deathbat96777

Rate/review the last horror movie you watched/saw

I have both on DVD. The version of the original I have is the Ultimate Edition. It has the theatrical cut, the director's cut, Argento's cut for European release. Then a disc of extras. Its a great edition.

Argento's version cuts out a lot of racism and changes the soundtracks in areas to make it seem more action-packed and faster paced.  Romero's really accentuates the times in America.

e_cover.jpg

7/10 Theatrical version is way better than Uncut, also some great kills and gore, the one thing that bothers me is all the foul language, sure he's trying to keep a real take on it but sometimes its too much

On 9/7/2018 at 4:32 PM, Ozzman123 said:

e_cover.jpg

7/10 Theatrical version is way better than Uncut, also some great kills and gore, the one thing that bothers me is all the foul language, sure he's trying to keep a real take on it but sometimes its too much

My biggest issue is how Zombie makes Michael a boy with daddy issues. The entire beginning makes him seem like a school shooter that grew up in a trailer park. Just a kid that snapped. To me, its too human, which means Michael should be killed as easily as a human. 

Also, how does he grow from smallest kid in class to the giant wrestler he was? 

On top of that, the rape scene in his room is simply playing on shock value and is completely unnecessary. Seems juvenile IMO.

Carpenter's child Michael snapped for no apparent reason. Context clues made it seem like he was possessed or something. Much more mysterious and crazy. 

Zombie does offer some decent kills and gore. I personally dont have much issue with the language, but some of it is over the top.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

My biggest issue is how Zombie makes Michael a boy with daddy issues. The entire beginning makes him seem like a school shooter that grew up in a trailer park. Just a kid that snapped. To me, its too human, which means Michael should be killed as easily as a human. 

Also, how does he grow from smallest kid in class to the giant wrestler he was? 

On top of that, the rape scene in his room is simply playing on shock value and is completely unnecessary. Seems juvenile IMO.

Carpenter's child Michael snapped for no apparent reason. Context clues made it seem like he was possessed or something. Much more mysterious and crazy. 

Zombie does offer some decent kills and gore. I personally dont have much issue with the language, but some of it is over the top.

yeah i understand that, i also hate how he gets his mask at the beginning of the film, he was more mysterious in the original, now he's a brute like jason, i liked the stalking and waiting over the bust a door and stab lots . not saying they are bad movies, but i think they would have been better as original films, not Halloween films

On 9/6/2018 at 4:56 PM, deathbat96777 said:

I have both versions, I have the original on DVD and the remake on digital. I'm watching the original as we speak 

On 9/7/2018 at 10:47 AM, TheHansonGoons said:

I have both on DVD. The version of the original I have is the Ultimate Edition. It has the theatrical cut, the director's cut, Argento's cut for European release. Then a disc of extras. Its a great edition.

Argento's version cuts out a lot of racism and changes the soundtracks in areas to make it seem more action-packed and faster paced.  Romero's really accentuates the times in America.

I wish you both would cite me because I almost forgot to talk about this. Yeah,I want these as well with but I can't get get a decent verion of the old old one. It's frustrating.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

I wish you both would cite me because I almost forgot to talk about this. Yeah,I want these as well with but I can't get get a decent verion of the old old one. It's frustrating.

I was looking on Amazon. The version of the original DVD I have is like $70. Some sellers are putting it up for $230. Might have to try eBay at that rate.

@Ozzman123 well said with the comment would have been better as original movies. I heard the studio was basically pushing him to make it the way he did, which is unfortunate. Had it been his own unique slasher series, could have been something. I am looking forward to 3 From Hell.

On 8/29/2018 at 2:01 AM, deathbat96777 said:

I have a bunch of flicks bought on digital that I haven't watched yet. They include: Paranormal Activity, Wrong Turn, Dracula, Maniac Cop, Frankenstein, Drag Me to Hell, Rosemary's Baby, The Ring, Happy Death Day,  The Birds, Poltergeist, Cabin in the Woods, Sorority Row (remake), Last House on the Left (remake), Black Christmas (original), You're Next, Fright Night (remake), Dawn of the Dead (remake), The Exorcist, Sleepaway Camp, Salem's Lot (original), Trick or Treat (remake), and A Quiet Place. 

