On 12/27/2017 at 1:03 AM, WashingtonJones said:

I've been playing Bots for the past couple days and I love em, love em, love em!

I haven't caught anybody doing the draw thing, but they do like to swim in circles and hide a little too much.

I've been passing the controller back and forth with a couple of brand new players, and the times I stop coaching them, counselors have escaped by the cops and the car.

It's far from terrible. I'd say it's very good and with some fine tuning it will be great!

One odd thing that kept happening tonight is that on the Jarvis map, only the 2 seater would spawn. No boat or 4 seater. And I dashboarded once so far, right after the opening cutscene on a rainy Packanack round. 

I haven't had the desire to make it more difficult by not trapping things. I think about it but I have a hard time breaking my Jason habits. I have to trap. I have to kill.

All in all, I'm satisfied. Hats off to the dev team!:JasonPt7:

Yup. Just played against the bots for the last four hours and have been having an absolute blast. For the first time, I actually had an "Oh fuck" moment. I was spamming my morph ability with Part 6 and had a car start immediately during one of my morphs. The car got pretty close to escaping due to my morph taking a while to recharge, but I just barely got in front of it and killed the fuck out of LaChappa. Morphed away, killed a few more counselors and it started up again; this time by Tommy. I was surprised to see him actually trying to escape; much less being more than three feet from a drawer. Killed Tommy, trapped the car, and had a Buggzy step into one of them. It was a great time.

All the bots need is a little fine-tuning. Make them an actual threat so we actually need to worry about them escaping. For instance, they've called the cops a few times and I waited to see if they would actually try and escape; none of them even ran toward the exit. Make the bots not swim in circles. And, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, make it so they can't hide (or at least hide LESS)! I hate chasing a bot into a cabin because I know they're just going to hide; Seek and Destroy kills are boring. I can't think of one time where a bot has successfully hid from me. Bots need to run more and hide less. (EDIT: Well, Seek and Destroy kills aren't boring, but they're definitely not as fun as the other kills in the game)

Overall, though, offline bots are a great time. If the devs did develop the AI themselves, they did a damn good job.

@wes, @GunMedia_Ben, @ShiftySamurai

• Like 1

On 12/27/2017 at 2:03 AM, WashingtonJones said:

I've been playing Bots for the past couple days and I love em, love em, love em!

I haven't caught anybody doing the draw thing, but they do like to swim in circles and hide a little too much.

I've been passing the controller back and forth with a couple of brand new players, and the times I stop coaching them, counselors have escaped by the cops and the car.

It's far from terrible. I'd say it's very good and with some fine tuning it will be great!

One odd thing that kept happening tonight is that on the Jarvis map, only the 2 seater would spawn. No boat or 4 seater. And I dashboarded once so far, right after the opening cutscene on a rainy Packanack round. 

I haven't had the desire to make it more difficult by not trapping things. I think about it but I have a hard time breaking my Jason habits. I have to trap. I have to kill.

All in all, I'm satisfied. Hats off to the dev team!:JasonPt7:

I agree!  I hope they just keep improving the AI and giving more options on picking counselors and  outfits but the bots will be cool to play long after people stop playing multiplayer as much.

7 hours ago, TestedTwice said:

Overall, though, offline bots are a great time. If the devs did develop the AI themselves, they did a damn good job.

@wes, @GunMedia_Ben, @ShiftySamurai

Yea, I can't say it enough; they really did it!

Now, I wonder if the bots are adaptive to how you play because my nephew (brand new to the game and w/o being coached) had Tommy (driving backwards, haha) escape in the 2 seater and the 3 remaining counselors escape by the cops in one game. He's still getting the basic controls down so he wasn't much of a threat, so maybe they react differently if they're less pressured.

Yesterday Tommy finally caught the draw bug though. We went all Christmas and Boxing Day with a very healthy Tommy. Yesterday was also the first time I remembered to set the difficulty to Hard, so I wonder if that's causing it. 

18 minutes ago, Madmaxxxxxxx7 said:

I agree!  I hope they just keep improving the AI and giving more options on picking counselors and  outfits...

Yea, they should at least take on the way you have the outfits set for the multiplayer.

As a side note, there's something nice about seeing the character's names in the lobby list. Sheldon Finklestein, Vanessa Jones, Tommy Jarvis, etc.

So what setting do you guys think is the hardest ? I have not had the time to get in to the bots that much but I will later on and I hear hard is easy and easy is hard. 

