Jump to content
tyrant666

"Jason hasn't been nerfed, the Counselors have just gotten better" Do you believe this?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, VenomSymbiote said:

I believe he's saying if Jason is clearly within grab range the grab should not whiff, yet it most certainly does and quite often. 

EXACTLY what I mean. If someone is within th grab radius, then he should never miss. But it happens 8/10 times now! Even if they are literally touching!. Like I said, anyone that says it’s fine now is delusional. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't pretend to know what nerfs or buffs have occurred/may occur with Jason(s) or the counselors, but I'll try to get the info that Randy shared on the stream posted here. I *am* still working on forum themes (not even looked into "likes" yet) but that is in between trying to learn the other systems that I'll be using on a day-to-day basis that are different from my previous gigs. Sorry for the seemingly slow start, but I'll get up to speed as soon as I can!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NickZ3 said:

Fourth Jason's traps need to become a skill check game or wheel game which every you prefer.  With composure being the stat that determines the ease in which you can escape or disarm the trap.  The trap should deal 50% damage when you step in it and every time you miss a skill check 20% more damage, you mess up three times you die in the trap.  If Jason shows up and hits you or throws a throwing knife at you it should knock you out of the trap because if it didn't that would just be some bull.  However, Jason should be able to just grab you out of the trap as well.  While a counselor is stuck in one of these traps whatever win con the trap is protecting should be disabled and cannot be interacted with until the counselor is free or dead.  If you go to disarm the trap same thing skill check but I'd be more strict about this you mess up twice your pocket knife breaks and it's gone, wasted.  There would need to be new sound effect added to alert Jason you are messing with his traps if you miss a skill check, but if you can do it without messing up you're good too go and Jason in none the wiser.  Also the icons on Jason's map need to be white which is the color the phone and power boxes appear as where the cars and the boat are red.  Since Jason's traps appear red on the map it can be difficult to tell what traps are set off when the traps are placed on the cars.  The phone is easy because it's a different color but you really have to look when they're on the cars so just make all the icons white.  Also add a radio tower icon to Jason's map to show where the Tommy house is so if he wants to take Tommy out of the game he can, I'm kinda surprised that's not already a thing.  

 

I love your trap idea because it makes them a threat again which they currently are not. People want to be able to tank them with no repercussions for doing so. They want to easily make them a nonissue. You should be afraid to get near one of his fucking traps, not walking into them like they're nothing. Using your pocket knife to disarm it should be an actual meaningful sacrifice instead of now where it's just "oh i'll use this second knife I found and make this objective clear for escape with little to no effort." 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VenomSymbiote said:

I love your trap idea because it makes them a threat again which they currently are not. People want to be able to tank them with no repercussions for doing so. They want to easily make them a nonissue. You should be afraid to get near one of his fucking traps, not walking into them like they're nothing. Using your pocket knife to disarm it should be an actual meaningful sacrifice instead of now where it's just "oh i'll use this second knife I found and make this objective clear for escape with little to no effort." 

It's more of a threat for a counselor to step in a counselor trap than a Jason trap. "Oh, three traps at the car? I'll just step in them and use my health spray."

"Who the fuck put a trap in this house? I just had to waste a med spray cause I stepped in it."

Yeahhhh that's lopsided in the WRONG direction.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

When you get a chance, post some of your recent matches as Jason in their entirety. Thanks. :)

Thought you disappeared into the night again. I took a bit of a sabbatical myself and came back to more piss and vinegar and a huge dumpster fire. I think gun is showing how to not run a game/business.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, VenomSymbiote said:

I love your trap idea because it makes them a threat again which they currently are not. People want to be able to tank them with no repercussions for doing so. They want to easily make them a nonissue. You should be afraid to get near one of his fucking traps, not walking into them like they're nothing. Using your pocket knife to disarm it should be an actual meaningful sacrifice instead of now where it's just "oh i'll use this second knife I found and make this objective clear for escape with little to no effort." 

I agree on the skill check, but it should be Strength, not Composure.

