ZooMalfunction

How Gun approach gameplay balance patches

The perfect analogy - "There's a dent in the car, Father Ted".

https://youtu.be/8mdwAkWvWMw

EDIT: For those lacking a sense of humour, let me explain why this is an analogy, and therefore a valid post.

It shows how endlessly tinkering to solve a small, insignificant issue, can eventually ruin the entire product because you end up causing more 'dents' than you actually repair, which creates an exponential problem.

An analogy is a rhetorical tool. As is satire. Both are ways of communicating concepts to people in ways that are more relatable than simple descriptive text.

The endless patching and creating new problems is a genuine problem for this game, and therefore this is on topic as a way to express my opinion as to the larger problem it creates. So stop fucking crying for mods to censor opinions you don't like under the insincere claim it isn't relevant.

• Like 9

Now imagine if another person, not to be named, made a post in off topic pointing fun at their time tables. Wonder what would happen to them? Wait, we already know. Standards are very inconsistent here. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

Now imagine if another person, not to be named, made a post in off topic pointing fun at their time tables. Wonder what would happen to them? Wait, we already know. Standards are very inconsistent here. 

I'm not familiar with that example (I don't visit off-topic) but I don't feel this is any different than making a topic saying:

"I feel the issue with patches and rebalances are that they cause bigger problems than they solve, and create a death-spiral where you get caught endlessly patching the patches and causing an exponentially bigger problem than existed in the first place".

Yes, the video is funny, but it's serving to illustrate a concept much better and more relatably than the above sentence does.

I think humour as a rhetorical device is fine when used to communicate an important point. I'm not trolling. I'm trying to improve the game by getting people onside with what I believe is damaging it, so we can campaign for a stop to it. I just feel like if you can make people laugh at the same time, then why not?

We need more lightheartedness around this place, not less.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brigadius said:

Well, people like you did get super pissed about that, so after a while I decided, "Hey, you know what, I should probably just lurk in the shadows more so I can let the admins do their thing, it shouldn't be my fight after all."

Now I'm being called out for apparently not doing that, despite how angry people had gotten as well as not wanting me to do said action anymore (which includes you). So...what is it? Do you really want me to go back, start picking fights, etc.? Because I was under the impression that I should instead spend my time crunching data on the game as well as creating suggestions that could one day help make the game more fun (e.g. strength QTEs).

Beyond that, I didn't really feel like I needed to say something about this thread initially. It's already been done here...

18 hours ago, Tattooey said:

Another useless clickbait troll thread

@JPops please lock

17 hours ago, Moe9999633 said:

@Kodiak please lock this thread or change the name it has nothing to do with the title

....but...if you absolutely want to indirectly call me out here, then sure.

@ZooMalfunction Do you know the reason why people are getting upset? Because at the end of the day, this thread is you throwing salt on wounds. And the problem with threads like these is that it also riles people up, then sometimes makes them target the people they deem responsible for the patches they don't like: other players. And when they get targeted, they get pissed too, and start to get worried whenever "blame the dev" threads like these are started.

You have to ask yourself, "Am I really going to accomplish any good by posting something like this?" Because at the end of the day it appears to some you're really just lashing out at the devs, but you're doing so under the guise of a funny video to accomplish this, then accusing people of being thin skinned if they get offended. Pretty much anyone here who has been around on the forums knows about your thread you created a short while ago using the royal "we" to get people to stop playing the game, so it's not really a surprise many people believe you created a troll thread instead of one that tries using satire to get a point across.

Ok, so, this thread has turned into a brawl. I hope the next patch comes out soon, because whenever the people who don't like the patch get angry at the devs, they start to get angry at other people afterward.

Corrections:

I used the term 'we' as 5 of us quit. It was correct usage. I stay on the forums because I'm looking for patch info. If the next patch fixes the game, we'll come back. If not, it'll be a clear sign they're commited to that path and we'll all go for good. Including me stopping posting or checking here.

It was never intended to stop people playing the game. On the contrary. It was intended to let the developers know that they were pushing away people and that they should have a think about what they were doing.

It was designed to hopefully save the game, not help kill it.

This post was designed to accomplish the same thing, but using a different approach. One of humour. And I genuinely think the analogy is accurate - that endless tinkering has ruined the product.

6 minutes ago, Trident77 said:

Well, people like you did get super pissed about that, so after a while I decided, "Hey, you know what, I should probably just lurk in the shadows more so I can let the admins do their thing, it shouldn't be my fight after all."

Now I'm being called out for apparently not doing that, despite how angry people had gotten as well as not wanting me to do said action anymore (which includes you). So...what is it? Do you really want me to go back, start picking fights, etc.? Because I was under the impression that I should instead spend my time crunching data on the game as well as creating suggestions that could one day help make the game more fun (e.g. strength QTEs).

Beyond that, I didn't really feel like I needed to say something about this thread initially. It's already been done here...

....but...if you absolutely want to indirectly call me out here, then sure.

Buddy, what are you talking about? My post has nothing to do with you. You are not on anyone's radar that i'm aware of and nobody has it in for you or is calling you out on anything. How you thought my post pertained to you is beyond me.

wait-wut.jpg

1 minute ago, Brigadius said:

Buddy, what are you talking about? My post has nothing to do with you. You are not on anyone's radar that i'm aware of and nobody has it in for you or is calling you out on anything. How you thought my post pertained to you is beyond me.

Then I'm very glad to see you had no intentions of doing so.

13 hours ago, weirdkid5 said:

Man you guys really lost your humor if you're mad about this.

We’re not mad. The OP is just a tool.

15 minutes ago, Tattooey said:

The OP is just a tool.

Pretty ironic coming from someone with a hammer icon lmao. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alcanx said:

Pretty ironic coming from someone with a hammer icon lmao. 

That hammer is a symbol of the shadow realms ability to deliver facts & be paid in suspensions. 

2 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

You sound mad bro.

Mad of what? Some 40 something year old flight attendant? Nahhh.

46 minutes ago, Tattooey said:

Why is he a tool? It was a humorous analogy. Jeez.. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kohagan said:

Why is he a tool? It was a humorous analogy. Jeez.. 

Oh we’re best friends. We mess with each other like that all the time.

1 hour ago, Tattooey said:

For speaking the truth? And doing so in a humorous fashion? That makes you a tool nowadays? Ok.

Seems like the only tool here is you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tattooey said:

You're resorting to insults. You're mad.

• Like 1