Sign in to follow this  
Alcanx

Confirmed up to at least 7 pocketknives per match

1 hour ago, MichaelMemers said:

This is ridiculous. It would result in everyone just tanking the traps at the cost of medspray and keeping the knives to prevent getting grabbed. Part 7 would need to catch people tons of times despite being one of the weaker chasers. People only use pocket knives to disarm lone phone traps, and even then most will just step in the trap.

How is this any more ridiculous than the number of knives currently?  Did you actually read the post?   Three knives on the map for part 7.  Yeah, he may have to catch three different counselors twice, but is that really that unrealistic?   It isn't any worse than what the current state of the game is where he may be stuck in the neck 3...4...5...up to 7 times.   At least with this in place, you know what to expect when the launch screen hits and you see which Jason is in play.  

3 minutes ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

How is this any more ridiculous than the number of knives currently?  Did you actually read the post?   Three knives on the map for part 7.  Yeah, he may have to catch three different counselors twice, but is that really that unrealistic?   It isn't any worse than what the current state of the game is where he may be stuck in the neck 3...4...5...up to 7 times.   At least with this in place, you know what to expect when the launch screen hits and you see which Jason is in play.  

Why should part 9, who excels at catching people, have to catch people fewer times than part 2 who sucks at catching people?

3 minutes ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

I wonder if people who think of "only" three knives as being ridiculous were here at launch, when that was par for the course.

1 minute ago, MichaelMemers said:

Why should part 9, who excels at catching people, have to catch people fewer times than part 2 who sucks at catching people?

Part 9 does not Excel at catching people.  The person playing part 9 is in control of that.  And for some players, myself not included, part 2 is extremely easy to catch people with.  I've seen it.  I've been the victim of great part 2 players.  Plus, part 2's strong morph is helpful. Once again, skill level based.  

1 minute ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

Part 9 does not Excel at catching people.  The person playing part 9 is in control of that.  And for some players, myself not included, part 2 is extremely easy to catch people with.  I've seen it.  I've been the victim of great part 2 players.  Plus, part 2's strong morph is helpful. Once again, skill level based.  

No, Part 9 has a good shift with a low cooldown while part 2 has a bad shift with a crappy cooldown. Therefore part 9 is better at catching people than part 2. That's kind of the whole idea behind part 2. He sucks at catching people but in exchange he has the best map control in the game and often just lets people come to the objectives to die where they are most vulnerable.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Lecter said:

I wonder if people who think of "only" three knives as being ridiculous were here at launch, when that was par for the course.

Probably not.   That's ok though.  They won't have to worry about those dark days.  Same with the days of being stopped from going through a window.  When Jason didn't have to wait to break or hit the counselor and didn't have the force field to wait on.  

• Sad 1

They need to make the bear traps stronger. Really make the counselors think twice about stepping on the trap rather than using their knife, which apparently spawn in at an alarmingly high rate. 

• Thanks 3

The amount of knives doesn't bother me much. I certainly don't prefer the increase, and if it were me i'd set them at 5 per match to be found by the 7 starting counsellors. 

If i'm Jason I just keep up the pressure, slash till limping, and count the amount of knives as counsellors use them. If I am tactical about how I go right after the same counsellor after they use their knife, they will die soon enough anyway .

Knives might be auto-use items but how beneficial they are to counsellors and how problematic they are to Jason depends on strategy by both players. 

Knives add a valuable element of strategy to the game, but I think we have a bit too many on maps right now. I'd lower the amount by about two per match. That's just me.

The most annoying thing in the game, you finally catch that elusive counselor only to have them squirm out of your grasp like a little kid who doesn't want to be kissed by grandma and that "Whap!" sound effect as they stab you just to rub it in.  One thing is they need to let the player playing Jason be able to rotate the camera while stunned so you can at least see what direction they took off in.

2 minutes ago, He's Killing Me said:

The most annoying thing in the game, you finally catch that elusive counselor only to have them squirm out of your grasp like a little kid who doesn't want to be kissed by grandma and that "Whap!" sound effect as they stab you just to rub it in.  One thing is they need to let the player playing Jason be able to rotate the camera while stunned so you can at least see what direction they took off in.

I concur. Good point about the camera.

15 hours ago, pioneer67fkd said:

its not extreme thats exactly the amount there used to be 

5 is not an acceptable amount 3 is how many you could have when game originally released and its also minimum of traps jason has 4,7 and nine and most likely uber when he is released now for something else i want gone that dumbass scream from counselors so you can hide in plain sight again 

My bad I think I misread you as saying 1 pocket knife. 3 is OK. 7 is probably too many. I think 5 would be just right.

16 hours ago, pioneer67fkd said:

its not extreme thats exactly the amount there used to be 

5 is not an acceptable amount 3 is how many you could have when game originally released and its also minimum of traps jason has 4,7 and nine and most likely uber when he is released now for something else i want gone that dumbass scream from counselors so you can hide in plain sight again 

5 is too much? i am sorry but that´s just BS. 3 knives max is a joke. it´s babysitting jason. fk that.

fix everything else that´s wrong with jason instead of just dumbing down counselor gameplay even more to just ust them for grab. 3 knives means no one ever will use a knive for a trap again. wich will lead to more stunlocking jason in the current state of the game if knives aren´t used for escape.

