ShiftySamurai

Balance Updates in the Upcoming Patch - 12.07.2017

19 hours ago, pioneer67fkd said:

then you're the most unlucky person ever because i have no problem finding 2-3 each round 

But are you one of those people that gets nothing done and leaves all the doors unlocked and open?

On 08/12/2017 at 8:34 AM, ShiftySamurai said:

We have added item spawn locations to campsites. This means that you could find a Pocket Knife or Medical Spray amongst the tents.

Additional spawns or relocated spawns? Either way, both have bad outcomes. 

If relocated -
1. More empty drawers which means the most boring part of the game is now even more boring and frustrating. You can already loot a whole sector of the map and find nothing
2. Potentially less chance for the lobby as a whole to acquire the most valuable items, if RNG decides to prioritise the most random campsites for spawns eg. Crystal Lake north-west, Higgins Haven island, Packanack east. Slow counselors become even more disadvantaged than they already are

If additional -
More pocket knives / med sprays on the map. If you think players are angry now, wait till you see them after this change.

On 08/12/2017 at 8:34 AM, ShiftySamurai said:

We have altered the spawn parameters of the fuse required to fix the phone box. At times the fuse would spawn too close to the objective, allowing for extremely quick fixes of the phone. The fuse will no longer spawn in the same building as the phone box.

The question is though - will the fuse still spawn in the same sector as the phone box?

If the answer is yes, and the fuse is not in the phone cabin, then it must be in the neighbouring cabins - and counselors will now know that without even having to look. So phone box can be rushed even faster than before with one less cabin to search, particularly if the other cabins are smaller / have less drawers.

I don't understand why you wouldn't just simply stop counselors from spawning in the phone box sector? Wouldn't that be the better solution? As it is the highest priority objective, any competent Jason is always going there first no matter what, which always gets new / inexperienced counselors killed while not even being a problem for good players who spawn there.

Anyway, you've probably already read the posts on reddit which say the same thing as here, and which I fully agree with. These are not the changes players are asking for, and will not help resolve the game's issues and most importantly Jason's issues. The number #1 thing players want is a stronger Jason. Now is the time to listen to them, instead of making campsites more meaningful and other changes which I doubt will go the way you guys think.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Madmaxxxxxxx7 said:

But are you one of those people that gets nothing done and leaves all the doors unlocked and open?

nope i barricade before i search any drawer and usually the only one repairing things if its a qp match 

If the item spawns keep counselors from wanting to stay inside cabins for 20 minutes or more so get outside of their comfort zone. I have no issues with it. Gives more incentive for gameplay away from cabins for once.

2 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

If the item spawns keep counselors from wanting to stay inside cabins for 20 minutes or more so get outside of their comfort zone. I have no issues with it. Gives more incentive for gameplay away from cabins for once.

The devs need to take this one step further. Have items, including objective parts, appear in places other than cabins. There was a thread a short while ago talking about giving graveyards the same treatment as the campsites since there's basically no reason to head to any of them except on Higgin's Haven.

IMO, better weapons should also appear on the campsites whereas the cabins get meager ones. More risk (investigating spots that are sometimes very far away from the safety of cabins) = more reward, a staple of gaming everywhere. Get rid of some weapons in the cabins, make them appear on the campsites, etc. So besides objective parts possibly showing up in remote as well as dangerous places, counselors are moving around a lot more. And when campsites as well as graveyards are visited more often, you start to see some of the coolest yet rarest executions get bumped up in popularity:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

The devs need to take this one step further. Have items, including objective parts, appear in places other than cabins. There was a thread a short while ago talking about giving graveyards the same treatment as the campsites since there's basically no reason to head to any of them except on Higgin's Haven.

IMO, better weapons should also appear on the campsites whereas the cabins get meager ones. More risk (investigating spots that are sometimes very far away from the safety of cabins) = more reward, a staple of gaming everywhere. Get rid of some weapons in the cabins, make them appear on the campsites, etc. So besides objective parts possibly showing up in remote as well as dangerous places, counselors are moving around a lot more. And when campsites as well as graveyards are visited more often, you start to see some of the coolest yet rarest executions get bumped up in popularity:

i like your idea sum there should be spawns at graveyards too and maybe sometimes even in the vacinity of shack location 

I'm interested in seeing how risky it's gonna make things, putting more sought after items in remote areas like campsites. 

The graveyard spike kill has always been my favorite environmental.  

The graveyard on Higgins, most of the time, has an ax and med spray. They should just continue like that. Alternate the ax with other high-stun weapons, and alternate the med spray with a pocket knife. And then apply it to the other map's graveyards. 

And PC performance? It's horrible, EPIC settings is brooken and cant have play at minimum 60 fps, drop much. The game have better performance in the release, after august patch its broke.

