Okay I’ve been noticing a lot of people complaining in regards to the amount of pocketknives available to counselors( Which is understandable considering Jason’s recent nerfs) I’ve also noticed on discord and here on the forums a desire to buff high luck characters such as Jenny or Chad. Mostly because luck is seen as useless. So I thought of a new(ish) mechanic that will make both high luck characters a more attractive choice while also forcing players to choose the use of their pocketknives wisely.

I’m not exactly sure how many pocketknives are in game but if I were to estimate I’d say 8. Instead of having 8 pocketknives available to counselors the number should be split in half. The missing knives should be replaced with switch blades.

For this mechanic to work switch blades would act as regular pocketknives, meaning you could escape Jason’s grab and disarm traps; However this will be based on luck. Meaning if you try to disarm a trap as Aj with a 1 luck there’s a large chance you might get trapped in doing so. On the flip side someone like Chad would have a significantly higher chance in disarming a trap withought getting caught. These same rules apply to getting grabbed by Jason.

I think something along these lines can make luck build characters a more viable option. An addition like this could also up the tension and not make players so rely so much on a pocketknife.

• Like 1

I think switching the standard pocket knife trap disarm mechanic to a QTE with a LUCK based skill check could be cool. If you fail a skill check the QTE closes and you tank the trap. The upside is Jenny, Chad, Vanessa, Eric and Kenny get some added teamplay value. The downside is removing traps with pocket knives becomes very difficult for rest the cast. 

43 minutes ago, Impactedmedal38 said:

I’m not exactly sure how many pocketknives are in game but if I were to estimate I’d say 8. Instead of having 8 pocketknives available to counselors the number should be split in half. The missing knives should be replaced with switch blades.

the update really added 4 more knives? 

wtf are the devs smoking

I don’t think that pocket knives would be much of an issue if Jason worked right. I’d rather see Jason’s issues addressed and then decide if there are balance problems.

I think that not being able to hit or grab a character right next to you (esp. in a limping state) has made the counselor buffs seem much more “powerful” then they really are.

It is hard to fix balance when parts just do not work.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Impactedmedal38 said:

I’ve also noticed on discord and here on the forums a desire to buff high luck characters such as Jenny or Chad. Mostly because luck is seen as useless. So I thought of a new(ish) mechanic that will make both high luck characters a more attractive choice while also forcing players to choose the use of their pocketknives wisely.

Who is saying Luck is useless? I'm reading some crazy things on this forum lately. Luck is one of the best stats purely because it manages weapon durability. The higher your Luck = the longer you can fight Jason before your weapon breaks = the longer you can maintain stamina from hits on Jason. It's a highly valuable stat.

The only reason Jenny specifically isn't a top pick is because of her weak mobility. Chad on the other hand has 10 Luck and 9 speed which makes him perfect for combat, and is already one of the best counselors (Vanessa being the other). So whatever posts you're reading by people who are complaining about the Luck stat itself - they have no idea what they're talking about.

2 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

Who is saying Luck is useless? I'm reading some crazy things on this forum lately. Luck is one of the best stats purely because it manages weapon durability. The higher your Luck = the longer you can fight Jason before your weapon breaks = the longer you can maintain stamina from hits on Jason. It's a highly valuable stat.

The only reason Jenny specifically isn't a top pick is because of her weak mobility. Chad on the other hand has 10 Luck and 9 speed which makes him perfect for combat, and is already one of the best counselors (Vanessa being the other). So whatever posts you're reading by people who are complaining about the Luck stat itself - they have no idea what they're talking about.

While I agree luck isn’t completely useless given your aforementioned reasons. I wouldn’t say it’s the worst or best stat. While yes its nice to have the few extra hits on a weapon it might as well be useless if your facing against a fairly competent Jason. Especially since combat is all wonky on both Jason and the counselor sides.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Impactedmedal38 said:

While I agree luck isn’t completely useless given your aforementioned reasons. I wouldn’t say it’s the worst or best stat. While yes its nice to have the few extra hits on a weapon it might as well be useless if your facing against a fairly competent Jason. Especially since combat is all wonky on both Jason and the counselor sides.

