Jump to content
ZooMalfunction

Poll: Should the game have a hardcore mode?

Should the game have a hardcore mode?  

71 members have voted

  1. 1. Should the game have a hardcore mode?

    • Yes
      62
    • No
      10


Recommended Posts

With the recent patch, extra items now spawn at campsites, including, absurdly, additional pocket knives and shotguns.

Packanack used to have one Shotgun in the lodge, then gained a second by the fireplace, and can now spawn two more at campsites. With Tommy, this makes five. When the game launched, the shotgun was a coveted and powerful weapon. And one balanced by friendly-fire, making it something to be used only cautiously. Now maps have 4x as many, and they can be used with abandon.

Even without taking into account the crippling nerfs to Jason from the previous patch, this is fucking absurd. It's clear to me that the game has become so far removed from the launch version as to almost have become a different game. It's no longer Friday the 13th. It's Saturday Morning Cartoon.

We need a hardcore mode, and we need it now. Give us the option to play the game you originally advertised and we originally paid our money for. Not this mess. Give us a mode that restores window hits, removes item marking, gives us back a respectable grab, and takes away the additional items.

I understand people are worried about splitting the playerbase, but it already is. It's now split between people who play the game and people who've largely given it up due to all the horrible changes. You'll likely see an overall increase in players if anything, due to those returning.

You cannot take people's money, then dramatically change the game they paid for, and still have a sense of ethics, unless you give them the option to roll those changes back. And not just in private, but quick play too. Not everyone has 7 others to play with. Plenty of games have public hardcore lobbies. This should be no different.

Playing as Jason is now just a frustrating, joyless slog. And playing as a counselor is an effortless, thoughtless, excitement-free stroll to victory. Enough. Give players back what they loved, and the product they actually paid for.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, malloymk said:

Agreed. More toggle options in general would be better as well.

I genuinely believe they fear giving players options because they fear being proven wrong when everyone takes that option.

That they've stubbornly chosen this hill to die on, and would rather see the game slowly die than have to admit their vision of the game was the wrong one.

I doubt they even care though. According to a post on Reddit, they spend all their time on PUBG, so I doubt they're even aware of the state of their game these days.

I'd love people to explain to me why choice is a bad thing though. Especially when we only want to choose to play the game the way it was when we chose to put money down for it.

I can 100% say that if this was the balance at launch, neither myself or any of my friends would have bought it. We're simply asking that your honour our original purchase.

If you bought a blue car, and the company came and painted it red while you were sleeping, you'd have every right to be pissed off, and demand they give you back the car you paid for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am all for a Hardcore Mode, but to sat that the Devs don’t care or are afraid to be proven wrong is a bit of a leap. It is probably more of a time and money issue.

For all we know they are currently working on something similar.

Just my opinion on the topic and not to be construed as fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes! Toggles for all of it. Friendly fire, item markers, selectable number of knives, sprays, shotguns. So sick of playing Jason against git gudders loaded with knives and sprays. Little shits who teabag and talk shit like they're something special because a pocket knife saved them three or more times. I miss the old days when multiplayer meant playing in the same room together, little cretins would NEVER act like they do online.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take away all the damn shotguns, knives and med sprays and make Jason feared again. Devs, stop giving into these little shits and make the game hard again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I would welcome a hardcore mode, as I am always up for a challenge, I don't think the changes make that drastic of a difference. I still very much enjoy playing as Jason in multiplayer and escaping from Jason is still challenging (provided Jason knows what he's doing).

Even with the alleged "game-breaking" changes (you kids and your hyperbole) to the window mechanics and grab-range, I can still rack up 6/8 or higher in most outings as Jason. No one jogs to victory when I'm Jason, not without fighting for their life or getting extremely lucky. Of course, when I point this out, it's always because I was "in a lobby full of n00bs who don't know how the play the game". And then when I point out these "n00bs" were Level 75 or higher, suddenly level doesn't equal skill... And so on and so forth. You kids love having it both ways... 

Either way, I don't feel "cheated" by the devs for making changes that they deemed necessary to their game that they went through the trouble of even making in the first place. To say that "they don't care" and they "aren't even aware of the state of their game" when they spend every day working on it is the absolute definition of the Dunning-Kruger effect. 

