Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TiffanyIsBae

Do Fixers feel out of place in this game?

Recommended Posts

This game does favor everything a fixer doesn’t have, luck and speed. Once a fixer is caught which is common since spam sense ruins the though of sneaking away, they’re dead. In public matches, most fixers are completely ignored and are left to die. Always though fixers should’ve had a faster time starting the car, not Chad who does nothing but find keys and leaves everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

Having good repair def has its costs as far as abilities, but also gameplay

Gameplay wise, your better off with Fox and Adam. Kenny can easily fix in front of Jason, and still has better survivability. That’s the issue, higher repair should have benefits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Repair roles can be beneficial when time is of the essence, but these characters are placed at a disadvantage when it comes to survivability. This is why characters like Vanessa or Chad are held in high regard. They may not be able to repair as efficiently under pressure compared to repair characters, but they have a better chance to hold out and survive due to stat allocation. Vanessa has her 6 Luck and her mobility and Chad has his 10 Luck and high speed. Maybe if they had made the game where only certain characters could repair objectives, we would have seen some better protection for people like Eric or Deborah. Team Fortress 2 comes to my mind for some reason in this regard. Characters have strengths and weaknesses in that game, and it encourages diversity when in the select screen. In Friday the 13th, anyone can repair. The speed and ease of repair can be overcome with patience.

If you coordinate with others and repair objectives at the same time, it will still make Jason's head spin. Not only would he have to prevent objectives from being repaired, he would also have to deal with Vanessas and Chads. Both of these are versatile in the combat/repair scenario. They can still repair objectives in his face as long as they are defended. 

Since people have a fair understanding of Jason as an opponent, he is susceptible to aggressive retaliation. Combat is a reliable offensive play style. Players like Pappus have demystified the killer by exposing Jason's weaknesses in combat. Jason is much more approachable when you have the knowledge of how to fight. Grab range nerf, trap stacking nerf, hit detection, item marking, and arsenals at campfires only aid in Jason's downfall.

Cooperation nullifies the need for repair characters. Plus, mechanics like stealth are useless. Combat is king. Kinda makes me wish that they didn't scrap the idea of unique player abilities. It could have potentially made each character stand out a bit more if implemented correctly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BomberBuddy said:

Repair roles can be beneficial when time is of the essence, but these characters are placed at a disadvantage when it comes to survivability. This is why characters like Vanessa or Chad are held in high regard. They may not be able to repair as efficiently under pressure compared to repair characters, but they have a better chance to hold out and survive due to stat allocation. Vanessa has her 6 Luck and her mobility and Chad has his 10 Luck and high speed. Maybe if they had made the game where only certain characters could repair objectives, we would have seen some better protection for people like Eric or Deborah. Team Fortress 2 comes to my mind for some reason in this regard. Characters have strengths and weaknesses in that game, and it encourages diversity when in the select screen. In Friday the 13th, anyone can repair. The speed and ease of repair can be overcome with patience.

If you coordinate with others and repair objectives at the same time, it will still make Jason's head spin. Not only would he have to prevent objectives from being repaired, he would also have to  to deal with Vanessas and Chads. Both of these are versatile in the combat/repair scenario. They can still repair objectives in his face as long as they are defended. 

Since people have a fair understanding of Jason as an opponent, he is susceptible to aggressive retaliation. Combat is a reliable offensive play style. Players like Pappus have demystified the killer by exposing Jason's weaknesses in combat. Jason is much more approachable when you have the knowledge of how to fight. Grab range nerf, trap stacking nerf, hit detection, item marking, and arsenals at campfires only aid in Jason's downfall.

Cooperation nullifies the need for repair characters. Plus, mechanics like stealth are useless. Combat is king. Kinda makes me wish that they didn't scrap the idea of unique player abilities. It could have potentially made each character stand out a bit more if implemented correctly.