Plenty of Repair characters have high Composure, making this an easy escape for them.

Strength makes more sense as it'd be hard to force a trap open, and it currently has only a very narrow use in demasking Jason, while this will make it more widely useful, and force people to work in teams to beat traps.

I'd say even the very low Strength characters should only get 4 checks max though, as otherwise it's simply a death sentence. Make Buggzy and Tommy a 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jameson87 said:

Thought you disappeared into the night again. I took a bit of a sabbatical myself and came back to more piss and vinegar and a huge dumpster fire. I think gun is showing how to not run a game/business.

You guys are stuck with me until this game is working properly, then I'll be playing the game. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

I agree on the skill check, but it should be Strength, not Composure.

Plenty of Repair characters have high Composure, making this an easy escape for them.

Strength makes more sense as it'd be hard to force a trap open, and it currently has only a very narrow use in demasking Jason, while this will make it more widely useful, and force people to work in teams to beat traps.

I'd say even the very low Strength characters should only get 4 checks max though, as otherwise it's simply a death sentence. Make Buggzy and Tommy a 1.

I understand where you're coming from with the strength thing but I still think composure would be the way to go.  Strength already has its place in the game as the charecters with high strength can stun Jason for longer periods of time and can unmask him easier.  Where as composure has no place and Jenny Myers is the weakest charecter by far.  I understand composure manages fear and might help you avoid Jason sense but stealth does that better and it's obvious with how few people use Jenny that the 10 composure doesn't mean a lot to players.  Being able to keep your composure with a bear trap snapped around your ankle or keep your composure when trying to disarm a trap makes just as much sense if not more than strength.  I agree with you on the high repair charecters having good composure but I also think many of the charecters need to be retooled as far as their stats because there are some who are obviously far superior than others.  I would have gone into that on my original post but it was already so long and I didn't want to add a whole new paragraph or two explaining how I think the charecter stats could be better balanced to fit my suggested changes.  On the number of checks you get I'm going to have to stand by the three checks if you're stuck in the trap and two before your knife breaks.  I know enough people who use Vanessa or Tiffany who can make repairs without missing a check.  It something you can get better at and four misses before you're done is too many.  Three strikes and you're out seems fair and two for a knife would make people think before using them, which was the idea behind the changes make people afraid of those traps and not so eager to mess with them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZooMalfunction said:

I agree on the skill check, but it should be Strength, not Composure.

Plenty of Repair characters have high Composure, making this an easy escape for them.

Strength makes more sense as it'd be hard to force a trap open, and it currently has only a very narrow use in demasking Jason, while this will make it more widely useful, and force people to work in teams to beat traps.

I'd say even the very low Strength characters should only get 4 checks max though, as otherwise it's simply a death sentence. Make Buggzy and Tommy a 1.

If traps get a skill check then it should be an entirely different type of skill check. Instead of "RB/LB" it should be something like balancing a grind in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater or whatever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of strength being what the trap skill check is based on. I thought tests were done that showed strength characters only use was removing Jasons mask and it had no benefit in how easy it is to stun him or stun time etc? 

Another reason I really dislike the objectives showing up on the map is because it speeds the match up too much. Instead of counselors being required to work together they can just keep an eye on the map now and then until a totally asymmetrical video game tells them where exactly they need to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fear the day when the bugs regarding killing are gone and he is still a pinata. I´d finally like to have my badge for  that btw @anyone from the devs. i reported this twice already along with 2 other badges.

Nowadays you get shaky hands and the "phew, i survived" after a jason match if you are up vs a good group. As counselor, it´s more "meh, would have prefered boat escape instead of car, cause i still need that badge"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

If traps get a skill check then it should be an entirely different type of skill check. Instead of "RB/LB" it should be something like balancing a grind in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater or whatever

I agree it should be more like a teeter-totter type thing. Disabling a trap isn't like a repair because if you were really trying to disable a trap, there would be variables. 1. You could be successful in the sense that you popped the trap, but still got hurt because you weren't quick enough to pull back. 2. You could, (as suggested earlier in this thread) end up just breaking the pocket knife and failing, or 3. you could end up with a successful pop altogether. A failed pop, or a semi-successful pop (where you pop the trap but also take damage) would alert Jason, but a fully successful pop would not. Each of the 3 scenarios consume a pocket knife.