Can't believe you haven't seen those films, well you have some good ones over there and then some others are just meh

Terrifier - 6.5/10. There was some good dramatic, slow, tense build ups at some parts. Lack of soundtrack in some of those areas accentuated the build up and possible jump scares.

Overall, no story happens here, mediocre acting and poor writing leaves lack of character attachment. A couple places the effects look great, but are often cheesy due to the lighting.

Pros - this movie created a few very memorable scenes. This is the second film with Art so a possibility of a franchise killer..

Dawn of the Dead (original)- 8.5/10

Dawn of the Dead (remake)- 8.5/10

Two very different films, but I liked them both about the same.

3 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

Dawn of the Dead (original)- 8.5/10

Dawn of the Dead (remake)- 8.5/10

Two very different films, but I liked them both about the same.

Veronica 7.75/10

The rating I am giving makes me realize I am a bit tougher of a critic. After all, there is some amazing direction here that could earn 10/10. The last 20 minutes alone could make it 10/10. However, the cliche seance storyline and too much filler slows the movie to a point where you almost start losing interest. They develop each character terrifically, but almost too much. 

Part of me really wants to give it an 8, but I felt it was so slow and lacked so much originality that I couldn't. After all, this is a basic "teenage girls hold a seance" movie, nothing groundbreaking there.  The end does throw you through a bit of a loop, but was also predicatable enough a half hour before it happened. The visual of how and some of the shots before were what made it a should watch film to me.

I am going to get crucified for this next one, but its a matter of what we take out of movies and how we interpret them, so here we go.

Lords of Salem - 8.5/10. I truly considered giving this a 9, but a few too many of Zombie's Reoccurring nuances stopped that from happening. This movie invokes a lot:

Power of three - symbolism predating the Bible but most familiar with Father, Son, Holy Ghost. Three witches - goes back to Macbeth, Suspiria(Hocus Pocus, Witches of Eastwick, etc). 

The history of Hawthorne, Salem Witch Trials and more themes are brought into play.

I can't say enough for the sets and lighting in this film. Zombie is on top of his game, capturing Kubrick and Argento-esque shots that were simply marvelous. I dont think I can say enough for some of the hallway and Room 5 shots. The shot that will be forever ingraved was the Anti-Madonna. One of the most powerful shots I have seen in a movie. 

Now that I have raved about it, to get to some of the cons: 

I mentioned some Zombie nuances. There is no shocking rape or extreme brutality here really. Where he goes over the top is the black metal guy humping his wife for no reason. Though the mumified priests were brilliant, I dont feel they needed to be masturbating. Nor did the witches need to be wwalking down the hall naked. I realize it is to drive home the point of being impregnated with the Devil, or rather having sex with the Devil to give birth to the antichrist. It was simply such a bizarre scene of fertility and procreating. The animation was pretty epic, but also unnecessary. That is where it feels too Zombie and not enough Argento or classic horror. 

Overall this film does what a film should do to me: show me something I haven't seen, and use symbolism to bring up major themes. Those things are done brilliantly here. 

I couldn't finish that movie, it was too creepy for me. Maybe me watching it at 3 in the morning with headphones had something to do with it

10 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

I couldn't finish that movie, it was too creepy for me. Maybe me watching it at 3 in the morning with headphones had something to do with it

Which one? 

Lords of Salem. I just don't dig Satanic stuff, it weirds me out. 

Last House on the Left (remake)- 7.5/10 I want to watch the original but it's not on digital for whatever reason 

10 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

Lords of Salem. I just don't dig Satanic stuff, it weirds me out. 