I had a game where I had 3 pocket knives so I was just prepared to survive the night if I needed to. But I ended up coming across another player standing in front of the phone box with a trap  under it. I used one of the pocket knives on the trap so they wouldn't have to step in it and I ran inside to call the cops. After that I had figured the upstairs (the map was Higgins) had been checked already but to my surprise it wasn't. The first drawer I opened was another pocket knife. Then Jason  showed up, we chased for a while, only ended up using on pocket knife before the cops arrived and Jason teleported to the exit. On my way to the exit I saw a dead Chad who had 2 pocket knives on his body. And who knows what the other counselors had found and used.

37 minutes ago, TangledHelix said:

I had a game where I had 3 pocket knives so I was just prepared to survive the night if I needed to. But I ended up coming across another player standing in front of the phone box with a trap  under it. I used one of the pocket knives on the trap so they wouldn't have to step in it and I ran inside to call the cops. After that I had figured the upstairs (the map was Higgins) had been checked already but to my surprise it wasn't. The first drawer I opened was another pocket knife. Then Jason  showed up, we chased for a while, only ended up using on pocket knife before the cops arrived and Jason teleported to the exit. On my way to the exit I saw a dead Chad who had 2 pocket knives on his body. And who knows what the other counselors had found and used.

Here's a little tip: NEVER pick up more than 2 knives, 2 knives and a health spray is ideal, some Jasons can tell if you have a knife depending on how you play and resort to hack and slashing instead. That's where the health spray comes in handy.

That's why Chad with 2 knives died at the police exit, being cocky and trying to get grabbed, Jason obviously knew and hack and slashed instead. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

5 is too much? i am sorry but that´s just BS. 3 knives max is a joke. it´s babysitting jason. fk that.

fix everything else that´s wrong with jason instead of just dumbing down counselor gameplay even more to just ust them for grab. 3 knives means no one ever will use a knive for a trap again. wich will lead to more stunlocking jason in the current state of the game if knives aren´t used for escape.

I don't agree. 3 -, max 5 should be enough. Besides, if you keep the knife-count high, you will be dealing with both the stunlocks and knife-escapes. Of the two, I'd choose stunlock.

If I would have my way I'd drop the knife -count to 3 + Tommy, take away 2 of the 3 shotguns, take away probably 50% of the stupendous (rememeber the re-make :) ) amount of healthsprays,  make it harder to stun Jason and widen his melee range in the proscess. I'd also have his traps deal more damage than currently. After this it would be challenging to survive again as counselor. Honestly, now it is not very challenging.

You are always ranting on how Jason will get an easy game if counselors are "dumbed down", though counselors are currently getting off easy games bc Jason is "dumbed down". wasn't the whole point of this game to get the "Jason experience"? Or do you think the "counselor experience" is more important? You should feel rewarded when you finally get to play Jason. 

Edit: I can also comfirm to seeing atleast 7 pocketknives per game more than once

1 hour ago, lasse_hei said:

I don't agree. 3 -, max 5 should be enough. Besides, if you keep the knife-count high, you will be dealing with both the stunlocks and knife-escapes. Of the two, I'd choose stunlock.

If I would have my way I'd drop the knife -count to 3 + Tommy, take away 2 of the 3 shotguns, take away probably 50% of the stupendous (rememeber the re-make :) ) amount of healthsprays,  make it harder to stun Jason and widen his melee range in the proscess. I'd also have his traps deal more damage than currently. After this it would be challenging to survive again as counselor. Honestly, now it is not very challenging.

You are always ranting on how Jason will get an easy game if counselors are "dumbed down", though counselors are currently getting off easy games bc Jason is "dumbed down". wasn't the whole point of this game to get the "Jason experience"? Or do you think the "counselor experience" is more important? You should feel rewarded when you finally get to play Jason. 

Edit: I can also comfirm to seeing atleast 7 pocketknives per game more than once

instead of fixing jason via the number of items, there should be other things fixed. Deal with the problem isntead of trying to balance it.

and keeping them for grab escapes only, wich we will know will happen a lot, dumbs down the gameplay as it cancels disarming traps. wich encourages stunning him wich is too easy and the actual problem. that people go and hunt jason.

It’s simple, just make it so counselors can only carry one pocketknife at a time or if you have a pocketknife you can’t carry a weapon. 

The underlying problems of the game will not be balanced by tinkering with the existing items alone.

1. Abusive healing perks make med-sprays more useful in all respects. You can tank traps to save knives, and it negates the effectiveness of Jason’s trap damage, window hopping damage, melee damage, and throwing knife damage….

2. Excessive pocket knives, that don’t need to be used on traps, means that Jason’s grab is heavily mitigated. This leads to rather boring slasher only gameplay to compensate. So much for cool mo-cap kill animations.

3. Med-sprays in abundance, and a perk that allows you start with one if you want and another to double the uses, further complicates things.

4. Broken hit-detection for Jason’s melee further cripples him, but it is still his most effective method of killing because of item/perk abuse.

