Jump to content
TheHansonGoons

Celebrating Lovecraftian Lore

Recommended Posts

@Rexfellis @Risinggrave 

I felt bad derailing your horror remake thread, but felt there is so much more to explore with Lovecraft and his influence in movies, music, comics, video games and art. 

One of my favorite missions in Fallout 4 explores The Pickman's Model, one of my favorite stories from H.P. 

The Stuart Gordon version of Dagon was really good. I enjoyed the performance of the guy that played Ezra.

Do you guys remember the film called Necronomicon? I haven't watched it in over 15 years, so it's one I want to get in my collection again. Let's just say last time I saw it I had rented the VHS from Blockbuster and recorded it to another VHS.

Don't know if either of you read many comics, but Alan Moore did a fantastic series on his take of Lovecraft called Providence. Besides Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, some of the Fables series and Clive Barker's Nightbreed, I don't read many other comics personally.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheHansonGoons No worries man. I didn't think the thread got derailed, I thought the discussion fit in perfectly with the topic. :) 

I honestly never played Fallout 4. But I might check it out for that mission alone. I always wanted to play it, but my gaming time is extremely limited these days.

Gordon does seem like a true fan of Lovecraft. You can see it in his films. One of my favorite directors.

You can get Necronomicon on Amazon. The Blu-Ray price was outrageous, so I got it on DVD. It holds up pretty well.

I was never really much of a comic reader. I kept up with a few different horror series, and I was addicted to X-Men comics for a while.

It is really mind-boggling when you think about how much Lovecraft has influenced movies, music, tv, and pretty much any form of media. It is a shame that he was never appreciated while he was still alive. Truly a man that was ahead of his time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

@TheHansonGoons No worries man. I didn't think the thread got derailed, I thought the discussion fit in perfectly with the topic. :) 

I honestly never played Fallout 4. But I might check it out for that mission alone. I always wanted to play it, but my gaming time is extremely limited these days.

Gordon does seem like a true fan of Lovecraft. You can see it in his films. One of my favorite directors.

You can get Necronomicon on Amazon. The Blu-Ray price was outrageous, so I got it on DVD. It holds up pretty well.

I was never really much of a comic reader. I kept up with a few different horror series, and I was addicted to X-Men comics for a while.

It is really mind-boggling when you think about how much Lovecraft has influenced movies, music, tv, and pretty much any form of media. It is a shame that he was never appreciated while he was still alive. Truly a man that was ahead of his time.

Agreed. Just considered pulp trash, yet Metallica writes songs based off his writings. 

As for Alan Moore's Providence, it's a great comic series. Explores a bit of his mythos and stories as well as referring to King in Yellow. One great twist to it is how Lovecraft was homophobic, he made the main character gay. It's a fun exploration and homage to the great one though.

It's just like Poe's poem the Raven sold for $9. Don't get me wrong with inflation over the years it's a different ballgame, but art that has spawned several stories including the Simpsons should be more valued.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

esNgQG3.jpgwhenever religious fanatics hand you a pamphlet, hand them one of those.

Have any of you seen Huan Vu's Colour Out of Space?

Albert Pyun's Cool Air? Or the similar movie Chill from Serve Rodnunsky?

I have heard good things about The Corrupted, but haven't seen it. Worth a watch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the story that the Re-Animator film was based off of, Herbert West: Re-Animator by Lovecraft some time ago.

It's set around the time of World War I involving Herbert West and his assistant in reanimating corpses that eventually brings them to the battlefield of World War I. The book version of Dr. Hill (can't remember the name of the guy who got decapitated in the film) is a Colonel and West actually does get killed by his own creations whereas Dr. West still seems to be alive after Beyond Re-Animator.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love me some Lovecraft too.

I got 2 books,the Shadow over Innsmouth and another one wich is a compilation of 6 stories. (Dagon,The Nameless City,Imprisoned with the Pharaons,The Call of Cthulhu,At the Mountains of Madness and The Shadow out of Time.)

I know that the first Alone in the Dark had some in-game refferences to Lovecraft lore.

exemples from that game : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyOorNQm120

There's also the game Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth,wich is also quite nice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2018 at 1:44 AM, FreakyFrank1 said:

I love me some Lovecraft too.

I got 2 books,the Shadow over Innsmouth and another one wich is a compilation of 6 stories. (Dagon,The Nameless City,Imprisoned with the Pharaons,The Call of Cthulhu,At the Mountains of Madness and The Shadow out of Time.)

I know that the first Alone in the Dark had some in-game refferences to Lovecraft lore.

exemples from that game : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyOorNQm120

There's also the game Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth,wich is also quite nice.

The first Alone in the Dark has some quite some references to Lovecraft as well as the mansion scene after you die.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Don't know if you guys have seen this upcoming game at all. I can't wait for it.

@FreakyFrank1 I never got a chance to play that game. Was it PC only?

wich one ? Alone in the Dark or Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth ?

