This is an old thread but it shouldn't die! Having a snow map should happen eventually.

After Grendel or a Part 8 themed map, it'd be one of the best ways to break the rule of grass+forest+cabins that we have right now.

Ooh, I love this idea! I've come up with more suggestions to make the playstyle different.

-Fog

-New Moon

-Half moon

-Crescent/any other types of moons that make it appear darker.

-Hail? Maybe?

-Dead/Abandoned/Swampy theme

-A map where there is 75% woods/trees

Dupiclicate topic. Not that I care. I agree with you. But my post just got locked because it’s been discussed before. You can find my OG snow map post under winter wonderland.

This would be great but the devs have explained that they wouldn't be able to do it w/o the game running like total shit, especially for consoles. 

But hey devs, I think I have a solution @[IllFonic]Courier @ShiftySamurai @Gertz @wes

Take the existing maps, tastefully retexture them with snow and ice and such, so it's static and there's no extra processing needed. Make the sky overcast. Make it so it's as bright outside as it is on Crystal Lake now with the moonlight, and maybe give it a little bit of a twilight vibe (and I'm not talking about that stupid movie).

Add a subtle semi-transparent after impression that only lasts long enough to make you feel good about it; that you have an effect on snow. Also make it so some of the textures of the snow are higher than the ground detection so feet can sink into it and maybe add the water sloshing effect. 

Wait, how about making all the snow higher than the ground detection (at different heights of course, because mounds taper off) and add only the sloshing and no impression. I think the sloshing scaled down to ankle size will give enough of an impression that the characters are influencing the snow as they step.

Also I think it would still be effective if a lot of the ground didn't have snow, as to reduce the processing demands for 8 characters generating the sloshing effect. There just needs to be enough to make it feel right. 

Then once all that's in place, bring on the snowfall. I can't imagine that being any more taxing than rain, but what do I know.  Also if the snow falls slow and is spaced out, it would justify not seeing complete snow cover. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FrenchFriedPotaters said:

Ooh, I love this idea! I've come up with more suggestions to make the playstyle different.

-Fog

-New Moon

-Half moon

-Crescent/any other types of moons that make it appear darker.

-Hail? Maybe?

-Dead/Abandoned/Swampy theme

-A map where there is 75% woods/trees

I'd like to see a map where it's ALL woods and you simple have to find the hidden keys to the Rv and make your way to it alive to escape. If that's too easy, maybe the Rv needs repaired and refueled, too. The gas would, of course, be inside the Rv.

Or a map where you're locked inside an old, dilapidated mansion with Jason and you must find three keys to unlock the padlocked chains off the front door. This goes without saying, but the windows would all be boarded up, and there would be no phone line to call for outside help (cops/Jarvis) with. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mawlock said:

I'd like to see a map where it's ALL woods and you simple have to find the hidden keys to the Rv and make your way to it alive to escape. If that's too easy, maybe the Rv needs repaired and refueled, too. The gas would, of course, be inside the Rv.

Or a map where you're locked inside an old, dilapidated mansion with Jason and you must find three keys to unlock the padlocked chains off the front door. This goes without saying, but the windows would all be boarded up, and there would be no phone line to call for outside help (cops/Jarvis) with.

I think a lot of things like this could be done for counselors if there was an AI Jason. Playing as Jason in these scenarios seems like it would either be too easy or too boring. 

But come to think of it....maybe they can make 2 - 4 vs 1 mini missions like this, where both Jason and the counselors have to accumulate things to be effective at their tasks at hand. 

Counselors obviously have to find repair parts , weapons and perks; they shouldn't start with perks. 

Jason has to find weapons and do or find certain things to gain his abilities. Nothing should turn on passively. If Jason has to be active in making himself stronger and more effective, it'll remove the boredom of just walking around looking for people. 

As counselors and as Jason, both don't have to do anything but the basics to be effective, it's just that if they don't, their effectiveness will be very low. That will make it fun for newbs and skilled players. But a good matchmaking algorithm will be essential for it. 

If both Jason and the counselor players are good, then the whole thing should crescendo into violence and blood and tears.  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, WashingtonJones said:

I think a lot of things like this could be done for counselors if there was an AI Jason. Playing as Jason in these scenarios seems like it would either be too easy or too boring. 

But come to think of it....maybe they can make 2 - 4 vs 1 mini missions like this, where both Jason and the counselors have to accumulate things to be effective at their tasks at hand. 

Counselors obviously have to find repair parts , weapons and perks; they shouldn't start with perks. 

Jason has to find weapons and do or find certain things to gain his abilities. Nothing should turn on passively. If Jason has to be active in making himself stronger and more effective, it'll remove the boredom of just walking around looking for people. 

