TomDice

Who else loves being stunned through unbroken doors

While playing as Jason, there is nothing like getting stunned by someone with a bat through an unbroken door. Also, what’s everyone favorite Jason trap schemes? 

UNBROKEN door, yeah it's annoying. Partially broken door, I'd be ok with it. They need to code destructible doors/walls to act like cabin walls in which damage does not transfer through them.

In the october patch it seems Jason got a "rebound" animation where if he hits an indestructible object like the car his weapon will bounce off. They could code that into the counselors so their weapons will bounce off undamaged pieces of the environment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Considering its only longer weapons that can hit you, it doesnt bother me. Just dont use the prompt animations and youre golden. Combat stancing doors isnt what it use to be, but it still somewhat works if you have the spacing down.

I noticed this a lot lately and also being stunned through windows. I wouldn’t mind it as much if Jason could do the same.

19 minutes ago, ThePunkPirate said:

Considering its only longer weapons that can hit you, it doesnt bother me. Just dont use the prompt animations and youre golden. Combat stancing doors isnt what it use to be, but it still somewhat works if you have the spacing down.

This is what I've been telling people for so long, yet somehow many players don't realise that not only is it avoidable through use of combat stance but Jason can damage the counselor just the same. It's called door combat for a reason, both sides can engage in it.

The only thing I will mention is that it's not limited to only long range weapons, though they are the easiest to do it with. It can be done even with a wrench but the timing is a little different. 

• Like 2

Regarding traps, I enjoy placing a trap outside the Higgins House in a way that if they think they can escape via the second story window because they have a spray they have another thing coming. ;)

• Haha 1

A solid object should not clip through and magically phase through an unbroken door and window to stun Jason. If people continue to use that to stun Jason before he can damage the door, it's exploiting.

Also have been in combat stance as Jason on a broken door and still get stunned.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Redcat345 said:

A solid object should not clip through and magically phase through an unbroken door and window to stun Jason. If people continue to use that to stun Jason before he can damage the door, it's exploiting.

It's not an exploit, this is the way the game works. Counselors and Jason are no different in being able to attack through doors, the only difference is counselors cannot damage doors unlike Jason. Otherwise both their hitboxes are just as vulnerable in this situation.

Execution of this tactic is also no different to a regular attack, it is purely based on timing and spacing. It wouldn't bother me if door combat was taken out but calling it an exploit is far fetched. The fact that it's unrealistic is a different topic.

53 minutes ago, Redcat345 said:

Also have been in combat stance as Jason on a broken door and still get stunned.

Yes because simply being in combat stance doesn't mean you won't get stunned. Combat stance simply gives you control over spacing, timing and angle of attack. How effectively you use that will determine your success, although honestly it shouldn't be difficult to at least safely break down a door in it, even if you're not aiming to damage the counselor.

I completely disagree because a bat should not magically phase through an unbroken door/window in order to hit Jason, it's an exploit in the same logic when counselors could get on rocks but Jason could not, it's one way for the counselors hitting through that makes it unfair. Knowing using this to stun Jason is exploiting.

The bat needs to bounce off an unbroken door and window, not phase through it and stun Jason because counselors do not possess supernatural powers that Jason has needed to break through.

13 minutes ago, Redcat345 said:

I completely disagree because a bat should not magically phase through an unbroken door/window in order to hit Jason, it's an exploit in the same logic when counselors could get on rocks but Jason could not, it's one way for the counselors hitting through that makes it unfair. Knowing using this to stun Jason is exploiting.

The bat needs to bounce off an unbroken door and window, not phase through it and stun Jason because counselors do not possess supernatural powers that Jason has needed to break through.

I Can see a bat, or other melee weapon definitely breaking a window, [they would IRL.]

This would actually be  a cool feature in game. It could serve as a double edged sword

for Counselors, If they break the window and have to pass through it the broken window

will damage them. 

3 minutes ago, Erik13E said:

I Can see a bat, or other melee weapon definitely breaking a window, [they would IRL.]

This would actually be  a cool feature in game. It could serve as a double edged sword

for Counselors, If they break the window and have to pass through it the broken window

will damage them. 

