Rexfellis

Let's talk about horror remakes

We have all had our fill of bad remakes, I get that. Because for every The Hills Have Eyes (2006) we get 20 pieces of shit like The Fog (2005). Maybe we can discuss a few, both good and bad, and see where we think the future of horror films is headed. (Hint: I'm hoping for original material, but, that is unlikely.) As a preface to this, I will say that these are only my opinions. I'm sure many will disagree. Feel free to offer your own. :D  This is going to be off the top of my head, so basically, it will be another rambling post from Rex. I wont be discussing known classics like Carpenter's The Thing, The Fly, or the 80s gem The Blob. I am also going to avoid Ringu vs. The Ring, Ju-On vs. The Grudge, [Rec} vs. Quarantine and any other "Americanized" knock-offs.  However, I am going to start with a few that I personally do enjoy.

Dawn of the Dead (2004)- I remember the hype when the extended trailer was released on network TV. It was basically the first 10 minutes of the movie, and I was first in line at the theater to watch it. I am a die-hard Romero fan, and the running zombies threw me off at first. But, by the end of the movie, I was impressed. They took an idea, expanded on it, and made it their own. There were a couple of storylines that I found to be cheesy, and the stupidity of a couple of the characters made me want to take them out. At the end of the day, I give this one a solid 7/10.

Night of the Living Dead (1990)- Tom Savini directing and Tony Todd (Candyman) as Ben? Shit, count me in! It was good to see Barbara portrayed as a tougher character, she was just a lump in the original. Don't get me wrong, I love the classic, but her story arc was probably my least favorite. Unfortunately, this bogged down a bit in the middle, but it is still a good movie to pull out and watch from time to time. This is a 5.5-6 for me.

The aforementioned...The Hills Have Eyes (2006)- Holy shit was this brutal! I think it actually offended me a couple of times, and nothing offends me. The cinematography was great. Aja took the original story and put his own spin on it, and it landed. I loved Carpenter's original for the campiness, and Michael Berryman. He is a horror god, and a really nice fella. I met him at a horrorcon in Texas one time. Back to the remake...I think it was done well, the nuclear test site aspect was interesting, and Ruby did her job well. I think more interaction with "The Family" as a family, especially Father Jupiter as the patriarch would have served the film well, but that is just me nitpicking. 8/10

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)- Tobe Hooper's classic haunted me for a long time because I saw it as a young child, and I believed it was all real. (I also lived in Texas, so that didn't help.) Unfortunately, the series went downhill from there into campy territory. The sequels were fun and goofy, but not scary. This "re-imagining" went back to taking the source material seriously. The acting wasn't great, but I believe that R. Lee Ermey saved this film. Just like in Full Metal Jacket, he was spot on.  Leatherface was scary again. 6/10 from me. (P.S. All of the sequels, prequels, and fuckquels that came after this can kiss my ass.)

The Evil Dead (2013)- I am glad Mr. Alvarez did not try to re-cast Ash in this one. Bruce Campbel will always be Ash! He took the lore and kind of made it his own. It was bloody, gory, disturbing, and fun. Of course, there were a shit-ton of plotholes that you could drive "The Evil Force" and 4200 Fake Shemps through, but it was still a good time. I was happy to see that they didn't try to just rehash the original. 7/10

Below are a few remakes that I liked less...

Halloween (2007)- I like Rob Zombie's eye for cinematography, but this man can't write dialogue for shit! Yeah, the "redneck asshole neckbeards" worked for House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects, but that shit don't fly in Halloween. We did not need a white-trash background with a stripper mom, a drunk invalid step-dad, and a slut sister. I don't want to feel sorry for Michael Myers, I want to be fucking scared of him because we have no idea why he flipped out. Now, the second half of the movie was a rushed re-telling of the original story (replete with asshole truckers, rapist orderlies, and one sympathetic character). But, Laurie Strode was not Laurie Strode. I honestly didn't care if she lived or died. Malcolm McDowell played a competent Loomis, but really paled in comparison to Donald Pleasance. I know the studio fucked this movie up by telling Zombie to make it more like his earlier movies, but I was sincerely disappointed with the end result. 5/10

Halloween 2 (2009)-  Fuck you Rob Zombie...next. (1/10, just in case anyone was curious. White ghost horse, impostor kid Michael, psychic link, and dead stripper my ass!) I liked the original ending, when the cops blew Laurie's foul-mouthed, bad friend-being, drunk ass away!

