Sign in to follow this  
Groovalicious666

What we can and can not say.....really?

So  myself and a couple others dared to use a historical term in a discussion, and were told we couldn't use it or we'd get warnings. Really? In a forum, about a game that centers around wantonly murdering people, in horribly, graphic ways......the word nazi is an offense of some kind? Pardon me folks for despising censorship, as it truly is an attack on freedom. I don't think people get the big picture anymore. I support freedom. I am not a nazi. I don't support racism. But give me a break. They existed. They were bossy dicks. Who tried to tell others what they could and couldn't read, or could and couldn't say, and omitting the word, as much as one might like, won't erase history. Pointless censorship. Thanks guys. Big fan of friday. Jason lives. But chill the hell out. 

No soup for you.

I didn't really get that either... I wanted to ask him about it but it's probably not worth the trouble...

Not sure what this is referencing so really can't speak about the issue however, freedom of speech does not mean that you can say whatever you want. You can't yell fire in a court house or bomb on a plane. There is a certain decorum that must be followed. Places such as a forum is no different. Again I am not sure what thread this is in regard to but I highly doubt it was because you used something that was non-offensive. Please review the forum rules in the rules section for clarifications of the rules in place.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Godwin's Law strikes again.

lmao I never knew about that!

• Like 1

So, am I correct that this is a situation where members of the forums were directly compared to or specifically called Nazis?

"What is with the thread [Content omitted by Kodiak - Don't use that kind of language]?"

"40's era german fascist political group members"

Obviously you're not going to go against another mod, but what do you think @JPops? Is that really something that needs to be censored?

So let's funnel this down to a name-calling issue, regardless of the name. 

If I called a forum member a name in a discussion (we'll say I called @Truth a "tiny-toed bacon-surfing slap-donkey), and it's clear that my intent was malicious, then I can expect a moderator will get involved and call me out on the rule violation. (I apologize, @Truth for the imaginary insult in this example). 

If the the insult I have selected is especially inflammatory, (let's say I called @Truth a Jar-Jar-Rimming, Original Trilogy-Denier With Pansexual Leanings...again, my deepest apologies, @Truth), then I can also expect the situation to escalate faster as other members will flag my post as a rule violation and moderators will get involved even sooner.

I created a non-malicious thread, a while back, suggesting we all contribute useless suggestions in my thread for fun, as a response to some of the sillier, sincere request I had seen. My inaugural suggestion was that counselors express fear through flatulence of varying degrees of severity. My thread was closed. It was essentially spam. I had posted it in the suggestions section. I recognized the rule enforcement when it was explained to me, and I moved on. I don't feel censored. I feel like I failed in properly communicating my intent.

TL,DR: Name calling is against the rules. Moderators enforce the rules.

• Like 3

@NthnButAGoodTime

LMFAO those are some creative insults! I don't think he was being malicious though. It wasn't even directed at anyone specific.

• Like 1

I thought it was a little much, that's all. Censorship is mostly bad in my opinion. A vulgarity in and of itself. Order always takes second next to freedom. And should always.

But yeah some peeps jumped all over worrying about tina threads. I wasn't name calling in that way....more like hey what with the concern.......he didn't search the threads, just shot an idea off the top of his head. Whatever. My comment sparked some others. Getting peoples hackles up is too easy these days. We just keep getting lamer.

2 minutes ago, Groovalicious666 said:

I thought it was a little much, that's all. Censorship is mostly bad in my opinion. A vulgarity in and of itself. Order always takes second next to freedom. And should always.

I feel like I get where you're coming from, but absolute freedom is anarchy, which will ultimately infringe on the freedoms of others. Structured freedom with preordained guidelines makes for a more enjoyable experience for everyone.

Anarchy is fine without casualties, as in this case I think. Order for the sake of order is just being subjected to the wishes of others. Again, no harm directed toward anyone. Just thought it wasn't quite so bad as it all sounded. No one I REFERRED to in that comment seemed to care what the dude was saying. Just that it had been said before. So, to me that says why bother looking at the thread if you have seen it before. THAT sparked a debate. My WORD got omitted by a mod. Which to me seemed silly. Hence the unavoidable soup-"40's era fascist political group member" comment at the end. I can't shut up once my own hackles get up, that's my bad. And silly censorship has that effect. All in all, wow. It's all good. Peace, love, and anarchy. Heh.

They were really good insults. I love words. 

@truth Thanks for getting it 

I'm not throwing my two cents in as to whether the censoring was appropriate or not, and I'm certainly a fan of free speech, but message boards are, essentially, private property and said property owner has the right to restrict whatever they choose no matter how ridiculous it may seem. i was on a drum message board way back in the day where people got 30 day bans for using emotes and 7 day bans for using the word "dude." no lie. 

Wow. Just wow. If they get to that point here, there'd no longer be a need to post. I can't imagine. But then hey....what do you do? To the credit of gun and illphonic, at least they listen to us. Hehe....most of the time.

yeah. i didn't hang around there long. i use to get all bent out of shape about that shit but, you know, "choose your battles" and all that shit. 

3 hours ago, Truth said:

@NthnButAGoodTime

LMFAO those are some creative insults!

Admit it, you're going to think about using one of those, in an argument, in the near future.

3 hours ago, Groovalicious666 said:

They were really good insults. I love words. 

Wait. Did you mean my nonsense insults, above, or your Indiana Jones villain insults on the other thread?

Haha, I was not involved, but reading up on this...

You called people nazis and got upset enough that the word was removed to make a thread about it. Is it possibly you that gets easily offended? Ant not those who apparently took issue with your choice of name-calling? Try not to get defensive about that and actually think about it. :)

Honestly, I think the mod may have goofed in only removing the word, instead of removing the 'offending' posts. As it's name-calling and insulting and wasn't really contributing, which is what forum mods try to fix, when they deem it necessary.

Better results on message boards may come without name-calling... especially poor results come from using a bigoted fascist state name against another forum user! :D

Just my thoughts! Not trying to be a forum ISIL. :rolleyes:

@Nomadder the mod said it was the word that was the problem. I don't think this post was made because he was upset, It was more so for clarification. 

6 hours ago, Groovalicious666 said:

Your nonsense insults. Very colorful.

I see. Thank you. I agonized over my word choice. :D