Sign in to follow this  
Caulus

Zoo had a point

Yeah, it is HIGHLY unethical is what he alleges is true. This is a game for adults, NOT KIDS.

THIS IS NOT A KID'S GAME. Any parent who buys this game for their kids should probably be investigated by social services.

Gun/illfonic should be ashamed of themselves if they are pandering to a younger demographic. There was no need to reduce the gore (as I've seen recently). There was no governmental pressure and there never would've been. I played Friday the 13th on NES, but that was before the ESRB ratings were established. Now that they are here, this kind of thing should be frowned upon.

I think @ZooMalfunction is on to something. If this is true, then it changes my opinion of the company as a whole. JPops shoiuld be ashamed of himself for locking that thread. I read the whole thing and thought that his lock was a disgusting display of unnecessary censorship.

As an aside, if there is a thread that is similar to one that exists from now on, LINK the original thread please. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In what way is adding skimpy outfits/costumes catering to kids and not adults?

Kids play Resident Evil and Left 4 Dead, which is full of skimpy alternate costumes along with extreme kills, kids play GTA, which has boobies, violence, gangs, etc.

Kinda strawman if you ask me. Would be easier to just say you don't like the devs.

• Like 1

I started watching these films when I was about 9 years old. So if I have fun playing this game with my 12 year son, kindly go fuck yourself. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Caulus said:

Any parent who buys this game for their kids should probably be investigated by social services.

Yeah no

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Except that kids are mass murdering like its going out of style.

Today's kids are not like we were. They don't seem to be able to handle things the way we did in the '80s. I know how impressionable children are. Do you?

You wonder why there's so many senseless school/church killings? look no further than the mirror.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tyrant666 said:

In what way is adding skimpy outfits/costumes catering to kids and not adults?

Kids play Resident Evil and Left 4 Dead, which is full of skimpy alternate costumes along with extreme kills, kids play GTA, which has boobies, violence, gangs, etc.

Kinda strawman if you ask me. Would be easier to just say you don't like the devs.

Yeah, the strawman is yours I'm afraid.

Do you think that angling gameplay towards a juvenile market will improve the quality of the experience or perhaps do the opposite?

I was likely the wrong person to start such a topic, as it'd only ever get conflated with my views on balance.

I also watched horror and gore films at a young age.

However...

That doesn't detract from the point of it it being potentially illegal or unethical to try to make mature rated content appeal more to kids, IF such a thing is happening here.

Your opinion on this can obviously wildly vary. What can't be denied is that far more children play this game these days than ever have. And I don't think that's right.

The question was simply - are the developers actively courting this demographic for money which their rating suggests they shouldn't be allowed to, or are their balance changes genuinely just how they think the game should be played, and it being more child-friendly is an unfortunate side-effect?

The new 'white blood' effect has just made me question this. It could be a glitch, but it's a peculiar one if so, as it emulates tactics distributors used on anime and videogames such as Mortal Kombat in the 80s and 90s to - wait for it - make those things more child-friendly.

• Haha 1

There has to be some kind of accountablilty. Before that last school shooting in the late '90s, there was a game that literally looked like a school shooting sim on the OG Playstation. It's not the kind of discussion that I'd like to have, but it is quite necessary.

I was playing Street Fighter 5 in front of my lady recently and I started feeling a little uncomfortable because all the females in the game were scantily clad. A sentence I thought I would NEVER utter.

I started feeling like, 'what does this say about me?.' I never felt like this when I played alone but when she was watching, it was awkward.

It's not always evident why other people are complaining but that doesn't mean their complaints don't have merit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

I started watching these films when I was about 9 years old. So if I have fun playing this game with my 12 year son, kindly go fuck yourself. 

If you're playing the game with your child, then you are likely explaining the difference between reality and fiction, ie. active parenting. NOT EVERYONE DOES THIS. No one is suggesting to you how to raise your kid. You should, however, exercise caution when doing so and raising the issue raises awareness.

Also, you should take your own advise and go fuck yourself.

14 minutes ago, Caulus said:

Except that kids are mass murdering like its going out of style.

Today's kids are not like we were. They don't seem to be able to handle things the way we did in the '80s. I know how impressionable children are. Do you?

You wonder why there's so many senseless school/church killings? look no further than the mirror.

No. Kids haven’t changed. Parents have. They refuse to take responsibility in teaching their kids right and wrong. And blame companies for not doing it for them. Like you are. We watched these movies and played these games, but still knew the difference. Because our parents taught us. Now you, and others are just being lazy and looking to blame the industry other than yourself. Get off your ass and teach your kids. They can watch the same movies and play the same games we did. If you take responsibility and teach them. 

• Like 6

Just now, Charlie Chainsaw said:

No. Kids haven’t changed. Parents have. They refuse to take responsibility in teaching their kids right and wrong. And blame companies for not doing it for them. Like you are. We watched these movies and played these games, but still knew the difference. Because our parents taught us. Now you, and others are just being lazy and looking to blame the industry other than yourself. Get off your ass and teach your kids. They can watch the same movies and play the same games we did. If you take responsibility and teach them. 

You assume ENTIRELY too much. You should also check your tone before things get nasty.

My kids like to watch me play F13, BUT I DON'T ALLOW THEM TO PLAY IT.

FWIW I'm a 35 year old man and my parents would let me rent these when I was 5 or 6 and let me watch them while they went out. I'm a fully functional member of society but I do think my parents were fucking idiots for doing letting me watch those movies. 

I also would not let my kids play this kind of game until they were teens and even later if I thought they weren't ready. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Chainsaw said:

I don't agree that games make school-shooters. I think that's a reach.

However, your point about parental responsibility falls down when looking at this from a developer's side, not a parental one, which I am.

As a responsible parent, you know what is suitable for your child. Which is why it's only illegal for kids to buy these games, not play them. Rules on alcohol are often similar. Kids are often allowed to drink at home under parental supervision at home.

But we have laws on companies because they don't know if a parent will be irresponsible or not before a product enters a home. And that's a good thing.

Yes, it's on the parent. But it's also on the people marketing this to kids without good parents.

My friend has a kid who he won't even let watch. If I had kids, I might allow them limited supervised play. But i'd still be upset if I actively felt developers were purposely courting kids, as that undermines both the law and parental choice, simply for more money.

Well if a quick search was done you would have found a thread on the matter. That post was nothing but a clever attempt to complain about balance changes. If you have an issue with my moderation on the forums you have every right to inquire beyond myself. 

Furthermore and irrelevant to the closure of the thread, you are making baseless accusations which hold no merit. If you are going to say balance changes are pandering to a certain demographic you are largely misinformed and it is baseless. 

Here are the facts, the game is rated M. Stores should be verifying age requirements upon purchase and PSN and Xbox Live have policies in place about underage accounts. In both instances it is ultimately up to the parents of the child to regulate what type of media thier kids are exposed to. It is not Gun nor Illfonics job to enforce parents purchases for thier kids. You have an opinion on the matter and that's all well and good. The rating is a Mature game and is sold as such what happens beyond that is out of anyone's control.

It sounds like you have an issue with children playing the game which is an issues that resides with you and you alone. The so called points that you reference are ones that highlighted  that some are struggling with the new meta. That is not indicative of anything and is only your speculation on the matter. What you call censorship is called moderation. A topic exists in both realms and repeat topics are against forums rules as is making a thread about a topic that was closed for being a duplicate. Please feel free to join in on the discussion already in progress and refrain from creating duplicate threads. Thank you and thank you for your feedback. 

Children Everywhere

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1