Last House on the Left (remake)- 7.5/10 I want to watch the original but it's not on digital for whatever reason 

I remember you saying you are in Christian religion groups and all so I can see how it impacts you more. 

Along those same lines I cant do the rape films hahahaha. A few movies I cannot rewatch: Last House on the Left, I Spit on your Grave, Salo, A Serbian Film. Dont get me wrong, I know how people can appreciate them. To me its shock value subject matter that I don't find cool. One of the few rape/revenge films I can still watch is Irreversible. That is because its well-written(though it has a couple plot holes) and directed brilliantly.

The remake of ISoYG had some great kills, but sitting through 45 minutes of redneck rape for 25 minutes of the fun stuff isn't a solid payoff to me. I realize that is what is supposed to make the payoff so much better. 

Black Christmas (original)- 6.5/10

A lot of you are probably shocked at this rating, but I just didn't get the hype. To me, it was at best a slightly okay run of the mills mystery slasher.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:33 AM, TheHansonGoons said:

I was looking on Amazon. The version of the original DVD I have is like $70. Some sellers are putting it up for $230. Might have to try eBay at that rate.

@Ozzman123 well said with the comment would have been better as original movies. I heard the studio was basically pushing him to make it the way he did, which is unfortunate. Had it been his own unique slasher series, could have been something. I am looking forward to 3 From Hell.

Saw that. Sorry I was being snippy -- these blu rays never come cheap, eh? Wish this stuff wasn't such a pain.

Love Dawn of the Dead -- need to pick it up. Great film. I was even looking at the 6 disc Zombi version because I'd love to have that. (Good reason to get a region free player, eh?)

Anyway, back to the reviews:

I finally watched the most recent entry of my second fav series of all time: Hellraiser (Guess which my first one is).

Judgement totally sucks. I can't believe if Halloween was the champion of worse sequels but yes, this really is. The ashcan copy is seriously not any better. I will hold off about Doug Bradley for a moment.

The whole story is garbage. Trying to bring in a whole new aspect to the story is silly. "Heaven vs Hell" is nonsense. Hell in Hellraiser wasn't necessarily a Judeo-Christian concept; it rather existed on the concept of torture and punishment for human virtue of 'sin', not rather a simple 'right vs. wrong'. This movie totally screws with that notion and it defeats the purpose of what the function of the Cenobites do. The concept of an 'Auditor' and etc. is so incredibly stupid it defies description. It feels far more like a Tom Six or Eli Roth film with Pinhead thrown into the mix. This is nothing but complete stupidity.

The puzzle box has no importance to this story. That's the trophy of the whole series and to minimize it makes the whole film useless. As far as the guy who plays Pinhead, I mean, it could have been worse, but obviously, it's no Doug Bradley so he doesn't make it more enjoyable than Revelations. Both this and the ashcan suck. I can't believe I thought this would be better. I know some scripts just tack Pinhead into the story but this is puke-worthy.

I love the lore of Hellraiser. This isn't any of it. At all. It's a shame to think that maybe Doug may never play the role again. Even worse, that film studios are stalling Clive Barker. I love Jason, I love Freddy, but in my heart of hearts, ruining Pinhead is a far bigger crime. 

The films are a travesty. I'd rather have a special edition of Inferno than any of this shit. Thank Goodness I own two copies of the Scarlet Box. There is Hell to pay if you think this is good. (1/10). I could judge that one later since it's actually GOOD.

Go ahead and ask me what my number one is, or is that too obvious? Heh

P.S. I don't know which franchise is more annoying with canon, Hellraiser or Halloween. I'll just say both irritate me to no end.

I just watched the credits of Judgement, I don't think I saw Paul Taylor's name in it as Pinhead. Shameful.

• Like 1

Also I want to throw down quickly that I re-watched Society recently and I must say, it's a must see. But maybe I'm biased. I'll try to address what I like best next.

