Sign in to follow this  

It seems like the quick play lobbies are overwhelmed with new players, I'm currently in a lobby with people who range from level 3-27. 

What is your opinion on this?

Do you think it's a good thing or a bad thing or maybe both?

Personally I don't really care because everyone was new at some point.

The holidays have brought in an influx of new players. It seems like many of them are young kids.

3 minutes ago, Gummybish said:

Do you think it's a good thing or a bad thing or maybe both?

I can't see how it can be anything but good for the game. We were all new players at one point. Of course, new players means new trolls, but trolls have been part of this game since the beta. I say bring on all of the new players we can get. The more people spend money on the game means more resources for the developers to fix problems. I actually spend a lot of my public lobby time trying to coach and help out new players. It really is fun, at least for me.

• Like 4

Why would it ever be Considered bad that there is an influx of new players in a game??!  Everybody was new a some point, jeez. 

Some people are complaining that all these new players are essentially ruining the game because of how inexperienced they are. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gummybish said:

Some people are complaining that all these new players are essentially ruining the game because of how inexperienced they are.

Everyone has to learn sometime. I think the new players overall will be good for the game (minus trolls of course). Once in awhile I pop into QP and then promptly check the lobby to see what levels I'm dealing with. I realize level doesn't necessarily dictate skill (just time invested), but if I see a whole room of level 25's and below I expect to have to do a hard carry for the lobby. If I'm Jason, I try to play a bit more casual so I don't grind them down and make them hate the experience. I've jumped into QP lobbies before and had one of the newer players actually check my level (freak out) and the whole lobby scatters like roaches. :( This sometimes happens even after the patches that have buffed up the counselors. Seems most of the newer players just want an easy time and if they know they will be facing a challenge; they opt out.

Here are a few things to consider:

1) how can more players be bad? Either they are new sheep for the slaughter, or possible new friends to make.

2) we weren't all great at first. It can be frustrating to see the old rookie mistakes being repeated(taking objective parts further from the objective point, Tommy's escaping with no one else, people escaping with phone fuses, simply bad at mini games yet they want to hold the part as Chad in front of a fixing character, running over your traps and ruining it as well as killing themselves). However, having patience and teaching them can also be a fresh and rewarding feeling. 

3) we all thought this game, and the forums, were getting stale. It's nice to see fresh camper blood.

4) this was actually a question I almost started a thread on: are new Jason players going to be better than old Jason players?? The reason being, they never experienced the old grab range. They never knew a camp without several pocket knives and shotguns. They are learning with a nerfed, weak Jason. They have to learn in the battlefield that is Camp Crystal lakes. I have seen some level 20s wiping before Rage mode. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

4) this was actually a question I almost started a thread on: are new Jason players going to be better than old Jason players?? The reason being, they never experienced the old grab range. They never knew a camp without several pocket knives and shotguns. They are learning with a nerfed, weak Jason. They have to learn in the battlefield that is Camp Crystal lakes. I have seen some level 20s wiping before Rage mode. 

Well "trial by fire" is a way to get skill level up quick. It is how counselor players got so damn good in early days of release. You HAD to be friggin' good or Jason would violate you and not even give you the dignity of a reach-around. I can certainly see in the current meta new Jason players having to become pretty good (at least at slashing :lol:) to survive in the environment they've been presented. I actually worry that IF game balance is sorted, and being a counselor actually becomes challenging again, we will be stuck with a bunch of slashers for a few months because that is how they learned to succeed early on.

Either way. Nobody ever got good because a game was easy. I'd pit level 25 or less players from 5 months ago against the typical new player now any day of the week and expect them to be much better counselors. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gummybish said:

I had so many experienced players ruining the game before the holiday influx of newbies that the newbies haven’t really bothered me all that much.  

In fact, I have experienced LESS team killing and that type of trolling since the holiday.  I don’t know why or what to make of it, it’s just an observation I guess.  

24 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

are new Jason players going to be better than old Jason players?? The reason being, they never experienced the old grab range. They never knew a camp without several pocket knives and shotguns. They are learning with a nerfed, weak Jason. They have to learn in the battlefield that is Camp Crystal lakes. I have seen some level 20s wiping before Rage mode. 

I think that if the Jason balance is fixed, some of these new people might really be a force to be reckoned with. Much the way some of the more experienced counselor players are now. There is a lot to be said for learning skills the hard way. On the flipside, if the scale is tipped back into Jason's favor, I'm afraid that there will be many more rage quitting counselors. I will admit that it is a tricky thing to balance.

17 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

Either way. Nobody ever got good because a game was easy. I'd pit level 25 or less players from 5 months ago against the typical new player now any day of the week and expect them to be much better counselors. ;)

My thoughts exactly. I find being a counselor now to be way too easy, but that is because I had my ass handed to me many times during the Beta, and the first few months after launch. I had to get better, or spend a lot of time spectating. I am really hoping the devs figure out how to make this game more enjoyable for all of us. Much like I miss the thrill of being scared of horror flicks as a kid, I miss the stress of a Raging Jason focusing on me in the early days of release of this game.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

I miss the thrill of being scared of horror flicks as a kid, I miss the stress of a Raging Jason focusing on me in the early days of release of this game.

