Jump to content
[IllFonic]Courier

Status of the "100% achievements" / "The Final Chapter" bug

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, GunMedia_Ben said:

Unfortunately, and as someone who claims to have worked at a triple-A publisher should know, the holiday season effectively halts all possibility for publication on consoles with Xbox One and PlayStation 4. I'd also like to point out that the brutal truth here is that the population with 100% achievements on one platform (Xbox One is where this issue is occurring) accounts for such a low number that there isn't much justification in halting the production pipeline to ready a patch up, post a build for cert and then get approval for a single issue that affects >.01% of the population on the single platform. 

It sucks for those players and we do get that these are people that have played hundreds and hundreds of hours (those that do it normally, rather than those abusing the system...which we are very easily able to detect those users that cheese the system). They've put a lot of time and energy into our game and it sucks that after completing every aspect of the game that's measured for achievements that they are essentially locked out. That sucks. 

We have to weigh the positives and the negatives;

1. We identified the issue on Dec. 22nd. We cannot force a patch during the holidays due to scheduling that is outside of our control with the 1st party platforms. 

2. The effected number of users is incredibly, incredibly, incredibly minor in a way that if we do decide to fix an issue for such a small number it would affect the overall timeline of work being done on other issues that are more pressing for our users that occur for the vast majority. 

This all comes down to hard numbers and what's the most pertinent issues for our community at large. We will have a fix in, and it will be coming with the next patch and that is exactly what the notification was on the original post, straight from the community manager of IllFonic. Not sure what more we can say? 

 

While Xbox has the holidays off, it is still possible to have a hot fix ready in the pipeline for when they come back.  No other game seems to have suffered from that and I already have seen numerous updates being rolled out for various titles.  I even saw a hot fix roll out on Tuesday on Xbox for another title.  Even during my time at EA we were able to get a patch or hot fix in.  Unless they changed policy that is the only thing I can think of.  It was never an issue for us.  Hot fixes should not take a lot of time hence why they are called Hot fixes.  If it is going to take you a significant amount of time to roll out a hot fix or push your timeline out of whack so significantly, something is very very wrong.  

Pretty much it seems to come down to, it sucks to be them but they are so insignificant it doesn't matter.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Corkenstein said:

While Xbox has the holidays off, it is still possible to have a hot fix ready in the pipeline for when they come back.  No other game seems to have suffered from that and I already have seen numerous updates being rolled out for various titles.  I even saw a hot fix roll out on Tuesday on Xbox for another title.  Even during my time at EA we were able to get a patch or hot fix in.  Unless they changed policy that is the only thing I can think of.  It was never an issue for us.  Hot fixes should not take a lot of time hence why they are called Hot fixes.  If it is going to take you a significant amount of time to roll out a hot fix or push your timeline out of whack so significantly, something is very very wrong.  

Pretty much it seems to come down to, it sucks to be them but they are so insignificant it doesn't matter.

Again, when the affected individuals are so minuscule, yes...it can seem like they are 'insignificant' from a user perspective. This bug causes a crash and it affects user experience. Did that stop us from fixing it? Absolutely not. It was one of our major concerns from the moment we were made aware. 

The fact is that when we were informed of the issue we tasked this to IllFonic as a concern to look at and continued to ping on status updates regularly with how things were going. That took away time from other QA initiatives for upcoming content, but it was a bug that was causing a crash. They worked for weeks on it to figure out what was up, and luckily solved the issue and announced a fix was coming over the holiday. 

Hotfixes still take time, still require cooking, build prep, upload, approval with launch on the Xbox One. The truth is this problem is rarely encountered as very few people ever attempt to get 100% on a game with achievements. The need for a hotfix would prove too costly in production, QA and other development aspects. The cost simply outweighs the benefits and has been rolled into the next patch that will come with a bevy of other changes/fixes that are planned as well, ones that are encountered far more often than this issue. 

Please keep in mind; there is a larger picture to take into account, one that factors in time and resources for new content, updates, fixes, etc. We weighed the options and it's very clear to us that while this bug does cause crashes, the actual affected population is so small that is it statistically insignificant. Still didn't stop us from fixing it and getting it ready for the next patch. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/01/2018 at 1:38 PM, Corkenstein said:

 

Pretty much it seems to come down to, it sucks to be them but they are so insignificant it doesn't matter.

I feel the same. This bug should not even exist in the first place. The fact that some (not myself) have not been able to play for months due to a glitch is inexcusable. Whatever time necessary should be taken to fix it, even if it delays new content.

As for Ben being not sure what we want him to say, the obvious would be when the patch is coming. Even then, there will be justified skepticism as to this bug being fixed. This is based on numerous fixes listed in prior patches that did not come to pass in the intended patch/update.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2018, and everything is still amateur hour with this development. Hot fixes and dedicated servers still soon, and telling affected users they are insignificant. It never stops around here... 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/01/2018 at 2:39 PM, Tim Voorhees13 said:

2018, and everything is still amateur hour with this development. Hot fixes and dedicated servers still soon, and telling affected users they are insignificant. It never stops around here... 

