Jump to content
ShiftySamurai

Balance Updates in the Upcoming Patch - 12.07.2017

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

You’re saying, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that changing how many items spawn, and their potential spawn location, is either

A. Useless, even though it will spread out items.

B. Stupid, because it adds more items, or

C. Terrible, as it removes some items. 

 

That’s the definition of a no-win situation for a change that could make campsites worth checking out. 

 

@bewareofbears - not trying to call you out for anything, just wanting to manage expectations for the future. 

I think it's great that you managed to chime in to criticize a customers post while not answering any questions that have been asked. A+ dude.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CryptM said:

Just to be clear, Shiftysamurai, you're saying that there's going to be an increase in items overall on each map after this update? 

As I understand it there may be a slight increase, I’ll get clarification on this tomorrow. 

28 minutes ago, andtodayidied said:

I think it's great that you managed to chime in to criticize a customers post while not answering any questions that have been asked. A+ dude.

I answered what I could from home, and we’ll have more information coming soon. I wasn’t criticizing, I was asking a forum user if I understood correctly that any change to Medical Sprays and Pocket Knife spawn locations and numbers is negative in their opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's wait tomorrow for clarifications guys. Let workers enjoy their well deserved weekend.

I don't think they're going to increase the total number sprays and pocket knives. If there will be even more defensive item then I will be done. For real. But I think the total number would be the same. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha!

For Shifty's sake, I hope he has some experience in psychology and abnormal psychology. Either way, he's getting it now.

The next member of the staff to be hired should be a head nurse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2017 at 4:34 PM, ShiftySamurai said:

Hey counselors and slashers, as Courier said last week, the next update for Friday the 13th: The Game is more focused on bug fixes and content than balance, but there will be some differences that will change how you play.

We have added item spawn locations to campsites. This means that you could find a Pocket Knife or Medical Spray amongst the tents. Still on the topic of defensive items, a Medical Spray dropped by a player using the Medic perk will no longer have additional uses if a counselor without the Medic Perk equipped picks the item up.

We have altered the spawn parameters of the fuse required to fix the phone box. At times the fuse would spawn too close to the objective, allowing for extremely quick fixes of the phone. The fuse will no longer spawn in the same building as the phone box.

The last of the balance updates is a reduced effective range of the Heavy Hitter perk. The previous value range increased Jason stun time by 10% to 40%. These range values have been decreased to 5% and 15%. You’re still knocking Jason flat for long enough to begin your escape, but the stun duration will be far shorter.

We will have more information on the update, including patch notes, more in-depth looks at new features, and a release date, in the coming days.

So...no adjustments to Jason's grab or the hit detection of his melee attack at all in this update? This are probably the issues that people have complained the most about regarding the previous update.  :(

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

You’re saying, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that changing how many items spawn, and their potential spawn location, is either

A. Useless, even though it will spread out items.

B. Stupid, because it adds more items, or

C. Terrible, as it removes some items. 

 

That’s the definition of a no-win situation for a change that could make campsites worth checking out. 

 

@bewareofbears - not trying to call you out for anything, just wanting to manage expectations for the future. 

Yes you're correct because, honestly, no one want this kind of change.

IF the total amount of item remain the same across the map, as other have said as well, you will then have more empty drawers in the houses, making the experiences terrible boring. If you're going to increase the number of pocket knife on the map .. well.. that will be just awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What? So the whole idea about giving some meaning to campsites is maybe find a pocketknife or medspray there trying to tease a counselor to go outside in the opening thus giving Jason an easier target? Fine, just bring a friend together or even the whole gang and keep the alternating grab-stun turns on poor Jason with his failed hit detection swings.

You gotta be kidding they will add more defensive items for counselors. Now we really need a instant-kill-piercing harpoon for Jason more than never.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sid77 said:

What? So the whole idea about giving some meaning to campsites is maybe find a pocketknife or medspray there trying to tease a counselor to go outside in the opening thus giving Jason an easier target? Fine, just bring a friend together or even the whole gang and keep the alternating grab-stun turns on poor Jason with his failed hit detection swings.

You gotta be kidding they will add more defensive items for counselors. Now we really need a instant-kill-piercing harpoon for Jason more than never.