Friday the 13th (2009)- Well, I had to talk about it. As far as Platinum Dunes flicks go, this wasn't bad. It captured the essence of Jason, but it didn't really bring anything new to the table. I didn't really like the underground tunnel system, because I'm not sure that Jason could have done that. But, at least it was something new. Don't love it, didn't hate it. 4/10

A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)-  Mr. Jackie Earle Haley. On behalf of Platinum Dunes, Michael Bay, Samuel Bayer, and all of the producers, I would like to apologize to you. You got fucked with this one. I know you auditioned for the original, and Johnny Depp's smile beat you out. :lol: My condolences, you'll always be Kelly Leak to me bro! Seriously, this movie was a trainwreck from the beginning. There is a reason they scrapped the whole pedophile thing from the first flick...nobody wants to see that shit! The story was convoluted, the homages just seemed like theft, and Freddy's makeup was fucking horrible. 

Black Christmas (2006)- I want to shit all over this movie, I really do. But, I can't. Glen Morgan may have hired almost the entire cast of the CW network at the time, but he was trying to make a creepy, scary, practical effects-laden movie. Unfortunately, Dimension Films stepped in and wanted "more gore, more eye gouging!!". Morgan tried to block this, and even tried to release a director's cut, but he was shut down by the studio. You can find out more about this here. As far as the film that was released, this is a 2/10 for me. I would love to see the director's actual vision, because it sounds like he wanted to be faithful to the 1974 classic.

The Amityville Horror (2005)- The original creeped me out as a kid. The remake was...well...boring. Ryan Reynolds needs to take his abs over to Marvel and just be Deadpool. This was underwhelming, to say the least. 2/10

Psycho (1998)- Holy shit Van Sant! Did you just have the actors watch the good one and tell them "Do that!"? Shot for shot bullshit with bad casting. 2/10

The Thing (2011)- I said I wouldn't discuss Carpenter's masterpiece, not this one. :P Ok, technically this is a prequel, not a remake. But I feel that it belongs in this list. It is another instance of studio meddling that fucked up the entire production. Mr. Heijningen and his crew had spent months making practical effects, poring over Carpenter's film, and re-creating the station. Then Universal and Morgan Creek stepped in and demanded CGI out the ass, and re-writes galore. The end-result was...well, if you saw the movie, you know. There is a video discussing all of the changes that were made right here.

The Fog (2005)- I mentioned this film in the intro to this post, and I will be honest, it is at the bottom of my list. I didn't necessarily love Carpenter's 1980 flick, but, I do enjoy it for what it is. This remake takes everything that sucks about remakes, sets it all on fire, shits on it, and then pisses the flames out. Bad acting, bad directing, bad dialogue, bad casting, and horrible effects. Hated it. -1/10

I look forward to any insights, opinions, and additions to the list. :) 

• Like 1

Hmmm...it's okay for you to not like the movies,but could you clean up your language a bit please?If movies are that bad,you should be able to judge them on their merits,or lack of,without swearing so much.Thanks.

1 hour ago, JF13 said:

Hmmm...it's okay for you to not like the movies,but could you clean up your language a bit please?If movies are that bad,you should be able to judge them on their merits,or lack of,without swearing so much.Thanks.

No, I will express myself exactly the way I wish to express myself. This is a forum based on a Rated-M (for mature) game that features swearing and gore that is, in turn,  based on horror movies that include swearing, gore, and nudity. If the curse words I used in my post offend you, you probably shouldn't be playing this game. So, if you could kindly no try to tell me what type of language that I should be using, that would be great. Thanks. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JF13 said:

whatever.Have a nice life.