I completely agree. Repair counselors should have more purposes. I do wish repair counselors like Deb, Eric had defensive abilities. Such a shame, they scrapped that idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering I have put together the entire car as AJ undetected. Escaping before Jason could react in under two minutes. I would have to say high repair skill is underrated. I can repair as Jenny with 2 in repair but the chance of screwing up and alerting Jason is greater. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

Considering I have put together the entire car as AJ undetected. Escaping before Jason could react in under two minutes. I would have to say high repair skill is underrated. I can repair as Jenny with 2 in repair but the chance of screwing up and alerting Jason is greater. 

That is true, but even Jenny’s can repair a car by herself too, and can still manage to be undetected, without messing up. The issue is that once Jason gets the upper hand fixers are useless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TiffanyIsBae said:

That is true, but even Jenny’s can repair a car by herself too, and can still manage to be undetected, without messing up. The issue is that once Jason gets the upper hand fixers are useless. 

Yeah player skill matters. But at the same time if your good with a character you can give Jason hell no matter who you are. I main Jenny. She is considered useless. But I am nearly always alive for the endgame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BomberBuddy said:

Players like Pappus have demystified the killer by exposing Jason's weaknesses in combat. Jason is much more approachable when you have the knowledge of how to fight. Grab range nerf, trap stacking nerf, hit detection, item marking, and arsenals at campfires only aid in Jason's downfall.

Yep, all correct here. Many people think that Jason has only become vulnerable because of the last few patches. Which is simply not true. He's always been vulnerable and easily taken advantage of by skilled / knowledgeable players, all the way from release. The patches have just made it even worse for him now.

Pappus predicted that everyone would eventually catch up to the aggressive style he popularised, despite a lot of resistance from the community back then. But he was absolutely right. He warned the devs it would happen and it did. I believe he's putting all his efforts toward new Jason tech / strategy now, to bring the balance back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BeautyNumber2 said:

I’ve said before, the weird irony is that I’ve survived more with Deb than any character, a repairer with shit speed and stamina 

I do good with her too, but you can’t deny that in public matches your pretty useless or used. What are the chance someone doesn’t just leave you, or leave you to defend yourself. A stealth approach in the game isn’t a 100% chance of surviving all match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s lobby dependent.  Fixes are huge nightmares for Jason so long as they actually fix things.   I’ve seen many Debs with shotguns walk past gas and batteries as they didn’t want to drop their gun.  By the time they use the gun late in the game Jason probably has rage and it’s too late to usually get out in a car. 

Fixers are huge threats in games where parts spawn close together or groups work together.   

A lone fixer who is left to find all the parts herself with no stamina that are as far away as possible feels like a losing scenario.   I’ve had many lobbies where all people do is open drawers and wait did their turn to run from Jason resulting in a very sad Deb who takes forever to move things long distances on her own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The proplem is that lower repair skills easily get only  a few checks. i mean with kenny you can get 3 i think. That should be more compared to 2 from deb and eric. considering there is 5 point difference in skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the issue is that there isn't enough of a penalty for having low repair.... unless you are Bugzy or Tiffany.  With the re-roll trick, Vanessa, Chad and Jenny also can do respectable repair.  While I would like play Jenny more, her issue ,for me, is that she has repair character-like speed, so I rather play Vanessa or Chad most games.  I think making a fixed amount of skill-checks will help address the issue.  I would figure after a bunch of matches filled with Vanessas, Chads, and Bugzy, people will get tired of nothing getting down after breaking all their weapons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TiffanyIsBae said:

Gameplay wise, your better off with Fox and Adam. Kenny can easily fix in front of Jason, and still has better survivability. That’s the issue, higher repair should have benefits. 

The simplest way to fix this would be to lock in the Repair roll events to be inversely related to the "Repair" stat.

A repair skill of 1 would equate to 10 Repair skill checks.

A repair skill of 10 would equate to 1 Repair skill check.

The "window" for each check should be halved for every two Repair skill points, so a repair skill of 1 would have a window 5X smaller than that of a character with a "10".

I know they already do the window size adjustment portion already, but they should make it more consistent and eliminate the rerolling feature.  Lock in the values, but randomize the placement within the wheel.

