TheHansonGoons

Favorite Horror Comedies

What are some of your favorite horror comedies? Some of mine are:

Evil Dead series. This means Evil Dead to Ash vs Evil Dead. Love it all.

Shaun of the Dead.

Poultrygeist

Tucker and Dale Vs Evil.

Outside of the ones already listed:

Dead Alive

Hell Baby

Monster Squad

Nothing But Trouble

Gremlins

Club Dread

Young Frankenstein

Cabin Fever 

Cabin In The Woods

Slither

Shaun Of The Dead

Eight Legged Freaks

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

The Basket Case series (especially Part 3...I can't explain why)

Society

...I have more. I'll come back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

Outside of the ones already listed:

Dead Alive

Hell Baby

Monster Squad

Nothing But Trouble

Gremlins

Club Dread

Young Frankenstein

Cabin Fever 

Cabin In The Woods

Slither

Shaun Of The Dead

Eight Legged Freaks

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

The Basket Case series (especially Part 3...I can't explain why)

Society

...I have more. I'll come back.

I can't believe i forgot to mention the first Gremlins, Dead Alive, Monster Squad and Young Frankentein. Amazing mentions.

Return of the Living Dead is one of my top 5 as well. Another reason why I would love to see Demon as a counselor is that movie.

I'll have to go with some of the movies you guys mentioned too.

Tough,i will always have a soft spot for Evil Dead 2,that's the one movie that i can watch over and over again without getting tired of watching it.

Bride of Chucky? Maybe? I'm not a big fan of comedy in horror. I enjoy unintentional comedy in horror though, as in terrible b-movies like Chopping Mall, Street Trash, Black Roses, etc or dark comedy like Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

1 hour ago, bewareofbears said:

Bride of Chucky? Maybe? I'm not a big fan of comedy in horror. I enjoy unintentional comedy in horror though, as in terrible b-movies like Chopping Mall, Street Trash, Black Roses, etc or dark comedy like Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

I'll have to agree with a few of the ones already mentioned...

Evil Dead series- The fact that the first movie was even made is amazing. Raimi and Campbell really went all in, and it has paid off for us all. I love this series.

Shaun of the Dead- One of the best zombie flicks period. You can tell that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are real-life friends. This is one of those "lightning in a bottle" movies that just worked on every level.

Poultrygeist- This movie is so fucking ridiculous! Lloyd Kaufman is either a demented genius or a straight up psychopath! Either way, I love the flick.

Tucker and Dale Vs Evil-  I really didn't expect much out of this one, and I was pleasantly surprised. I am hoping that the plans for the sequel work out. These guys are great together.

Return of the Living Dead- Bit of nostalgia here. I rented the movie as a kid thinking it was a straight horror flick. The humor caught me off guard, but in a good way. Still one of my favorite horror-coms.

Dead Alive- Who would have thought the man behind this glorious mess would go on to do Lord of the Rings? Gotta love the lawnmower scene!

Gremlins- This movie had a hand in the invention of the PG-13 rating for a reason. It really did have some scary scenes, at least for a kid back then. One of my favorite horror-comedies, Christmas films, films...period.

Cabin In the Woods- This movie is one of those rare occasions that I went to the theater with pretty high expectations, and they were all met. There are so many easter eggs in this one. It really is a good time.

There are a few more that deserve being discussed...

Zombieland- This movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. Woody Harrelson is hilarious in this.

An American Werewolf In London- I think this flick still has the best werewolf transformation scene ever put to film. It is funny, scary, and just really well done. I love that they didn't puss out and have a happy ending!

Slither- This might be James Gunn's best movie to date. And yes, I have seen both Guardians of the Galaxy films. I just had a blast with this one.

Beetlejuice-  I can't believe this one wasn't mentioned. I still love it although it is a bit heavier on the comedy than it is the horror. I still think it qualifies.

Bubba Ho-Tep- Come on! Bruce Campbell as Elvis, and Ossie Davis as JFK...fighting a fucking mummy! How can this be anything but amazing?

Tremors- The sequels weren't great, but I really do like the 1990 original. 

The 'Burbs- Tom Hanks should have gotten a freaking Oscar for this one! It is a great movie to chill and watch on a lazy Sunday.

Two Honorable Mentions are Troll 2 and Silent Night, Deadly Night 2. Neither were intentionally funny, but they were both fucking hilarious!

Ok, I am going to stop now. I really am a cinephile, and I could talk about movies all day! 

Great subject @TheHansonGoons!!