All that placing vital items in remote areas is going to do is disadvantage slow counselors, as I already mentioned. So instead of finding a much needed pocket knife or spray in a cabin, they will just open yet another empty drawer, of which there are already an abundance of. Meanwhile a Vanessa, Buggzy or Tiffany can easily make their way around and hoard campsite items. 

5 hours ago, tyrant666 said:

This makes no sense. Who is waiting inside cabins for 20 mins other than new players who get killed anyway? There is no comfort zone to get out of, any competent player is already spending a great deal of time outside travelling between objectives and sectors based on what's happening in the match. Campsites will still be the short stop over they are now, as they do not offer any defenses like cabins do to motivate players to stay there for more than the min amount of time.

RNG is again also a factor if for instance the game decides to spawn a couple of pocket knives at the most remote campsite. The island on Higgins for example which is an interchangeable spawn with Jason's Shack. Who else but a mobility-prioritised counselor is going to attempt to visit an area like that? Anyone else is just going to waste a chunk of time in the hope that there might be items there. On the other hand there might not, and they just made the trek for absolutely nothing. It just equates to more boredom in a match.

Campsites already had a purpose if they were en route to your next destination. They served as stamina regen and Fear management locations, and provided the ability to temporarily disappear off the radar for a pre-Rage Jason via tents. That was good enough, and this unnecessary change which relocates valuable items isn't going to work out in the positive way anyone thinks it will. Devs should know better than this.

3 hours ago, i-cold said:

And PC performance? It's horrible, EPIC settings is brooken and cant have play at minimum 60 fps, drop much. The game have better performance in the release, after august patch its broke.

I can't run Epic on every setting without going below 50 fps all the time. I think I would need a 1070 to run full Epic (I have a 1060 now). I bump 3 settings (which I cant remember) down to High and I average 60 - 70fps. With some maps, especially with rain, the game struggles to reach 60. But the frame-dips happen regardless and they can ruin the game. I haven't been in a situation that has caused me any significant problems yet, but I'll get dips that cause the game to freeze for over a second, which is plenty of time to miss something vital, like a means of escape or a grab or attack avoidance. 

They've already mentioned that they're moving the game over to a different version of the Unreal Engine, which should make things more stable. Hopefully, when that's implemented, it'll solve the issue.

1 hour ago, Tommy86 said:

All that placing vital items in remote areas is going to do is disadvantage slow counselors, as I already mentioned. So instead of finding a much needed pocket knife or spray in a cabin, they will just open yet another empty drawer, of which there are already an abundance of. Meanwhile a Vanessa, Buggzy or Tiffany can easily make their way around and hoard campsite items.

So then you buff Jason, so it forces the Buggzy's, Tiffany's and Vanessa's to help the weaker ones so they can fix things, otherwise Jason is gonna slaughter them effortlessly. 

Either way, I think this is gonna be fun times for Jason. 

28 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

So then you buff Jason, so it forces the Buggzy's, Tiffany's and Vanessa's to help the weaker ones so they can fix things, otherwise Jason is gonna slaughter them effortlessly. 

If you're playing with friends / coordinated team, sure. Fast counselors can collect valuable items and share them with others. I already do this with my group. Otherwise, good luck in any random lobbies. No one's going to be helping anyone they don't know. I'm sure as shit not going to waste time going to remote campsites even as Vanessa, because I know can use that time much more effectively elsewhere. So the majority of people looting campsites will be the selfish players who will just do that and little else, and hoard items just as they do now but with less chance of anyone else finding them unless they want to make the trek.

Jason does need buffs, but that's a different topic. Changes like these don't benefit either side, they simply result in more empty drawers and make slow counselors even more disadvantaged than they already are. Jason will still eat about the same amount of pocket knives on a regular basis.

20 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

You can't expect anything from random lobbies regardless.

Let's see. Shifty said the reduction of items in cabins is barely noticeable. 

A meaningful percentage of items would have to be relocated to campsites though, otherwise what would be the point of implementing the change at all? How would it provide more motivation to visit campsites if there's only a small chance of any item spawns there? It would defeat the purpose. 

Right now all we can do is wait and see, but I don't have any confidence in this change being a positive one. If they want to limit the amount of item spawns, then they should just do that and also only provide access to drawers with something in them. Putting an end to the drawer simulator once and for all would be something that actually benefits the game, so any progress towards that would certainly help.

