Sign in to follow this  
Barbara Ann

Game Mechanics Overhaul: Brainstorming!

I had a strike of inspiration yesterday when I saw a screenshot, and decided to share. Apparently, during the alpha it was planned for counselors and Jason to have their own abilities. I wondered what those could have been, and so I came up with some of my own. Let's begin! 

Adam Palomino and Fox: +30% car starting speed, and driving speed. 
A.J Mason: Tosses a radio at Jason in the face, stunning him. It resets fear level, and boosts +1 speed for a short period of time. Requeriments: Being within a building with a radio, and standing next to it to trigger an enviromental interaction. The radio is then permanently destroyed. 
Brandon "Buggzy" Wilson: 30% Stun duration.
Chad Kensington: +20% attack speed.
Deborah Kim: +30% chance to avoid Jason's sense ability while indoors. Homey girl!
Eric Lachappa: He comes with a trap disarming kit which enables him to break traps. Once used, it has a cooldown of 5,5 minutes. (Who's useless now?)  
Jenny Myers: Increases +1 Speed per Fear Level. Max +4 Speed at Fear Stage 4. The boost is reset once the fear is completely gone.
Tiffany Cox: Damsel in distress. All male characters within a certain range will receive +15% attack speed :wub:
Kenny Riedell: Head Counselor. All characters within a certain range will receive a +15% increased chance to stun Jason with any weapon.
Mitch Floyd: Designated medic. Using a spray on others also heals him for the same amount of health. 
Sheldon "Shelly" Finkelstein: He fakes his own death for up to 2 minutes, which gives him a 50% chance to avoid Jason's sense ability. Once used, it has a cooldown of 5,5 minutes. 
Vanessa Jones: She's able to wrap the arm of an impaired counselor around her shoulder and lead them to safety. They can let go of each other at any time by pressing E. Receiving any damage separates them. 

Other changes: 

Improved traps: Disarming traps with pocket knives triggers a minigame with difficulty based on repair skill. 
More Danger: Failing a skill check while fixing phone boxes and light boxes causes minor damage (Like going through broken windows.) 
Or/and alternatively...
More Fear: Failing any skill check to complete objectives increases fear level by 1. 

Now, on Jason's part...! In addition, I'd like to bump @VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow's thread. 

Here is how I would change the combat system:

1. More types of attacks. The original "quick" and "power" attacks remain, with the following additions(in combat stance):

• Sweep Attack: Hold both back and attack at the same time. Triggers a very wide, sweeping attack that can hit multiple counselors at once. Has a cooldown slightly longer than the delay between using throwing knives. Damage is between quick and power attack.
  • Stunner: Press the "crouch" button to punch a counselor with your left hand, making their screen blurry but not removing control for 2-5 seconds. Lowest damage.
  • Stunner's stun length is dependent on Grip Strength. Higher strength means longer blur effect.
  • Left Swipe: Hold left and attack to quickly swing directly to Jason's left. For keeping counselors to the left of Jason at bay while locked onto another counselor ahead of Jason. Low damage
  • Right Swipe: Hold right and attack to quickly swing directly to Jason's right. Just an inversion of Left Swipe. For keeping counselors to the right of Jason at bay. Low damage.

Part 2 Jason: Marked. Whomever steps into one of his traps is marked on the minimap for Jason to track for one minute. 
Part 3 Jason: He automatically enters stealth mode within a certain radio around the barn. It will last until being spotted, then, it will have 2 minutes of cooldown. (He spent most of the movie sneaking around that damn barn, lol.)
Part 4 Jason: He gets a minor speed buff that increases for the longer he has been chasing a counselor within a certain radio (Music cue)
Part 6 Jason: Tendon slash. He swipes the floor with his spear, creating a large cone in front of him that deals a basic slash damage, and causes counselors to limp for 5 seconds. It has 5,5 minutes of cooldown. 
Part 7 Jason: He can use the chain around his neck to slash counselors from a medium distance and cause basic slash damage. It has 5,5 minutes of cooldown, and can be used while walking. 
Part 8 Jason: +30% attack speed. 
Part 9 Jason: +30% stun resistance.
Savini Jason: -15% attack speed to counselors nearby. 

• Like 2

I love where your head's at. Though I feel like a lot of what you suggested for the counselors are already perks in the game.

-30% faster car starting speed = Grease Monkey

-30% increased stun duration = Heavy Hitter

-30% chance to avoid Jason's sense ability while indoors = Homebody

Instead of stat boosts we should add actual actions and abilities that no one else can just equip as a perk, to make them truly unique . Your suggestion of Vanessa being able to wrap an injured counselor's arm around her and use her speed to boost theirs is brilliant! Though I think you should only be able to use it on counselors that are in the critically injured "limping state". Giving them a helping hand would bring both of your speeds to a slightly faster jogging speed and gradually refill both of your stamina. Everything else, like taking damage cancelling it, would apply. Shelly faking his death for a 50% chance to avoid Jason's sense is also awesome and fits his character. I think the only counselor who would get stat boosts would be Jenny, being the Final Girl of the game. Everytime a counselor dies it should increase her stamina by +1 and whenever Jason's Rage Mode activates it would increase her strength by +5.

