GeneiJin

So... is Jenny really Useless?

I know this may be a touchy topic for some.  After spending significant time with Vanessa/Chad and got tired of tripping to my death when confronting Jason, I decided to give Jenny a try.  While I do like her high composer (less tripping) and high luck,  I started to feel why everyone has a low opinion about her.  Now, I am not saying she can't be effective of surviving by herself, but I'm questioning her value of contribution to the team.  She is as slow as repair characters, but can't repair effectively, and she can't get to a counselor as fast as Chad or Vanessa to help them out.  Sure she can stand up to Jason pretty decent, but is sustainable to a shift-grab from a distance.   She can act as a "Pocket Knife" for front-line fighters in a pack, but she is a hindrance when moving from point-a to point-b.  Again, I'm not saying she is "unplayable" but I feel she really is the weakest consoler and I would like to hear you guys if I'm missing something here.

Update: I updated my stance on Jenny on 3/4/2018.  Go to Page 7

Actually because of her high luck Jenny can repair semi-decently using the re-roll trick (just release x and repress it at the repair wheel to reroll the number of repair checks).

I am all about working with the team and I main Jenny.

Jenny is also a capable fighter in a group or solo (high luck) , good at keeping jason away from objectives if you are delivering parts with her (high composure), a good driver (less likely to lose minimap), pretty good for grabbing the sweater.

Her stamina isn't terrible, and due to her composure she often regains stamina fairly quickly. A lack of speed is really her only real detriment.

Anyways, not everyone thinks low of Jenny. In fact, many people adore her. She tends to be polzarizing, meaning people love or hate her. The truth is, like most counsellors, she is somewhere in between. When I was a new player I loved her, but now at level 113 and a predominantly team player, she is my go to.

Many people love to praise a counsellor or tear them down. In reality, most counsellors are pretty good if the player knows what they are doing. Based on your post, you seem to really value speed. Ironically, I value it very little (I'll take stamina anyday). But Jenny isn't THAT slow. The can still hustle her butt. Speed is certainly her weakness, however.

• Like 1

I use Jenny 90% of the time and I seem to do just fine.  I do feel like I slow my friend down when I play with him and we try to stick together but it usually works out. 

Her survivability is low due to terrible speed paired with mediocre stamina. No amount of composure will change that because stealth is a meme. Now, plenty of characters have terrible survivability. But unlike Jenny they can perform a useful group function. Deborah repairs things lightning fast, for example. Jenny's only group function is to act as a bodyguard, but her speed inhibits her ability to do that, and other characters are better suited to it.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

Her survivability is low due to terrible speed paired with mediocre stamina. No amount of composure will change that because stealth is a meme. Now, plenty of characters have terrible survivability. But unlike Jenny they can perform a useful group function. Deborah repairs things lightning fast, for example. Jenny's only group function is to act as a bodyguard, but her speed inhibits her ability to do that, and other characters are better suited to it.

This. I agree completely. 

10 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

There is so much wrong with this post I cant even begin. At its core you are right, but you need to think deeper about character use. Im not trying to be insulting. Your points are spot on but there is much more to character use than that. 

I mean yes, her speed ia weak. But her stamina is just fine. Its not great, but any player can get around easily enough with it. Its not a hindrance. She also tends to regain stamina faster than most counsellors.

Plus, team play is not always about working in a close knit group. Jenny is fantastic at bringing items to objectives without jason noticing, and she can repair rather well using the reroll trick.

She is a very balanced character overall. In any case I am not saying you are wrong in pointing out her flaws, but if you expand your thought process and your approach you might realize that she is actually quite reliable for team play. Just as much so as Chad, Vanessa, Buggzy, and others. They excell at different things, but beyond characters like Deb who can repair something lightning quick, the rest of the characters have ROUGHLY the same uses to a team, which are of course much more dependent on the players who use them than the counsellors themselves.

PS: i used to DESPISE using Jenny, right up to around level 70. But since then, ive found she can operate on objectives behind the scenes the way no one else can, and she is one of the better counsellors for fighting and driving in a pinch, very helpful to groups. 

20 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

Actually because of her high luck Jenny can repair semi-decently using the re-roll trick (just release x and repress it at the repair wheel to reroll the number of repair checks).

Her repair is good as Vanessa, and while I'm quite good at "re-rolling" for a favorable repair, it's only practical when Jason isn't around.  When I say practically repair, I'm referring to repairing in Jason's Face during a stun, which isn't practical at all with these characters.  LOL, you'd think Jenny's repair would be better since she is the "Girl Next Door" which that troupe typically has a girl with real world everyday skills.