The original Alone in the dark was released on PC,3DO,Mac and IOS,the 2nd game came out on PC,3DO,Playstation and Sega Saturn,the 3rd game was released only on PC and finally the 4th game called Alone in the Dark:The New Nightmare was released on PS1,PS2,PC,Dreamcast and Gameboy Color. (from 1992 to 2001)

As for Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth,it was released only on the original Xbox and PC back in 2005/2006.

I got the game on my old Xbox (the original,not the 360 one) and it's actually quite interesting,it's like a first person survival horror.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

This seems like a good spot for this:

 

I was watching those videos the other day. Love them! I think it was Bloody Disgusting that did an article on it where I saw it. Amazing how their meters match.

@FreakyFrank1 I was talking about CoC: Dark Corners. I remember Alone in the Dark. Wish I would have known about the Xbox Original CoC 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

@TheHansonGoons @Rexfellis I just recently saw a mind screw movie titled Enemy. Final scene scared the fuck out of me. I think you two may like it.

Looks like it might be a good thriller. I'll check it out. Thanks for the rec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

Looks like it might be a good thriller. I'll check it out. Thanks for the rec.

I liked it. It's definitely a slow burn film, but worth a viewing. 

 

And because I forgot to respond when this thread was made..

 

On 1/7/2018 at 2:28 PM, TheHansonGoons said:

@Rexfellis @Risinggrave 

I felt bad derailing your horror remake thread, but felt there is so much more to explore with Lovecraft and his influence in movies, music, comics, video games and art. 

One of my favorite missions in Fallout 4 explores The Pickman's Model, one of my favorite stories from H.P. 

The Stuart Gordon version of Dagon was really good. I enjoyed the performance of the guy that played Ezra.

Do you guys remember the film called Necronomicon? I haven't watched it in over 15 years, so it's one I want to get in my collection again. Let's just say last time I saw it I had rented the VHS from Blockbuster and recorded it to another VHS.

Don't know if either of you read many comics, but Alan Moore did a fantastic series on his take of Lovecraft called Providence. Besides Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, some of the Fables series and Clive Barker's Nightbreed, I don't read many other comics personally.

It's always fun to go kill Pickman. 

I don't recall the movie, Necronomicon. Is it worth tracking down?

I like comics. Tbh, I really want to check out Simonson's Ragnarok which has a Zombie Thor in it. I haven't read Providence to my knowledge, but I did check out some Mythos stuff at the library a few years back. I recall Nyarlathotep driving somebody insane either by speaking his true name or showing his true form. I'd like to see if I can go back and find it again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Risinggrave said:

@TheHansonGoons @Rexfellis I just recently saw a mind screw movie titled Enemy. Final scene scared the fuck out of me. I think you two may like it.

Thanks for the recommendation! Will definitely check it out.

Just got my blu ray of From Beyond(which thr movie is a continuation of the events from thr Lovecraft story) not long ago. Have the waxwork records soundtrack of it too. Love that movie. Maybe more than Re-animator. Ordered the upcoming Blu Ray release of Re-animator too. Can't wait for that. Brian Yuzna and Jeffrey Combs have a knack for bringing Lovecraft to life. 

Have any of you seen Spring? It was pretty good. Not Lovecraft, but worth a check out. 

Same directors have a film coming out called The Endless, which looks to be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - H.P Lovecraft

 

Here's a great online game based off his work called De-Animator. It's a point and click style third person side scroller shooter. Very addicting and is what introduced me to Lovecraft. Me and my friends played the heck out of this in middle school whenever we were supposed to be proofreading English papers and working on our typing class homework. 

http://www.de-animator.com/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   I have read every H.P. Lovecraft story I could get my hands on. Incredible work. He was quite homophobic and racist, which does not go over well with the easily offended people today. But you could say the same of most writers of that time and any time before. All writers are creatures of their times.
  Guillermo del Toro has in the last few years been trying to get a movie adaptation of: At the Mountains of Madness made. He has not been successful and I don't know if he has given up. I remember him saying something about a lack of a love interest being one of the biggest problems. Not sure why that is a problem, though I can name very few movie with out some kind of love interest at least, the original Predator comes to mind and it did fine at the box office.
   There are some old Lovecraft movie adaptations that many are not aware of, such as: The Haunted Palace (based on the strange case of Charles Dexter Ward), Die Monster, Die (based on the Colour of Outer Space), and lets not forget the Dunwich Horror (1970). There are many more I have never seen.
    I remember reading in Fangoria magazine back in the 80's about an attempt to make a movie based on the Shadow over Innsmouth, but all I can remember about that is they went over budget on costumes alone and it never got made.
    There are at least two good documentarys on youtube about Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown and the Strange Life of H.P. Lovecraft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2018 at 12:53 AM, TheHansonGoons said:

Thanks for the recommendation! Will definitely check it out.

Just got my blu ray of From Beyond(which thr movie is a continuation of the events from thr Lovecraft story) not long ago. Have the waxwork records soundtrack of it too. Love that movie. Maybe more than Re-animator. Ordered the upcoming Blu Ray release of Re-animator too. Can't wait for that. Brian Yuzna and Jeffrey Combs have a knack for bringing Lovecraft to life. 

Have any of you seen Spring? It was pretty good. Not Lovecraft, but worth a check out. 