Thanks buddy. You too. ;) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JF13 said:

please drop the abusive attitude.I reported you.Some bothering me you freak.

Well this escalated quickly.

Dawn of the Dead (2004): I liked it. I don't love it like a lot of others do. I thought the zombie baby was dumb. Not the idea of it, but the CGI on it. Decent movie overall.

Night of the Living Dead (1990): This movie scared the hell out of me as a kid and I loved it. I saw it on TV in the middle of the summer one year. That following Halloween the house behind me built a full sized zombie dummy that looked like the big bald zombie in the movie. After Halloween they stored it in their screened in back porch, sitting on a chair, facing my backyard. I would play in my backyard and keep checking to make sure the damn thing wasn't moving. After re-watching it recently it doesn't hold up as much as I'd hoped.

The Hills Have Eyes (2006): I just wasn't a fan of this. I'm not really a fan of the original either, so I can't complain too much.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003): I like it. Other than R. Lee Ermey's character I don't think this one did anything better than the original. I think the issue was that the original didn't actually have a lot of gore and this one had a ton. Something about not seeing exactly what was happening was scarier to me.

The Evil Dead (2013): I don't love the original Evil Dead. I know, I know. That's blasphemous. I like it, but for me it's the movie from the original three that I like the least. This one was fantastic.

Halloween (2007): I didn't like House of 1000 Corpses. I liked The Devil's Rejects a little more, but still not a fan. I had high hopes for this and Rob Zombie as a director. They were not realized. I was bored and my girlfriend actually fell asleep in the theatre while watching it.

Halloween II (2009): I liked this one even less than the first one.

Friday the 13th (2009): I really, really liked this one. I've come to learn that I'm in the minority, but I don't care. It's in the upper tier of Friday the 13th movies for me.

Nightmare On Elm Street (2010): Kids, if you can't do an effect better with CGI than you can practically, don't do it. Not a fan of this remake at all.

5 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)- Tobe Hooper's classic haunted me for a long time because I saw it as a young child, and I believed it was all real. (I also lived in Texas, so that didn't help.) Unfortunately, the series went downhill from there into campy territory. The sequels were fun and goofy, but not scary. This "re-imagining" went back to taking the source material seriously. The acting wasn't great, but I believe that R. Lee Ermey saved this film. Just like in Full Metal Jacket, he was spot on.  Leatherface was scary again. 6/10 from me. (P.S. All of the sequels, prequels, and fuckquels that came after this can kiss my ass.)

I will tell you, I have been a huge Tobe Hooper fan for decades, so I was kind of excited about the TCM remake. But it was ruined for me before I ever even saw it -- by friggin' douchebag Andrew Brynarski, the guy who played the new Leatherface. 

After production wrapped, he called into EVERY radio station across the country and offered his interviews to promote the film. Not a bad idea -- IF you're a likeable or even normal human being. But the guy was like the douchiest douche you would ever meet at a comic con. Interrupting people, yell-talking, contradicting people's opinions -- he was obsessive. And then, whenever poor Jessica Biel would agree to an interview to promote the film, damned if Brynarski (which he told EVERYONE to call him) didn't call in every single time to join in and take over the interview. Jessica couldn't get two words in edgewise while Brynarski screamed about his awesome stunts and character research and how much he loved the "gorgeous and talented Jessica Biel." You could tell she was fed up with him. 

Anyway, I went into the film already hating the guy. I DID very much love R. Lee Ermey's performance, but I just couldn't let myself enjoy it after finding out what a crackpot Brynarski was. 

9 minutes ago, Roy's #1 Fan said:

The Evil Dead (2013): I don't love the original Evil Dead. I know, I know. That's blasphemous. I like it, but for me it's the movie from the original three that I like the least. This one was fantastic.

I quoted the above because I can understand where you are coming from. The original Evil Dead has a huge nostalgia factor for me, but I can see why some people wouldn't like it. I honestly think that, considering the budget and obstacles they had to overcome, it was  a monumental achievement in filmmaking.

To your other points:

Dawn of the Dead- I agree with you on this. The zombie baby story arc was the one that kind of took me out of it.