20 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

Anyways, not everyone thinks low of Jenny. In fact, many people adore her. She tends to be polzarizing, meaning people love or hate her. The truth is, like most counsellors, she is somewhere in between. When I was a new player I loved her, but now at level 113 and a predominantly team player, she is my go to.

Many people love to praise a counsellor or tear them down. In reality, most counsellors are pretty good if the player knows what they are doing. Based on your post, you seem to really value speed. Ironically, I value it very little (I'll take stamina anyday). But Jenny isn't THAT slow. The can still hustle her butt. Speed is certainly her weakness, however.

I like Jenny too, but esthetically.  In practice she falls short in too many areas when you could pick someone else to serve that purpose.   I do value speed, but it for purposes beyond just getting away from the Big-J.  Just go into a match w/ randoms as Jenny on Jarvis Map and you know what I'm talking about. 

15 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

Agreed.  That was my initial attraction to use Jenny, to protect other and fight Jason.  But she just can't move around fast enough to be effective when you have characters like Chad or Vanessa.

2 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

i used to despise using Jenny, right up to around level 70.

Right. She's not useless at all and the more you play the game the better you do with these so-called useless counselors and/or Jason's. :JasonPt7:

And I found that if you like a character enough, for whatever reason, you figure out how to make them work for you. One of the best counselor players I've ever seen mains Jenny.

And she's also the most fun to look at in a bikini.

• Like 3

I don't know how many matches I have roamed around the map as Jenny and barely ran into Jason. I don't know how many matches I was the last person alive. I don't know how many repairs I have made after finding an item and running it to the objective. For some reason I just fly under Jason's radar as Jenny most of the time. When I'm getting chased I don't lose my mini map very much and were as there is a perk for this I feel it's wasted on Jenny because of her high composure. I'm currently running Thick Skin, Marathon and Restful on her and I escape quite a bit. Jenny isn't the best character in the game but she can be used effectively. She is my go to character.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

There is so much wrong with this post I cant even begin. At its core you are right, but you need to think deeper about character use. Im not trying to be insulting. Your points are spot on but there is much more to character use than that. 

I mean yes, her speed ia weak. But her stamina is just fine. Its not great, but any player can get around easily enough with it. Its not a hindrance. She also tends to regain stamina faster than most counsellors.

Plus, team play is not always about working in a close knit group. Jenny is fantastic at bringing items to objectives without jason noticing, and she can repair rather well using the reroll trick.

She is a very balanced character overall. In any case I am not saying you are wrong in pointing out her flaws, but if you expand your thought process and your approach you might realize that she is actually quite reliable for team play. Just as much so as Chad, Vanessa, Buggzy, and others. They excell at different things, but beyond characters like Deb who can repair something lightning quick, the rest of the characters have ROUGHLY the same uses to a team, which are of course much more dependent on the players who use them than the counsellors themselves.

PS: i used to DESPISE using Jenny, right up to around level 70. But since then, ive found she can operate on objectives behind the scenes the way no one else can, and she is one of the better counsellors for fighting and driving in a pinch, very helpful to groups. 

I think this merits are more your skill than that of Jenny's as I would expect from someone at level 70.  I can survive just fine with any counselor, but I want to be able to effectively help and save others.  While its true that you can "re-roll" to off-set the low repair, but it does take some practice and decent reaction to do it effectively, and if you wanted to fairy a key item stealthy, why not just use AJ.  Having high composer can help keeping the mini-map for driving, but I can handle that regardless of the character due to my map knowledge or just equip Nerves of Steel to a low composer character. 

The only use she has, in my eyes currently, is she makes the game more challenging, which isn't bad in itself.  But when you ask yourself how you want to play and which counselor will be best (or close too) to for-fill it, Jenny doesn't have any compelling traits.

You all make fair points. She is not useless. But unless you intend to play as a loner and under the radar except while necessary, her role is to be a bodyguard, and Chad outclasses her at that. He can reach up to allies faster and get out of there faster, he has the highest luck in the game, so his repair should be even better, if luck influences repair at all... I'm not sure it does. And obviously he's got a few extra weapon swings. 

I think the problem with Jenny is that she doesn't have a such a defined role as the rest of the counselors... Although now Shelly joins her in that category. Still, she's challenging to play, so I'm often playing her just to get those final girl vibes, hah. 

