Los Angeles is high on my entertainment want list.

2 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

What happens if a model is more enjoyable in another game? This isn't free advertising for them. It's a risk of losing potential customers. 

If someone put all the Jasons, completely as they are, with all their powers in GTA V....it would be very interested to see how much I would play that over F13.  I'm not saying anything against F13 as a game, but the novelty of free-roaming as Jason on the streets of (fake) Los Angeles is high on my entertainment want list.

The thing is, it's not the gaming companies putting the mods out. The developers of some games make a customizer that players can use to make these add-ons.  So there really is no direct competition, as it's not for profit. Copyright laws are a complicated thing.

33 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

The good ole DMCA.

1 minute ago, Dr. Lecter said:

The good ole DMCA.

There's no legal protection for model work.

10 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

The thing is, it's not the gaming companies putting the mods out. 

I know that, but why not legally threaten the sites that allow these people to post these mods. 

It's interesting. I'm sure it probably cost too much money in legal fees, than for what the impact is. I wonder if any gaming company has done that, or at least tried to stop a modder.

Played a Friday The 13th mod for Fallout 4 on Xbox One before Friday The 13th: The Game was released.

I have seen Friday The 13th mods for Grand Theft Auto 5 and other games too.

Don't think Gun Media and Illfonic have the time or resources to waste go after a few modders.

Focus on fixing Friday The 13th: The Game and adding dedicated servers before an Xbox One Y or Z is announced.

SOON 😄 

1 hour ago, WashingtonJones said:

There's no legal protection for model work.

I'm not sure what you intended to convey with that. If you're asking, 'couldn't an IP owner who sees their IP used in a free mod issue a DMCA take-down notice to a host like whomever owns Nexusmods?', yes they could. Why they don't is probably related to the lack of economic reason to do it, the lack of any monolithic youtube-esque host to mindlessly process them, and the fact that legal or not spamming DMCA takedowns makes you an asshole from whom many people would be loath to buy games.

If you're affirmatively stating there's no copyright in any modding work (if by models we're debating the distinction between texture and underlying model, I'm out of my depth but I could see a good argument in favor of some aspect of modeling physics being copyrightable, as it's nonfunctional and uses a creative element to generate aesthetic effects) that incorporates others' IP, you're not quite correct. If I write a mod consisting primarily of Jason assets taken verbatim from F13, partly of non-creative uncopyrightable stuff, and partly of my own creative additions (say a new super fancy blood spray animation for when those relentless chainsaw motherfuckers tear into poor Leon S. Kennedy)...I do have rights to that part I created and thus anyone hosting the entire mod. I don't have any right to the uncopyrightable stuff or the F13 assets, but that's more of an issue between the F13 IP owner and me/anyone hosting the mod. 

Finally, there's been a significant amount of confusion in here between works that copy being paid/free...and what actually matters, works that use another's IP by the legal term "fair use" versus copying that falls outside the definition of fair use. There is some copying that, even if it's totally free, still isn't fair use. On the other hand, you can use another's copyrighted work in various ways, charge money for your derivative work, and still be covered by fair use/parody/some other exception. Contrary to what your point may be, a mod author who received a DMCA takedown could conceivably fight the rights-owner over it and win on a fair use or other ground. I'll go out on a limb and say everyone involved would probably have to be represented by pro bono counsel who had a personal interest in seeing some useful precedent set ;)

Copyright is much less confusing than patent law, or even squishier forms of TM like trade dress...but it's not a nice, neat binary system either.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Copyright is much less confusing than patent law, or even squishier forms of TM like trade dress...but it's not a nice, neat binary system either.

"Confusing" was probably the wrong word for me to use. I should have used the phrase, "I have no fucking idea what it all entails." :lol: With my job, I do not have to worry about copyright infringement at any level. Therefore, I haven't delved into it much more than YouTube's rules because, at one time, I had considered being a content creator.

Thanks for shedding some light on the subject and a more informed explanation of the subject Doc.

I dunno about you but I would love to have Jason part 8 skins for EVERY game.

Imagine playing WWE 2K18 with Jason doing the stunner or NBA 2K18 with Jason doing a dunk.

The possibilities are endless.