It was certainly more thrilling knowing Jason was after you. If you got an escape, melee stun n' run, or even lasted most of the match, you felt like you really put in a good amount of effort. I loved counselor gameplay a lot more back then. When you played Jason and a counselor was ruining your rhythm back then, you knew you were facing skills earned the hard way. It was gratifying if you got the kill, and nothing but respect if they got away from you with an escape/time out. I miss that.:(

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

When you played Jason and a counselor was ruining your rhythm back then, you knew you were facing skills earned the hard way. It was gratifying if you got the kill, and nothing but respect if they got away from you with an escape/time out. I miss that.:(

Me too bro, me too. 😕Occasionally, you get that thrill, jump scare from a stalking Jason that appears out of nowhere, and the nail-biting escape in the car that reminds you why you've loved this game from day 1. Unfortunately, those moments are too few and far between now.

• Like 1

New players who actually stick with the game is the #1 thing needed to keep it going. If anything we need more of it, and on a constant basis. Influx of new players can only be a good thing.

New players don't bother me at all....

Unless they refuse to listen when you try to explain what to do/how the game works,scream,and act like children (which they usually are).

New players are a really good thing. I admit though, it's a little irritating when they don't know the etiquette of the game yet like to barricade doors, run or at least mark the parts, do not barge in and search a cabin someone else is already in looting, do not talk constantly, do not set traps in derpy places, do not come clomping after me with Vanessa like I've got candy then sprint away after showing Jason where we are . 

Rant over lol they'e a good thing even if they get you killed a couple times. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lady_goldfish said:

New players are a really good thing. I admit though, it's a little irritating when they don't know the etiquette of the game yet like to barricade doors, run or at least mark the parts, do not barge in and search a cabin someone else is already in looting, do not talk constantly, do not set traps in derpy places, do not come clomping after me with Vanessa like I've got candy then sprint away after showing Jason where we are . 

It's so cute though having new players hit you with weapons expecting to kill you only to have their weapon break.

2 hours ago, Lady_goldfish said:

Etiquette?  Surely, the lady doth protest too much, methinks.

If Jason is chasing me, I'll run to the nearest cabin, occupants be damned.

Are you on the road while I'm in the car?  The loss of 1000 points isn't going to make me even THINK about tapping the brakes.

In a room full of Randos, especially mute Randos, I'm rolling Chad and looking out for #1 (maybe Tiffany if I want to change it up).

Traps in "derpy" places?  The best place for a trap is where Jason isn't going to expect it.  Any noob can trap the doorway, but it takes pure genius to trap around the side of the cabin where Jason will inevitably chase you, or trap near (but not on top of) the phone box.

I'll also trap right outside an outhouse, just to waste Jason's time (you wouldn't believe the number of times that's worked).

The only thing that aggravates me is when someone comes back as Tommy Jarvis, and refuses to pick up the axe I drop in front of them while I'm wearing the sweater.  I've had it happen half a dozen times or so in the last week.

3 hours ago, Lady_goldfish said:

If anything, they might be looking to grab something in the very same cabin, because they might be trying to learn where stuff spawns. As someone who has played for quite a while, you learn where the good stuff is. Rather that competing with newcomers, I'll go to where no one else does, and stock up there instead.

15 minutes ago, Bropollocreed79 said:

Traps in "derpy" places?  The best place for a trap is where Jason isn't going to expect it.  Any noob can trap the doorway, but it takes pure genius to trap around the side of the cabin where Jason will inevitably chase you, or trap near (but not on top of) the phone box.

I'm a big fan of doing that. Nothing makes the day more worthwhile than coaxing Jason into a well placed trap, and hearing the reaction afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was in a mostly friend-made lobby last night and only one rando joined since we kept it public. Level 18. Ended up being Jason in our first match. I nearly lost my shit with gigglefits when one of my friends started complaining his ASS off, just saying over and over, "WHO WOULD DO THAT, THAT MAKES NO SENSE, WHO WOULD DO THAT, WHY WOULD HE DO THAT, THAT'S SO STUPID, THAT'S SO -- OH FUCK HE GOT ME, HE GOT ME--"

Why?

Because this Jason either didn't know or didn't care about things like meta and decided to set a trap randomly out in the open. Which my friend, expecting nothing, walked right into. And this newbie Jason morphed right to him.

After this Jason got me, too, the friend was STILL complaining.

"WHO WOULD DO THAT, THAT MAKES NO SENSE," whined my crybaby friend, tears filled with salt.

"Aren't you dead?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"Makes sense to me." I tip my hat to the random Jason.

Epilogue: the very next match, I was Jason, and I decided "screw meta" and proceeded to not place a single trap, guard a single objective, and just did everything they wouldn't expect. Morphed to the lodge IMMEDIATELY at the start despite only the two-seater being there, proceeded to find four people hovering outside the lodge, and heard their salty, raging babbling as I did nothing but chase all four down in a matter of 3 minutes and massacre them, including the aforementioned king crybaby. By then, the four-seater was repaired and the other four people got out and the match ended in literally 4 minutes, but I was fine with that. I just wanted to screw with people's expectations and give king crybaby something to really bitch about. And oh he did. For another hour straight. Bless.

• Haha 2

This is great news.  The more players the better for anyone who wants the game supported long term.