Having said that, I would still like to see a more difficult game mode implemented. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By far liked this game more back in August when I first started playing it. I joined the xbox group for the game back then and would always see people playing after the Jason Capon patch the group is basically dead. I think having more options would be best and any mode that would bring back more balance to the game would be much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted "yes" but what this game really need is a complete re-work, a patch dedicate only to fix bugs and rework balance.
Then yes, an hard mode can be interesting but the real problem is the vision of the game the Dev team has, spawn item increase, grab's nerf, hit detection broken and many other issue everything indicate a kind of gameplay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZooMalfunction said:

I genuinely believe they fear giving players options because they fear being proven wrong when everyone takes that option.

That they've stubbornly chosen this hill to die on, and would rather see the game slowly die than have to admit their vision of the game was the wrong one.

I doubt they even care though. According to a post on Reddit, they spend all their time on PUBG, so I doubt they're even aware of the state of their game these days.

I'd love people to explain to me why choice is a bad thing though. Especially when we only want to choose to play the game the way it was when we chose to put money down for it.

I can 100% say that if this was the balance at launch, neither myself or any of my friends would have bought it. We're simply asking that your honour our original purchase.

If you bought a blue car, and the company came and painted it red while you were sleeping, you'd have every right to be pissed off, and demand they give you back the car you paid for.

I'd be all for this. Unfortunately I doubt it's going to happen for this exact reason. They don't want to admit they've made ridiculously stupid choices. I think the game in its current state is the way they want it to be played. They clearly don't give a shit about the people that helped them make this game. They cater to the casual gamer/fan now. The ones holding the "counselor lives matter" signs. It's a sad state of affairs and I wish I had our game back.

The conspiracy theorist in me also believes they figure at this point the game is too far gone. If they deplete the player base a little more, they can save money and forget about dedicated servers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Brevator said:

While I would welcome a hardcore mode, as I am always up for a challenge, I don't think the changes make that drastic of a difference. I still very much enjoy playing as Jason in multiplayer and escaping from Jason is still challenging (provided Jason knows what he's doing).

Even with the alleged "game-breaking" changes (you kids and your hyperbole) to the window mechanics and grab-range, I can still rack up 6/8 or higher in most outings as Jason. No one jogs to victory when I'm Jason, not without fighting for their life or getting extremely lucky. Of course, when I point this out, it's always because I was "in a lobby full of n00bs who don't know how the play the game". And then when I point out these "n00bs" were Level 75 or higher, suddenly level doesn't equal skill... And so on and so forth. You kids love having it both ways... 

Either way, I don't feel "cheated" by the devs for making changes that they deemed necessary to their game that they went through the trouble of even making in the first place. To say that "they don't care" and they "aren't even aware of the state of their game" when they spend every day working on it is the absolute definition of the Dunning-Kruger effect. 

Having said that, I would still like to see a more difficult game mode implemented. 

Kids eh? I blame the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Toddarino said:

They don't want to admit they've made ridiculously stupid choices. I think the game in its current state is the way they want it to be played. They clearly don't give a shit about the people that helped them make this game. They cater to the casual gamer/fan now. The ones holding the "counselor lives matter" signs. It's a sad state of affairs and I wish I had our game back

Yeah sadly i have to agree with you. The last two patches are a balance nightmare, but, reading their post here they claim the balance is perfectly fine and jason's players have to "git gud"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I would love a more hardcore mode.

I'm not blind to the fact that pubs will play whatever mode is easiest for counselor. Hardcore mode will be played by friends and very few quick match lobbies will take part in it.

Add toggability, lobbies will become even harder to fill and even more divisive.

Examples

- Oh this lobby has Jason's chase music turned off? Ok, ill leave and find one that has it on...

- Oh this lobby has repair part icons turned off? Ok, I'll leave and find one that has it on...

- Oh this lobby has survivor icons turned off? Ok, I'll leave and find one that has it on...

Just like in L4D/2, people gravitated to whatever mode was easier for survivor, not infected. Hence why Realism and Realism Versus died.

Any mode that is a perceived buff to Jason, even with nerfs to Jason on some level, is going to be perceived as a nerf to counselor.

The only course of action is the devs having the courage to force the fixes on Jason and whatever buffs they have planned and put it in the base game.

Otherwise, the purist element will avoid it because its not 'the game as it was meant to be played'. The purist element will prevent it from being a success. The only course of action is to fix Jason and not worry about the beta/launch day complaints about Jason.