I actually created a forum account just to comment on this.

I bought the game a few weeks ago for my PS4 but I haven't had too much time to play. I woke up early this morning and played a few offline rounds.

My observations:

Someone had posted before (it may be this thread or in another) that he thinks the difficulty is mixed up. Easy is actually hard and hard is actually easy. Although I don't think that's what's happening, there is something going on... I played on easy with 7 counselors. I can't remember if it was Jarvis House or Packanack small. Within less than 5 minutes both cars were started, cops were called and Tommy was radioed. - That is not an exaggeration.

It's funny how someone commented that when the bots drive they stay on the road. They're easily stopped... but I noticed that they were really aggressive in trying to start the car again. As I was chasing one counselor, two got back in the car. I mention this because when the cops did arrive, I killed two counselors who were really close to escaping but were running around in the woods just off the road that led to the cops. They both could have easily gotten away. In fact, unbeknownst to me a third counselor did when I got distracted by the second car starting up again on the opposite end of the map. Again, this was on easy.

I had some issues today (and only today, I never experienced this before) with two things:

1. I'm beginning to have difficulty with grabbing knives only when they are on the corners of the cabins. Jason starts to go into the animation, then stops. I usually have to do this 3 or 4 times before I can finally grab it.

2. I noticed today that it's become difficult to do environment kills in the cabins. I see the reticule pop up but the 'X' never activates. This happens a lot around doors.

Like I said, I haven't played too much but I've played enough that I can definitely say this wasn't an issue before.

As for counselors hiding when in the same room...here's the thing. About a month ago I injured my finger. It got infected pretty bad to the point where it swelled like a balloon. Almost every activity I did reminded me of the injury as the throbbing was relentless (Try wrapping presents when your middle finger is twice the size) and it just got worse every time I used it...which was all the time. I could feel the heat coming off when I inspected it. It didn't help that as it was beginning to heal I aggravated it again in an office chair incident unrelated to the game, prolonging the pain and swelling for another week. By the next day my finger again swelled up. This time even larger than before. The pressure and throbbing was so bad that I even woke up a few times during the night. I couldn't deal with it anymore so I just bit the bullet and I (carefully) sliced my finger open and squeezed the pus out. It poured out - there was a lot. A never ending river of white and red. BUT, every second the pus and blood streamed out of my finger it was quickly replaced with relief. Wave after wave the throbbing was replaced by glorious peace and comfort. The funny thing is, cutting my finger open did hurt - but it wasn't nearly as bad as the relentless pain I had to put up with. It's like I could feel the blade slicing my skin, but I just wasn't registering it. My eyes widened, I salivated just a bit and I actually gasped with joy because I could feel the pain subsiding with the pus.

That joy is EXACTLY how I feel when I'm in the same room as a counselor and I watch them hide under a bed right in front of me. Please don't change it. I love it too much.

One issue I do want to bring up. There have been a few times where Tommy has been the last counselor in the game - and he just hides. There was one game where I had to quickly go cabin to cabin and check every hiding spot until I found him. It was cutting it close. I probably had less than 5 minutes left. Again, this was on easy.

I've also noticed that some counselors begin zigzagging just before I throw a knife at them. It could just be something I'm choosing to see, though.

Counselors rarely set off my traps even when I put them near the car and phone. It's gotten to the point where I'm almost never using them.

I've had Tommy get stuck opening drawers about as many times as I've had him just hide and do nothing.

I've had counselors dive back and forth through windows. It's funny when they land right at your feet.

I've played on hard and the bots are quickly killed. I've played on easy and they've given me a challenge. It's not all the time but it's happened enough that if it were to happen again I wouldn't be surprised.

So far, I'm really loving the game. Sure there's room for improvements, but that's true of all games. I'm looking forward to seeing what 2018 brings. Congrats everyone.

My finger's doing much better, by the way.

The bots are finally doing kind of well escaping. Sometimes I even feel trolled, thanks to the item count. A Fox had three pocket knives. It should be less knives and sprays for Online play, but it works well for single player.

Of course I try more different stuff & play less try-hard offline, still it was quite the surprise to see the two-seater escape, police getting called and one counselor escaping by police.