I also feel that health sprays are meant for actual encounters with Jason where he's melee hit you, used a throwing knife, or you've had to dive through a window to avoid him and found yourself injured. Jason's traps should be way more risky to just step into. I mean, I don't think it should be an insta kill to step in one because you don't always do so intentionally. But just stepping in traps should be WAY more risky to do, and there should be more incentive to disable/disarm traps. I think that for each trap you step in, health sprays then have a 25% chance of not being able to heal your wounds. So if you just accidentally step in/get caught in one of Jason's traps ... shouldn't be a big deal. But if you're stepping in 2-3 traps, now you're looking at 50%-75% chance that your first aid spray does jack for ya and you get to hobble around the rest of the match until Jason gets you.

See how many people walk around stepping in traps then. Thick skinned or not, step in 2-3 of them and you're looking at a good chance of being hobbled rest of game with your health spray being useless.

 

Jason.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dmack621 said:

See how many people walk around stepping in traps then. Thick skinned or not, step in 2-3 of them and you're looking at a good chance of being hobbled rest of game with your health spray being useless.

 

If there would be something like a permanent or semi-permanent hobbling for stepping in multiple traps, there should be another item that could fix that. Say a splint or brace? It wouldn't heal damage but would cure the hobbling effect of traps. You still want to give players a hope of success at the right price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should just stop calling them traps and call them alarm systems. Because in its current state that what it is the majority of time. Jason just doesn't catch counselors in time unless he's on top of them and morph the second it goes off. But because of the grid system he is usually place somewhere far in a inconvenient place.

Want to make then deadly without trap stacking? Then make it hold down a counselor longer anytime they choose to put their feet in them. 8-10 seconds is the simple and easy solution. More time for Jason to get there and make them pay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Apollyon said:

 i have noo problems playing as jason

Very nice. Especially the first kill.

Also tricking the Chad by going in the opposite door was great.

You got lucky with Mitch at the phone though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

If there would be something like a permanent or semi-permanent hobbling for stepping in multiple traps, there should be another item that could fix that. Say a splint or brace? It wouldn't heal damage but would cure the hobbling effect of traps. You still want to give players a hope of success at the right price.

I semi-agree here, but also disagree. My compromise would be, 1 trap ... no effect to spray because let's face it, sometimes you wind up in a trap that you didn't intend to step into and it wouldn't be fair to penalize you for that (any more than alerting Jason already has). BUT, you step in 2 traps or more? You're taking the 25% penalty per trap so 2 traps you're at 50% chance of your health spray failing. 3 traps 75%. 

As far as a splint/brace? It would have to be found and applied by another counselor through a mini game. If they screw up, you scream loud and it alerts Jason. If they don't screw up, you get the hobble effect removed and a portion of health restored.

Edit: IMO this makes trap tanking way more risky and rewards trap disabling far more. If you are tanking a trap, it should be placing you in dire straits. It shouldn't be a common thing at all and should really be reserved for desperation. Disarming traps should be more incentivized. Yes there should be a mini game for disarming traps, but tanking them should yield FAR more penalties than disarming them. Disarming should have the CHANCE of failure, absolutely. But not at all to the degree of tanking them. Tanking them should be an equivalent of almost guaranteed capture/death. Whereas disarming should be more balanced toward the reward with less penalties. Obviously failure to disarm would be a penalty, but if it is tied to stats ie: composure or luck ... the risk is much lower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really loving all these suggestions to expand on traps. Hope the devs get inspired by some of these ideas.

Gonna go on a limb here and suggest how I'd love to see traps permanently hold a counselor who stepped on them until:

A. Either he or she uses a pocket knife to get out of it thru some mini game like repairing a fuse box, etc.... 

B. Or until a fellow counselor arrives to get you out of it (no knife required) but also thru a mini game where both counselors have to play the same game at the same time and complete it without errors.