Night of the Living Dead- I think it holds up fairly well. Of course I could be a bit biased because of Savini and Todd's participation in the film.

The Hills Have Eyes- I enjoy both films. But, I can understand why someone wouldn't. That is the great thing about cinema, we can all love the same genre and disagree on some of the installments.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre- We are in complete agreement on this. The original stuck with me for a long time. The remake was a brutal flick that disturbed me for a couple of hours.

Halloween- I would have liked to see what direction Zombie would have taken if not pushed to "Zombiefy" it. But, seeing the films he's put out since Halloween, I think it would have been the same trailer trash crap. Just gonna skip over the sequel, I have stated how I feel about that.

Friday the 13th- It seems that you enjoyed it more than I did. But, it is a movie that I can throw into the Blu-Ray player and enjoy. I don't hate it, but I really don't love it either.

A Nightmare On Elm Street- It's amazing what you can do with some practical effects. A simple cover of plastic wrap with some effective lighting to bring Freddy's face to life in the frame. A group of skilled craftsmen that put together the rotating room, the traps, and the numerous boiler room scenes. CGI can't recreate that faithfully, I don't care how good the programmer is.

Thanks for your thoughts. I love discussing films. Horror is my favorite genre, but I genuinely love well-made films of any category.

19 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I will tell you, I have been a huge Tobe Hooper fan for decades, so I was kind of excited about the TCM remake. But it was ruined for me before I ever even saw it -- by friggin' douchebag Andrew Brynarski, the guy who played the new Leatherface. 

Anyway, I went into the film already hating the guy. I DID very much love R. Lee Ermey's performance, but I just couldn't let myself enjoy it after finding out what a crackpot Brynarski was. 

I can really understand why that would turn you off of the movie before even seeing it. I missed all of the hype leading up to the release of the movie. I try to do that with any movie I am really anticipating seeing. It is quite a bit harder in the internet age, but I have done pretty well. I even avoided all of the spoilers for the new Star Wars flick. *Spoiler Alert!!* It may be my third least favorite Star Wars film, behind The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. 

One could almost treat remakes, reboots, and decades-later sequels/prequels as their own genre. The motives behind the productions vary (sometimes even within the personnel of a single production), but all grow around the core concept of "take something with an established audience, dust it off, and see if they (or someone new) will still pay to see some more of it." I tend to approach horror remakes with cautious hope that they will revive something I loved (and sometimes they do for me), but it remains a gamble against failure.

I tend to prefer a "yes and", "yes or", or "yes but" approach to revisiting established properties. I like it when filmmakers pay respect to the existing lore, and either build off of it, show a different point of view, or shave off a few items without abandoning the lore entirely. I don't tend to enjoy a complete restructuring of the established lore, or a total abandonment of it.

Some of my favorites of the "re-" genre within horror include: Evil Dead II, Friday the 13th, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, IT, The Hills Have Eyes, John Carpenter's The Thing, Evil Dead (2013), Return of the Living Dead, Bram Stoker's Dracula, The Monster Squad (Yes it is! Shut Up!), The Fly

Some that I liked, but can't commit to an intimate relationship with: A Nightmare On Elm Street (had seeds of interesting ideas, but didn't cultivate them well onto the screen), The Green Inferno (as a cannibal genre revival), The Haunting (nailed atmosphere early on, but collapsed in the third act), The Thing prequel (I like what it could have been), The Blob (modernized effects, but didn't capture the zeitgeist like other remakes from its era), The Last House On The Left/I Spit On Your Grave remakes (did what they were supposed to, but aren't films I will watch repeatedly), Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (I need to re-watch it, but it didn't capture my heart at the time), Psycho (The most interesting thing for me was the fact that this idea was pitched, sold, approved, budgeted, and filmed as a commercial product. I kept waiting to find out that someone lost a bet or did it on a dare), My Bloody Valentine (filed under: "Sure. Why not?"), Maniac (interesting experiment), The Wolfman (reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaally wanted it to be better, but don't know what to suggest), Carnival of Souls (almost as much a remake of Jacob's Ladder as it was of the original Carnival of Souls), Night of the Demons (actually, pretty fun, but not really a classic), Thir13en Ghosts (enjoyed the attempted backstory, but haven't rewatched it since it found its way to my collection while picking through the scraps of a dying video store).

