Sign in to follow this  
Lex

Too hard to level up

It's way too hard to level up in this game, I've been playing since day 1 and I'm only level 88. My friends like this game but never feel inclined to play because it will take 350+ hours to get the new items, and that's with no hosts leaving or getting kicked. It takes roughly 10 games to level up once! And every round takes 15-20 minutes to complete. It feels unfair.

Use offline bots and do only environmental kills if you want to farm, you usually get a good 1,400 a pop, which is more than I get in a nornal round as Vanessa lmao.

Speaking of leveling up, does anyone know how much xp is needed to reach each level? Is there a chart or something somewhere that I'm not finding?

I never look prior, but do believe it's 10,000 XP per level after 101. 

As said on here numerous times, it's odd how you go from unlocking Part 4 Jason at level 44, to unlocking the next kills at 125. Quite the gap. It seems they wanted to give the prior level 101s something to keep playing for, but 81 levels worth of counselor dress up is not ideal. I am sure Uber Jason will fall in between that gap though.

Wasn't there an exact thread like this last week?

11 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

I never look prior, but do believe it's 10,000 XP per level after 101. 

As said on here numerous times, it's odd how you go from unlocking Part 4 Jason at level 44, to unlocking the next kills at 125. Quite the gap. It seems they wanted to give the prior level 101s something to keep playing for, but 81 levels worth of counselor dress up is not ideal. I am sure Uber Jason will fall in between that gap though.

Wasn't there an exact thread like this last week?

I agree, they definitely should have added a few kills and possibly the clothing packs into levels 50, 60, and 70's. It would have given lower level players the chance to unlock things earlier instead of grinding 50, 60 levels before they unlock anything. I also wish Part 4 (Heavy) bloody skin came earlier...My favorite Jason <_<

• Like 1

Most of the counselors probably unlock too early.

Giving how much people were spamming Vanessa in the final day or two of Beta.

I would've put her up into the 70s or 80s to be honest on launch. Bugsy somewhere in the 40s, etc.

The stamina/speed worshippers would've went to Chad and Tiffany next most likely, then maybe Adam but at least all of the same kind of characters wouldn't be available in levels 1-30.

I wish they would add more kills in that time. To me, the kills almost make the game.

Or even a perk system that wasn't RNG and made it so you can buy certain upgrades/perks after attaining "x" level. I spent 50,000 CP, with selling back perks as I rolled the other day. Level 126 and still don't have Epic Thick Skin nor Marathon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

I wish they would add more kills in that time. To me, the kills almost make the game.

Or even a perk system that wasn't RNG and made it so you can buy certain upgrades/perks after attaining "x" level. I spent 50,000 CP, with selling back perks as I rolled the other day. Level 126 and still don't have Epic Thick Skin nor Marathon. 

Love your new avatar :P

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TiffanyCox said:

Love your new avatar :P

Hahaha thank you. I almos t went with yours and @Brigadiustold me he made it just for you, so I had to let you stay original and recognizable. I may go with the "Jason, it's Mother" one he put up yesterday.

15 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Hahaha thank you. I almos t went with yours and @Brigadiustold me he made it just for you, so I had to let you stay original and recognizable. I may go with the "Jason, it's Mother" one he put up yesterday.

Well, thanks for using something different. I would have been fine with it, but your idea seems great! ;)

1 hour ago, tyrant666 said:

Most of the counselors probably unlock too early.

Giving how much people were spamming Vanessa in the final day or two of Beta.

I would've put her up into the 70s or 80s to be honest on launch. Bugsy somewhere in the 40s, etc.

Im not really sure what the point of adding levels/ranks to a game.. thats not a RPG.  Let alone why you think players should be higher level to use things..  Why?

IMO games like these need everything available to use from the start.. All Jasons, all kills, and all Counselors.   

It make no sense to have to rank up and play hundreds of hours just use certain counselors. clothing,  Jasons and Jason kills.  

31 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Im not really sure the point of adding levels/ranks to a game.. thats not a RPG.  Let alone why you think players should be higher level to use things..  Why?

IMO games like these need everything available to use from the start.. All Jasons, all kills, and all Counselors.   

It make no sense to have to rank up and play hundreds of hours just use certain counselors. clothing,  Jasons and Jason kills.  

Well...there are two trains of thought.

1. Reason/Incentive to play...which means unlockables...the trade off being frustration in having to unlock things.

2. Give away everything to start...which means no need for play to unlock...the trade off is being bored with lack of reason to play

I made a thread about this a long time back.

Only with the added bit about paying for DLC versus non paid DLC.

