deathbat96777

Rate/review the last horror movie you watched/saw

Leatherface.

Didnt feel very memorable, wasn't expecting anything great but was a pretty pointless. Feels like it's just a pointless let's do this because why not. I wouldn't really count it with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original or reboot) since they decide to change the family name, Tommy and generally muddle things.

5/10.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:08 AM, DamonD7 said:

The Bride of Frankenstein - 6/10.

To my surprise, fairly overrated. The comedy stuff really isn't that funny and kept on derailing the good bits. Plus I agree with Karloff, didn't like the Monster talking...saving it for the end would've been better. Expected this to be an absolute solid-gold classic, and instead ehh, I liked the 1931 original better overall.

I love the old monster movies but they are pretty cheesy compared to today's movies. You do have to remember, at the time nothing like this had ever been seen or done before. These movies truly scared people at the time. Censorship was extremely harsh then as well. They could not even get away with showing blood or anything remotely sexual, not even a glimpse of cleavage. If a man and a woman were on a bed, both of them had to keep one foot on the floor and remain fully dressed. Though in a few of these movies, some blood did get by the censors but if you blink you will miss it. 
   Although I love Karloff, he never read the original book or he would have had a different view. "Frankenstein, or the modern Prometheus" (if this is not the title, you are reading a rip off of the story. It has been in the public domain for a long time) was an incredible book. Mary Shelly who was 18 when she wrote it, published it in 1818 and created a new genre. It is actually considered the first science fiction novel. It a great book and I recommend it to anyone who thinks they know the story already. Spoilers..... the monster could speak in the book and was very intelligent.

The closest movie ever made to this book was "Mary Shelly's Frankenstein" (1994) with Kenneth Branagh as Frankenstein and Robert De Niro as the monster. Awesome movie, that one gets a 10 out of 10 from me. Big budget and excellent acting. I highly recommend this one.

The latest horror movie I saw was a Netflix original called Spectral. My expectations were greatly exceeded on this one. I will give it a 8 out of 10 for originality. Acting was good, and the story was good too. Looked like it had a fair sized budget.

Hellraiser- 8/10

It's hard to explain what I like and dislike about this movie. It's very well made, and it's compelling, but it's also insanely grotesque and unnerving, and it's almost distasteful, but in an elegant sorta way. I can't decide if I love it or hate, but there's definitely no inbetween. 

16 hours ago, Ahab said:

Although I love Karloff, he never read the original book or he would have had a different view. "Frankenstein, or the modern Prometheus" (if this is not the title, you are reading a rip off of the story. It has been in the public domain for a long time) was an incredible book. Mary Shelly who was 18 when she wrote it, published it in 1818 and created a new genre. It is actually considered the first science fiction novel. It a great book and I recommend it to anyone who thinks they know the story already. Spoilers..... the monster could speak in the book and was very intelligent.

Mmm, while I've never read it, I do know about it (and I've seen Branagh's version) so I know that the monster originally talks. Indeed, isn't really that monstrous in appearance, right?

Just within the way that the monster has been portrayed in the 1931 film, in those different terms, having him speak in Bride just feels very...off. Trying to revert it with a creature that's already an inversion itself is a clumsy fit, so that's why I agree with Karloff.

I actually enjoyed Son of Frankenstein quite a bit, so, I think it's just Bride's whimsical nature that rubbed me the wrong way.

7 hours ago, DamonD7 said:

Mmm, while I've never read it, I do know about it (and I've seen Branagh's version) so I know that the monster originally talks. Indeed, isn't really that monstrous in appearance, right?

Just within the way that the monster has been portrayed in the 1931 film, in those different terms, having him speak in Bride just feels very...off. Trying to revert it with a creature that's already an inversion itself is a clumsy fit, so that's why I agree with Karloff.

I actually enjoyed Son of Frankenstein quite a bit, so, I think it's just Bride's whimsical nature that rubbed me the wrong way.

They were all great movies for their time. Many people felt the same way you do at the time, that's why they had him mute again. House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula and Frankenstein meets the Wolfman continue the story after son of Frankenstein. But I can't remember the proper order.

On 2/7/2018 at 2:10 PM, deathbat96777 said:

Hellraiser- 8/10

It's hard to explain what I like and dislike about this movie. It's very well made, and it's compelling, but it's also insanely grotesque and unnerving, and it's almost distasteful, but in an elegant sorta way. I can't decide if I love it or hate, but there's definitely no inbetween. 

It's a brilliant film with unrelentless shots. The terror of the unknown and the seen come into play. Fantastic effects.

It's a unique expansion on the book Hellbound Heart.

Just saw Mayhem - 8/10. Really enjoyed Tim. Fun violence and some great one-liners. 

The Sacrament - 5/10. I will start by saying Ti West does above mediocre work. Typically builds suspense well, good shots, music choices, etc. However, I hate "found footage" films. This is definitely a take on Jim Jones and Jonestown in the found footage area. There was some awful lines and it's plagued with fouund footage syndrome - shaky camera shots, shots of the ground, overly suspicious characters when nothing has happened, bad writing. My prime example of an awful moment, the giy from Vice does an interview with the Father and gets so freaked out Father knew he was married. The asshole was wearinf a giant wedding ring! No real mystery there. There are other real goofy moments and it doesn't even touch on the brutality of Jim Jones while obviously trying to portray him. However, I think for a "found footage" film that wasn't trying to scare the users with jump scare tactics, and if you are familiar with Jim Jones, it's worth a watch if you truly enjoy the subject matter or director. Otherwise, probably stay away as there isn't anything spectacular here.