3 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

The Monster Squad (Yes it is! Shut Up!)

What is it a remake of, Mon Frere?

Just now, Cokeyskunk said:

What is it a remake of, Mon Frere?

It is a reimagining of the Universal Monsters in the era of the slasher.

Friday the 13th remake sucked. (My opinion) I couldn't even get through 20 minutes of it without getting bored and turning it off. I payed $3 for it, but really it was just a waste :D

All Rob Zombie Halloween's sucked as well. The first Halloween will always be my favorite. Halloween 2018...? Who could not want to see it? Nick Castle, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Carpenter returning!!!

28 minutes ago, TiffanyCox said:

Friday the 13th remake sucked. (My opinion) I couldn't even get through 20 minutes of it without getting bored and turning it off. I payed $3 for it, but really it was just a waste :D

All Rob Zombie Halloween's sucked as well. The first Halloween will always be my favorite. Halloween 2018...? Who could not want to see it? Nick Castle, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Carpenter returning!!!

I can enjoy the Ft13th remake for what it is. It does feel like a Friday flick (at least to me). 1978 Halloween will always be my favorite of the franchise for sure, because it scared the everloving crap out of me when I was a kid watching it on VHS. The only problem I have with Nick Castle returning is the fact that the guy is 70 years old now. I don't want to see Michael chasing people with a walker! :lol: But seriously, I am looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rexfellis said:

I can enjoy the Ft13th remake for what it is. It does feel like a Friday flick (at least to me). 1978 Halloween will always be my favorite of the franchise for sure, because it scared the everloving crap out of me when I was a kid watching it on VHS. The only problem I have with Nick Castle returning is the fact that the guy is 70 years old now. I don't want to see Michael chasing people with a walker! :lol: But seriously, I am looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

Or possibly a short Micheal? :D 

57 minutes ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

It is a reimagining of the Universal Monsters in the era of the slasher.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . . . 

8 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . . . 

It's almost like my original post predicted this conversation

1 hour ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

The Monster Squad (Yes it is! Shut Up!)

:P:hearteyestiff::pocketknife:

Just now, NthnButAGoodTime said:

It's almost like my original post predicted this conversation

:P:hearteyestiff::pocketknife:

I think "remake" is not the right word here, mein freund.

49 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I think "remake" is not the right word here, mein freund.

:)Granted, the core focus of this thread is remakes, and you yourself said "remake" but I never said that the Monster Squad was a remake. I just stated that it is nestled within the "re-" category.

Technically, the Friday the 13th remake isn't a remake or a reboot, it's more of a short, loose retelling of Jason's origin, followed by a stand-alone story. The Evil Dead remake is more of a distant sequel, showing what the titular evil has been doing since we last saw Ash. IT reimagines the story in the '80s, but brings the characters along with their respective backstories in updated forms. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake was intentionally left open to being interpreted as a sequel to the original events. The Monster Squad takes established characters, keeps their backstories intact, and brings them together. That certainly doesn't qualify it as a remake, but pulls it into the "re" category. This is certainly not the hill I'm looking to die on, though.:)

Edit: Or...OR I could have just copped out and said that it was a remake of all the Abbott and Costello Meet So-And-So movies...with Abbott and Costello replaced by kids we had never heard of.

91CkNyGEDKL._SY445_.jpg

To preface, I'm perfectly aware this may result in banishment, death by lethal injection, possibly being tarred and feathered.....

I really like the remake of A Nightmare on Elm St.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. But, I do.

The main reason, the real draw for me, was that they brought it back to the murderous, abusive, pedophile type backstory. I love the original, and part 2 is my favorite. Everything beyond those two I don't personally care for and in my opinion Freddy just devolved in to a clown. So, there ya have it. Not the best movie, yes, but I appreciate what they were going for.

