Sign in to follow this  
Dolemite

Using Stealth & Patience When Playing As Jason

Despite the recent nerfs to Jason and buffs to the counselors, I still find the online component of this game enjoyable to play. Yes, having Jason's grab and melee range buffed again would be nice, but until that happy day comes a change in tactics is required to effectively play the game as Jason, and frankly, it's a change that actually makes you feel even more like everyone's favorite hockey mask-wearing killer...using stealth and, above all else, patience to take counselors down.

Abilities such as sense and stalk are often used by Jason players, but they use them more as blunt hammers as opposed to a surgeon's scalpel. Using your abilities in conjunction with a little bit of deviousness can yield great results.

For example, last night I was playing Jason on the Packanack map. I turned on sense and saw that on the other side of the lodge were two counselors on the porch. I activated stalk, walked into the lodge, hid out against the wall opposite of the counselors and just waited. Eventually, their two glowing red silhouettes made their way over to the window by me, and I continued to wait until the 1st counselor opened the window and began his climbing animation, at which point he was committed. Then I just walked right over and grabbed him - actually making him scream and surprise in the process, which was great - and then tossed his ass right out through the same window he had just crawled in through. It was immensely satisfying, and it was probably similar to how such a scene would have played out in a Friday the 13th movie.

Yes, Jason has been weakened unfairly, but at the same time I don't think a lot of players are using his abilities to their maximum potential. Instead of just barreling after counselors right out in the open, experiment with being sneaky and patient. That match consisted of a bunch of counselors that stuck together, and I still managed get 6 out of 8 kills.

Anyone have a story about a particularly sneaky kill that they've managed to pull off as Jason?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Stalk has become one of the most important abilities after the last couple of patches.  I have used it to amazing effect, especially when someone jumps out of a window.  I sometimes walk to the side of the window, activate stalk, and watch the counselor jump right back into the cabin, because they think I was using Morph.
Also, Stalk lasts so much longer when you stand still in place.  I once saw a Jason stand in place by the phone in Stalk mode while someone fixed the phone fuse at Packanack.  The counselor had enough time to fix the fuse and go up to the room in the upper corner upstairs to get ambushed by Jason hahaha.  I never heard someone scream as much as this guy, it was a high-pitched terror scream for sure lol
So yea, being patient and taking your time, definitely works well, especially on some of those counselors who are used to juking Jason all match long.  Watch them from a distance and go in for the surprise Stalk attack, they will never expect it

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Serum79 said:

Stalk lasts so much longer when you stand still in place. 

Really? I was not aware of this, but it makes sense considering how long I was waiting in the lodge with stalk activated.

47 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

Anyone have a story about a particularly sneaky kill that they've managed to pull off as Jason?

I have been on both sides of this. I'll be completely honest, both were exciting and hilarious (to me at least). Both were in Spoopy Mode.

As Jason, there were two counselors left. It was a Vanessa and Chad. (Fuck chad! :lol:) I was in Rage mode, and saw that one of them was in Packanack Lodge. I figured, they were just trying to buy time to run the time out in the match by kiting and hiding as everything had been looted, and I had already busted all of the doors and windows. I shifted a short distance away and then ran back and hid by a window. Luckily, I chose the right window. Chad's goofy ass came climbing out, and I grabbed him and slammed his head up against the cabin. Luckily, he didn't have a knife! All I heard was "Motherfu...!!!" It was pretty satisfying. Vanessa got away, but I was OK with that. :D

As a counselor, it was almost the same thing. I was playing as Deb, and I believe there were 3 of us left. The guy playing Jason is a good friend of mine and we have a pretty healthy (or unhelathy, depending on how you look at it) rivalry going. I have been known to tunnel this guy as Jason, much to the detriment of my stats. lol Well, I heard him talking shit outside the house I was in. I then got the VHS "static" that he had moved away. I ran out of the destroyed front door and promptly stepped into a trap. Then Jason 8's scary ass stepped into the light and grabbed me (I had already used both of my pocket knives, much to his chagrin earlier). I yelled "Oh shit!". He then proceeded to do the water pump environmental kill on me, which I did appreciate.

These were great times that made me miss the original version of the game, when scares came much more frequently and, as counselors, we were all much more terrified of Jason. As it should be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

Really? I was not aware of this, but it makes sense considering how long I was waiting in the lodge with stalk activated.

Test it out when you get a chance :)  Standing still definitely appears to burn Stalk a lot less as opposed to when Jason is walking or running.

• Like 1

I have some sneakiness up my sleeve when it comes to playing Jason. My ability is to take my time killing, not to slash everyone like its a race or something.