Very true.

Weapon durability is pretty low on the totem pole unless you're up against a lousy Jason. A good Jason player will block/dodge attacks and negate your weapon completely.

4 hours ago, gyaaft said:

I think switching the standard pocket knife trap disarm mechanic to a QTE with a LUCK based skill check could be cool. If you fail a skill check the QTE closes and you tank the trap. The upside is Jenny, Chad, Vanessa, Eric and Kenny get some added teamplay value. The downside is removing traps with pocket knives becomes very difficult for rest the cast. 

I like this idea. It gives luck a repair like use for traps and makes the game more intense.

But, luck is far from a useless stat already. Weapon durability alone is semi crucial in this game, as is taking less damage from things like broken windows.

I like the luck based minigame idea but seriously pocket knives are not a problem at all same as fireworks if I'm Jason I walk right into them and take it rather than stand there like a 🍋 getting stamina back

I'd rather have them use it up right away

3 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

Very true.

Weapon durability is pretty low on the totem pole unless you're up against a lousy Jason. A good Jason player will block/dodge attacks and negate your weapon completely.

Are you serious? This argument doesn't hold water. I could reverse it just the same and say any competent counselor will make Jason whiff his attacks and punish them. If you want to take it that far you might as well say that Jason's grab negates any counselor attacks at all, in theory. In practice, it simply comes down to skill, and that's what decides the outcome of good Jason vs good counselor in combat. I will also mention that no Jason player should be relying on block right now due to the combat stance bug which randomly delays execution of attack after block. Hits on Jason are also best done when he is not anticipating them, and does not have the chance to defend/counter. This is because Jason's start-up frames are faster than counselors, so he will always win in a direct exchange of attacks.

Back to Luck - it is literally the ability to maintain combat, and how fast your weapon breaks in any given situation. Combat is extremely important in this game and by being proficient at it, you are able to handle anything the game throws at you providing you have the ability to defend yourself. Whether it's contesting objectives in group combat, or fending off Jason 1v1. The difference between 2 Baseball bat hits and 5, for example, is a big one with real impacts. 

Saying weapon durability is low on the totem pole completely ignores the way the game has actually progressed. This is something I would've expected to read 6 months ago, not now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

Are you serious? This argument doesn't hold water. I could reverse it just the same and say any competent counselor will make Jason whiff his attacks and punish them. If you want to take it that far you might as well say that Jason's grab negates any counselor attacks at all, in theory. In practice, it simply comes down to skill, and that's what decides the outcome of good Jason vs good counselor in combat. I will also mention that no Jason player should be relying on block right now due to the combat stance bug which randomly delays execution of attack after block. Hits on Jason are also best done when he is not anticipating them, and does not have the chance to defend/counter. This is because Jason's start-up frames are faster than counselors, so he will always win in a direct exchange of attacks.

Back to Luck - it is literally the ability to maintain combat, and how fast your weapon breaks in any given situation. Combat is extremely important in this game and by being proficient at it, you are able to handle anything the game throws at you providing you have the ability to defend yourself. Whether it's contesting objectives in group combat, or fending off Jason 1v1. The difference between 2 Baseball bat hits and 5, for example, is a big one with real impacts. 

Saying weapon durability is low on the totem pole completely ignores the way the game has actually progressed. This is something I would've expected to read 6 months ago, not now.

Luck also has a major impact on how long you can kite Jason in and out of broken windows. Luck also affects car starting times by quite a bit. It also used to affect trap damage as well. Luck is still one of the most important stats along with stam and speed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jawbone said:

Luck also has a major impact on how long you can kite Jason in and out of broken windows. Luck also affects car starting times by quite a bit. It also used to affect trap damage as well. Luck is still one of the most important stats along with stam and speed.

