Sign in to follow this  
Beetlejuice91

Unpopular opinions in regards to Friday the 13th

I decided to start an unpopular opinion thread about the F13 series for the heck of it. So here's some of mine:

I have mixed views on Kane not getting picked for Jason for Freddy vs Jason. The bad view is it sucked that he played Jason for so long then get ditched for reasons that have different stories of "he said, she said", it would've been a great way for him to end his time as Jason. The good view is I don't think he would've gotten along with Ronnie Yu seeing how he had a different view of Jason, there would've been a lot of clashing and he probably would've walked out.

Ken Kirzinger's Jason is very similar to CJ Graham's version of Jason in terms of mannerisms and movement. It's just the way he goes in for the kill and his movements like when he was with the two stoners at the rave.

Parts 7-X are seen as the bad ones mostly because you had to do different things with the franchise or else get accused of doing nothing new. It's a no-win scenario.

Part 6 has one of the best soundtracks and scenes of the films. It gets out of the 70's style music the first 5 had and gets rid of the slow motion death scene that was common at the end of those films.

The timeline is so screwed up after Part 4 in terms of continuity.

Freddy vs Jason and the Freddy vs Jason vs Ash comics can be seen as a shared universe in comic books.

The remake isn't all that bad, it's just slashers weren't popular in the 2000's with the way horror was with the Saw and Hostel franchises.

I don’t think Part 5 is as bad as fans say it is. It’s not as good as the first four movies or Part 6 or even Jason X but I still enjoyed it and I like Roy.

Speaking of which, I LOVE Jason X. I rank it as my fourth favorite in the series. I think it was the perfect ending to the series.

Freddy vs Jason was ass. Especially the Freddy portions.

Ted White is my favorite Jason, not Kane Hodder.

Pamela Voorhees is scarier than her son.

Trish is my favorite Final Girl.

Of all the lead male characters not named Tommy in the series, Steven is my favorite.

Remake Jason was actually pretty good and deserved a better movie.

Slo-mo kills were the rage in the early slasher genre because it heightened the drama and made it harder to flinch and turn away because the kill sequence took longer.

Mark flying down the stairs in his wheelchair and then paused in mid-death is a great example of this. It’s terrifying and forces the viewer to process what just happened, heightening the horror quotient.

Kane Hodder is not one of my top 3 Jasons. Those spots go to Richard Brooker, Derek Mears, and C.J. Graham, in ascending order.

Part 5 and Goes to Hell aren't bad. Part 5 has all the hallmarks of a F13 movie, and people are only mad it isn't Jason. Goes to Hell, I will admit, is a bad Jason movie, but it's a good horror movie otherwise with interesting ideas. It would've been better received with an original killer.

I don't find the concept of Jason X funny at all. That movie feels more insulting than anything.

Part 4 is very overrated. There's a huge gap where nothing happens, and with the exception of Crispin Glover, none of the characters are all that interesting, even young Tommy. Part 3 is way better, with a more even balance of kills and a fun, campy atmosphere that seems way more entertaining. Also, Shelly plot line > Crispin plot line.

The Friday the 13th remake is one of the best slasher remakes around. Unlike Nightmare on Elm St. or Halloween, they changed up the character to make him feel fresh, but didn't totally reinvent the guy so that it doesn't feel the same anymore. Having a survivalist Jason is not only cool, but it makes total sense, and having him run again maybe him feel very threatening.

One thing that piss me off thought is the heavy censorship that Part 7 went throught, to quote the director 'They raped my movie'. Can't help but to think it would have been a top friday film....

The remake with Derek Mears is pretty fine in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, Hudonj said:

One thing that piss me off thought is the heavy censorship that Part 7 went throught, to quote the director 'They raped my movie'. Can't help but to think it would have been a top friday film....

The remake with Derek Mears is pretty fine in my opinion.

Yeah, that’s disappointing considering today none of that stuff would be cut out by the MPAA. But back then, they were more sensitive to such violence.

Now we get Saw, Hostel, Human Centipede, etc.

But F13-7 was too much. Hahaha. Times are different, indeed!

I hate Part 7. The kills are censored to death, I couldn't wait for Tina's psychiatrist aka Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's to die, and Jason gets humiliated by a Carrie ripoff. They also made Jason look like a giant frog and his kills and stealth are more like Michael Myers type kills. It felt more like Halloween at camp than a Friday the 13th to me. I especially hate the weed eater kill and the kill where he punches through the guy's lower back annoyed me because it seems pointless. So you're gonna set up the exposition of him punching through the guys back like that, but he's not going to pull out his spine or any organs like in Part VI when he yanks the heart out of Tommy's friend? A close up of Jason yanking out his liver and then squishing it would've been nice and disgusting. 

I don't hate Part 3, but it's far from being my favorite. To me, it's just an okay movie, and it has a lot of really boring parts. If we're being completely honest, the only Friday the 13ths I really care for enough to call myself a fan of would be the original, Part II, Part VI, and the remake. I love those four movies and could watch them over and over and over and over and they're the movies that keep me interested in the series, and most of the parts in the others that I find myself enjoying are because they remind me of events in those four. 

To put my opinion in perspective: I'm tired of doing "insert number here" out of ten, so I'm going to give my opinion using percentages.