The other week i morphed onto Higgins Haven Small (To take out electrical box). I noticed when I activated sense someone was making their way towards the lodge from the house just North. So with pleasure I activated stalk and made my way into the main room with the just the fireplace dimming light. The counselor came through the front door, locked it; and headed towards the room where the gun spawns. As they locked the door I walked over and stood right behind them. They turned around (It was a kid; He made me go deaf when he screamed) I grabbed him and split has little ass with a pig cleaver! Like you said, if you use stalk to your advantage it can make fun in the game so much more admirable.

Thanks for sharing your Stalk kill story!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

I just found proof of this haha
From a post that Wes made way back in March 2017: http://forum.f13game.com/topic/3559-jasons-fourth-ability-stalk-revealed/

Here's what he said specifically:
Q: How long does Stalk remain once activated?
A: If you stand still (don't move at all) it lasts for 3 mins. If you move around with Stalk active, it reduces dramatically. Meaning if you hit Stalk and then start walking, it will "burn" that ability off in about 20 seconds.

3 whole minutes, yea, you can scare the crud of some of the unexpected if you're in the right spot long enough hahaha

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TiffanyCox said:

I have some sneakiness up my sleeve when it comes to playing Jason. My ability is to take my time killing, not to slash everyone like its a race or something.

The other week i morphed onto Higgins Haven Small (To take out electrical box). I noticed when I activated sense someone was making their way towards the lodge from the house just North of the lodge. So with pleasure I activated stalk and made my way into the main room with the just the fireplace dimming light. The counselor came through the front door, locked it; and headed towards the room where the gun spawns. As they locked the door I walked over and stood right behind them. They turned around (It was a kid; He made me go deaf when he screamed) I grabbed him and split has little ass with a pig cleaver! Like you said, if you use stalk to your advantage it can make fun in the game so much more admirable.

Thanks for sharing your Stalk kill story!

Thanks for sharing your story as well! Geez, I wish you had recorded that...it sounds amazing.

Another story...I activated sense and saw a house in the near distance light up red. I activated stalk and proceeded to shift over to the back of the house and noticed while I was shifting that the house was no longer red; the counselor had left through the front door and was making his way around to the back. My shift ran out right as I reached the back of the house, so I just sauntered over to the corner and waited. At first the red silhouette looked like it had changed direction, but I remained patient and seconds later they started back to the rear of the house again (since that was the most direct route to the cops, who had just arrived). Right as they rounded the corner I grabbed them and crushed their head (no pocket knife!).

I love it when  plan comes together.  :)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Serum79 said:

I just found to proof of this haha
From a post that Wes made way back in March 2017: http://forum.f13game.com/topic/3559-jasons-fourth-ability-stalk-revealed/

Here's what he said specifically:
Q: How long does Stalk remain once activated?
A: If you stand still (don't move at all) it lasts for 3 mins. If you move around with Stalk active, it reduces dramatically. Meaning if you hit Stalk and then start walking, it will "burn" that ability off in about 20 seconds.

3 whole minutes, yea, you can scare the crud of some of the unexpected if you're in the right spot long enough hahaha

Holy crud, that's a huge difference. Thanks for the info! I will definitely make use of it. 

• Like 1

Depending on the counselor and the skill level. You camp Jason for the 20 minute time victory.

Thus nullifying patience and stealth. Since you reveal yourself by having to go on offense.

Jason has no choice but to go on the offensive and the counselors have little reason to do anything but hoard pocket knives and first aid if they really wanna play that kind of game. Needs to be more downside to that kind of playstyle than a rage mode that allows counselors to free hit Jason when he enters a cabin.

1 hour ago, Dolemite said:

Despite the recent nerfs to Jason and buffs to the counselors, I still find the online component of this game enjoyable to play. Yes, having Jason's grab and melee range buffed again would be nice, but until that happy day comes a change in tactics is required to effectively play the game as Jason, and frankly, it's a change that actually makes you feel even more like everyone's favorite hockey mask-wearing killer...using stealth and, above all else, patience to take counselors down.

Abilities such as sense and stalk are often used by Jason players, but they use them more as blunt hammers as opposed to a surgeon's scalpel. Using your abilities in conjunction with a little bit of deviousness can yield great results.

For example, last night I was playing Jason on the Packanack map. I turned on sense and saw that on the other side of the lodge were two counselors on the porch. I activated stalk, walked into the lodge, hid out against the wall opposite of the counselors and just waited. Eventually, their two glowing red silhouettes made their way over to the window by me, and I continued to wait until the 1st counselor opened the window and began his climbing animation, at which point he was committed. Then I just walked right over and grabbed him - actually making him scream and surprise in the process, which was great - and then tossed his ass right out through the same window he had just crawled in through. It was immensely satisfying, and it was probably similar to how such a scene would have played out in a Friday the 13th movie.