1. If its paid = A cash grab that should've been free

2. If its non paid = Lazy and rushed and it would've been better to be paid for, because somehow more effort would be put into it

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tyrant666 said:

1. Reason/Incentive to play...which means unlockables...the trade off being frustration in having to unlock things.

2. Give away everything to start...which means no need for play to unlock...the trade off is being bored with lack of reason to play

Isn't the reason for playing FUN?    I mean not for nothing but I HATE ranked locked anything in all games except RPGS.

One of my favorite games of all time has no carrot on the stick..  And people still play it religiously.    And that game is Left 4 Dead.

I feel as if games like BF and COD came out with this silly concept of locked items behind ranks and it sort of infected tons of games with that concept.

I never look at F13th ranks as incentives for playing.  But more as pointless hurdles and time i need to waste before using things that are locked behind ranks..Even tho i already PAYED for the game.

Id rather have PAID items to buy.. as new content.  And removal of ranked items.

5 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Isn't the reason for playing FUN?    I mean not for nothing but I HATE ranked locked anything in all games except RPGS.

One of my favorite games of all time has no carrot on the stick..  And people still play it religiously.    And that game is Left 4 Dead.

I feel as if games like BF and COD came out with this silly concept of locked items behind ranks and it sort of infected tons of games with that concept.

I never look at F13th ranks as incentives for playing.  But more as pointless hurdles and time i need to waste before using things that are locked behind ranks..Even tho i already PAYED for the game.

Id rather have PAID items to buy.. as new content.  And removal of ranked items.

That's why they do it. To keep you grinding levels and getting better at the game. Not because they want everyone to immediately have everything. That's getting your ass handed to you, and its not the way people should be treated. It's a game that is supposed to positive and fun, not negative or getting made fun of all the time.

8 minutes ago, TiffanyCox said:

That's why they do it. To keep you grinding levels and getting better at the game. Not because they want everyone to immediately have everything

.. Whats the point of grinding in a game like F13th?  Its not RPG..   I never grinded anything in Left 4 Dead and i still play that...? 

Why do i need incentive to play? If i play for amusement because the games fun thats all the incentive I need.

Also..Who cares if everyone has everything?  At what point did that become an issue?

I mean.. i understand that some of you may like 'grinding' for no reason just to waste time because you need to feel as if you accomplished something.  But people like me really don't care and see rank locked items as a more a pointless concept thats not needed.  Its just a waste of time. 

Some people don't want to GRIND in this game..   When i level in this game and unlock things the only thing im thinking is "Glad thats over with"

28 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

I made a thread about this a long time back.

Only with the added bit about paying for DLC versus non paid DLC.

1. If its paid = A cash crab that should've been free

2. If its non paid = Lazy and rushed and it would've been better to be paid for, because somehow more effort would be put into it

Well, that about nailed it perfectly.:lol:

• Like 1

Well...people do grind for achievements. The difference is content isn't locked to it.

Left 4 Dead 2 also has a workshop in which content creators can create their own maps, clothes, etc that people can add for free.

Valve more or less stopped adding their own DLC content to Left 4 Dead 2 YEARS AGO. The game has survived because of its fun factor and cheap sales, but the non standard modes basically died out because they aren't 'the game as it was meant to be played'. Which is what would happen to this game if the Devs tried to add more modes, in particular modes that favor Jason in any way. Its almost a lock to happen.

Same thing in Left 4 Dead 2. Anything that's slanted towards infected or not considered balanced for survivor is avoided at all costs. People buy constant alt accounts so they can bypass the block system and continue to friendly fire people and grief in other means in the standard modes. So believe it or not...F13 isn't the only game in gaming history that has trolls and griefers.

There are modded server/community server communities in that game too, but again anything that doesn't favor survivor is frowned upon. People do one of two things when they join a modded server, grief and then leave or just leave.

17 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

.. Whats the point of grinding in a game like F13th?  Its not RPG..   I never grinded anything in Left 4 Dead and i still play that...? 

Why do i need incentive to play? If i play for amusement because the games fun thats all the incentive I need.

Also..Who cares if everyone has everything?  At what point did that become an issue?

I mean.. i understand that some of you may like 'grinding' for no reason just to waste time because you need to feel as if you accomplished something.  But people like me really don't care and see rank locked items as a more a pointless concept thats not needed.  Its just a waste of time. 

Some people don't want to GRIND in this game..   When i level in this game and unlock things the only thing im thinking is "Glad thats over with"

I never said it become a issue. I am just stating that the game is still fun even though there are a few downsides. Point proven.

6 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

Well...people do grind for achievements. The difference is content isn't locked to it.

Left 4 Dead 2 also has a workshop in which content creators can create their own maps, clothes, etc that people can add for free.

Meh... Never cared for acheevos either.   Just pointless numbers.