19 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

These are not the changes players are asking for

Agree

Also i'm afraid to see the list of the bug fixes. I'm 100% sure they are going to address only minor bugs 

7 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

I can't run Epic on every setting without going below 50 fps all the time. I think I would need a 1070 to run full Epic (I have a 1060 now). I bump 3 settings (which I cant remember) down to High and I average 60 - 70fps. With some maps, especially with rain, the game struggles to reach 60. But the frame-dips happen regardless and they can ruin the game. I haven't been in a situation that has caused me any significant problems yet, but I'll get dips that cause the game to freeze for over a second, which is plenty of time to miss something vital, like a means of escape or a grab or attack avoidance. 

They've already mentioned that they're moving the game over to a different version of the Unreal Engine, which should make things more stable. Hopefully, when that's implemented, it'll solve the issue.

Either way, I think this is gonna be fun times for Jason. 

I have a GTX 1070@2.1ghz and i cant.... 

On 12/7/2017 at 6:11 PM, MichaelMemers said:

Every single player runs the medic perk, so the only person likely to notice the change is that guy who always dies early and gets Tommy Jarvis.

Sprays are so plentiful and easy to find that I’ve never seen the need to use Medic. It just seems like a wasted perk slot to me. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

@ShiftySamurai

The update is appreciated but I'm wondering why we can't get answers to the questions for clarification?

On weekends I am typically at home with my family after being at the office all week. As for campsite items, there will be items added to campsites and a minor reduction in cabins. As I understand it - and I’ll get clarification tomorrow - this should lead to a slight increase in items on the map as the slight reduction to items in cabin’s will typically be very small.

Please don’t expect major updates - or a lot of communication from me - over the weekend, that could lead to disappointment. 

• Like 1

Community: Why aren't we getting any communication??!!!

ShiftySamurai: Well it IS my day off. I definitely remember posting here as recently as Thursday!

Community: Your game still sucks! I know how to run a development team better than you, because I've played DOZENS of video games, not to mention board games! You guys just need to hire someone who knows where the "fix game" button is. I'd show you where it is, but...I have a...scfghbhfr.... signal's... breaking up...

[Literally everyone dies a little more inside]

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ShiftySamurai said:

On weekends I am typically at home with my family after being at the office all week. As for campsite items, there will be items added to campsites and a minor reduction in cabins. As I understand it - and I’ll get clarification tomorrow - this should lead to a slight increase in items on the map as the slight reduction to items in cabin’s will typically be very small.

Please don’t expect major updates - or a lot of communication from me - over the weekend, that could lead to disappointment. 

IF the total number of items across the map stay the same, then this change is almost useless. IF the total number of item INCREASE then this change is stupid as hell. IF the total number decrease then this is a terribile way to "balance" the game. 

1 hour ago, ShiftySamurai said:

Thanks for the update.

And no, I don't expect updates from you on the weekend. These are questions asked Thursday and Friday, that could have been answered then or tomorrow. Please don't assume I'm under the impression I dictate your schedule. Thanks. ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blinckx said:

IF the total number of items across the map stay the same, then this change is almost useless. IF the total number of item INCREASE then this change is stupid as hell. IF the total number decrease then this is a terribile way to "balance" the game. 

You’re saying, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that changing how many items spawn, and their potential spawn location, is either

A. Useless, even though it will spread out items.

B. Stupid, because it adds more items, or

C. Terrible, as it removes some items. 

That’s the definition of a no-win situation for a change that could make campsites worth checking out. 

@bewareofbears - not trying to call you out for anything, just wanting to manage expectations for the future. 

• Like 1

Personally I have to wonder if there being a slight increase in items will actually matter. I don't think one extra med spray showing up on an extremely reclusive campsite far away from society is going to break things. That being said, if it's just defensive items with no objective items being involved, there still isn't much reason to visit the campsites.

It looks like this change was intended to be a stealth/composure counselor buff, but it would only really benefit the athletic ones who'd use the campsites once the cabins have been sabotaged. That ultimately is a counselor buff since bonfires are one of the hugest sources of fear reduction in the game. If anything, the campsites should just be possible locations of objective parts so there's huge risk in going outside, but defensive items are still mostly located inside cabins.

Now, as for other places like graveyards, I don't mind seeing a rare med spray or pocket knife showing up in those places. No fear reduction elements, typically dead ends, and currently zero reason to visit any of them except the Higgin's Haven version for an axe/med spray.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShiftySamurai said:

You’re saying, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that changing how many items spawn, and their potential spawn location, is either

A. Useless, even though it will spread out items.

B. Stupid, because it adds more items, or

C. Terrible, as it removes some items. 

That’s the definition of a no-win situation for a change that could make campsites worth checking out. 

@bewareofbears - not trying to call you out for anything, just wanting to manage expectations for the future. 

If nothing else, it stretches the map back out. Most players treat campsites as nonexistent. This makes the trip there worth the risk. For Jason, you gain the potential of catching a counselor out in the open, because they swung by a campsite to manage their stamina in hopes of some goodies.