This would make traps panic inducing cuz if you're alone with no knife, you're fvkt. And if another counselor comes to save you, you're both at risk. Imagine the anxiety knowing that Jason has been alerted and you're stuck in there until someone rescues you. Jason could keep you there as bait if he wanted to. He could troll the trolls right back. Sweet revenge lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dmack621 said:

I semi-agree here, but also disagree. My compromise would be, 1 trap ... no effect to spray because let's face it, sometimes you wind up in a trap that you didn't intend to step into and it wouldn't be fair to penalize you for that (any more than alerting Jason already has). BUT, you step in 2 traps or more? You're taking the 25% penalty per trap so 2 traps you're at 50% chance of your health spray failing. 3 traps 75%. 

As far as a splint/brace? It would have to be found and applied by another counselor through a mini game. If they screw up, you scream loud and it alerts Jason. If they don't screw up, you get the hobble effect removed and a portion of health restored.

Edit: IMO this makes trap tanking way more risky and rewards trap disabling far more. If you are tanking a trap, it should be placing you in dire straits. It shouldn't be a common thing at all and should really be reserved for desperation. Disarming traps should be more incentivized. Yes there should be a mini game for disarming traps, but tanking them should yield FAR more penalties than disarming them. Disarming should have the CHANCE of failure, absolutely. But not at all to the degree of tanking them. Tanking them should be an equivalent of almost guaranteed capture/death. Whereas disarming should be more balanced toward the reward with less penalties. Obviously failure to disarm would be a penalty, but if it is tied to stats ie: composure or luck ... the risk is much lower.

I'll have to semi-agree/disagree as well lol.

As for the chance of a health spray failing, that's another RNG element that would be added to a game with a lot of RNG elements already. I think we shouldn't keep adding too many more of those. I think having consistent effects for different statuses would be better.

Say if you step in one trap you get a speed debuff but that goes away if you get healed. Step in 2 traps and you get hobbled and need a splint. This would be cumulative: You get hobbled from 2 traps even if you had already healed after the first one. You can still heal yourself back to full health after getting hobbled but you'll have a permanent speed debuff and a different kind of limping animation until you get a splint. To add value to splints beyond fixing trap damage, jumping from second story windows would also add to the hobbling effect. This would also be cumulative with traps. You can jump out of one high window and step in one trap and you'll get hobbled. Counselor bear traps have 1/2 hobbling value. You'd need to step in 3 counselor bear traps to get hobbled, or one fall and 2 bear traps, or one Jason trap and 2 bear traps.

In this way the splints would have a high value because they could potentially get used up, and there'd be fewer of them than med sprays. Perhaps the same count as pocket knives; 3-4 per match.

As for your last paragraph, if splints could only be applied by other counselors, it would give more reason to not step in traps at all and just try to run out the clock. I feel like there should be a hope of a sole survivor escape at the right cost. I think the splint taking up inventory space for just one purpose would be enough to balance the semi-permanent hobbling effect. You don't want to entirely strip the player of any hope of surviving. If a player tanks a trap but no one has a splint to fix them and they can't fix themselves, well that player is as good as dead and might as well quit the match. You want to dangle hope in front of the player's face to keep them in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

I'll have to semi-agree/disagree as well lol.

As for the chance of a health spray failing, that's another RNG element that would be added to a game with a lot of RNG elements already. I think we shouldn't keep adding too many more of those. I think having consistent effects for different statuses would be better.

Say if you step in one trap you get a speed debuff but that goes away if you get healed. Step in 2 traps and you get hobbled and need a splint. This would be cumulative: You get hobbled from 2 traps even if you had already healed after the first one. You can still heal yourself back to full health after getting hobbled but you'll have a permanent speed debuff and a different kind of limping animation until you get a splint. To add value to splints beyond fixing trap damage, jumping from second story windows would also add to the hobbling effect. This would also be cumulative with traps. You can jump out of one high window and step in one trap and you'll get hobbled. Counselor bear traps have 1/2 hobbling value. You'd need to step in 3 counselor bear traps to get hobbled, or one fall and 2 bear traps, or one Jason trap and 2 bear traps.