I'd be happy if they reduce their tendencies to hide when Jason is near. Getting way too many "seek and destroyed" kills per match. Also, Tommy sometimes being AFK when he shows up really brings the offline game to a screeching halt for me. When he's standing around not moving, I can't find him till rage kicks in, usually a good five minutes after I've killed everyone but him. This has me racing to every generator at the start of the match to try to avoid him being called which is difficult to pull off since the bots are programmed to bee-line for whatever objective they're closest to. If I don't guess right the first time and fail to morph to the generator that powers the CB it's generally too late.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

Yea, I can't say it enough; they really did it!

Now, I wonder if the bots are adaptive to how you play because my nephew (brand new to the game and w/o being coached) had Tommy (driving backwards, haha) escape in the 2 seater and the 3 remaining counselors escape by the cops in one game. He's still getting the basic controls down so he wasn't much of a threat, so maybe they react differently if they're less pressured.

Yesterday Tommy finally caught the draw bug though. We went all Christmas and Boxing Day with a very healthy Tommy. Yesterday was also the first time I remembered to set the difficulty to Hard, so I wonder if that's causing it. 

Yea, they should at least take on the way you have the outfits set for the multiplayer.

As a side note, there's something nice about seeing the character's names in the lobby list. Sheldon Finklestein, Vanessa Jones, Tommy Jarvis, etc.

@GunMedia_Ben, @[IllFonic]Courier, @ShiftySamurai, @wes

What I think would make offline bots WAY better would be if you could play against your friends and fill the remaining spots with bots. Even with the current intelligence of the AI, they get enough done to where they’d actually be beneficial to the human counselor players. The only thing I could see being a problem would be the bots holding on to objective parts and running off into nowhere while Jason is around, but I’m guessing human players would be running away as well, anyway. Maybe a button prompt for the human players to just take the parts from the bots? I think that would be awesome as hell. 

7 hours ago, Thor_Bjarnason said:

The bots are finally doing kind of well escaping. Sometimes I even feel trolled, thanks to the item count. A Fox had three pocket knives. It should be less knives and sprays for Online play, but it works well for single player.

Of course I try more different stuff & play less try-hard offline, still it was quite the surprise to see the two-seater escape, police getting called and one counselor escaping by police.

I feel like Fox-bots always have at least

one pocketknife.  I honestly do not remember a single time I’ve seen her in offline where she doesn’t have one.  It’s gotten where I just slash her now to save the inevitable knife jab.

7 hours ago, SteveChristy said:

I'd be happy if they reduce their tendencies to hide when Jason is near. Getting way too many "seek and destroyed" kills per match. Also, Tommy sometimes being AFK when he shows up really brings the offline game to a screeching halt for me. When he's standing around not moving, I can't find him till rage kicks in, usually a good five minutes after I've killed everyone but him. This has me racing to every generator at the start of the match to try to avoid him being called which is difficult to pull off since the bots are programmed to bee-line for whatever objective they're closest to. If I don't guess right the first time and fail to morph to the generator that powers the CB it's generally too late.

100% this.  I always go for the generators to stop Tommy from getting called because between his afk spawning, drawer OCD, and shotgun/pocketknife combo, Tommy-bot is more trouble than he’s worth.

I was abused by a Vanessa bot! 

REPEAT

I WAS ABUSED BY A VANESSA BOT!!!

She was standing still, off in the distance. I walked up to her and she shot me with a flare and ran off. I caught up with her again and she whiff-baited me TWICE! I then go for a shift-grab and she fucking juked me at the last second, ran towards a cabin and jumped in a window. The door was broken already so I walked in and she ran around me. As I was turning around she doubled-back quick and fucking stunned me with a baseball bat! I finally get to grab her and the bitch had a pocket knife!!! She triggered me...I started getting pissed!! :D

7 hours ago, TestedTwice said:

What I think would make offline bots WAY better would be if you could play against your friends and fill the remaining spots with bots.

Yes. They should also use bots to immediately fill the spot of a player that quits in the middle of a multiplayer match.

And they really need to make an AI Jason. I'd love to be able to set up a private match with just a couple of friends. Maybe one us wants be Jason, maybe we all wanna be counselors. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Also, Tommy's dementia is in full swing now. He's useless. He definitely got worse over time it seems. 

In all the games I've played of offline bots I've still only had one counselor escape ever. I've been trying different stuff to challenge myself more:

I did the same with Part 7 and still managed a full sweep. I wouldn't mind seeing a 'Nightmare' difficulty setting.