Totally. Not least of which is customer relations. You have to love this part:

”...the actual affected population is so small that is it statistically insignificant. Still didn't stop us from fixing it and getting it ready for the next patch. 

Patting themselves on the back for trying to fix something that affects a small number of people even though it’s their fault it’s broken and renders the game unplayable. :/

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I would have thought they'd be glad that we were QA'ing their game for them considering how expensive it is apparently to do so themselves during development. First P.H.D. wasn't tracking and now the game crashes when you have all Achievements. To think people are posting threads asking for the requirements of these grindy Achievements to be lowered so that they can earn them faster.

I do not appreciate being accused of "abusing" a system setup by the developers of this game. Plenty of games prevent Achievement progression in Private games. If mulitplayer Achievement progress had been limited to public Quickplay matchmaking I would not be surprised if it had taken another year or two for this bug to have been noticed by Xbox players due to the issues with trying to complete a Quickplay match, let alone 1000 as Jason. 

I would not expect Microsoft to appreciate a return to the tying up of their support staff with questions about this game crashing and possible demands for refunds from a much more significant number of the Xbox player base if this 100% Achievement game crashing bug had gone unnoticed for another couple of years. Something reminiscent to the launch release crashing issues with this game.

If I was a CM or DEV, let alone both, I would like to think I'd be showing my appreciation of being made aware of such a bug within 6 months of release of my game. Instead of taking jabs at such an "insignificant" number of Xbox players who have "abused" the system. I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to have asked if there was anything new to say after it having been a couple of weeks since this OP was made despite it having just been Christmas and New Years. As someone else mentioned, I too have downloaded at least half a dozen title updates in the past week on Xbox One for a variety of titles from large and small developers. Some of those patches did not even go into certification until a few days after the holidays.

I was a financial backer of this game during it's development. I guess that doesn't mean anything now that I have all the Achievements and can no longer play this game.

I'm not sure I can keep defending these people.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Signature.

 

Btw, the insignificant sentence from the cigar guy is the most boldfaced statement i have heard in many years.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a joke right. This is exactly why I stopped coming here and posting. But I got an email this morning referring to this topic and I wanted to see what the status was. After reading what @GunMedia_Ben. I’m done with your game and site. So now it’s my fault because I choose to get the achievements in every game I play. That’s funny. I say it’s your fault because you put out a broken ass game , then try to blame the player for playing it. So now I’m in a minuscule population even though I played your game since launch, wrote guides for it and helped others with it. Appreciate the support and vote of confidence. I’ve seen the writing on the wall along time ago. It’s great you guys are fixing it and acknowledging the problem but the damage is done and it’s to late for me. Also as I’ve said to you guys before, it’s not The Final Chapter Achievement that is causing this. A PH.D in murder was my last Achievement and I have this problem also. And the fact you guys are making us wait until the next patch when we have been unable to play since the September update, that’s just even better. Really shows you guys care and are making us priority. But Since I’m such an insignificant gamer to this development team, I sure am glad I got a FULL REFUND for this game and all the DLC I had purchased. That money felt real significant going back into my pocket and out of yours. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2018 at 10:11 AM, JasonX316 said:

This is a joke right. This is exactly why I stopped coming here and posting. But I got an email this morning referring to this topic and I wanted to see what the status was. After reading what @GunMedia_Ben. I’m done with your game and site. So now it’s my fault because I choose to get the achievements in every game I play. That’s funny. I say it’s your fault because you put out a broken ass game , then try to blame the player for playing it. So now I’m in a minuscule population even though I played your game since launch, wrote guides for it and helped others with it. Appreciate the support and vote of confidence. I’ve seen the writing on the wall along time ago. It’s great you guys are fixing it and acknowledging the problem but the damage is done and it’s to late for me. Also as I’ve said to you guys before, it’s not The Final Chapter Achievement that is causing this. A PH.D in murder was my last Achievement and I have this problem also. And the fact you guys are making us wait until the next patch when we have been unable to play since the September update, that’s just even better. Really shows you guys care and are making us priority. But Since I’m such an insignificant gamer to this development team, I sure am glad I got a FULL REFUND for this game and all the DLC I had purchased. That money felt real significant going back into my pocket and out of yours. 

It was for sure the final chapter that did it. I unlocked phd after only because it was still glitched. I had already done everything to earn it, so when it was fixed, it unlocked. But I had the freezing issue immediately after unlocking the final chapter achievement. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JasonX316

This is in one part not the Devs fault. There is a huge community base, they are getting report after report of bugs each day. They have a lot on their hands at the moment, and the next patch should arrive shortly. Hopefully we can see something towards the end of January or early February. It sucks, problems like this can ruin the fun in playing but you have to realize all games have a downside. Friday the 13th is just one that's not amazing with releasing patches when they need fixed, or when they should be. I am sure the Devs feel for people like you, we can only hope for the future. Sorry that this game didn't turn out for you. 

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×