• Like 1

@Rexfellis

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 is a perfect example of an unintentionally hilarious movie. The main actor "acts" the entire movie with his eyebrows. It's amazing. :lol:

4 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

@Rexfellis

Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 is a perfect example of an unintentionally hilarious movie. The main actor "acts" the entire movie with his eyebrows. It's amazing. :lol:

I agree sir! His eyebrows are definitely the star of the movie. But, we can't forget the riveting "Garbage Day!!!" scene. That was bad, even for a b-movie. And, I love me some b-movies.:lol:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

I agree sir! His eyebrows are definitely the star of the movie. But, we can't forget the riveting "Garbage Day!!!" scene. That was bad, even for a b-movie. And, I love me some b-movies.:lol:

I love that whole scene. He just wanders around, forcing that terrible laugh, shooting people. 

Cabin in the Woods remake, as mentioned above.

The Burbs was awesome.

Saw BOTH of these in the theatre.  Amazing, now that I think about it.

Don't forget Return of the Living Dead 3.  The paramedics/police scene is probably the best comedic horror scene in movie history.

33 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I love that whole scene. He just wanders around, forcing that terrible laugh, shooting people. 

Classic scene. It ranks right up there with this...

Or this...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rexfellis said:

Classic scene. It ranks right up there with this...

Or this...

RAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Just two more reasons why the 1980's were unbeatable!

Poor man's Henry Rollins laying down the law!!!

• Like 1

Shaun Of The Dead and Killer klowns for outer space are two of my favourites.

Lmao about Troll 2 and kissing on hospitality! One of the funniest scenes in any movie. That was a great mention! 

The ending of Christmas Evil alone should put it in this cate-gory. Say that in your head like the Cryptkeeper.

Woody Harrelson in Zombieland is amazing. Add in Bill Murray's part, fantastic cinema!

I have to agree with you guys about Cabin in the woods and it meeting so expectations. Someone had ruined it for me by telling me it wasn't whay I thought it was, but still left the theater thrilled with it.

Awesome list Rexfellis and BoB!

The first two Scary Movies are funny and raunchy, but they seemed to lose their touch after part 2 (to me at least) being horror parodies.

18 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

The 'Burbs- Tom Hanks should have gotten a freaking Oscar for this one! It is a great movie to chill and watch on a lazy Sunday.

The 'Burbs is my all-time favorite film!

Other horror comedies I dig that I didn't see mentioned are Blood Diner, Chopping Mall, Leprechaun 3 and Stitches.

@bewareofbears and @Rexfellis I haven't watched any of the series after the first one since I was a kid, so I forget which installment it is. Which Silent Night, Deadly Night had the long-nosed mask orgy scene and the bugs? I think it was 4. I remember it leaving quite the impression on me when I was young.

Has anyone seen the movie "The blast Lovecraft"? Or something like that. I was wondering if it was super cheesy or any fun.

On 07/01/2018 at 5:35 AM, TheButtonMasher said:

Shaun Of The Dead and Killer klowns for outer space are two of my favourites.

Oh yeah! Killer Klowns From Outer Space definitely Top Three!!!

@TheHansonGoons  What got me into the theatre to see it after at first rolling my eyes at yet another shitty horror remake, was the short and almost unnoticeable tagline on the movie poster.

I saw that sentence and it immediately made me go on opening weekend. It was correct.

A453DAE8-CF68-4FF3-8209-4C55FF9CB514.jpeg

Related image

a nightmare on elm street Freddy's dead

23 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Has anyone seen the movie "The Last Lovecraft"? Or something like that. I was wondering if it was super cheesy or any fun.

I have not. I judged it based on its cover art (man, I miss the '80s, when even b-movies hired artists to do their posters instead of some executive's nephew who had heard of Photoshop). I just watched the trailer, thanks to your post. I'm slightly more intrigued, now. I will likely check it out soon, and report back here.

30 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

I have not. I judged it based on its cover art (man, I miss the '80s, when even b-movies hired artist's to do their posters instead of some executive's nephew who had heard of Photoshop). I just watched the trailer, thanks to your post. I'm slightly more intrigued, now. I will likely check it out soon, and report back here.

Hahaha I won't lie, I was real skeptical of the Art as well and that's why I asked about it before I watched it. I saw the trailer and the CG looked awful, but like it had potential it the writing and acting aspect.

35 minutes ago, TheHansonGoons said:

Hahaha I won't lie, I was real skeptical of the Art as well and that's why I asked about it before I watched it. I saw the trailer and the CG looked awful, but like it had potential it the writing and acting aspect.

The snag for me, on this one, might be that I am on the cusp of being over the whole man-child slacker trope. I don't think I'm completely over it, yet, though.