Agreed. Given that hits on Jason = stamina gain (approx. 50% of stamina bar per hit), Luck indirectly affects mobility which is necessary for agility in combat, for kiting and for evading Shift. The car start time is also a factor, which can make a big difference on whether you escape in time or not.

47 minutes ago, Jawbone said:

While luck affects these things the difference isn’t significant enough to proclaim luck as the most important stat. Granted a lot of these things overall can make a difference. The problem is that a lot of those things are circumstantial. Players aren’t necessarily going to have the opportunity to utilize those advantages.

2 minutes ago, UntilDawna said:

There is no pocket knife problem, just salty players who want playing as Jason to be a complete cakewalk. 

FINALLY SOMEONE SAID IT. Thank you.

You-are-Awesome-GIF-Image-for-Whatsapp-a

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, UntilDawna said:

There is no pocket knife problem, just salty players who want playing as Jason to be a complete cakewalk. 

While some people complaining just suck as Jason. No counselor should ever feel confident facing Jason ever. While there isn’t a pocketknife problem per se, you have to acknowledge the fact amount of knives available coupled with Jason’s nerfs nearly make him an invalid.

4 minutes ago, Impactedmedal38 said:

While some people complaining just suck as Jason. No counselor should ever feel confident facing Jason ever. While there isn’t a pocketknife problem per se, you have to acknowledge the fact amount of knives available coupled with Jason’s nerfs nearly make him an invalid.

Then it's Jason who needs work, not the pocket knives. Nerfing other aspects to accommodate an underwhelming Jason state is not the right route to go imo. Even then I don't believe Jason is as crappy as people make him out to be, other than his questionable grab nerf(Which i admit needed fixed but they over did it) I have no problems with Jason and I'm not even anything special when it comes to playing as him but I do just fine. He just needs a little tweaking. 

• Like 2

Just now, UntilDawna said:

Then it's Jason who needs work, not the pocket knives. Nerfing other aspects to accommodate an underwhelming Jason state is not the right route to go imo. Even then I don't believe Jason is as crappy as people make him out to be, other than his questionable grab nerf(Which i admit needed fixed but they over did it) I have no problems with Jason and I'm not even anything special when it comes to playing as him but I do just fine. He just needs a little tweaking. 

You do make a valid point in regards to nerfing other aspects to accommodate Jason. But Jason needs far more than a simple tweak here and there. While his grab “nerf” was needed(it was ridiculous seeing him grab counselors from 5 feet away lol) Playing with Jason takes far more skill than necessary now. Jason hitboxes are broken, his combat stance is broken, his inability to hurt counselors going through windows is self-explanatory. I’ve faced against people who were great as Jason pre-patch. Now if they’re  against a group of barely competent counselors the stand no chance. Killing Jason has become a commonplace. This isn’t coming from me because I suck as Jason but because being a counselor is too easy and isn’t as rewarding.

17 minutes ago, UntilDawna said:

You're the hero we needed, but don't deserve. Let's buff Jason, and not kill counselors. Pocket knifes were never an issue. The issue is that Jason players want an easy win, they were so used to grabbing counselors across the map, that instead of getting better they instead complain. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Impactedmedal38 said:

You do make a valid point in regards to nerfing other aspects to accommodate Jason. But Jason needs far more than a simple tweak here and there. While his grab “nerf” was needed(it was ridiculous seeing him grab counselors from 5 feet away lol) Playing with Jason takes far more skill than necessary now. Jason hitboxes are broken, his combat stance is broken, his inability to hurt counselors going through windows is self-explanatory. I’ve faced against people who were great as Jason pre-patch. Now if they’re  against a group of barely competent counselors the stand no chance. Killing Jason has become a commonplace. This isn’t coming from me because I suck as Jason but because being a counselor is too easy and isn’t as rewarding.

