Sign in to follow this  
TheHansonGoons

Celebrating Lovecraftian Lore

@Rexfellis @Risinggrave 

I felt bad derailing your horror remake thread, but felt there is so much more to explore with Lovecraft and his influence in movies, music, comics, video games and art. 

One of my favorite missions in Fallout 4 explores The Pickman's Model, one of my favorite stories from H.P. 

The Stuart Gordon version of Wagon was really good. I enjoyed the performance of the guy that played Ezra.

Do you guys remember the film called Necronomicon? I haven't watched it in over 15 years, so it's one I want to get in my collection again. Let's just say last time I saw it I had rented the VHS from Blockbuster and recorded it to another VHS.

Don't know if either of you read many comics, but Alan Moore did a fantastic series on his take of Lovecraft called Providence. Besides Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, some of the Fables series and Clive Barker's Nightbreed, I don't read many other comics personally.

• Like 1

@TheHansonGoons No worries man. I didn't think the thread got derailed, I thought the discussion fit in perfectly with the topic. :) 

I honestly never played Fallout 4. But I might check it out for that mission alone. I always wanted to play it, but my gaming time is extremely limited these days.

Gordon does seem like a true fan of Lovecraft. You can see it in his films. One of my favorite directors.

You can get Necronomicon on Amazon. The Blu-Ray price was outrageous, so I got it on DVD. It holds up pretty well.

I was never really much of a comic reader. I kept up with a few different horror series, and I was addicted to X-Men comics for a while.

It is really mind-boggling when you think about how much Lovecraft has influenced movies, music, tv, and pretty much any form of media. It is a shame that he was never appreciated while he was still alive. Truly a man that was ahead of his time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

@TheHansonGoons No worries man. I didn't think the thread got derailed, I thought the discussion fit in perfectly with the topic. :) 

I honestly never played Fallout 4. But I might check it out for that mission alone. I always wanted to play it, but my gaming time is extremely limited these days.

Gordon does seem like a true fan of Lovecraft. You can see it in his films. One of my favorite directors.

You can get Necronomicon on Amazon. The Blu-Ray price was outrageous, so I got it on DVD. It holds up pretty well.

I was never really much of a comic reader. I kept up with a few different horror series, and I was addicted to X-Men comics for a while.

It is really mind-boggling when you think about how much Lovecraft has influenced movies, music, tv, and pretty much any form of media. It is a shame that he was never appreciated while he was still alive. Truly a man that was ahead of his time.

Agreed. Just considered pulp trash, yet Metallica writes songs based off his writings. 

As for Alan Moore's Providence, it's a great comic series. Explores a bit of his mythos and stories as well as referring to King in Yellow. One great twist to it is how Lovecraft was homophobic, he made the main character gay. It's a fun exploration and homage to the great one though.

It's just like Poe's poem the Raven sold for $9. Don't get me wrong with inflation over the years it's a different ballgame, but art that has spawned several stories including the Simpsons should be more valued.

• Like 1

esNgQG3.jpgwhenever religious fanatics hand you a pamphlet, hand them one of those.

Have any of you seen Huan Vu's Colour Out of Space?

Albert Pyun's Cool Air? Or the similar movie Chill from Serve Rodnunsky?

I have heard good things about The Corrupted, but haven't seen it. Worth a watch?

I read the story that the Re-Animator film was based off of, Herbert West: Re-Animator by Lovecraft some time ago.

It's set around the time of World War I involving Herbert West and his assistant in reanimating corpses that eventually brings them to the battlefield of World War I. The book version of Dr. Hill (can't remember the name of the guy who got decapitated in the film) is a Colonel and West actually does get killed by his own creations whereas Dr. West still seems to be alive after Beyond Re-Animator.

• Like 1

I love me some Lovecraft too.

I got 2 books,the Shadow over Innsmouth and another one wich is a compilation of 6 stories. (Dagon,The Nameless City,Imprisoned with the Pharaons,The Call of Cthulhu,At the Mountains of Madness and The Shadow out of Time.)

I know that the first Alone in the Dark had some in-game refferences to Lovecraft lore.

exemples from that game : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyOorNQm120

There's also the game Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth,wich is also quite nice.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 1:44 AM, FreakyFrank1 said:

I love me some Lovecraft too.

I got 2 books,the Shadow over Innsmouth and another one wich is a compilation of 6 stories. (Dagon,The Nameless City,Imprisoned with the Pharaons,The Call of Cthulhu,At the Mountains of Madness and The Shadow out of Time.)

I know that the first Alone in the Dark had some in-game refferences to Lovecraft lore.

exemples from that game : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyOorNQm120

There's also the game Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth,wich is also quite nice.

The first Alone in the Dark has some quite some references to Lovecraft as well as the mansion scene after you die.

• Like 1