I agree there should be a skill check mini game for disabling Jason's traps with a pocket knife. As well as a unique sound effect to notify Jason for any failed skill checks like ever other repair has.

Marking someone who has stepped in Part 2 Jason's traps is also genius. Though Jason doesn't have a mini map. So I think the marking should be the counselor highlighted in red like when sense is used. And they'll stay be visible to Jason from anywhere on the map regardless of range for 30 seconds. Part 3 getting stealth is the right idea but his ability would only work if he was on one specific map and in a certain location. Which severely limits it's usefulness. I'd suggest that Part 3 Jason's chase music would be shortened to a radius of 15 feet and that he'll never never show up on the mini map unless he was stunned. This way he can surprise attack more counselors and go undetected as long as a counselor doesn't get the upper hand on him. Similar to how part 3 played out in the movie.

Can't think of anything else, but great post and hopefully we can all come up with more unique abilities together!

On 12/27/2017 at 3:19 PM, Barbara Ann said:

I had a strike of inspiration yesterday when I saw a screenshot, and decided to share. Apparently, during the alpha it was planned for counselors and Jason to have their own abilities. I wondered what those could have been, and so I came up with some of my own. Let's begin! 

Adam Palomino and Fox: +30% car starting speed, and driving speed. 
A.J Mason: Tosses a radio at Jason in the face, stunning him. It resets fear level, and boosts +1 speed for a short period of time. Requeriments: Being within a building with a radio, and standing next to it to trigger an enviromental interaction. The radio is then permanently destroyed. 
Brandon "Buggzy" Wilson: 30% Stun duration.
Chad Kensington: +20% attack speed.
Deborah Kim: +30% chance to avoid Jason's sense ability while indoors. Homey girl!
Eric Lachappa: He comes with a trap disarming kit which enables him to break traps. Once used, it has a cooldown of 5,5 minutes. (Who's useless now?)  
Jenny Myers: Increases +1 Speed per Fear Level. Max +4 Speed at Fear Stage 4. The boost is reset once the fear is completely gone.
Tiffany Cox: Damsel in distress. All male characters within a certain range will receive +15% attack speed :wub:
Kenny Riedell: Head Counselor. All characters within a certain range will receive a +15% increased chance to stun Jason with any weapon.
Mitch Floyd: Designated medic. Using a spray on others also heals him for the same amount of health. 
Sheldon "Shelly" Finkelstein: He fakes his own death for up to 2 minutes, which gives him a 50% chance to avoid Jason's sense ability. Once used, it has a cooldown of 5,5 minutes. 
Vanessa Jones: She's able to wrap the arm of an impaired counselor around her shoulder and lead them to safety. They can let go of each other at any time by pressing E. Receiving any damage separates them. 

Other changes: 

Improved traps: Disarming traps with pocket knives triggers a minigame with difficulty based on repair skill. 
More Danger: Failing a skill check while fixing phone boxes and light boxes causes minor damage (Like going through broken windows.) 
Or/and alternatively...
More Fear: Failing any skill check to complete objectives increases fear level by 1. 

Now, on Jason's part...! In addition, I'd like to bump @VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow's thread. 

Part 2 Jason: Marked. Whomever steps into one of his traps is marked on the minimap for Jason to track for one minute. 
Part 3 Jason: He automatically enters stealth mode within a certain radio around the barn. It will last until being spotted, then, it will have 2 minutes of cooldown. (He spent most of the movie sneaking around that damn barn, lol.)
Part 4 Jason: He gets a minor speed buff that increases for the longer he has been chasing a counselor within a certain radio (Music cue)
Part 6 Jason: Tendon slash. He swipes the floor with his spear, creating a large cone in front of him that deals a basic slash damage, and causes counselors to limp for 5 seconds. It has 5,5 minutes of cooldown. 
Part 7 Jason: He can use the chain around his neck to slash counselors from a medium distance and cause basic slash damage. It has 5,5 minutes of cooldown, and can be used while walking. 
Part 8 Jason: +30% attack speed. 
Part 9 Jason: +30% stun resistance.
Savini Jason: -15% attack speed to counselors nearby. 

I prefer abilities over passives, just because 3 Tiffany’s with the rest of the lobby being males would be overpowered. Another issue is that passives are determined by personality rather than actual in game stats. Being surrounded by all males would make Tiffany’s stealth useless.

5 hours ago, TiffanyIsBae said:

I prefer abilities over passives, just because 3 Tiffany’s with the rest of the lobby being males would be overpowered. Another issue is that passives are determined by personality rather than actual in game stats. Being surrounded by all males would make Tiffany’s stealth useless.

The passives wouldn't stack, obviously. I can't believe I forgot to specify that. And you raise an interesting point I had not given thought to... The fact that she's supposed to be on her own. 

I thought it was a good idea for her trope, since boys would usually -want- to be around her. And I also thought it'd be interesting to have some sort of supportive character. I still think it's a good circunstancial bonus though. 