But for whats worth  I still play it on Xbox one and on PC.  Sure the mods make it so much better on PC.   But thats the thing.. You don't grind to use mods..  You just use them.,

5 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

Valve more or less stopped adding their own DLC content to Left 4 Dead 2 YEARS AGO. The game has survived because of its fun factor and cheap sales, but the non standard modes basically died out because they aren't 'the game as it was meant to be played'. Which is what would happen to this game if the Devs tried to add more modes, in particular modes that favor Jason in any way. Its almost a lock to happen.

Same thing in Left 4 Dead 2. Anything that's slanted towards infected or not considered balanced for survivor is avoided at all costs. People buy constant alt accounts so they can bypass the block system and continue to friendly fire people and grief in other means in the standard modes. So believe it or not...F13 isn't the only game in gaming history that has trolls and griefers.

There are modded server/community server communities in that game too, but again anything that doesn't favor survivor is frowned upon. People do one of two things when they join a modded server, grief and then leave or just leave.

I would just ignore him, he always has to win arguments and honestly its annoying. He will always think there is no point in grinding, because it seems he gets everything he wants already <_<

5 minutes ago, TiffanyCox said:

I would just ignore him, he always has to win arguments and honestly its annoying. He will always think there is no point in grinding, because it seems he gets everything he wants already <_<

Im not arguing with anyone..   Its just my opinion and we are just talking being chill about it.

And ya.. IMO theres no point in grinding in games that don't need grinding.  ..It may come as shock to you, but I prefer to use everything i own when i buy it. Not wait to use what I purchased by playing for extended periods of time before using it.    We don't live forever.

Imagine buying a new car.. But you can't use the radio in the car till you have driven at least 1000 miles.  Because thats how it feels to me when having to grind in NON RPGS to use locked items in a game.

11 hours ago, HuDawg said:

I played the hell out of L4D. Looks like I'm gonna be taking a stroll down memory lane this weekend.

To the OP, leveling up is like that in most games. The higher the level, the longer it takes. Use offline mode, or private match with your friends, as either can save you time.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2018 at 6:25 AM, Lex said:

It's way too hard to level up in this game, I've been playing since day 1 and I'm only level 88. My friends like this game but never feel inclined to play because it will take 350+ hours to get the new items, and that's with no hosts leaving or getting kicked. It takes roughly 10 games to level up once! And every round takes 15-20 minutes to complete. It feels unfair.

The first thing to keep in mind if you want to level up fast is to NEVER leave a match even if you die, so you always have the 500 points for completing the match, and you can learn stuff by watching other play.

Second thing, always do as much different action as you can at least one time (barricade a door, grab a car/boat part, successfully put that part in, repair a powerbox, hit jason, set a trap, etc.)... and if you manage to have the grinder perk you can have max +5% xp on your counselor, so all this little actions will pay more.

Or you can farm xp in Offline mod (especially when there is double xp event), by letting the bot call tommy and kill everyone with ENVIRONMENTAL kill (for 50 extra points), destroy at least on powerbox and trap at least one counselor, giving you around 1300 point every 10-15min (8 x 100p+50p for the kills + 50p for trapping a counselor + 50 for destroying a powerbox). On double xp event it's 2600/10-15min so you should gather around 10000xp by hour.

On 1/10/2018 at 11:55 AM, HuDawg said:

Im not arguing with anyone..   Its just my opinion and we are just talking being chill about it.

And ya.. IMO theres no point in grinding in games that don't need grinding.  ..It may come as shock to you, but I prefer to use everything i own when i buy it. Not wait to use what I purchased by playing for extended periods of time before using it.    We don't live forever.

Imagine buying a new car.. But you can't use the radio in the car till you have driven at least 1000 miles.  Because thats how it feels to me when having to grind in NON RPGS to use locked items in a game.

Progression systems have been the norm for over a decade now and they aren’t going anywhere, so you might want to go ahead and accept that. Secondly, it’s not as if the progression systems in multiplayer games caught on because the majority of gamers didn’t like them. Most people enjoy having a goal/something to work towards, it’s when people have nothing else to do when multiplayer games start to go downhill and people get bored. Now I’m aware that a lot of that doesn’t seem to apply to you, but that still means you’re in the smallest minority and therefore not the type of player that most companies will cater to.

And to be realistic, a progression system in multiplayer isn’t all that different from a single player game locking off weapons or abilities until you PROGRESS far enough into the game’s campaign/story. Now you could argue that these unlocks could correlate to the game’s story itself, but that reasoning doesn’t hold up in the inevitable New Game Plus modes.

As for comparing a game to a car... You’d know if the car had a working radio or not beforehand? Same as how you’d know whether or not a game had a progression system. So...

The problem with Friday the 13ths progression is what people have already mentioned before: there are too few unlocks and the gaps between many of them are far too large. The reasoning for the executions is apparently to give incentive to the people who had already hit level 100, but this does nothing for those between whatever level you unlock Part IV and level 100+.