GunMedia_Ben

A reminder of the function of the Report Button

Hi all!

This is a reminder from a post made on July 7th of last year regarding the report button and it's functionality. We generally receive anywhere from 10-20 reports a day, which I have to say comes from less than 10 total members and represents instances of disagreements between users, not necessarily rule-breaking.

Given that the thread is in a pinned/locked/non-responsive area and is likely to be skipped over by users, I would like to make a refresher post to address said issues.

We ask that you please use the report button as last resort. Thanks!

I would like to remind users, especially those that utilize the button quite often, that reporting material you find objectionable should be in lines with breaking the rules; 

1. Offensive/coarse language. 

2. Offensive images

3. Direct attacks. 

I have read quite a few reported posts where users have a disagreement, perhaps even an argument, but the vast majority of reports we are getting are simply due to nothing more than an argument. Please refrain from using the report button until actual insults, harassing posts, trollbait or clearly socially unacceptable behavior are displayed. 

Remember; reports are not simply due to not liking what the other person is saying, they are to mitigate users from stooping to personal attacks and using shock tactics to harass others they do not agree with. Please be mindful of when you press the report button. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

Hi all!

This is a reminder from a post made on July 7th of last year regarding the report button and it's functionality. We generally receive anywhere from 10-20 reports a day, which I have to say comes from less than 10 total members and represents instances of disagreements between users, not necessarily rule-breaking.

Given that the thread is in a pinned/locked/non-responsive area and is likely to be skipped over by users, I would like to make a refresher post to address said issues.

So, just to clarify: I myself use characters when indicating "coarse language", (i.e., "$#!+"), as I really don't care to swear -- but sometimes nothing else is as impactful. However, I have seen many others just using the "coarse language" as relaxed adjectives. Not in anger or toward anyone, they just seem to talk that way casually.  Are they violating the rules by that, or are you more referring to someone being intentionally vulgar?

Appreciate all you do.
- Skunk

1 minute ago, Cokeyskunk said:

So, just to clarify: I myself use characters when indicating "coarse language", (i.e., "$#!+"), as I really don't care to swear -- but sometimes nothing else is as impactful. However, I have seen many others just using the "coarse language" as relaxed adjectives. Not in anger or toward anyone, they just seem to talk that way casually.  Are they violating the rules by that, or are you more referring to someone being intentionally vulgar?

Appreciate all you do.
- Skunk

I do this as well sometimes, but not put towards other forum members. Its in my own wording.

Correct; if someone is being intentionally vulgar that goes beyond regular ole' howdy-dos and so forth with nominal swearing, that's something to report. 

If someone uses a bad word (shit, fuck, bitch...etc)...that's not really cause to hit the report button. This is a forum with an M Rated game, you can swear...just don't be doing it in a giant tirade of anger against someone else. 

• Like 1

@GunMedia_Ben as per these guidelines reporting would be inappropriate for duplicate posts (accidentally submitted twice), duplicate topics (didn't use the search function first), etc., is there a good way to draw Administrative/Moderative attention to this type of content?

5 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

@GunMedia_Ben as per these guidelines reporting would be inappropriate for duplicate posts (accidentally submitted twice), duplicate topics (didn't use the search function first), etc., is there a good way to draw Administrative/Moderative attention to this type of content?

We'll review when able and take care of it. No need for reports as the mods/admin team will eventually tidy things up. If it's there for more than a day or so, then let us know. 

1 minute ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

We'll review when able and take care of it. No need for reports as the mods/admin team will eventually tidy things up. If it's there for more than a day or so, then let us know. 

Hey, thanks for responding. I'll proceed accordingly. I'm happy to follow along any guidelines that makes managing this place easier.

5 hours ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

Hi all!

Just reported this for a laugh and got a warning point. GG Ben. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, TheButtonMasher said:

Just reported this for a laugh and got a warning point. GG Ben. 

That's what you get for being so darned British.  :D

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

That's what you get for being so darned British.  :D

Gosh darn Americans :lol:

4 minutes ago, TheButtonMasher said:

Gosh darn Americans :lol:

Yes, we Yanks are as horrid as you Limeys.  ;) 

• Haha 1

I've seen several posts in the past by admins/mods that said, "Use the report function, that is what it is there for." "We appreciate the heads up." "Don't get into arguments, let the staff handle it."

Now it is, "Use the report function as a last resort."

🤔

See that big report button - Do not push it! Oh the temptation now...

In all honesty I have only used it once, well about 15 times on the same Korean spammer who ended up spamming 15 or so new threads. Guess the statistics were up on that day!

46 minutes ago, a kamikaze man said:

See that big report button - Do not push it! Oh the temptation now...

In all honesty I have only used it once, well about 15 times on the same Korean spammer who ended up spamming 15 or so new threads. Guess the statistics were up on that day!

Yeah, I reported that one as well. It was actually about 30 posts if I remember correctly. I've used the report function quite often. I'll be damned if I'm going to be bothered to worry with it anymore. 

That little spambot attack generated 14 reports by itself, all in all. Not the most I've seen here, but a busy little 38 minutes for the Report button.

Why not just get more mods?

Seems backwards to tell the ever-changing forum community about something no one will read in the Off-Topic section, where the mods can't keep up with the 50-60 members the board floats each day, instead of just adding a few more mods.

• Like 2

I'd want to make sure the cause is addressed rather than the symptom.

But already being considered.

4 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I vote @Brigadius for mod. He's the only person I know who has read the rules in their entirety.

You don't know me? Gosh, I'm hurt, Mr. Bears . . .  

6 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I vote @Brigadius for mod. He's the only person I know who has read the rules in their entirety.

I have as well read the rules forum :D

I feel hurt :(

4 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

You don't know me? Gosh, I'm hurt, Mr. Bears . . .  

3 minutes ago, TiffanyCox said:

I have as well read the rules forum :D

I feel hurt :(

Yourself, @Cokeyskunk and @Brigadius should be considered for mods then. Anyone who takes the time to learn the rules on their own accord should have a chance in my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you'll excuse the pun, I pushed the button a little too much in regards to another spam attack today. I was ignorant of the physical implications and annoyance I gave to the mod who got all my notifications. Jokes aside just don't do it.

Anyway, would it not be a good idea to have the ability for all users to see when a post or thread has already been reported by another user? For example showing with an icon the comment or topic has already been flagged or on the option to report it comes up saying 1 report already sent? I'm sure this would make life easier for us all and so that the mods don't get 10 reports regarding the same issue even if 10 people only sent 1 report.