jahzaveamanaie

Suggestion for pocket knives to function like a map

Instead of allowing counselors to hog several pocket knives at once, make them a map like thing where you can only pickup one (and cant drop it after picking it up maybe) and instead of taking up a slot in ur inventory it just sticks to your character until youre grabbed and use it. Then clear it and make the character be able to pick another one up. It makes sense cause 
1, Its completely stupid and illogical that someone realistically would carry 2 - 3 of the exact same pocket knives on them.

2, It makes the game a lil more tense and challenging as you no longer feel invincible to jason when you now gotta take actual care of yourself instead of being able to ♥♥♥♥ up real bad 3 times in a row without any consequences at all

3, It also makes more sense cause if a whole medspray takes up a slot in your inventory then how would a pocket knife do the same lol

Pocket knives should be an honest defense worst case thing, not a ♥♥♥♥♥♥you ♥♥♥♥ed up real bad, but dont worry cuz you got 2 more of those so get trolling and distracting ol grabberman voorhees while the other 6 ppl fix every objective on the map" card. I love grabbing as jason but its admittedly frustrating as♥♥♥♥♥♥and takes all the tension and horror out of the game 

also lastly distributes pocket knives more evenly. no more chads and groups hogging all the pocket knives on the entire map cause they had a lucky spawn now everybody can have a pocket knife AND JUST ONE pocket knife.

copied it over from my steam community thread they said i should post it here so the devs see

Yeah good idea. You know someone else I was reading suggested that pocked knives / firecrackers could occupy a "defense item" slot, along with your 3-item inventory.

This would mean that each counselor could only carry one pocket knife or one firecracker at a time. I think this would address the balance issue greatly.

Pk should be as you say, and also have a single, fast (composure/fear should tie into speed, though) QTE check.

Leave the three inventory slots as-is for crackers, spray, mask, and/or parts.

2 hours ago, Dr. Lecter said:

Pk should be as you say, and also have a single, fast (composure/fear should tie into speed, though) QTE check.

Leave the three inventory slots as-is for crackers, spray, mask, and/or parts.

Not a fan of the QTE. Having one is bad enough, but still balanced. 

2 hours ago, Poormetheus said:

Yeah good idea. You know someone else I was reading suggested that pocked knives / firecrackers could occupy a "defense item" slot, along with your 3-item inventory.

This would mean that each counselor could only carry one pocket knife or one firecracker at a time. I think this would address the balance issue greatly.

Just knifes would be better. Firecrackers are balanced, not need to do that.

It sounds like a good idea but then you've got counselors running around with a pocket knife and 3 med sprays (with an epic Medic). Or 2 sprays, 1 firecrackers and 1 pocket knife. When used, they can still pick up another? Is don't think it'll curtail anything. 

The fewer options they've got the consequences of their choices are a little more impactful. 

Disarm a bear trap or step in it? I've seen the tide turn due to counselors who are so dependent on their damn knives that they'll call Jason to the phone box rather than work with a repair artist to just get the objective completed. 

Anyways yeah, I don't think it would improve anything. It would be a neutral change at best. 

This is exactly the thread I made a while ago. It got buried by threads made by people that also didn't care to use the search function.

Pocket Knife Solution

22 minutes ago, DasMurich said:

It sounds like a good idea but then you've got counselors running around with a pocket knife and 3 med sprays (with an epic Medic). Or 2 sprays, 1 firecrackers and 1 pocket knife. When used, they can still pick up another? Is don't think it'll curtail anything. 

The fewer options they've got the consequences of their choices are a little more impactful. 

Disarm a bear trap or step in it? I've seen the tide turn due to counselors who are so dependent on their damn knives that they'll call Jason to the phone box rather than work with a repair artist to just get the objective completed. 

Anyways yeah, I don't think it would improve anything. It would be a neutral change at best. 

I think it would curtail looping and trolling because Jason would know that after that one knife they wouldn't have another unless they found one, so Jason would have more peace of mind in pursuing the counselor more.

21 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I think it would curtail looping and trolling because Jason would know that after that one knife they wouldn't have another unless they found one, so Jason would have more peace of mind in pursuing the counselor more.

This is true, yes. It's really circumstantial though.

Say, Shelly gets away because of the one pocket knife he's allowed and then takes off to find another confidently because when you're coming out of the stun there is a Chad, Adam, and Vanessa on you you're now dealing with.

This is why I'm saying at best it's neutral. 

There's always the possibility there could be someone quick who's going around and actually disarming traps. Hell, if I'm running Eric and have 2 pocket knives, 9 times out of 10 I'm popping traps so I can repair. 

Realistically it would probably work better along with other changes. 

What if we could only carry 1 knife and bear traps were fiendishly dangerous? 

In F13 part 3 Jason gets stabbed in the leg and throws the knife back, in Part 4 he does the same thing with a hammer in his back. What if using a pocket knife also triggered an automated return fire from Jason you couldn't avoid unless X? 

IMO the issue is the number of knives and the ability to hold on to them because their other usefulness is so easily tanked. But, just my opinion.

You're only considering knife hoarders in this suggestion. What about people who share them? 

12 hours ago, DasMurich said:

This is true, yes. It's really circumstantial though.

Say, Shelly gets away because of the one pocket knife he's allowed and then takes off to find another confidently because when you're coming out of the stun there is a Chad, Adam, and Vanessa on you you're now dealing with.

It wouldn't help quite so much in that circumstance, but in the circumstance that Jason finds a lone counselor, he'd know that they'd only have one knife unless they get out of his sight for an extended period.

30 minutes ago, Truth said:

You're only considering knife hoarders in this suggestion. What about people who share them? 

