deathbat96777

Rate/review the last horror movie you watched/saw

30 Days of Night- 8.5/10  

This just might be my new favorite vampire movie! So well made and suspenseful. I would give it a 9, but I didn't care much for the ending compared to how I think it could've went. 

Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning

I guess I might as well come out and say it (and I made another thread about it anyway), but I'm not a big fan of the stereotypical slasher movie, that's all about gruesome kills and seeing naked women. I prefer horror movies with characters I like, so I feel tension as I watch them try (and inevitably fail) to survive. But I wanted to give this one a proper watch because I'd never sat through it all, and with all the Part V stuff in the game, I thought I should.

It was pretty disappointing. One hour and ten minutes of generic stock characters with no development, cheap, fake-out jump scares, then murder by a random weapon, before a final 15 minutes of fairly well executed chase. I've not got a problem with it not being the real Jason in this movie, but the idea is wasted in that it's not revealed to the very end, and has no impact on the story either way. It has a solid ending, of course, but something that gets retconned out of existence for Part 6. The idea is actually brilliant, a half way house full of kids with psychological problems and Tommy being suspected of possibly being the killer. It could of been great. Sadly, it wasn't.

4.5/10 and most of those points for the ending, and the ideas on display even if they failed to be explored.

A New Beginning is my fourth favorite Friday. I'd give it a 7.5/10. Has a lot going for it, but also has a lot of problems. 

Terror Circus

I literally just finished watching this and it was pretty entertaining.

How would I sum this up? It's a bit of a mix between Psycho and Motel Hell, and a little Hills Have Eyes. If you like all three of these I'd recommend it.

It's not going to become a top 10, I'm sure, but you will probably find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood

(I know I'm watching these in a weird order, it's as and when I can find them).

Okay, this is more like it! I really enjoyed this one. We have an actual protagonist to follow this time, with a proper storyline and character arc (and superpowers! Which is really fun in a horror movie, and a perfect unique twist) and some memorable characters who actually get to interact before they're killed off. Jason is also superb in this. Despite my slamming Part V, I actually love the simplistic, bald headed human form of Roy, but Part VII Jason is the Jason I remember from childhood, a horrifically mangled unstoppable zombie, who looks as superb with his mask off as his mask on.

The first hour still drags a LITTLE as the characters take too long to find out what's going on, and there's a FEW too many characters to care enough about them all, but enough memorable ones to make it fun. The fact that some of them survive a little while before being killed too makes it more interesting, as they try to outwit Jason, and aren't just instantly murdered. Psychic powers vs. raw brute strength is a great combination too, and really unique.

Some of the psychic stuff looked a little silly, but it's a horror flick, nobody expects great special effects, and the rest of the practical effects were great.

I really enjoyed this one.

8/10

Hatchet- 7/10

My Bloody Valentine (2009)- 8/10

Just watched it for the first time tonight. I didn't really like the first thirty minutes or so, but the rest of it was alright. I really liked the kills.

On 07/02/2018 at 2:16 AM, Hellraz3r said:

Leatherface.

Didnt feel very memorable, wasn't expecting anything great but was a pretty pointless. Feels like it's just a pointless let's do this because why not. I wouldn't really count it with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original or reboot) since they decide to change the family name, Tommy and generally muddle things.

5/10.

I watched this a week or 2 ago, I didn't care for it either. It might have been a better movie if it wasn't about Leather face. I never felt like that family needed an origin story, some characters are more disturbing when you're left to imagine how they got to the twisted place that they are at. Origin stories tend to make the characters more sympathetic and less unsettling. 

The Shining (Horror Film Class)

8/10 (Gold Tier) . Good horror movie although some of the scenes are more funny than scary.

And I forgot to review Let The Right One In last week. One of the best vampire movies I ever saw and it's oddly cute and horrifying at the same time. 9/10 (Gold Tier).

On 1/6/2018 at 7:49 PM, Jay Shen said:

Death Day

Horror version of Groundhog Day with some comedy elements as well.   A lot of copy and paste and I didn't feel satisfied after the end.

5/10

I watched that one too. I agree with your review for the most part. I did like the Baby mask on the killer, they did a good job making that mask creepy. Some of the stalking and chase scenes were well done in my opinion as well. I also thought the music did a good job in building suspense in a few scenes. My wife had her birthday recently and she wanted to watch it, and I thought it looked really cheesy. I had really low expectations but I'll admit it had it's moments. 

last horror movie i watched the other day was Resident Evil- The Final Chapter.It was okay,but i didn't like how many of the video game characters they killed off in the movies.In Final Chapter,we had Doctor Issacs back as the main villain,with Albert Wesker as a supporting villian.It seemed odd that Issacs now had a God complex,since it wasn't part of his character in the previous movies he appeared in.Also,didn't like how Wesker died in the movie,he took alot more damage that that in the fourth movie,plus the fifth video game.

Some good things i did like about the movie was that Claire Redfield actually survived the series.Also,showing Doctor Issacs and Wesker team up against Doctor Marcus in the opening reminded me alot of the Resident Evil Zero game,which was a nice touch.The movie also had some good fight sequences in it,plus some nice touches of humor at times.Also,it was nice to see a nod to the first movie near then end.Also,i got to see the triple barrel Hydra shotgun from the video games in the movie,which was sweet.I think my 3 favorite movies of the series are still 2,4 and 5.