I watched the first four Hellraisers and was going to keep going but after reading how they played out on Wikipedia (literally every single detail summed up in a paragraph, pretty helpful when trying to avoid non-sense) I had no interest in watching them. it all sounded stupid. I'm a Christian myself, but I personally find it odd to throw a Judeo-Christian spin on Heaven and Hell all of sudden. It kind of goes against the established lore. If it were an entirely different franchise, I'd be all over it obviously because I think it would be cool to see that, just not with Pinhead.

7 hours ago, deathbat96777 said:

I watched the first four Hellraisers and was going to keep going but after reading how they played out on Wikipedia (literally every single detail summed up in a paragraph, pretty helpful when trying to avoid non-sense) I had no interest in watching them. it all sounded stupid. I'm a Christian myself, but I personally find it odd to throw a Judeo-Christian spin on Heaven and Hell all of sudden. It kind of goes against the established lore. If it were an entirely different franchise, I'd be all over it obviously because I think it would be cool to see that, just not with Pinhead.

Bloodlines was a bit out there because of the whole "X in outer space" concept really turns people off. I'm surprised Mikey hasn't been hurled onto a rocket ship yet. 

The thing about Inferno, Deader, Hellseeker and Hellworld is that those were original scripts that got the Hellraiser/Pinhead brand tacked onto it. You can see it really come through because of the overall tone and pacing of those films. The thing is, some of them honestly aren't bad. Inferno is a lot like Jacob's Ladder, so if you liked that film, you'll probably like Inferno. It's a real gem. Hellseeker wasn't bad because they brought back Kirsty from the original two, so it was interesting to watch. Deader is meh, Hellworld is downright silly but if you like Lance Henriksen, it doesn't entirely disappoint.

As far as the Judeo-Christian lore or whatever, you have to kind of suspend the concept of what "Hell" is considering the actual Hell in the film world is an endless maze of corridors and rooms of people's personal hells that are looked over by a bunch of mutants that wear gimp suits and are ruled by a gigantic floating polyhedron named Leviathan that has a crazy pet monster called the Engineer. I don't think you'll find that anywhere in the Good Book. You kind of have to take it what you will... like whatever "Hell" is supposed to be in Event Horizon.

That leads me to Event Horizon, now that I think about it. I've seen it I don't know how many times and having watched it again, here are my thoughts:

Let me first just put out there, I personally think it's an under-rated horror/sci-fi film. I know some people who hate it or find it bland, but everyone certainly has different tastes. Pressing on...

Both Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill are really great in this for a variety of reasons. Most people know Sam from Jurassic Park, but when I hear his name I think of this film or In The Mouth of Madness. Same with Laurence and the Matrix and not Cowboy Curtis, but I digress. Sam is a great actor in my opinion who really sells the part he plays. Laurence also has some great lines, namely: 

This part cracks me up every time. Same with "Fuck this ship". 

I mentioned in earlier posts people have kind of said this is like "Hellraiser in space" and I mean I can kinda see their point, but it has its own unique flare to it. Paul W.S. Anderson did a great job on this if you ask me and the real horror here is that the unrated/extended/director's/whatever cut is pretty much lost to the sands of time and will never see the true light of day. I remember IMDb boards (when those were still a thing) demanding it for probably what's going on a decade plus. There are clips from what was cut (namely Sam Neill crawling around like a spider, for example) that should have been in the film regardless. 

I am a bit biased but I thought this film delivered on everything I enjoy: horror/a bit gorey and disturbing/some light comedy/sci-fi talk never hurts and above all else that always makes a film stand out to me: a bit of mindfuckery. Then again, I actually did read the novelization of this film and actually enjoyed that too, and I'm one who hates that kind of thing.

Is it a 10/10 or even a 9/10? No. I give it a solid 8 if not slightly more. That score would be higher if the unrated version could ever be found and released. It's a kick in the teeth to think this film could be better just because a bunch of tight-arsed execs wouldn't let it be. When I was a younger man my friends and I always joked that MPAA always stood for "My Parents Are Assholes" and that's a shame because so many excellent horror films get torn to shreds because of censorship/running times/whatever.