Same directors have a film coming out called The Endless, which looks to be good.

I haven't seen Spring. I'll have to look it up, it seems. I'll try to remember to keep an eye out for The Endless as well. 

With that, I should get @Rexfellis here as well. 

I just caught a short film called AM1200. It might be up your alley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Risinggrave I have Re-Animator on DVD (will be getting the Blu-Ray, one of my favorite 80s flicks) and From Beyond on Blu-Ray. Haven't see Spring or The Endless yet. Those are two that will be on my radar now. I caught AM1200 a couple of days ago. It was definitely interesting. I'm glad they went with the short format, and didn't try to drag it out into a full-length feature. Had a great Lovecratian feel and the story was well told. I think @TheHansonGoons will really like it, if he hasn't checked it out yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dtB4sOu.jpg

Just got these two in the mail today. Should be some good watches for the weekend. 

I will definitely look for AM1200 and Enemy looks good. 

@Ahab, it would be great for GdT to finish That! I could see him struggling with that though with the way he builds upon love so much in his stories. Guillermo is great at capturing monsters and love, but  he may struggle in developing attachment without them. The Thing  could b3 another film without love. Although there is the love for the dogs. So I should probably take that back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Just got these two in the mail today. Should be some good watches for the weekend. 

I will definitely look for AM1200

Dagon gets a like. 

AM1200 is linked in my post, and here too. It's a 40 minute short film you can watch for free. It's worth the time.

 

And an edit for @Rexfellis Agreed. It didn't drag, and the tension worked throughout. It would have been a chore to keep it slowburning for another 45 minutes. Also both of us catching it in this timeframe is a bit weird. I was looking at Nightmare Fuel on TV Tropes when I learned of it. Where did you stumble across it's path?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Risinggrave said:

And an edit for @Rexfellis Agreed. It didn't drag, and the tension worked throughout. It would have been a chore to keep it slowburning for another 45 minutes. Also both of us catching it in this timeframe is a bit weird. I was looking at Nightmare Fuel on TV Tropes when I learned of it. Where did you stumble across it's path?

It was actually recommended to me by a friend in Austin, TX . He graduated with a film degree from UT, but unfortunately hasn't been able to make a career out of it yet. But, he and I spend way too much time on the phone talking about movies every couple of weeks. I think the conversation was, "This is one that is right up your alley bro." So, I checked it out, and he was right.

You are absolutely right about the tension, it was not only a good short film to watch, it was a fun short film to watch. And you have to love the fact that Ray Wise is in it. He's that character actor that everyone recognizes, but, most couldn't even name a movie he was in. :lol:

@TheHansonGoons That is a sweet Saturday delivery bro. Not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheHansonGoons I have those too. I own a rather extensive movie library of DVDs. Dagon could have been done better with a bigger budget, but I still liked it. The Re-Animator was a great movie. Jeffrey Combs was spectacular in that. Although I would have loved to see a movie done closer to the original story, alas it was not meant to be. With all the remakes coming out these days though, who knows what we will see in the coming years. I was not overly fond of the Bride of he Re-Animator though.
   I think Del Toro would do an awesome job with At the Mountains of Madness and I would very much like to see it. Unfortunately I have not heard him even bring the subject up in over a year, but we can always hope.
   And with that, here is something Lovecraft fans may find amusing.

   .........................................................5a88edd75c514_FunFact.jpg.95ccf30ca88c86d6f7b7788952175f73.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ahab said:

@TheHansonGoons I have those too. I own a rather extensive movie library of DVDs. Dagon could have been done better with a bigger budget, but I still liked it. The Re-Animator was a great movie. Jeffrey Combs was spectacular in that. Although I would have loved to see a movie done closer to the original story, alas it was not meant to be. With all the remakes coming out these days though, who knows what we will see in the coming years. I was not overly fond of the Bride of he Re-Animator though.
   I think Del Toro would do an awesome job with At the Mountains of Madness and I would very much like to see it. Unfortunately I have not heard him even bring the subject up in over a year, but we can always hope.
   And with that, here is something Lovecraft fans may find amusing.

   .........................................................5a88edd75c514_FunFact.jpg.95ccf30ca88c86d6f7b7788952175f73.jpg

Yuzna always had a way of going off tangent and using the story, but then doing the kind of what happens after for his films. His humor also has a way of taking away from the Lovecraft stories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

It was actually recommended to me by a friend in Austin, TX . He graduated with a film degree from UT, but unfortunately hasn't been able to make a career out of it yet. But, he and I spend way too much time on the phone talking about movies every couple of weeks. I think the conversation was, "This is one that is right up your alley bro." So, I checked it out, and he was right.

You are absolutely right about the tension, it was not only a good short film to watch, it was a fun short film to watch. And you have to love the fact that Ray Wise is in it. He's that character actor that everyone recognizes, but, most couldn't even name a movie he was in. :lol:

@TheHansonGoons That is a sweet Saturday delivery bro. Not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous.

It also came with the new Victor Crowley, the new Friday 1-8 collection and some of the Season 1 Masters of Horror blu-rays. I splurged for my bday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×