Such a relief to find someone civil to talk with, too many people resort to attacking others opinions immediately, so thank you. I Don't get to play as Jason all that often so I can really only comment on what I have experienced and witnessed firsthand. Personally never realized his combat stance was broken, but how could I forget ht detection! Which seems to be a problem for both Jason and the counselors. I also have not seen the the window issue until you just pointed it out, so it's not just me messing up? You really can't hurt a counselor with a weapon swing anymore? On a side note I was grabbed by Jason last night mid jumping through a window, fun times. I stand by my belief that Jason is not in his best state right now, and also that he isn't as awful as he's made out to be. A lot of players (not referring to you) just come across as ff they want absolutely no challenge when playing as Jason and will never be satisfied even after the issues we covered are fixed.

1 hour ago, Impactedmedal38 said:

While luck affects these things the difference isn’t significant enough to proclaim luck as the most important stat. Granted a lot of these things overall can make a difference. The problem is that a lot of those things are circumstantial. Players aren’t necessarily going to have the opportunity to utilize those advantages.

Stamina,Speed, and Luck are the only stats that are in constant use throughout the game.

Strength is pointless unless you are trying to kill Jason and even then once he is de-masked its entire value is gone

Stealth is useless because its completely RNG dependent and usually means you actively avoid objectives. If someone else has Jasons attention then it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 10 stealth because he isn't looking for you. Also sense spam.

Composure also doesn't really matter as its biggest debuff is loss of the minimap which can be completely countered with one perk if you find it that much of a detriment.

Repair also has limited use as well. If you push objectives together then it doesn't matter what your repair is because Jason can't be in two places at once. 5 or 6 repair is the max you need to be able to repair in a combat situation on the phone and once everything is repaired it becomes a useless stat.

5 minutes ago, TiffanyIsBae said:

You're the hero we needed, but don't deserve. Let's buff Jason, and not kill counselors. Pocket knifes were never an issue. The issue is that Jason players want an easy win, they were so used to grabbing counselors across the map, that instead of getting better they instead complain. 

Preach. I have been critical of the devs before, but on REAL issues. The pocket knives are non-issue that's only a 'thing' because some players want very little to no challenge at all when playing Jason. In the movies he's a killing machine, so they just want to KILL! KILL! KILL!. I get it... but this isn't a movie this is a multiplayer game that has to be FUN and at least somewhat CHALLENGING for either role you're playing. Jason is always going to be a slightly OP character and that is perfectly fine and I wouldn't expect anything less than, as long as it challenges the counselors without making the task of surviving or escaping impossible. Shifting the balance too far on either side is absurd, this game has it's issues for sure but pocket knives are not one of them. 

1 hour ago, UntilDawna said:

Such a relief to find someone civil to talk with, too many people resort to attacking others opinions immediately, so thank you. I Don't get to play as Jason all that often so I can really only comment on what I have experienced and witnessed firsthand. Personally never realized his combat stance was broken, but how could I forget ht detection! Which seems to be a problem for both Jason and the counselors. I also have not seen the the window issue until you just pointed it out, so it's not just me messing up? You really can't hurt a counselor with a weapon swing anymore? On a side note I was grabbed by Jason last night mid jumping through a window, fun times. I stand by my belief that Jason is not in his best state right now, and also that he isn't as awful as he's made out to be. A lot of players (not referring to you) just come across as ff they want absolutely no challenge when playing as Jason and will never be satisfied even after the issues we covered are fixed.

Agreed lol. He’s combat stance has always been a bit off it’s just that now that his hit box detection is awful it’s become more apparent. I also see you noticed the window issue. It really breaks the momentum when your chasing a counselor to then wait calmly as they climb in a window. I couldn’t agree more that some people use Jason’s nerfs as an excuse. Jason obviously should take some effort playing but he shouldn’t look like a  oaf either. Regardless It’s still very possible to dominate as Jason it’s just a lot more difficult.