If you really want to make it valuable, the penalty for failing a skill check should be more severe, such as resetting the ENTIRE QTE, as opposed to only going back one check, or having it drain half a player's stamina, which would make evading Jason much more difficult if he were to Morph or Shift once alerted to the efforts.

Maybe if Jason has Morph's cooldown completely refreshed, he should have the option to press a certain button (or button combo) to instantly Morph to the location of the failed skill check, without having to open the map and place the icon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

The proplem is that lower repair skills easily get only  a few checks. i mean with kenny you can get 3 i think. That should be more compared to 2 from deb and eric. considering there is 5 point difference in skill.

The best Kenny can get is 4, and some of them are small and hard to get when the compass moves quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with those repair characters is that they usually have high stealth, and stealth is virtually useless in the game when Jason is nearby. Sense immediately reveals exactly where you are unless you miraculously avoid it with sense avoidance perks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

The proplem is that lower repair skills easily get only  a few checks. i mean with kenny you can get 3 i think. That should be more compared to 2 from deb and eric. considering there is 5 point difference in skill.

 

5 hours ago, GeneiJin said:

I believe the issue is that there isn't enough of a penalty for having low repair.... unless you are Bugzy or Tiffany.  With the re-roll trick, Vanessa, Chad and Jenny also can do respectable repair.  While I would like play Jenny more, her issue ,for me, is that she has repair character-like speed, so I rather play Vanessa or Chad most games.  I think making a fixed amount of skill-checks will help address the issue.  I would figure after a bunch of matches filled with Vanessas, Chads, and Bugzy, people will get tired of nothing getting down after breaking all their weapons.

Yeah, the problem lies with being able to re-start a skill QTE to find an easier check. The should do away with the variable difficulty aspect, so it can't be abused, and make it so each character has a fixed number of checks based on their skill. Going for the easy QTE, with low Repair characters, does undermine having characters with great Repair in the first place.

Stealth also really needs to be reworked (all the stats really need to be re-balanced to ensure usefulness), but not going to go into that here. It has been talked about ad nauseum.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sense spam shouldn´t be possible. Give it the same cooldown behaviour as the other abilities and stealth would be actually usefull i guess. The balance problems tough....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Sense spam shouldn´t be possible. Give it the same cooldown behaviour as the other abilities and stealth would be actually usefull i guess. The balance problems tough....

After testing Sense extensively, it is not so much the spamming of it on and off that is the issue. You can stay away from the detection range pretty easily in the first 10 minutes of a match (though I would love to see it re-worked so that Fear is actually more meaningful when using Sense). The biggest issues lie in that Stealth really doesn't actually do much. If it had other effects besides noise ping frequency, it would be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alcanx said:

Repair characters get more XP.

Repair character don't get more XP, character that perform repairs do.  The issue is that characters with low repair skill isn't penalized enough to warrant use of a actual repair character enough.  Yes, it is cool to install that battery in Jason's face with Eric/Deb, but after that car is stop and under Jason's control again, their repair stats isn't going to help them retake it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As some of you know, I main Deb and I don't usually have much trouble surviving with her. She is a skill character that takes time to get comfortable with. You really have to alter your gamestyle depending on which counselor (or Jason) you play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still see lots of repair characters like AJ & Debbie are popular to play. Less of LaChappas but I've seen really good players of all three who do escape or fight Jason well too. 

I think repair characters just have to escape early before Jason gets rage when he can see everywhere on the map. Then the faster characters with stamina have better odds of kiting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Miss AJ said:

I think repair characters just have to escape early before Jason gets rage when he can see everywhere on the map. Then the faster characters with stamina have better odds of kiting. 

Thats the issue though, in terms of character balance.  Character the have good stats on Luck, stamina, and speed has better survivability.  Right now, having a 2 in repair isn't that much of a penalty to offset the stats that allow them to effectively combat/kite Jason, so there is less incentive to pick a repair character other than the character ascetics or challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×