That I can agree with, but I am talking about how a weapon will magically phase through and hit Jason like the Flash vibrating through a wall without breaking the door or window.

Just now, Redcat345 said:

That I can agree with, but I am talking about how a weapon will magically phase through and hit Jason Luke the Flash vibrating through a wall without breaking the door or window.

I GOTCHA, I don't agree with that. I've had that happen alot when playing, I know its not supposed to happen, hopefully they'll fix it asap 

Oh you can do that? Neat, I'll try and hit Jason through an unbroken door next time. I thought you could only hit through partially broken doors.

Unbroken or partially broken doors, either way it should be removed. The hitboxes need serious reworking for both Jason & counselors.

• Like 1

Yeah it happens way too often and counsellors abuse the hell out of it. Too bad Jason being locked in an animation can do nothing to avoid it.

25 minutes ago, Thaznar said:

Yeah it happens way too often and counsellors abuse the hell out of it. Too bad Jason being locked in an animation can do nothing to avoid it.

But he can. Jason can avoid this by using combat stance attacks. For Part 6 or Savini, all Jason has to do is use the poke attack from a distance. Move forward for each thrust and then move back during recovery. The distance is far enough that the chance to get stunned is far less compared to the other Jasons. For every other Jason, go into combat stance and use horizontal swings by lightly tapping the attack button. DO NOT USE VERTICAL ONES. The horizontal swings are much quicker on start-up and recover fast. Stand to the left corner of the door and let the swings connect.

The trick is to not have a set rhythm when breaking the door. Make it staggered if you are being attacked. Wait for the counselor to whiff a swing and then attack. Walk up to the door and block an attack or two before the door is even broken. That might make the counselor change his or her mind about attacking you through the door.

Edit: If the counselor is being overly aggressive, make sure you are always blocking after a swing. Even though there is a slight delay between lifting Jason's arm to activate the block, it may just save you from a stun.

Edited by BomberBuddy
Addition.

Yup I've always hated this door bullshit. I've had counselors stun me through doors and I've also had Jason's clip through the door in combat stance and hit me while the door was closed. I think this door combat stance breakdown should be completely removed and they should add a barrier that doesn't allow any weapons go through. The only way to remove that barrier is if Jason chops down the door completely the regular way or if the door is opened. 

• Thanks 1

Honestly, I think it's retarded that we have an animation specifically for breaking doors down, but using it makes you a sitting duck for whoever is on the other side of the door.

1 hour ago, BeepBeepRichie said:

Yup I've always hated this door bullshit. I've had counselors stun me through doors and I've also had Jason's clip through the door in combat stance and hit me while the door was closed. I think this door combat stance breakdown should be completely removed and they should add a barrier that doesn't allow any weapons go through. The only way to remove that barrier is if Jason chops down the door completely the regular way or if the door is opened. 

No. This is how we ended up with the dumb force fields around windows. The fact of the matter is yes its unfortunate that theres no separate hitbox for a broken and unbroken door but thats just how things go with programming a piece of destroyable environment. With limited resources and memory, it would be a pain to make two separate conditions for all of the doors on the map like that.

Also, as much as it sucks when it happens to you, the fact it that it takes skill to time the swings for BOTH parties. If someone was swinging an ax at a door and the blade was going through the existing hole, how does it not make sense that it would hit you if you were too close? 

Bottom line is that there are measures and steps to take to avoid an undesirable outcome in either situation.

Hate to borrow a line from SoulsBorne but people need to "Git Gud" and learn the little mechanics that can be used instead of instantly crying or wanting their hand held.

13 minutes ago, ThePunkPirate said:

Right, except Jason's whole body clips through when he goes into combat stance. This is different than the force field around windows, because the point of that was to make breaking windows easier. If what happened with the windows happened here, that would be perfect. The point is, I don't want Jason causing damage through doors or counselors stunning through them. Combat stancing doors gives counselors no way out. The point of the door breaking animation was to give counselors a chance to stun Jason. 

And no, it doesn't take much skill. Jason can literally break down the doors and block with no chance of punishment for him. They've said they're looking into the problem but that was a loooong time ago.