14 hours ago, dodger1010 said:

So what setting do you guys think is the hardest ? I have not had the time to get in to the bots that much but I will later on and I hear hard is easy and easy is hard. 

They appear to hide more often on hard difficulty. Unfortunately they will do right in front of you. I've tried all difficulties many times and it does seem easy difficulty has them putting up more of a fight.

@daveliam

I always find Fox somewhere near a car with a part and Deb or LaChappa skulking around the phone house. Jenny and LaChappa always seem to have pocketknives, unless I catch them early.

@WashingtonJones

Glad you're enjoying it. :) Other than to test run Shelly, I haven't touched multiplayer.

Nothing too fancy, but I had a bot steal my kill in the most perfectly timed way yesterday (notice Jasons head tilt timed with the stolen kill):

Dumb bots, but funny scenarios almost every game!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RustInPeace said:

Dumb bots, but funny scenarios almost every game!

Hahaha. Without reading the post and just watching the video, it looked like they programmed the bots to rage quit.

I had a kill glitch where Buggzy completely disappeared into the ground at the start of the kill to where I was expecting to see the player's name and "...left" in the upper right.

@bewareofbears

Yea I'm having fun. Once I get back to my PC, I'll get back to some counselor play. I don't have the patience for host migration. 

I have a hard time being lenient so the only extra challenges I add for myself is trying to kill everybody before Rage and using the water to get around to learn the shore lines.

• Haha 1

A list of things the bots need to do/stop doing. I'm sure I will miss a lot of things.

1: Hiding in front of Jason.                      2: Jumping in/out of windows into Jasons lap.                                                    3: Hide in tents(just not when Jason can see them please).                  4: Stop getting stuck in the small cabin next to packanack(had 3 stuck there earlier today all at the same time) .                                                      5: Lay some fucking traps.                      6: Stop running into rocks.                      7: Stop swimming in circles.                  8: When they call the police and the police arrive, actually try and get to them.                                                           9: Tommy! Stop opening and closing that fucking drawer. Or just standing next to a campfire.                                    10: Use pocket knives on traps.            11: Go for the damn sweater now and again!                                                    12: Run around in little groups and have each others backs more.               13: Hide in out houses.

I love the bots, but adding/deleting some of these would make the experience even better.                                              

Edit: When I wrote this it was all nice and neat. Posted it and its all messed up.:blink:

• Like 2

Start checking your maps more often. 

Unless something masked the sound of the trap breaking, today I had an AJ Bot spring a trap with a pocket knife, fix the phone with no mistakes, all while having LaChappa make the call. I was set to Hard and I was :JasonPt8:.

I was so happy and nervous at the same time. It happened early too. I only had one kill at that point.

By the time the cops arrived I had killed all but one. I morphed to the cop's exit, and guess who was there making her way out? It was AJ! If she would've had a knife, she would've escaped.

Last night they called the cops twice. Once on Normal and once on Hard, both as :JasonPt7:. The first time I was fucking around trying to kill 3 counselors in one cabin, so I heard the trap break but ignored it. The second time, they broke the trap right after I morphed.

Could they be learning?

On 12/29/2017 at 2:37 PM, GreenEyedBandit said:

A list of things the bots need to do/stop doing. I'm sure I will miss a lot of things.

1. Stop hiding in front of Jason.                     
  2. Stop jumping in/out of windows into Jasons lap.                                                   
  3. Hide in tents(just not when Jason can see them please).               
  4.  Stop getting stuck in the small cabin next to packanack(had 3 stuck there earlier today all at the same time) .                                                     
  5. Lay some fucking traps.                     
  6. Stop running into rocks.                   
  7.  Stop swimming in circles.                 
  8. When they call the police and the police arrive, actually try and get to them.                                                         
  9.  Tommy! Stop opening and closing that fucking drawer. Or just standing next to a campfire.                                 
  10.  Use pocket knives on traps.         
  11.  Go for the damn sweater now and again!                                                 
  12.  Run around in little groups and have each others backs more.             
  13.  Hide in out houses.