Yes, Jason has been weakened unfairly, but at the same time I don't think a lot of players are using his abilities to their maximum potential. Instead of just barreling after counselors right out in the open, experiment with being sneaky and patient. That match consisted of a bunch of counselors that stuck together, and I still managed get 6 out of 8 kills.

Had a similar instance as Jason with a Deborah. She was the last counselor and I knew she had the fuse. I went to the fuse house and waited. I was already in rage so I could sense her long before she got close enough. Sure as shit she made her way to the fuse house. I hit stalk and I waited. I hid in the bathroom which was right next to the phone on the wall adjacent to my position. 

She came in and I let her start the call. After a few moments I walked out and grabbed her as she screamed bloody murder it was so satisfying to scare the player. I try to do those as often as I can. Sometimes you don’t have the luxury of playing with your food because other counselors are doing things at other areas on the map so the wait game isn’t an option than and there. 

• Like 1

The value of stalk has increased greatly, and it's use is bringing fear back into the game.  When used right, you'll hear the screams in your mic haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, imthatdamngood33 said:

Stalk, sense, morph...shift if anyone is near. Use in that order for success.

Morph? That's a waste of a ability in case someone is for example starting the car or about to escape. Use Sense, Stalk, Shift in that order and you can get a good kill that is if someone is even near by.

34 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

Depending on the counselor and the skill level. You camp Jason for the 20 minute time victory.

Thus nullifying patience and stealth. Since you reveal yourself by having to go on offense.

Jason has no choice but to go on the offensive and the counselors have little reason to do anything but hoard pocket knives and first aid if they really wanna play that kind of game. Needs to be more downside to that kind of playstyle than a rage mode that allows counselors to free hit Jason when he enters a cabin.

I'm not saying that Jason should just stand there using stalk the entire match and hope that the counselors blunder their way into his clutches. I'm just saying that, when used in a creative way and at the appropriate times, Jason's abilities can be far more versatile then how most people currently use them. A good Jason player can and should balance being both aggressive and passive for the best results (and a good scare here and there, hee hee). 

And yeah, I agree...that bullshit free hit counselors always get when you crash through a door has got to go.

29 minutes ago, Dolemite said:

And yeah, I agree...that bullshit free hit counselors always get when you crash through a door has got to go.

That and counselors stunning Jason through the window as he is breaking it. 

One of my favourite things to do as Jason is wait in stalk inside the phone house, and even let the counselor disable my trap and repair the phone box, and then grab them while they move inside the house. Works great inside packinak. It’s a bit risky, and I’m out a trap, but it’s worth it. 

3 hours ago, undrtkr said:

That and counselors stunning Jason through the window as he is breaking it. 

I feel bad now...I am one of those people who juke the sh*t out of Jason when he destructs a door. Its easy points and a key to getting time to escape.

I once let the four seater escape because 2 counselors (one with the propeller,one with gas) who didn't know I saw them,were crossing the bridge to the boat. I morphed over to the boat,hit stalk in the water and just waited. I listened to my friends debate fixing the boat and wondering if I was around. The jump scare when they thought they were going to slip away was totally worth it.

I also get a lot of mileage out of stalking the phone itself in the cabin when I know they are going to make the call.

"I didnt know he was IN THE FUCKING CABIN" was something I heard last night." 

Waiting in the water while the counselors fix and start the boat, only to capsize it and drown them once they've gotten a few feet, is SO much fun.

stand in place for 2+ minutes, it better be near the phone or a car, or someone is getting out away.

I have thought about "throwing" a match as Jason and walking in a cabin and just turning on stalk and stand in a corner and hope someone sneaks in and gets the crap scarred out of them. 

Running or speed walking burns Stalk much faster than slow walking. I'm not too sure how fast it burns while Shifting. I think it's equal to slow walking.

How i play, Stalk and Morph are the same thing. I never Morph without hitting Stalk first (when it's available). It sets me up for a stealthy shift-grab or the occasional shifting into an open door, which I'm always on the look out for.

My favorite and most repeatable way to trick counselors with Stalk is at the Higgins barn. If they're tucked in one of the cubicles (or whatever u call them) and I can't see them, I'll simply walk to the to the open barn door, say "oh fuck" on the mic and hit Stalk. 9 times out of 10 they walk right out the barn into my hands.

I always loved sneaky Jason players. Sadly, most people that I see streaming on Twitch just chases the counselors and all the time. Stalk is useless for them. As time passed, I stopped caring about this ability too.

@Dolemite Stalk lasts 3 minutes long when standing still and 20 seconds when moving.

If you want to kill at least half the counselors, stalking a location for awhile isn’t that logical. Most players left seem to have a good amount of experience. Any time I’ve tried to pull a sneaky kill on someone, either the phone is fixed or a car is getting started.

I still say there should be a mode where the proximity music doesn’t exist. THAT could be intense.

• Like 1