In this way the splints would have a high value because they could potentially get used up, and there'd be fewer of them than med sprays. Perhaps the same count as pocket knives; 3-4 per match.

As for your last paragraph, if splints could only be applied by other counselors, it would give more reason to not step in traps at all and just try to run out the clock. I feel like there should be a hope of a sole survivor escape at the right cost. I think the splint taking up inventory space for just one purpose would be enough to balance the semi-permanent hobbling effect. You don't want to entirely strip the player of any hope of surviving. If a player tanks a trap but no one has a splint to fix them and they can't fix themselves, well that player is as good as dead and might as well quit the match. You want to dangle hope in front of the player's face to keep them in the game.

I can agree with you on these points. But in lieu of RNG elements, and to still make tanking traps FAR more risky, I'd suggest that a splint take up 2 item spots. NOT that you have to find two items separately. But when you find a "splint" you've found bandages and plank wood. each of them take up a spot and are used to create the splint. So, if you are planning to tank traps, you must give up 2 slots of your inventory to do so and still have that hope of survival. This still incentivizes disarming over tanking, still provides penalty, and still provides a chance of survival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dmack621 said:

I can agree with you on these points. But in lieu of RNG elements, and to still make tanking traps FAR more risky, I'd suggest that a splint take up 2 item spots. NOT that you have to find two items separately. But when you find a "splint" you've found bandages and plank wood. each of them take up a spot and are used to create the splint. So, if you are planning to tank traps, you must give up 2 slots of your inventory to do so and still have that hope of survival. This still incentivizes disarming over tanking, still provides penalty, and still provides a chance of survival.

I can see the reasoning behind that. I think it could be either/or on the item slots. Even if it takes up one slot, that still means you'd be giving up at least one thing potentially important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Apollyon said:

 i have noo problems playing as jason

 

 

Doesn't mean he isn't severly nerfed and need fixing. I dont' see how anyone could defend the game in the state it's in right now, at all. Jason isn't as much of a threat and the counselors have their hand held throughout the whole match with the objective items. Traps are now a nonissue. Might as well call it Counselors the 13th. But you can get 9/8 counselors because Jason is just so OP and there's nothing wrong and everything is sunshine and rainbows. Right. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It needs to be fixed bad. Jason is on Defense now and I'm calling BS on the counselors getting better. Ofcourse they have...I mean for something set in 1979 and 1984, they have a walking GPS that entails where ALL other counselors are and Jason. On top of that they now know where all the parts are. Medical sprays everywhere. 

Sorry to rant but the whole GPS thing has go. Not the walking map, but all the stuff that comes with it. Medical sprays should be non existent. It should be a challenge to survive not a dance in the park every game like it's been. The game used to be fun....but it's been too challenging as Jason and way too easy as a counselor. The balance was way better before. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, americanalien said:

It needs to be fixed bad. Jason is on Defense now and I'm calling BS on the counselors getting better. Ofcourse they have...I mean for something set in 1979 and 1984, they have a walking GPS that entails where ALL other counselors are and Jason. On top of that they now know where all the parts are. Medical sprays everywhere. 

Sorry to rant but the whole GPS thing has go. Not the walking map, but all the stuff that comes with it. Medical sprays should be non existent. It should be a challenge to survive not a dance in the park every game like it's been. The game used to be fun....but it's been too challenging as Jason and way too easy as a counselor. The balance was way better before. 

 

@americanalien I legitimately believe that they don't realize how much fun the game used to be vs. how it is now. It's literally a night and day difference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Caulus said:

@americanalien I legitimately believe that they don't realize how much fun the game used to be vs. how it is now. It's literally a night and day difference.

The devs, like 99% of all devs, are probably bad at their own game so they don't even really notice the difference. You still wipe everyone in quick play right? I've never lost a counselor yet since the nerfs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×