5. Broken window animation protections for counselors. Broken canned animations for Jason that leave him vulnerable to stuns (raging through a door).

The list goes on and on….

Items in over-abundance is partially from toning the difficulty down for casual players, but also it is a simple outcome of a lack of other types of items to diversify gameplay. We really could use some other things besides the existing utility items (fire crackers, med spray, map, walkie, and pocket knives). Someone mentioned putting flashlights in drawers instead of on counselors; that would be a great idea. Throw in a couple other gameplay useful items and spawn population across all maps could be adjusted to be more interesting.

Don’t get me wrong, I love that GUN/Illfonic made more of the map locations interesting by including new spawn locations, but for fuck’s sake please come up with some other types of items to broaden gameplay and tactics. Don’t just pile on more limited items that are abused by the poor game design choices. It’s not really the counselor’s fault all they can do to Jason is either STUN or DAMAGE. If items only generally do one of two things to Jason, that is a design flaw as well. That design flaw is compounded by volumes of items that can only do those things.

Someone suggested limiting the number of pocket knives carried. It would work to some extent, but it is still just putting lipstick on a pig. There are many other issues all coming together to create the current effects we are seeing. I'd much rather Illfonic expand their base concept slightly in terms of how counselors can affect Jason, fix the perk system to be worthwhile and get rid of abusive item/perk combos, and finally, diversify the types of items we have and what they do to Jason. Create gameplay variety not double-down on broken item mechanics.

Jason has some serious issues right now, but they pale in comparison to what is making him hurt in the first place. His faults are highlighted by how the counselors can interact with him and how they can overcome his gameplay mechanics.

• Like 1

Jason is supposed to be OP.  It's Jason!  Having 7 pocket knives totally negates that part and makes him feel weak because everyone and their mom has a pocket knife.  Even his dead mom's head on the table probably has one in her inventory :lol:

Seriously tho, Jason used to feel intimidating and scary.  Having limited med sprays, pocket knives and guns added to that effect.  It made you appreciate Jason being Jason and made him feel like he was in the movies.  The direction of this game has totally changed from a survival horror game where it felt legit suspensful to play if you werent Jason to a co-op friendly dress up party with Jason who doesnt need to be feared.

Lower the pocket knives, med sprays, and gun spawns and give Jason back his grab which doesn't have to be as crazy as the "force grab" but at least a grab that makes you scared to get close to him again. 

On 12/26/2017 at 6:57 PM, LuckyDrunkTed said:

In a match a couple of days ago, I had THREE knives in my inventory after searching just two cabins, one of which was a tiny mini-cabin.

That's nothing... I had a game where after searching 3 cabins and the bathrooms I ended up with a total of 4 knives, 3 medsprays, and 3 firecrackers. I put them all in one cabin and waited for Jason to come find me. Nobody was around and it was in quickplay so I tend not to share as much.

9 minutes ago, Truth said:

That's nothing... I had a game where after searching 3 cabins and the bathrooms I ended up with a total of 4 knives, 3 medsprays, and 3 firecrackers. I put them all in one cabin and waited for Jason to come find me. Nobody was around and it was in quickplay so I tend not to share as much.

Jeez!

***Jason breaks down cabin door with violent axe strikes, takes two steps inside cabin, looks down at cabin floor, does a 180 and walks out of cabin...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

Jeez!

***Jason breaks down cabin door with violent axe strikes, takes two steps inside cabin, looks down at cabin floor, does a 180 and walks out of cabin...

That's probably what I would've done. I think I wasted 2 firecrackers but got him on the third. Then I pretty much just stood there and let him take my knives before letting him kill me. It was just too much shit that he had to go through. I figured I would be nice and let him have the kill after all that.

8 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

one it's not dumbing down counselor play. it's just making it the way it was if you can't survive with three knives and about 6 health sprays than your probably a bad counselor 

4 hours ago, Corkenstein said:

Jason is supposed to be OP.  It's Jason!  Having 7 pocket knives totally negates that part and makes him feel weak because everyone and their mom has a pocket knife.  Even his dead mom's head on the table probably has one in her inventory :lol:

Seriously tho, Jason used to feel intimidating and scary.  Having limited med sprays, pocket knives and guns added to that effect.  It made you appreciate Jason being Jason and made him feel like he was in the movies.  The direction of this game has totally changed from a survival horror game where it felt legit suspensful to play if you werent Jason to a co-op friendly dress up party with Jason who doesnt need to be feared.

Lower the pocket knives, med sprays, and gun spawns and give Jason back his grab which doesn't have to be as crazy as the "force grab" but at least a grab that makes you scared to get close to him again. 

While Jason can be an immensely daunting, seemingly unstoppable force, he is able to be brought down with an ‘epic’ win condition. It’ll be difficult, require some teamwork, and perhaps a bit of ingenuity, but we’ll be giving you the tools and opportunities to realize the biggest win in horror gaming. That sense of relief at the end, knowing you stopped the biggest and baddest killer in the world is not something to take lightly.              lmao taking from the kickstarter page it is actually really easy to kill him now with the state the game is in