1 minute ago, DasMurich said:

To preface, I'm perfectly aware this may result in banishment, death by lethal injection, possibly being tarred and feathered.....

I really like the remake of A Nightmare on Elm St.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry. But, I do.

The main reason, the real draw for me, was that they brought it back to the murderous, abusive, pedophile type backstory. I love the original, and part 2 is my favorite. Everything beyond those two I don't personally care for and in my opinion Freddy just devolved in to a clown. So, there ya have it. Not the best movie, yes, but I appreciate what they were going for.

Minus the "really", I'm with you. More than anything, I'm frustrated that it didn't live up to the potential of the ideas it explored.

1 hour ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

IT reimagines the story in the '80s, but brings the characters along with their respective backstories in updated forms.

I personally love both adaptations. I've seen lots of comparisons with the Tim Curry version and I honestly don't think it's fair. I don't know that some people are aware that the older version was a made-for-TV miniseries. (In fact I'm fairly certain a good deal of those who saw the recent adaptation may not even know what a miniseries is.) For what it was, what was available, and the format, the first movie is one of my all time favorites and to this day still has some truly creepy scenes and imagery not to mention Curry's performance was fucking brilliant. The new movie was amazing and also had some truly scary parts. For me it was the slide projector sequence. It was so, so loud and ferocious I actually had the "make it stop" signal going off in the back of mind. Only complaint with the new one was the language. Well, not the language as much as Richie's (I believe) language. I don't care if there's profanity in a movie, and even a lot doesn't bother me, but it was overkill IMO.

13 minutes ago, DasMurich said:

I personally love both adaptations. I've seen lots of comparisons with the Tim Curry version and I honestly don't think it's fair. I don't know that some people are aware that the older version was a made-for-TV miniseries. (In fact I'm fairly certain a good deal of those who saw the recent adaptation may not even know what a miniseries is.) For what it was, what was available, and the format, the first movie is one of my all time favorites and to this day still has some truly creepy scenes and imagery not to mention Curry's performance was fucking brilliant. The new movie was amazing and also had some truly scary parts. For me it was the slide projector sequence. It was so, so loud and ferocious I actually had the "make it stop" signal going off in the back of mind. Only complaint with the new one was the language. Well, not the language as much as Richie's (I believe) language. I don't care if there's profanity in a movie, and even a lot doesn't bother me, but it was overkill IMO.

I don't dislike the original adaptation, but I believe it was hampered by the restrictions of the network television miniseries format. I don't see it as a competition between the two (nor did a read any implication of that in your post). IT, to me, feeds into a discussion of what the two adaptions were able to accomplish within the restrains of their respective formats. I do not believe that discussion can fully be realized until we meet the adult version of our modernized protagonists. 

Side story: while the new adaptation was still in production, I screened the original adaptation for my sons and their friend. Their friend enjoyed the experience so much, that when the newest adaptation was released, he wanted to see it with us.

I've not really seen that many horror movie remakes, so my list will be brief.

Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007)- 7.5/10 There's a lot of really annoying, hatable characters in this movie, and a lot of filler material that should've been on the cutting room floor, but for the most part, I really liked this movie. Parts of it, anyway. I especially enjoyed the Smith's Grove scenes, because I thought they did a brilliant job of portraying a more human Michael going further and further into his downward spiral until he finally becomes Zombie's version of The Shape. I also really enjoyed the last twenty minutes or so especially, I think it was an intense, action packed re-imagining of what happened in the original movie and was handled quit well. It gets annoying at times, especially in the childhood scenes, but I did like all the kill scenes with young Michael, they were very chilling and well done. I did however find the attempts at humor in the film to be unfitting, and the excessive language was annoying and highly unnecessary. Cursing is one of my biggest bad habits and I'm not particularly offended by it, but in the context of the film, it made no sense and was just so excessive that it was annoying. I'm fine with cussing, but it has to be purposeful. Whenever literally every character, including school faculty and law enforcement are complete potty mouths, it just comes off as unrealistic. I get that a lot of people talk like that, but not literally EVERYONE cusses like that. I feel like he put excessive language in this movie just to try and be edgy and add to the grittiness of it, and it just came off as forced. When some people cuss, it just flows like butter, and when other people cuss, it makes me cringe because they're just doing it to be doing it and not actually expressing any genuine emotion. It's hard to explain what I mean, but if you've saw the movie, you'll know what I mean. Some of the dialogue is borderline elementary, but I do love all the kills, I like Tyler Mane as Michael, Brad Dourif is great as Sheriff Brackett, and Malcolm McDowell makes a great Loomis. 