13 minutes ago, Barbara Ann said:

The passives wouldn't stack, obviously. I can't believe I forgot to specify that. And you raise an interesting point I had not given thought to... The fact that she's supposed to be on her own. 

I thought it was a good idea for her trope, since boys would usually -want- to be around her. And I also thought it'd be interesting to have some sort of supportive character. I still think it's a good circunstancial bonus though. 

Tiffany could have 2 semi passives. I would love to have her as a supportive counselors. 

Damsel in distress; Once per match, Tiffany sires Jason for 1.5 seconds to drop his guard. 

Allies near Tiffany get a 10% boost to their strength, attack speed, and fear reduction. 

Get rid of combat stance. Assign block, dodge and heavy attack to buttons/keys. Improve hit detection. 

Then you have a combat system worth having. 

I like the idea of counselor perks but at this stage in the game Jason needs the buff more. But I like the ideas @Barbara Ann

1 minute ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

Get rid of combat stance. Assign block, dodge and heavy attack to buttons/keys. Improve hit detection. 

Then you have a combat system worth having. 

I like the idea of counselor perks but at this stage in the game Jason needs the buff more. But I like the ideas @Barbara Ann

At this rate, I would mind Jason getting his range increased. Don’t bring his old grab, but it’d work. Also give him 4 second stun immunity, after being stunned. 

I can't comment on the stuff about counselors, because when I think about them in detail or read through detailed posts about them, it becomes more draining than clothes-shopping.

But I can comment on Jason!!

Besides fixing the existing mechanics, anything new added to Jason should reflect that Jason's characteristics from their respective movies. 

Part 3 Jason: He automatically enters stealth mode within a certain radius around the barn. It will last until being spotted, then, it will have 2 minutes of cooldown. (He spent most of the movie sneaking around that damn barn, lol.)

This is a good train of thought, because it not only gives J3 something specific to him, it also links him to his map, making it even more special.

What could J2 do special for Packanack?

I think J4 should be the only Jason that gets the ability to throw people out of the famous Jarvis House window. And if you Rage through the front Jarvis House door, you get a badge for it.

We need a map for J6 with a good portion of it dedicated to the cemetery.  Have a J6 specific kill where he heart punches and throws the counselor in the coffin and it closes. And these should be worth 100 extra points instead of 50.

Make Crystal Lake J7's map and give him the weed-wacker environmental. 

NYC map for the great J8. Only he can drown you in toxic waste. 

We need a Part 9 map and I need to watch it again to figure out what could be cool. 

Jason X gets either the corkscrew environmental or the frozen-face-smash, or both.

Part 7 Jason: He can use the chain around his neck to slash counselors from a medium distance.....

This should go to pre-Uber J. I'm still holding out hope for his inclusion. J7 never used his chain in the movie. 

As an off topic side note:  In part 7, it always looks funny to me that he pulled the little extension cord off his neck with anger, but the big heavy chain that was actually responsible for his death is fine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

I can't comment on the stuff about counselors, because when I think about them in detail or read through detailed posts about them, it becomes more draining than clothes-shopping.

But I can comment on Jason!!

Besides fixing the existing mechanics, anything new added to Jason should reflect that Jason's characteristics from their respective movies. 

This is a good train of thought, because it not only gives J3 something specific to him, it also links him to his map, making it even more special.

What could J2 do special for Packanack?

I think J4 should be the only Jason that gets the ability to throw people out of the famous Jarvis House window. And if you Rage through the front Jarvis House door, you get a badge for it.

We need a map for J6 with a good portion of it dedicated to the cemetery.  Have a J6 specific kill where he heart punches and throws the counselor in the coffin and it closes. And these should be worth 100 extra points instead of 50.

Make Crystal Lake J7's map and give him the weed-wacker environmental. 

NYC map for the great J8. Only he can drown you in toxic waste. 

We need a Part 9 map and I need to watch it again to figure out what could be cool. 

Jason X gets either the corkscrew environmental or the frozen-face-smash, or both.

This should go to pre-Uber J. I'm still holding out hope for his inclusion. J7 never used his chain in the movie. 

As an off topic side note:  In part 7, it always looks funny to me that he pulled the little extension cord off his neck with anger, but the big heavy chain that was actually responsible for his death is fine. 

I am fascinating over your ideas! Well done and put together.

Part 2: Probably have the ability to hide quite well in the lodge and grab a counselor like he did with Ginny and Paul.

1 minute ago, TiffanyCox said:

Part 2: Probably have the ability to hide quite well in the lodge and grab a counselor like he did with Ginny and Paul.

Yes! Through the window, right?

That would also be very cool to give little buffs to Jason when he's on his specific map. If I can pry myself away from these Bots, I'm gonna give Part 2 another watch tonight.

• Thanks 1

Just now, WashingtonJones said:

Yes! Through the window, right?

That would also be very cool to give little buffs to Jason when he's on his specific map. If I can pry myself away from these Bots, I'm gonna give Part 2 another watch tonight.

Part 2 was always a great part of the series, couldn't leave out trash-bag head :D 

• Like 1