The Brood by David Cronenburg: 6.5/10

It’s a goofy seventies horror movie that I had to watch for Horror Film Class. But I was at least entertained and a little bit creeped out by the premise.

Well, I finally watched Victor Crowley. As much as I liked the original Hatchet trilogy, this one fell a little flat for me. Don't get me wrong, the practical gore effects were still top notch, but it just felt too enclosed to me with the downed plane setting. I like seeing Victor chase those idiots around the swamp and eviscerating them. This was like shooting fish in a barrel for him.

I still like the film, but it is my least favorite of the Hatchet films so far. Probably a 5/10 for me. It's an enjoyable entry into the series, but I actually expected more out of it.

Nightbreed, based on the novel by Clive Barker called: Cabal. Great Movie, great book.
   Not sure if you all would call this one a horror movie, but Solomon Kane from 2009. Puritan monster hunter in the middle ages with James Purefoy. Also a great movie. Based on old stories by Robert E. Howard (same writer that created Conan the Barbarian) dating back to 1928. Old stories redone can be incredible. Its all new if you never heard of it before.
   I have yet to watch the Hatchet movies with Kane Hodder, but I will check them out as soon as I have a chance.

17 hours ago, Ahab said:

They were all great movies for their time. Many people felt the same way you do at the time, that's why they had him mute again. House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula and Frankenstein meets the Wolfman continue the story after son of Frankenstein. But I can't remember the proper order.

After Son, it goes Ghost of Frankenstein ('42), Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman ('43), House of Frankenstein ('44) and House of Dracula ('45).

I only know because I just watched 'em all, a month ago I wouldn't have had a clue :P

On 2/9/2018 at 2:03 AM, Ahab said:

I have yet to watch the Hatchet movies with Kane Hodder, but I will check them out as soon as I have a chance.

They are a mixed bag for a lot of people. I personally enjoyed the original trilogy very much. The latest installment was still good, gory fun. I just feel like it was a step down from the first 3. I made a post about the movies here. I recommend them to anyone who likes throwback slashers, and doesn't mind over the top gore and some viscious, sometimes comical, brutality. I'm a huge fan of practical effects, so these films are right up my alley.

Watched Hellraiser II: Hellbound and absolutely loved it. Should've been the end of the series. I don't really feel the need to watch any of the others after that. 9/10

Creature From The Black Lagoon - 7.5/10
Scream 2 - 7.5/10
Madman (1981) - 7/10
Silver Bullet - 6.5/10

Edited by MyersVoorhees

Hellraiser: Judgment.
Better than the previous one (Revelations), and probably the best Hellraiser since Bloodline. But still... crap.
There is no Pinhead without Doug Bradley.

The Ritual...it's this new original horror film on Netflix, it's quite good. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I prefer the more minimalist first half of the film, but I gotta say the monster is very original and well done. The acting/casting is top notch. The leads are likable and I actually wanted them to survive. Definitely worth a watch.

The Howling - one of my favorite werewolf movies. Has some cheese, but great effects. 8/10.

AN American Werewolf in London - more of a recent research, but in love this movie. Landis has some great humor, yet the effects are practical. Great movie 8.5/10

Killers - really enjoyed this one. Not a typical plot and the end has some crazy intense shit go down. 8/10. 

Watched, for the umpteenth time, both The Thing From Another World (1951) and The Thing (1982) on consecutive nights.

The first one is more sci-fi than real horror, I accept, though the second definitely counts. Either which way, I just really enjoy both these different takes on the same story and can't pick between them.

It's really fascinating how the '51 version takes the approach of a tightly-knit group of people that trust and work together to defeat the creature. They make fun of other other and the dialogue is very fast paced and overlapping, with lots of great character moments, but they're also all pragmatic and professional in trying to understand then defeat what they're up against. While the time it was made and the budget means they were forced to take a humanoid monster rather than shape shifter approach, it's still a gem.

While the '82 version goes the other way - intentionally, as Carpenter was a big fan of the '51 version and didn't want to ape it but also wanted to make a film more faithful to the original short story - in making it a disparate group that don't trust each other, are often caught unprepared and playing up the isolation and loneliness of the situation. And of course, famously, Rob Bottin's effects work is given full gruesome creativity in bringing the creature to life. The ending is different from the short story but ends it on a nicely ambiguous note.

The Redeemer: Son of Satan (1978)

Wow. Came across this little gem a couple days ago. The story is a group of friends get together for their 10 year high school reunion, you know where it goes from there.

The acting was tolerable; charming in that 70's horror kind of way. The music, oh the music. Someone went ape-shit with a modular synthesizer or something and I loved it. The story was actually pretty bleak, I was kind of surprised. Really enjoyed it.

Pour through enough vintage horror and you'll come across things worth remembering. 

Piranha (2010 version)- 6/10 It only gets a six because of the second half. The first half caused me to almost give it a 3 instead. 

Tragedy Girls 7/10 Very "comedic" yet smart movie, using its jokes to point at certain bad aspects of social media youths

It comes at night 10/10 If u havent seen this one dont watch the TRAILER trust me, it has nothing to do with the movie and attracts completely different audience, than it should.

Halloween ( the original cuz I forgot it ) 7/10 damn this bby still has it 40 years later.

Scream 1 ( again cuz I forgot ) 8/10 still good and fun, but it doesnt appeal to young adults of this day and age as it did back in the 1996

Hellraiser: Judgment - 6.5/10

Nothing groundbreaking but i quite liked it! And the guy playing Pinhead was really good, if Doug never comes back as the character im happy to see this guy more

I'm dying to watch Hellraiser 3. Anyone know somewhere I can watch it for free without doing so illegally? The first two I watched on Netflix.