Also as an aside, I can't stand blu rays that come with basically no special features. What's the point?

images-1.jpg

Hellraiser 10/10

Hellraiser 2 8/10

Hellraiser 3 7/10

probably one of my favorite series, so gory, so awesome, also read the novel of the first film Hellbound heart and it's amazing as well, all the changes to the story/characters are for the better too, just wish they kept some of the details in like how Frank reacted to the cenobites and so on

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, Ozzman123 said:

Salo is more on the gross side really, Shitty Meals[pun intended] , torture and rape of the children, and some disturbing sex stories . i had a hard time with the poo eating but it's not too bad after that, heard the book is even worse, Serbian film to me just looks like gore and sex

Didn't even know there was a book! ... thanks for the tip, I might look that up ... easier to put down a book than turn off a film I find.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, TheHansonGoons said:

I hear ya. I am 36 so Salo and Serbian film are out for me now. I thought Irreversible was a marvelous film. I hate rape as shock in films, but the way its directed and pieced together, along qith character development and some of the shots made it a great film to me. Martyrs is another one I have trouble sitting through now. Absolutely loved the film nearly a decade ago though.

If you can handle Men Behind the Sun, you can probably do Salo. there is enough integrity to it to make it a decent film. I dont think any father should watch Serbian Film. Although its leagues ahead of August Underground in terms of artistic integrity. I thought AU trilogy was pure trash.

I love gore. I can handle most torture scenes. Philosophy of a Knife is doable to me. However brutal rape scenes and such are not for me. Especially a baby and children.

Human Centipede cracks me up as I think of some guy sitting in a drawing board room saying "i really want to accentuate the lighting on his face as his lips are being sewn to their asshole"

Glad its not just me then! :D

I guess I find films that do this sort of stuff well (ie. have integrity as you mentioned) a bit tougher than the trashy ones.  The trashy stuff that's just shock for shock sake I can dismiss a lot easier because of their cheapness.

Great point re. Human Centipede. I'd love to have been in the room when they first pitched the movie to, must have been some reaction!

I haven't heard of Philosophy Of A Knife ... worth seeking out? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Glad its not just me then! :D

I guess I find films that do this sort of stuff well (ie. have integrity as you mentioned) a bit tougher than the trashy ones.  The trashy stuff that's just shock for shock sake I can dismiss a lot easier because of their cheapness.

Great point re. Human Centipede. I'd love to have been in the room when they first pitched the movie to, must have been some reaction!

I haven't heard of Philosophy Of A Knife ... worth seeking out? 

Not really unless you are a fan of World War 2. Its basically part documentary, part grotesque reenactment.

It goes between an interview with one of the "doctors" at the actual place, Japanese Task Unit 731. He discusses his orders, where he came from, what they did, etc. From that standpoint, its interesting. They try to reenact it in accounts from a Nurse and a soldier that are conflicted and dislike what they see and have to do.

However then they recapture some of what they did. Its honestly based off the same material as Men Behind the Sun, just not as bad as that film and has an actual interview going on. They show some actual stock photos and real evidence as well as practical effects of what happened to people exposed to radiation, goes into depth about soldiers raping women(I forget what they called the subjects) and impregnating them so the doctors can work on C sections. 

The scene that got me was a soldier playing a 45 record. Next to it is a lady in a chair. Its a close up of a mouth and he pulls out each tooth, one by one, to see how much pain a human can tolerate before passing out.

I bought the 2 disc collectors DVD years ago, and dont think I have ever finished it. I am not saying its a bad film by any means, just one of those that sits with you. And to note this, the rape in this movie wasnt like in Men Behind the Sun, where its brutally put in front of you.  Its more mentioned and away from camera if memory serves me correctly. Bought it back in '07 or '08 and haven't watched it since, so my memory may be foggy there