TheFinalGay

The 11 counselors - Speculation

I honestly think we will get a New Wave Girl ala Violet.

• Like 2

Why would naming the counselors destroy immersion?? If anything it will make you more attached to the counselor.

no it doesn't.   the counselor should represent the player, not "theirself", and in order for the player and counselor to be one, it's better to not give the counselor some premade name nor preset identity.   You can't be "attached" to a counselor at the level of true immersion if the counselor has their own premade identity.    Yes this game doesn't have first person, but even in third person,  it's more immersive and player is more connected to that body if that body doesn't have a premade name/identity.

openness allows more creativity and more open to different levels of connection with the counselor players want to play as. 

the counselors represent a type/category of human. 

beyond that it's up to the player to imagine what the counselor is to them.

and it leaves things open for RP players as well.

in my opinion, not naming the counselors is better.  and it would be cool if we can name ourself like in Bloodborne (and can display chosen name instead of PSN ID), though chances are our name displayed will be our PSN ID, but at least that's in some ways better than some premade name.

Also, players can choose the same counselor, so more reason to leave the counselors nameless, so they feel less like clones and more like a "generalized" category of person. 

it's totally possible for there to be multiple jocks with different names, it's totally possible for there to be multiple flirty girls with different names.   Freedom and openness would make this game a lot better. 

and a lot of players prefer player creation/character creation, instead of premade characters. So leaving them nameless, at least lets the counselors feel like player identity selection to a greater degree.

DBD has Meg Thomas, and look how popular SHE has gotten

popularity is worthless without unity between player and character.  

A lot of people that care about immersion, would rather have Meg Thomas nameless, than having some Meg Thomas identity slapped on.

preset names are for those that can't think for themselves.    

survival horror characters shouldn't be celebrities, they should represent a physical identity from the selection that the player chooses to be.   

take mmorpgs for example, some of the more immersive games there are, or even games like ARK, there's no premade names

characters, players develop their own identity and name.

yes F13th The Game doesn't have character creation.  but the counselor selection is still player creation in the sense, especially

having nameless counselor types that allows players to craft their own identity in that world from the category of human they choose to be.

if these counselors get names, I'll just ignore those names and invent my own, but this game can be more timeless, customizable, and open not forcing some preset identity or backstory to the counselors.  

Players are imaginative and creative enough to craft their own preferred identity and style.

• Like 2

Also, players can choose the same counselor, so more reason to leave the counselors nameless, so they feel less like clones and more like a "generalized" category of person. 

it's totally possible for there to be multiple jocks with different names, it's totally possible for there to be multiple flirty girls with different names.   Freedom and openness would make this game a lot better. 

if these counselors get names, I'll just ignore those names and invent my own, but this game can be more timeless, customizable, and open not forcing some preset identity or backstory to the counselors.  

Two amazing points I hadn't even thought of! Nice contribution :)

• Like 1

I was hoping that each counselor stereotype would come with different outfits and that includes different looks -- different hair color, even maybe a different gender to choose from, so that we can have a 'preppy girl' too. That's the main reason why I don't care for giving names to the counselors. I really do hope to see a wide variety of cosmetics/costumes for the counselors, so it isn't too weird to see multiples of the same type running around.

• Like 1

I was hoping that each counselor stereotype would come with different outfits and that includes different looks -- different hair color, even maybe a different gender to choose from, so that we can have a 'preppy girl' too. That's the main reason why I don't care for giving names to the counselors. I really do hope to see a wide variety of cosmetics/costumes for the counselors, so it isn't too weird to see multiples of the same type running around.

Well the developers are already exceeding expectations with what looks to be at least 11 playable counselors at launch.

yes it would be nice to have alternate sex option for each type, kind of like how Diablo III does for each character class,

and different hairstyles/skins for each type so even same type counselors can look like totally different people.

so far, we know that it looks like there will be at least clothes customization for each counselor, so that is a plus and can make same counselors feel like different people, though having hairstyle change option would make them seem more different as well, even if the face is the same. 

but I accept clones, instead of limiting players choices.  so whether same counselors look the same or different, I will still acknowledge each player as their own unique person.  We have yet to see all 11 counselors, and the amount of costume customization there is and how it looks, so there's still more to uncover.

at least we have much more playable choices than a lot of other games.    And the model designs are looking really cool and charismatic, with even better designs and unique clothes than the NES Friday the 13th counselors (which are awesome too, it would be nice adding them as DLC for nostalgia and stuff, but I don't know who has the rights to those sprite/character designs from the NES game. seeing them with next gen graphics with this game's engine would be outstanding )

well the more the merrier.  I'm so hyped with the 7 counselors vs Jason design.  there's a level of potential camraderie there that surpasses even Castlevania Harmony of Despair 6 players co op.   7 players co op vs a player Jason in a open world style procedural generated map, really is genius structure!!