I love the bots, but adding/deleting some of these would make the experience even better.                                              

Fixed and agreed 

On 12/29/2017 at 1:37 PM, GreenEyedBandit said:

1: Hiding in front of Jason.                      2: Jumping in/out of windows into Jasons lap.                                                    3: Hide in tents(just not when Jason can see them please).                  4: Stop getting stuck in the small cabin next to packanack(had 3 stuck there earlier today all at the same time) .                                                      5: Lay some fucking traps.                      6: Stop running into rocks.                      7: Stop swimming in circles.                  8: When they call the police and the police arrive, actually try and get to them.                                                           9: Tommy! Stop opening and closing that fucking drawer. Or just standing next to a campfire.                                    10: Use pocket knives on traps.            11: Go for the damn sweater now and again!                                                    12: Run around in little groups and have each others backs more.               13: Hide in out houses.

Edit: When I wrote this it was all nice and neat. Posted it and its all messed up.:blink:

Your thoughts are appreciated, but grouping "need to do" and "stop doing" thoughts in the same category without any disambiguation just leads to a headache. "Which does he want? Which does he hate?"

It's too early for that much thinking, and I'm only half-a-cup of coffee into this day.

I'm enjoying the offline bots alot,moreso than i enjoyed playing online,so i only play offline now.I play on Easy,but even then,they do call the cops,and one time 2 counselors made it to the cops just as i was getting there.I do notice they never seem to try to take the boat,though.I did notice too,that sometimes Tommy Jarvis stands there and does nothing for a few minutes at random times.I also noticed than none of the female bots on Easy go for Pamela's sweater.The bots on Easy do call for Tommy and the cops alot though.Bots on Easy also seem to always carry a pocket knife. I'm hoping one day we get an offline counselor mode,that would be awesome.Keep up the good work!

• Confused 1

I don't know if bots adapt to how you play over time, but I got back to my PC yesterday and the bots seem much dumber. They played pretty well on Xbox after a day or two.

I also have to completely readjust again to the controls. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's a perceptual thing with the higher frame rate, or that I have a newer Xbox One controller, where on the Xbox i was using the original controllers it came with (without the headphone jack).

Shifting is automatically better on PC. I could barely shift into an open door on Xbox. But standard stuff like keeping straight enough to grab is much tougher as well as using throwing knives. The controls feel like jelly on PC (if that makes sense) where on Xbox they were stiffer. It's very confusing and frustrating. 

Edit: I'm stupid. There's settings in the game to change the horizontal and vertical sensitivity for the controller. I think that's helped the situation. I still gotta play with it a little more. It adjusts by 10ths so you can really fine tune it. I wish I would've looked for this back when I first started playing. 

I found and killed a bot hiding in an outhouse tonight. First time I've ever seen one utilize that particular hiding spot.

I'm enjoying the bots a lot and I'm currently obsessed with the offline mode but has anyone had a bot hide inside a tent? I've yet to see one hiding in there...

And, yeah, I also think the chances of a bot hiding should be reduced. It's not fair when you wanna use an awesome kill but can't as they're simply hiding. But, sometimes, I just wait for them to come out. It does waste a lot of time though...

1 hour ago, King Penguin said:

I also think the chances of a bot hiding should be reduced. It's not fair when you wanna use an awesome kill but can't as they're simply hiding.

What I've been doing is I've been drawing them out of hiding spots, unless they hide right as I'm walking up to them.

If I'm breaking down a door and I know they hid, I'll finish the door, back off the cabin and hit stalk. I'll wait til the house turns red again, then shift through the door or try to shift grab them if they go out a window.

Or, if there's still a lot bots alive, I'll let them hide, scan the woods for pings and morph away to someone else. I'd go back to them later. It works and most of the time I might end up only getting one Seek & Destroyed kill per round, if any.  And it doesn't feel like I'm weaken the experience by having to impose an extra challenge. It ends up feeling more like something you might see in the movies. 

Using :JasonPt7: Jason 7 helps to keep the experience more consistently challenging. But no matter what Jason you use, they can keep you pretty busy; lots of trap breaking, fixing and stunning, from time to time. On average, multiplayer is not all that much better, in terms of consistent challenge. Bots might not reach the heights of online, but they're no worse than a lot of human lobbies. 

I still haven't seen them go into an outhouse or a tent. I've even grabbed them and walked them over, and let them break out, and they never go in. They will do that with beds and cabinets though. 

• Like 1

I'm digging the bots. They make me work harder than expected sometimes which is nice. My biggest issue with them was Tommy would spawn at one of the camp fires 100% of the time and not move. I would be staring him down and he'd just stand there. If I grabbed him, he'd use his pocket knife but wouldn't run. That only happened the first few times, though. Now he's a productive member of the team.

• Like 1