For sharing, they'd only be able to transport one at a time, then backtrack to the last knife they found.

37 minutes ago, Truth said:

They're a minority.

1 hour ago, Poormetheus said:

They're a minority.

Yes, but you shouldn't ignore the decent people and only consider the hoarders... You should reward good behavior, not make it impossible.

4 minutes ago, Truth said:

Yes, but you shouldn't ignore the decent people and only consider the hoarders... You should reward good behavior, not make it impossible.

By that logic, it's the same as suggesting that you ought to give out your bank login codes publicly in case anybody is short on cash and needs to buy some food. Of course the good people won't avail of your selfless generosity, but would you really be that naive?

Always plan for the worst to occur . . .

I really like the idea to be honest, people shouldn't be able to carry like 3 knives on them, that would be a good idea to nerf the counselors a bit.. instead of carrying 3 knives it gives all players a change to have a knife.. the moment the knife is used.. they are doomed.. or can find another.. if no one has picked it up.. it should be a one carry item like the map, and walkie.. that way it doesn't waste item space..

either that or they can just go nerf the knives back to 3 plus tommy

39 minutes ago, XxHollowFactorxX said:

I really like the idea to be honest, people shouldn't be able to carry like 3 knives on them, that would be a good idea to nerf the counselors a bit.. instead of carrying 3 knives it gives all players a change to have a knife.. the moment the knife is used.. they are doomed.. or can find another.. if no one has picked it up.. it should be a one carry item like the map, and walkie.. that way it doesn't waste item space..

either that or they can just go nerf the knives back to 3 plus tommy

yup exactly! everyone can have a chance to get a knife and free themselves from jason. no one running around with 2-3 pocket knives trolling jason and feeling invincible no more groups juking and trolling jason for 15 minutes straight. its laughable that people can carry so many knives right now i often see people (usually trolls) fucking up REAL BAD 2-3 times in a row and instead of getting punished they get rewarded and jason gets punished for what? trying to be a decent player? trying to get xp? its stupid.

47 minutes ago, jahzaveamanaie said:

yup exactly! everyone can have a chance to get a knife and free themselves from jason. no one running around with 2-3 pocket knives trolling jason and feeling invincible no more groups juking and trolling jason for 15 minutes straight. its laughable that people can carry so many knives right now i often see people (usually trolls) fucking up REAL BAD 2-3 times in a row and instead of getting punished they get rewarded and jason gets punished for what? trying to be a decent player? trying to get xp? its stupid.

I troll Jason.. because it's so easy to escape man.. like it's so pathetic i have to force myself to beat jason all game with a bat :/ sucks being a good skilled player.. who can't be good because the game is so.. towards counselors for no reason.

17 hours ago, DasMurich said:

You make a good point -- so, why not only allow them to carry one med spray, as well? Categorize it like the walkie and the map. Let inventory be for objective items (and the occasional firecracker).

3 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

You make a good point -- so, why not only allow them to carry one med spray, as well? Categorize it like the walkie and the map. Let inventory be for objective items (and the occasional firecracker).

i like how this idea is evolving. it would certainly balance the game a lot, and make it fairer in many ways both for counselors as well as jason all while adding to some of the difficulty AND ramping up the horror a lot. i think when they do it though, they should give an option to either drop the medspray or make it easier to heal others. right now i oftentimes end up healthspraying myself right infront of a limping teammate even though im looking right at him and holding the use button and if medsprays were to become like maps thered be the problem u couldnt drop em and healing teammates would be harder.

Okay so getting a little more radical with it, and inspired by many other games:

What if stats were a little more effective and the impact were a little more drastic as they'd apply to that counselor and then the team as a whole? What if those stats effected what a counselor could it couldn't do, or even carry? What if you couldn't use a sense avoiding perk unless stealth was above X, or wield an axe if your strength wasn't above X?

You can see where I'm going.

If you don't have a "medic" on the team then healings are going to be poor, few and far between.

Just spit balling.

As it is every type of counselor can be perked the same, carrying the same gear, and implementing the same strategy. Maybe if they had limits and restrictions there might be a little more teamwork needed?

21 hours ago, jahzaveamanaie said:

Instead of allowing counselors to hog several pocket knives at once, make them a map like thing where you can only pickup one (and cant drop it after picking it up maybe) and instead of taking up a slot in ur inventory it just sticks to your character until youre grabbed and use it. Then clear it and make the character be able to pick another one up. It makes sense cause 
1, Its completely stupid and illogical that someone realistically would carry 2 - 3 of the exact same pocket knives on them.

2, It makes the game a lil more tense and challenging as you no longer feel invincible to jason when you now gotta take actual care of yourself instead of being able to ♥♥♥♥ up real bad 3 times in a row without any consequences at all

3, It also makes more sense cause if a whole medspray takes up a slot in your inventory then how would a pocket knife do the same lol

Pocket knives should be an honest defense worst case thing, not a ♥♥♥♥♥♥you ♥♥♥♥ed up real bad, but dont worry cuz you got 2 more of those so get trolling and distracting ol grabberman voorhees while the other 6 ppl fix every objective on the map" card. I love grabbing as jason but its admittedly frustrating as♥♥♥♥♥♥and takes all the tension and horror out of the game 

also lastly distributes pocket knives more evenly. no more chads and groups hogging all the pocket knives on the entire map cause they had a lucky spawn now everybody can have a pocket knife AND JUST ONE pocket knife.

copied it over from my steam community thread they said i should post it here so the devs see

Don't forget Tiffany pulling a pocket knife out her leg when she gets grabbed by Jason while she's wearing her bikini. :lol:

• Haha 1