3 minutes ago, Barbara Ann said:

You all make fair points. She is not useless. But unless you intend to play as a loner and under the radar except while necessary, her role is to be a bodyguard, and Chad outclasses her at that. He can reach up to allies faster and get out of there faster, he has the highest luck in the game, so his repair should be even better, if luck influences repair at all... I'm not sure it does. And obviously he's got a few extra weapon swings. 

I think the problem with Jenny is that she doesn't have a such a defined role as the rest of the counselors... Although now Shelly joins her in that category. Still, she's challenging to play, so I'm often playing her just to get those final girl vibes, hah. 

She's not the best at being a loner either. AJ doesn't make tons of noise just by moving at something faster than that of a snail's crawl.

1 minute ago, Barbara Ann said:

To be fair to Shelly, he does have High strength if you want to de-mask Jason, so he can be played as a slightly slower Kenny with that benefit.

2 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

She's not the best at being a loner either. AJ doesn't make tons of noise just by moving at something faster than that of a snail's crawl.

Not in theory, but I generally go completely under the radar playing as Jenny. I don't know why, but she feels way stealthier than she actually is. 

Just now, Barbara Ann said:

Not in theory, but I generally go completely under the radar playing as Jenny. I don't know why, but she feels way stealthier than she actually is. 

I remember reading somewhere that her stat screen is believed to be misleading.  Lists her stealth as a 6, but in practice it should be a 8.

You really can’t win as Jenny tbh. You either play her like a bodyguard protecting others with grabs. As soon as Jason gets an upper hand everyone will leave Jenny to defend herself. Or build her stealthy where she pretty much does nothing all match, becoming useless and waits for an escape or for her final girl status. 

17 minutes ago, TiffanyIsBae said:

You really can’t win as Jenny tbh. You either play her like a bodyguard protecting others with grabs. As soon as Jason gets an upper hand everyone will leave Jenny to defend herself. Or build her stealthy where she pretty much does nothing all match, becoming useless and waits for an escape or for her final girl status. 

Thats how I feel.  I am of the belief that if your going to do something, do it fast, otherwise you risk everyone dying, and you're now with Jason solo.  While I'd rather be around a Jenny than a AJ (this is more of the mindset of the player), as my experience AJs will flee, Jenny's will stick around, but I can't help but to think that player would be better suited to just use Chad.

No, she has a 8 in luck.

She can be used as a protector.

Also, I survived the timer today as her, only person left out of 8 people in the lobby. Her survivability is fine. She gets big stamina boosts from hitting Jason.

1 minute ago, Armani👑 said:

Also, I survived the timer today a her, only person left out of 8 people in the lobby. Her survivability is fine. 

Correction, your survivability is fine :D

49 minutes ago, MichaelMemers said:

Jenny's stamina isn't mediocre

She gets it back faster than others because of her composure. Her luck gives her stamina boosts from stunning & hitting Jason.

Just now, Armani👑 said:

No, she has a 8 in luck.

She can be used as a protector.

Also, I survived the timer today a her, only person left out of 8 people in the lobby. Her survivability is fine. 

With the issue I stated before, is that unless you have communication Jenny is hard character to get value from. When I see a Jenny, I see her as a 2 minute distraction. When you build her battle oriented, she has to be quick which she can’t do. As soon as Jason gets leverage everyone will outrun her and leave her to die. The play style to get her as the final girl, does make her useless. 

Jenny is my second main, first being Tiffany. I usually just run around by myself. She's good at fighting against Jason with her 8/10 luck, her composure is 10/10 so you won't loose your HUD so easily, and she has decent repair (keeps pressing the repair until you get an easy roll.)

Jenny shines at being a protector for a stealth character transporting a part to its location, and being a fighter, but otherwise, I usually run around by myself and helping out IF there is no-one else that can do it better then me.

9 minutes ago, TiffanyIsBae said:

With the issue I stated before, is that unless you have communication Jenny is hard character to get value from. When I see a Jenny, I see her as a 2 minute distraction. When you build her battle oriented, she has to be quick which she can’t do. As soon as Jason gets leverage everyone will outrun her and leave her to die. The play style to get her as the final girl, does make her useless. 

The thing is, speed is slightly overrated as a stat in my opinion to me. Stamina seems more important. 

The usefulness of a counselor is all dependent on the player using the counselor. Those who think outside the box can find the usefulness of any counselor. The same holds true for each Jason as well.