Sign in to follow this  
Beetlejuice91

Unpopular opinions in regards to Friday the 13th

2 minutes ago, Jason4prez said:

Okay I might piss everyone off alright! But (well I do enjoy them) these movies aren't good films especially the first three because they are the most by the book slashes ever and usually don't have very good acting and were only made because they were inexpensive and extremely profitable. But I do still enjoy them. Feel free too shit all over my opinion 

I thought the first 4 movies were fantastic for the time they were made. (Part 6 included) But I won't sh*t on your opinion because everyone should have the right to share what they think! I just slightly (well...largely) disagree with you. :D 

1 minute ago, TiffanyCox said:

I thought the first 4 movies were fantastic for the time they were made. (Part 6 included) But I won't sh*t on your opinion because everyone should have the right to share what they think! I just slightly (well...largely) disagree with you. :D 

I was harsh with what I said. One of my main points was I guess if you want a ground breaking story maybe these are not the right films 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason4prez said:

Okay I might piss everyone off alright! But (well I do enjoy them) these movies aren't good films especially the first three because they are the most by the book slashes ever and usually don't have very good acting and were only made because they were inexpensive and extremely profitable. But I do still enjoy them. Feel free too shit all over my opinion 

But you have to remember, during the time frame that these three movies were made, they were helping to write the book on slashers. Friday the 13th, along with Halloween and Black Christmas, were pioneers in the slasher genre. They are, by and large, why the slasher tropes exist. I know that many people that saw them years after release think they are just "paint by numbers" horror flicks. But when they were first released into theaters they were helping to set the standard by which other slasher films would be judged.

3 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

But you have to remember, during the time frame that these three movies were made, they were helping to write the book on slashers. Friday the 13th, along with Halloween and Black Christmas, were pioneers in the slasher genre. They are, by and large, why the slasher tropes exist. I know that many people that saw them years after release think they are just "paint by numbers" horror flicks. But when they were first released into theaters they were helping to set the standard by which other slasher films would be judged.

But they weren't made for the reason of popularizing a genre they we're made because they were cheap and quick to make while still being extremely profitable 

1 minute ago, Jason4prez said:

But they weren't made for the reason of popularizing a genre they we're made because they were cheap and quick to make while still being extremely profitable 

No, they were not made for that purpose, but that is exactly what they did. The common horror tropes wouldn't be common if it wasn't for films like this.

I only like Parts 1, 2, 6, and the remake enough to watch them routinely, so my opinion wouldn't be too different. I find these movies watchable, but they're definitely not my first choice. I do love the character of Jason though, and I love the game. I like it better as a game than a franchise, to be honest. Imagine what it could've been like if Friday the 13th never got a sequel after the first one, and it became a game series in 1996, something like a slasher Resident Evil. And we were sitting here talking about the 8th or 9th Friday the 13th game. Not made by Gun Media, more than likely. 

On 1/3/2018 at 11:20 AM, Rexfellis said:

Part V is one of the better movies in the series. High kill count, a little more story than some entries, Roy portrayed Jason's characteristics pretty well.

The re-make wasn't horrible. Some of the decisions made in the storytelling may have been (*cough* underground prison lair *cough*), but, I think it captured the essence of the franchise. As far as the Platinum Dunes horror re-makes go, this flick is one of the better ones.

The inclucsion of Tina Shepard in Part VII was a mistake, IMO. She was a cheap Carrie knockoff, and it is actually one of my least favorite in the series because of her.

Jason X wasn't bad. It featured one of my favorite kills (liquid nitrogen head smash), and the hologram scene was hilarious. Yeah, it was campy, but I had fun with it.

Freddy vs. Jason, while not technically a good Freddy or Jason movie was a blast to watch.

Part 9 was...well...it had...nevermind. I have nothing,  Jason Goes to Hell sucked ass! I tried.

Edit: I've got it! Creighton Duke was a damn good character who was, unfortunately in a very bad movie. The Necronomicon was also a nice touch. The dagger was fucking stupid, but, what can you do? 

You nailed it with Creighton Duke! He was bad ass  mixed on the Necronomicon being a part of it. Most of me likes it and loves the homage, another part of me hates it and the idea this director says it's canon and Jason is a Deadite. Really?? Then one shotgun blast to the dome or Chainsaw Ash would kill him quickly. Move over Jarvis, Bruce is vacationing at Camp Crystal Lake in a crossover.

On 1/3/2018 at 2:41 PM, Jason4prez said:

Though I would love to disagree, I can't. The camera shots, not revealing the killer, etc; all very by the book. Yet, I still enjoyed those 3 a ton. Especially Part 3.

Some people think Part 3 Jason was too "bumbling and clumsy". I see that, but I felt his depiction gave Jason the most character. Also the fact he was a stuntman that took over his role makes it more awesome in my opinion.

Kane in Part 8 did second best of making a character out of Jason. Personifying that is; not just being a silent monster, but showing there was/is something almost human under it all. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of passing the torch and I think it could have been cool if Friday the 13th did that. I know they were thinking of doing that with Tommy, but ultimately decided not to.

1: Pamela. 2-4: Jason. 5: Roy. 6-??? Tommy.

Here is my biggest one yet:

I was a huge horror fan before(still am) yet I always felt this series was redundant and ridiculous. How many times can you have him "killed for good" only to return in a silly manner. Too many incontinuities starting with Part 2. They we're always a decently budgeted rip off of Halloween. 

Don't get me wrong, I loved the films growing up(still do love them). As I started getting interested in stories, I realized this series is.. bizarre shall we say. It's fun a fun film series.

I have always had to make an effort to mentally separate IV and VII. I do not dislike either of them.

On 12/26/2017 at 10:55 PM, deathbat96777 said:

I agree with the remake not being bad.

My most unpopular opinion would probably be that C.J Graham is the best Jason.

I have to agree on C.J Graham being the best Jason. Part 6 is also my favorite movie of the series.

Jason was a hunter in that movie, literally equipped like a killing machine. I feel that after the backlash from Part 5 they knew they needed to deliver on the next installment and deliver they fucking did!

Speaking of Part 5 ... it really wasn't a bad movie. It has it's issues, mostly with a VERY human Roy being far too Jason like. (I understand he was meant to be a copycat but some of it went too far.) Other than the fact that Jason wasn't the killer, it really was a pretty good movie.

Jason X is a bad sci-fi movie and a bad slasher movie. But it was fun so it's definitely not worst on my list. That distinction goes to JGTH which was complete ass.

• Like 1

Jason X is okay, it's good for what it's supposed to be, which is a cheesy Friday the 13th in space. 

I actually like Jason X and prefer Uber Jason even doe he looks over the top.

I didn’t hate or dislike Part 9, only disappointment was not seeing Jason do the kills.

Freddy vs Jason did NAHT suck, it was fantastic when I got to see it especially because Jason is on freakin’ Elm Street.

It also connects with Part 9 and Jason X so that’s that.

I do not think the timeline is “screwed” only the comics screw it up a little but I enjoy them either way canon or not.

Derek Mears is my favorite Jason, followed by Hodder.

Not a fan of Hodder's Jason. Or any movie with him in it, whether it's from the quality of the movies themselves or from him, I don't really know.

Guess for me it's a shame that the one guy who loved playing Jason never really got the chance to play him in a movie worth watching.