Sign in to follow this  
Crom The Beast

Original Friday the 13th Mode [Hardcore Mode]

When I was watching the PAX South 2016 conference for the game I remembered the discussion about bringing Betsy Palmer in, but it would of seemed kind of hokey in a sense for the game as a killer and wouldn't want to seem like some sort of cash in.

I think it was Ronnie who said that something like if the superhuman stuff was removed. It'd be like a hardcore mode. You'd be the best player out there if you won jesting a little, but it could be a decent idea.

It leaves you a very interesting option to have that original Friday the 13th feel. You're own kind of remake in a sense building the suspense of the original of who done it.

Stick to the 8 play online as normal, but instead it's all counselors for this mode. One counselor is chosen before or while the match is loading that they are the killer. No superhuman kills. Just a psycho's normal tools to get the job done. Same situation where it's at that point where it has kicked off and they know there's a killer on the grounds...

This would add a bit of that "John Carpenter's The Thing" paranoia of who has done it. Not knowing who the killer was until the end if they didn't botch it up. This mode would make it a bit tougher on the killers end since they would no longer be this unstoppable murder machine. The killer would have to rely on more stealth and using deception possibly coax another counselor to come off alone somewhere.  I could see a problem though with players trusting one another altogether to try to work on the tasks needed to complete this mock movie.

One way that that can be countered though is possibly even putting a mode that mixes between not knowing if it's going to be up against another Pamela type humanized killer, or the myth. I mean I don't know how that would all come out in a playtest with all your mechanics in place, but seeing the item room, and now getting an idea on the items you can grab make this a possibility. Would def. more of a mode best played with friends for a better immersion, but could be interesting.

So basically an Epic Mafia-esk mode where you don't know who the killer is? I like the concept, but i fear it would devolve into everyone just playing for self and attacking other people on sight.

Nah ,just one person would play as the killer like how the first movie was more of a murder who done it with no one knowing who the killer is, but the player. Battle Royale type games been done to death. Thinking about it more and more though It might just turn into more of "The Ship' like mode there where it would encourage more solo play than any team work. Might break the flow the teams core mechanics. Might not work without some sort of add or changes to the core experience.

I don't see how having Pamela Voorhees in the game is silly. she appears in the first 3 movies and shes an anchor character a main character of the story.she also appears as an under water sea weed queen,thats a corpse skeleton that jumps out of the water and grabs chris at the end of f13 part 3.so there is a supernatural mystique to the Friday story that must be honored.

To be really like the first movie, you need to have it as a 7 player whodunnit...and then a couple minutes from the end, an eighth player as the actual killer joins in :P

(btw, I've seen Criken playing The Ship a couple times and that seems pretty fun)

as the game goes on and new maps and characters are funded id like to see Pamela and Jason Voorhees in a hardcore mode.where there is an abandoned camp ground with run down cabins called camp blood.these abandoned cabins get complety pitch dark at night and they contain severed heads,rats,haunted cabins with supernatural manifestations of blood on the walls,shadow beings,and the skeleton zombie corpse of mrs voorhess that stalks the abandoned camp.