That's what they want!!!! Instead of a whole group of people hitting Jason and fighting him, they can split off for Jason to have his eyes on one and potentially kill them. It makes it easier for Jason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TiffanyCox said:

That's what they want!!!! Instead of a whole group of people hitting Jason and fighting him, they can split off for Jason to have his eyes on one and potentially kill them. It makes it easier for Jason.

Why would you split off from the gang if Jason is getting his ass kicked by 5-6 teenagers altogether? Nope. It will not make any difference from now if they don't work on something to buff Jason against being ganged upon. 

I am part of a group of 101's and we play daily since launch. Nowadays we have a rule set that players cannot all gang up in the beginning of the match, or it becomes unplayable for any Jason player. The scenario we try to avoid is for example, right after the intro all counselors meet up at Packanack lodge, meanwhile probably Jason is doing his stuff (placing traps, breaking generators/doors etc..), when everybody is there they move always as a group  through every objective. In less than 5 minutes Jason has his mask off. Group moves to phone, cars, and his shack. Jason is desperate and beaten up and I don't believe the game was supposed to allow this.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a single separate case. It is easy to pull off even against the best of Jason players when there is a group of experienced players that communicate and play together everyday. There should be a way for Jason to counter this. At least they should fix his hit-detection...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

As I understand it there may be a slight increase, I’ll get clarification on this tomorrow. 

"Slight increase of pocket knife and medical spray" oh my god...

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sid77 said:

Why would you split off from the gang if Jason is getting his ass kicked by 5-6 teenagers altogether? Nope. It will not make any difference from now if they don't work on something to buff Jason against being ganged upon. 

I am part of a group of 101's and we play daily since launch. Nowadays we have a rule set that players cannot all gang up in the beginning of the match, or it becomes unplayable for any Jason player. The scenario we try to avoid is for example, right after the intro all counselors meet up at Packanack lodge, meanwhile probably Jason is doing his stuff (placing traps, breaking generators/doors etc..), when everybody is there they move always as a group  through every objective. In less than 5 minutes Jason has his mask off. Group moves to phone, cars, and his shack. Jason is desperate and beaten up and I don't believe the game was supposed to allow this.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a single separate case. It is easy to pull off even against the best of Jason players when there is a group of experienced players that communicate and play together everyday. There should be a way for Jason to counter this. At least they should fix his hit-detection...

I play with a group of 101's as well. But we don't team up. We make it easier on the Jason and at least give him a chance. The game is not supposed to be ran by counselors. Jason is the man, hes supposed to be working wonders of killing dirty counselors. The game is not that way, and it should be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

what about dedicated servers? You know, to solve the minor problem of >50% of matches ending after Jason kills the host, with no XP earned to boot.

Where have you been?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

You’re saying, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that changing how many items spawn, and their potential spawn location, is either

A. Useless, even though it will spread out items.

B. Stupid, because it adds more items, or

C. Terrible, as it removes some items. 

I'm not the member you were replying to but I will pitch in on this one. I assume you've already read my previous reply but since this is a good way of breaking it down, I'll try to explain it according to those points -

1. Spreading out the same amount of items would be fine if spawns were limited to only campsites around cabins. It wouldn't make a meaningful difference to the game, but there wouldn't be meaningful negatives either. The items would be equally accessible for everyone.

The problem is that certain campsites are not in vicinity to anything, and if RNG decides to prioritise those locations, it would equate to the same as a decrease in items for most counselors with the exception of those with enough speed and stamina to spare, who would take advantage of it to loot them before anyone else if they are motivated to.

2. Increasing overall items would be fine (on the counselor side) if the additional spawns were limited to only remote campsites, which would provide emergency items for any counselor in that area. If they are preemptively looted by fast counselors, it won't disadvantage the rest anymore than they currently are.

The problem is, assuming spawns are purely RNG based, that additional items could spawn mostly or even exclusively in the campsites around cabins. In such a match, that could mean a noticeable increase of the most valuable items in the game which are unequivocally pocket knife and med spray. If you've been keeping track of common complaints, those are the two items that impact Jason the most and many players (if not majority) consider them overabundant already.