As counselors and as Jason, both don't have to do anything but the basics to be effective, it's just that if they don't, their effectiveness will be very low. That will make it fun for newbs and skilled players. But a good matchmaking algorithm will be essential for it. 

If both Jason and the counselor players are good, then the whole thing should crescendo into violence and blood and tears.  

Truthfully, If I had made the game, every level would have been it's own unique scenario, with each having  their own, fully unique win conditions, instead of just "your-in-some-camp-that-looks-basically-like-all-the-other-camps-and-if-you-put-it-on-random-you'll-have-no-idea-which-one-you're-even-on-complete-with-the-same-lazy-win-conditions."

Examples:

Map: Camp Crystal lake

Gametype: Couselors vs. Jason variant (1 vs. 7 team deathmatch)

Inspiration: original two films

Something very wrong is going on at camp crystal lake. At first, it was just a feeling in your gut. At first, your friends all laughed at you and told you to stop being so silly. At first, you just chalked it up to being Friday the 13th.

But now...now you know better. Now you know that you where right all along. Now you wonder where all your friends have gone.

Now the phone lines have all been cut, and poor little you can't call anyone for help. Now poor little you can't leave, with the vehicles having all been sabotaged.

You feel it in your bones: That campfire tale was more than just a harmless ghost story. HE is out there somewhere...watching and waiting. His name is Jason, and today is his birthday. Your death will make his special day all the more special for him, or so the story says. 

But you can't let that happen. You WON'T let that happen. You're just too young to die. And besides, you don't know for certain that your friends are dead. Who knows? Maybe you can find them and save them before it's too late. Maybe they can save you. And maybe, just maybe, tonight you and your friends can lay the legend of Jason Voorhees to rest for good...maybe 

Map: The Sanitarium

Gametype: paranoia mode variant (counselor free for all)

Alt game type: Battle of the Jasons (Everyone is Jason free for all)

Inspiration: Ending of F13th part V/Jason vs. Jason X comic.

No matter how many times they tell you Jason Voorhees is dead and buried, you just won't believe. No, You CAN'T believe. You KNOW Jason is still alive--still out there, somewhere, just waiting for the right opportunity to finish the job. 

Things didn't use to be so bad for you. It used to be that whenever you thought you saw Jason, if you could close your eyes hard enough, you could make him go away. But not anymore. Now you can't stop seeing him. Jason is everywhere. Jason is everyone. He's Jason. She's Jason. Even YOU are Jason.

The doctors can no longer help you. No one can. It's time to help yourself. It's time to make Jason go away once and for all.

Map: The Cornfield

Game type: Timed survival 

Inspiration: Freddy vs Jason rave scene

It was just suppose to be a fun night. One of the best of your life, in fact. Maybe even THE best. A fun little rave for you and all the kids in town to blow off some steam. And it had been fun...up until that maniac in the hockey mask showed up. Now just about everyone is dead, save for you and friends. 

Sure the cops have been called, but you know how it goes; you've seen your fair share of horror movies. You are so totally boned, right? Then again, amongst your friends, you ALWAYS were the lucky one. Maybe they'll all die, but YOU'LL be alright. The police will come and YOU'LL be saved. End of story, right?

All you have to do is bide your time. But you can do that standing on your head, right? Perhaps you can run and run and run? The man in the mask doesn't look so fast, does he? Or maybe you can find somewhere nice and safe to hole up for a bit. That abandoned barn over yonder with the dead animals nailed to it sure looks enticing.

Oh! What about that scarecrow over there? Maybe if you ask him real nicely, he'll do his best for you...

But anyway, these are just some ideas I have floating around. F13th is a fun game, but it isn't really the multiplayer horror experience we all deserve and crave.

Snow should be easy to add to game. Along with day versions of each map.

I wish we would get custom maps, made by the developers, and a map with a building instead of only cabins.

On 11/26/2017 at 10:38 PM, disco romance said:

Snow has never once appeared in a Friday film, so for me it doesn't make sense to include it.

Bear traps haven't appeared in any of the movies either. Does that keep you up at night too?

17 hours ago, Mawlock said:

Jason would just stay at the RV.

Jason would just stay at the front door.

I just KILLED both of your dreams.

I would love to see the contrast of the blood in the snow

wood-chipper.gif
16d5ed5f627d104f94b7b8e1ddaa4aa1.gif

On 5/21/2018 at 11:26 AM, patsfan89 said:

Bear traps haven't appeared in any of the movies either. Does that keep you up at night too?

Technically, they have (in the reboot.)