Rob Zombie's Halloween II (2009)- 4/10 I've watched this one multiple times to try and understand it, and it makes little to no sense. The whole psychic connection between Michael and Laurie, and all the white horse symbolism make no sense at all. The first Zombieween had a sense of surrealism to it and I feel like for the most part, it was centered in an attempted believable reality, which at times worked and at times didn't. It tried to be a more realistic Halloween that went back to a Michael that was killable and the most human we had seen. This one just completely took that out of left field and took way too much artistic license to introduce far fetched things and no way to explain it. Nothing of interest really happens either. Michael basically just comes back and does the same things he did in the first movie, except to different people, and there's weird stuff inbetween. 

The Evil Dead (2013)- 7.5/10  I actually saw this one before I watched the original three. It was pretty good at parts, but after going back and watching the original three, I feel like this one tried way too hard to pay homage to those at times, and it just came off as stealing. It also tried too hard to go over the top with the gore and disturbing imagery to invoke shock value, and it just didn't work as well as it did in Raimi's movies because it didn't come off as genuine. It got in the way of potential story and in Raimi's films, it was kind of a way of driving the story rather than telling it. The characters also weren't as likable, but it was very creepy and it captivated my attention. I also liked the plot twist of the main guy character saving his sister after he buried her, I never expected him to do that.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)- 1/10 The acting is awful, parts of it are direct copies of the original, and the scares are predictable as well. This entire movie seems completely pointless and in no way updates or adds to the story. It takes a horror legend and makes him seem like a direct to DVD rip off of himself. 

Friday the 13th (2009)- 8.5/10 While some of the kills were lacking, the ones that weren't made up for it. This film features a resourceful, smart Jason that hunts his prey and has more depth to his character. I also really like the plot of Clay looking for his sister. It took a plot line similar to Rob Dyer's in Part IV and fleshed it out into a full fledged story and I think it executed it very well. 

John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)- 9/10 I love this movie! Great acting, great plot, very interesting to thing of the psychological aspect of being in constant fear, wondering who's infected and who's not, who you can trust, etc. I won't go into as much detail on this one because I find it's easier to go into detail about what I don't like than what I do like. Just take my word that I love this movie and it's one of my favs. 

@deathbat96777 I think you might have enjoyed Halloween (2007) a bit more than me. The "Zombieness" of it just kind of turned me off. I do agree that Tyler Mane portrayed a better Michael than I thought he would. In the sequel, not so much. Michael never spoke for 31 years, and now he grunts and yells "Die!" to Loomis? I wasn't buying it. I also didn't care for the unmasked hobo look.

For the most part, I agree with you on The Evil Dead (2013). I enjoy the original trilogy much more, but I can appreciate the remake for what it was.

We obviously completely agree on A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010). I felt that it was un-needed and a slap in the face to the original. I feel sorry for the actors in that one.

Friday the 13th (2009). This one is a mixed bag for me. While I think that Platinum Dunes pieced the original 4 movies together pretty well, it was filled with characters that I really didn't care about. Clay was a nice touch, even though it felt like the actor was just projecting his character from the "Supernatural" series. Not a bad Friday flick, but I was mostly underwhelmed.

I love Carpenter's The Thing (1982). Check out the link I left for the prequel (2011). The guy that did it really does his homework on movies, and I really wish we could have gotten the movie that the director intended.

Thanks for your thoughts on the remakes that you have seen. I enjoyed reading your opinion on the subject. Like I said, I can talk about movies for hours. :)