Friday the 13th- 82%

Friday the 13th Part II- 75%

Friday the 13th Part III- 60%

Friday the 13th Part IV- 65%

Friday the 13th Part V- 68%

Friday the 13th Part VI- 87%

Friday the 13th Part VII- 45%

Friday the 13th Part VIII- 55%

Jason Goes to Hell- 35%

Jason X- 15%

Freddy vs. Jason- 47%

Friday the 13th reboot- 85%

Highlighted and underline my four favorites. 

Part 5 and the remake aren't nearly as bad as some people make them out to be. Part 7 isn't all that great. 

• Like 1

I'm not too severe with part X thought. They obviously knew they ran out of idea so to decide to put Jason in space, and why?

.... because why 'the fucking' not?

Plus there is some cool kill and Uber Jason is Metal as fuck !

Unpopular opinion? So far after going through the movies, I think the original with Pamela is my favourite with the second being a close second. I find Pamela much creepier and more disturbing than Jason, especially when she flips from being nice to being completely psychotic. 

19 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

Part VI is overrated.

You DARE talk ill of part 6!? You know what I have to say!?....... that I respect your opinion. 

• Like 1

Jason X is better than Parts 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9 and the Reboot.

Pre-Uber Jason is better than Uber Jason.

The concept of Tina in Part VII ruins the movie worse than the MPAA edits.

FvJ is a masterpiece.

The Friday the 13th film series is fun and not scary...unless ur a child.

5 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

Jason X is better than Parts 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9 and the Reboot.

Pre-Uber Jason is better than Uber Jason.

The concept of Tina in Part VII ruins the movie worse than the MPAA edits.

FvJ is a masterpiece.

The Friday the 13th film series is fun and not scary...unless ur a child.

:blink: :blink: :blink: ....

5 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

-Pre- Uber Jason is better than Uber Jason.

Thats not unpopular...

5 hours ago, TheButtonMasher said:

Thats not unpopular...

Here at the forum it seems that way, unless my bias makes me focus more on the anti-preUber responses.

As a side bit of info, him having hair and normal skin plays into David Cronenberg saying that he has cellular regeneration.

I have yet to finish Jason X because I can't watch a crappy movie with some of the worst acting ever just because it has a few cool kills. May as well watch every Leprechaun.

I think Uber Jason looks stupid and wished we could have seen him unmasked.

Parts 1-5 are the only ones really worth rewatching. 6-8 maybe on a Friday the 13th to celebrate. Anything else is once every 5 years.

Tina having psychic powers was real dumb to me.

Part 5 had some of my favorite kills and was a fun film. I wasn't fond of the ending at first, but it has grown on me.

Kane Hodder is my third favorite Jason. Richard Brooker, then Ted White are number one and two respectively.

I love Fox and Shelly being in the game as part 3 is one of my two favorite films in the series. Part 4 being the other. Now I wish Demon would get his homage paid to him as he was also in Return of the Living Dead, and he was another one of my favorite characters. 

I think Freddy vs Jason is better than JGTH and Jason X. 

I think I am the only one that thinks a giant cruise ship will not be a fun map in the future. I foresee being trapped on stairs or tiny ship cabins a lot. Doesn't interest me.

• Like 1

Part IV is less than the sum of its parts, Part V and JGTH are engaged in a mighty battle over which I like the least (irritating vs stupid) and Jason X is a load of old blarney but nonetheless pretty entertaining.

Those would be my main ones, I guess, maybe not unpopular in all circles.

Oh, and that while I do really like Mathews as Tommy in Part VI, it's a real shame not to have had Shepard's nervy, shell-shocked Tommy from Part V back to get that catharsis.

Part V is one of the better movies in the series. High kill count, a little more story than some entries, Roy portrayed Jason's characteristics pretty well.

The re-make wasn't horrible. Some of the decisions made in the storytelling may have been (*cough* underground prison lair *cough*), but, I think it captured the essence of the franchise. As far as the Platinum Dunes horror re-makes go, this flick is one of the better ones.

The inclucsion of Tina Shepard in Part VII was a mistake, IMO. She was a cheap Carrie knockoff, and it is actually one of my least favorite in the series because of her.

Jason X wasn't bad. It featured one of my favorite kills (liquid nitrogen head smash), and the hologram scene was hilarious. Yeah, it was campy, but I had fun with it.

Freddy vs. Jason, while not technically a good Freddy or Jason movie was a blast to watch.

Part 9 was...well...it had...nevermind. I have nothing,  Jason Goes to Hell sucked ass! I tried.

Edit: I've got it! Creighton Duke was a damn good character who was, unfortunately in a very bad movie. The Necronomicon was also a nice touch. The dagger was fucking stupid, but, what can you do? 

• Like 1

The remake was the only movie of the series that I payed for that I trashed. I was 20 minutes into the movie and just couldn't watch it anymore. I thought personally it was horrible. All of the other movies between Part 1 and 8 were great though.

Okay I might piss everyone off alright! But (well I do enjoy them) these movies aren't good films especially the first three because they are the most by the book slashes ever and usually don't have very good acting and were only made because they were inexpensive and extremely profitable. But I do still enjoy them. Feel free too shit all over my opinion