I could even see Paranoia dividing the playerbase, even if it ends up breathing new life into the game...we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  agree with decrease n of items and may agree with a more powerful grab, but remove item marks? Too much whining. Before the update, people dropping parts everywhere was a pain in the ***.

The other problem in a new mode is that will split the base of players. I think the base is not big enough for another mode, specially without dedicated servers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, slvrs said:

I  agree with decrease n of items and may agree with a more powerful grab, but remove item marks? Too much whining. Before the update, people dropping parts everywhere was a pain in the ***.

The other problem in a new mode is that will split the base of players. I think the base is not big enough for another mode, specially without dedicated servers.

LOL.  I read the initial post and was like, ‘Decreased shot guns?  Hell yeah!  Decreased pocketknives?  Hell yeah!  Increased grab?  Hell yeah!  Remove item markers?  Say what now?’

If this community had any skill, then I’d be for this.  But speed looters/git gooders have ruined the QP gaming experience.  I couldn’t imagine playing without item markers anymore because people horde items and die off in West Bumblefuck.  Or they carry items (like the fuse) away until they find their third pocketknife and then discard the fuse wherever they want.  

But, in general, yes, this game needs a hardcore mode.  It’s in a sad state now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted yes.

I’m pretty sure they are hedging their bets that making the game fun for 7 counselors per game who literally now have time to have costume\swimsuit dance parties next to the radio will sell more DLC.

Who cares if one person per game, Jason, is miserable?   You now don’t even ever need to play Jason again with the new Counselor only setting.  

This will eventually bore experienced players who’d like a challenge but in many lobbies people do seem to enjoy how effortless escaping has become. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I could sue them I would. I gave them my money and expect quality product. I expected a survivor horror game. I expected Jason to be fearful. Not this teabagging, dancing crap with a million shotguns, med sprays and pocket knives for counselors to chew on. 

The way they handle things. The way they LIE to us is a "fuck you" to all those who initially supported this game and made it come true. So because of that, they can take every shit we throw at them, because it's well deserved that they continue to get slam for it for not hearing our calls and only listen to the casual crybabies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ZooMalfunction said:

I understand people are worried about splitting the playerbase, but it already is. It's now split between people who play the game and people who've largely given it up due to all the horrible changes. You'll likely see an overall increase in players if anything, due to those returning.

 

 

people won´t come back to a new mode only. the game needs fixes. not content. this would split the playerbase. see this patch: basically only new content. no one came back. barely a 2K peak on steam.

also give back the grab? come on. that vacuum grab was a joke. a bad one.

custom keys, leaver penalties, bans for excessive ingame trolling (aka not escaping to the already arrived police for 10min just stunning the crap ot of jason), optimization (20fps in SP. new low. congrats illfonic)  this are the things needed for a comeback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted no, but with the way thing are going, probably yes.

 

To be honest there shouldnt be a hardcore mode, the game should just be hard for counselors. People need to learn what asymmetrical multiplayer is SUPPOSE to be... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played without any perks last night just for fun. So I was thinking about adding that to hardcore as well.

No perks. Counselor stats are everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brevator said:

I can still rack up 6/8 or higher in most outings as Jason.

Good for you, but not enough people share your view and the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. I used to say the same thing until I realized I'm not a good representation of the majority. 

 

I voted yes. But I don't think there should be toggle options; those should be for private matches only.

Hardcore would basically be Jason-friendly mode, and Core would be counselor-friendly. 

I would much rather have a single, properly balanced, multiplayer mode though, but this might be the best solution. 

 

@pApA^LeGBa Steam had almost 4000 players during the first day of the patch. At this moment, they have over 3 times the normal number of people playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AldermachXI said:

I played without any perks last night just for fun. So I was thinking about adding that to hardcore as well.

No perks. Counselor stats are everything.

Ive done this a few times as well just to bring some challenge back as counselor. Between this and taking up the mantle of "Imposter Jarvis" to save people and doing dumb things, its bee more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThePunkPirate said:

Ive done this a few times as well just to bring some challenge back as counselor. Between this and taking up the mantle of "Imposter Jarvis" to save people and doing dumb things, its bee more fun.

lol yeah. One night I was going around giving people items and doing a thumbs up and superhero pose after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×