My wife hasn't seen any of the Friday the 13th movies (maybe the reboot), so we've been watching them from the beginning. I'm the big horror fan, so I watched all of these growing up, seeing some of the later ones in theaters on release weekend. It has still been a decade or two since I've watched many of them though.

Last night was Friday the 13th Pt. 2. Obviously enjoyed it. Would probably give it 8/10. Not my favorite in the franchise, but still a classic. Very cool watching some of the special features on the them to get some of the backstory.

I stayed up and watched 13 Cameras on Netflix after that. I give it 6/10. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't rant and rave about it. I liked the concept of a landlord having hidden security cameras throughout a rental house where he spies on the tenants. More of a suspense film. The old dude that played the creepy landlord was an awesome character. The story line didn't do too much for me though. There are a lot of directions that idea could be taken. Some neat aspects, but I don't think I'd ever need to re-watch it.

20 hours ago, Peelman said:

My wife hasn't seen any of the Friday the 13th movies (maybe the reboot), so we've been watching them from the beginning. I'm the big horror fan, so I watched all of these growing up, seeing some of the later ones in theaters on release weekend. It has still been a decade or two since I've watched many of them though.

Last night was Friday the 13th Pt. 2. Obviously enjoyed it. Would probably give it 8/10. Not my favorite in the franchise, but still a classic. Very cool watching some of the special features on the them to get some of the backstory.

I stayed up and watched 13 Cameras on Netflix after that. I give it 6/10. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't rant and rave about it. I liked the concept of a landlord having hidden security cameras throughout a rental house where he spies on the tenants. More of a suspense film. The old dude that played the creepy landlord was an awesome character. The story line didn't do too much for me though. There are a lot of directions that idea could be taken. Some neat aspects, but I don't think I'd ever need to re-watch it.

if you liked 13 cameras,i think there's a similar movie called Sliver,with Sharon Stone, that had a building owner who was spying on tenants with cameras all over the building.

• Thanks 1

Veronica

As a big fan of REC, and this as a movie that shared director, I was excited to see this one. In the end though, I felt slightly let down. It was well acted and very tense, but I felt it dragged a little in the middle, and was a little predictable. It had some really great imagery though and some very creepy sequences, so still worth a watch, just not as amazing as I hoped.

7/10

On 2/28/2018 at 7:53 AM, JF13 said:

if you liked 13 cameras,i think there's a similar movie called Sliver,with Sharon Stone, that had a building owner who was spying on tenants with cameras all over the building.

Thanks for the suggestion! Saw it was on Prime Video and ended up watching it last night. The technology references do not hold up, but it wasn't a bad movie. I liked 13 Cameras better, but still enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Puppet Master: Axis Termination
Aviod this piece of fuck by any cost !!
There are better ways to wast over an hour of your lives.
Hiding in a closet as Mitch, and spying through the hole for 20 minutes is more fun than the new Puppet Master.

I'm watching Nightbreed now, and it's ok.
Hellraiser fans will like it.

On 08/01/2018 at 3:04 AM, Roy's #1 Fan said:

Creep 2. Just like the original it's a weeeeeiiird found footage film and I was totally into it. 8.5/10.

Me too. Peach fuzz is one weird sumbitch. That dude has got to be a bit cracked to pull off the role so well.

Warner bros released a version of Bloody Valentine with some uncensored kills, and they were pretty gruesome. If you like goofy Canadian acting and some juicy deaths, that movie is for you. 7.8/10. 

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth- 7.5/10

Hellraiser IV: Bloodlines- 7.5/10

Pretty okay entries that I think should've ended the series. 

Return of the Living Dead part 2 - 8/10, good but i liked the first one more

The Strangers 2 - 7/10 , suspense was better in he first and made you more terrified ,

Salo : the 120 days of sodom - 8/10, very interesting film, not quite horror but disturbing to say the least

Cannibal Holocaust - 10/10 , gory as hell, sick and disturbing, but i loved it

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [1974] 10/10 - classic, i love it

Texas Chainsaw 3d - 8/10 good but could have been better, love the gore effects, final act was a bit disappointing to me

I'm looking for a horror movie that I saw when I was a kid. I've been searching for it since I was six and can't find it. It's about this witch and a warlock that are also cannibals, and they kidnap young girls who go down this trail. At some point in the movie, the girls escape and give the witch's head to some guys in town and get paid for it, and the movie ends with them drowning the warlock by tying boulders to his feet and he drowned when he tries to chase them in the water. I don't remember many other details, but I would love to find this movie. Anyone know what I might be referring to? I don't remember any other details except for the girl put a huge amount of salt in a pot of meat the cannibals were cooking over the fireplace and the warlock exclaims in a funny accent, "Bleh! It's too saltay! It's too saltay!" which cracked me up

A Quiet Place - 9/10 

Don't know if it's horror, but god damn. That was good. 

Saw Mayhem on Shudder this weekend. It has Steven Yeun (Glenn from The Walking Dead). It is a pretty fun, gory, tongue-in-cheek horror flick set in an office building. I won't spoil the premise, but it was a fun watch for me.

7/10