3. Decreasing overall items shares a negative with point #1 (spreading out items) which is, simply put, more empty drawers. RNG means it could either result in less items in a cabin that already has enough OR less items in a cabin that has almost nothing to begin with. The problem is compounded if an entire sector is low on item spawns, which already happens, and even more so if a campsite in vicinity also has no spawns. All possible scenarios.

The impact this has on gameplay is that not only does it make looting even more mundane and unrewarding than it already is, but it can also immediately disadvantage players purely based on their spawn with nothing to help them out. And it's not that players would necessarily be against less items, but they would be against even more empty drawers given how badly in need if a change this system is.

I know this is a wall of text, but I hope it's a definitive one on this topic. Lastly -

22 hours ago, ShiftySamurai said:

That’s the definition of a no-win situation for a change that could make campsites worth checking out. 

Yes, it is a no-win situation as long as you guys keep relying heavily on RNG, which is the constant within options A, B and C. That's what will be responsible for the potential problems, otherwise any of those options could work providing items spawns are controlled and distributed in a manner that won't negatively impact gameplay.

On the other hand, if this change is simply introducing a chance to find the odd pocket knife or med spray at a campsite, without any kind of reliability, then what would be the point of the change at all? How would it make campsites more worthwhile to check out? 

Hopefully you read all this, would appreciate a reply if you have the time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

I'm not the member you were replying to but I will pitch in on this one. I assume you've already read my previous reply but since this is a good way of breaking it down, I'll try to explain it according to those points ETC...

And most important, nobody needs this. I mean, we have much higher priorities than items on campsites. Really, who cares about this? Nobody was asking for making campsites more worth visiting. Our issues and concerns are about many things but not that.
IMHO it's a useless effort that could have been dedicated for much more important rebalances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this wait is getting annoying. If only we could AT LEAST receive some patch notes, hello?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm of the mind that you don't have to add items, and that spreading them out is good. 

The fact is once keys and the fuse are found, anything else is icing on the cake. If you want to search for an extra pocketknife, or fireworks, loot drawers. Otherwise once you have a full kit, and are aware that pieces are on the map, you can be more concerned with fixing the objectives and escaping. As it stands now, between the small maps making parts too easy to find, the map showing discarded objective items, medic making damage a nonissue, and Jason being nerfed on top of everything else, I think that adding pocketknives and first aid is a step in the wrong direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...

@ShiftySamurai

Confirmed this will lead to another item spawn. I can't see that being a huge deal in the hands of weaker skilled players, but higher skilled players...

My only hope is Jason is fixed/buffed down the road in the update after the next one, otherwise yeah...leaning tower of cheese really.

I'm curious if any changes to Part 7 will make it in this update? Seems doubtful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GarageNation said:

Where's the update?

I wonder if they even know. They always seem to have issues with certification also so who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I wonder if they even know. They always seem to have issues with certification also so who knows.

They have issues with certification likely because their code is so bad that it keeps getting sent back. As far as I know, cert failures are usually to do with not wanting bad code (crash bugs, network failures, etc) on their networks.

When you consider the amount of bugs that still get through regardless, it makes you wonder what state the original patches were in. It's a huge indictment of their programming team that it's 6 months and in they still can't get things right.

It's like a teacher rejecting your homework and telling you to start from scratch because it was so poorly done. It's embarassing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

They have issues with certification likely because their code is so bad that it keeps getting sent back. As far as I know, cert failures are usually to do with not wanting bad code (crash bugs, network failures, etc) on their networks.

When you consider the amount of bugs that still get through regardless, it makes you wonder what state the original patches were in.

It's like a teacher rejecting your homework and telling you to start from scratch because it was so poorly done. It's embarassing.

This wouldn't surprise me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling this is what's gonna happen...

1. The patch is going to drop around Wednesday or Thursday of the following week, combined with another double XP heading into Christmas weekend, maybe even a longer stretch over both holidays.

2. Once this happens, it will be radio silence from then until after the new year starts, unless they throw in a quick hot fix for breakage

3. We probably won't get any news about what's ahead in this content/bug fix patch until Thursday or Friday this week

That's a cautiously optimistic/slice of pessimism viewpoint because of the holiday and there literally won't be anybody around between xmas and new years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×