Sign in to follow this  
Theiceman105

Should trap damage be unhealable?

Face it, the Traps are underpowered as hell since the update. Even before you could tank 2-3 traps, heal, lead Jason away from objective, someone else repairs it.

Now, it's just 1 trap, and you can heal it much easier.

What are your thoughts on this?

I never used the perks that would allow me to tank traps. I could only take 1 and that's if I had a medspray. I still think you should be able to heal though, not being able to doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe instead they should take another look at the perks that are causing such an ease of tanking traps. Maybe the medic perk only works for the first medspray you pick up? Maybe just lessen the number of medsprays on the map?

• Like 1

Traps need definite buff, maybe you can heal after one but the next one you step in will kill you? At most the traps could kill 2 councilors.

if you step in a trap spray should have a work time limit say you step in a trap then spray yourself the spray would only last so long being you stepped in a traps made with rusty nails

3 hours ago, pioneer67fkd said:

if you step in a trap spray should have a work time limit say you step in a trap then spray yourself the spray would only last so long being you stepped in a traps made with rusty nails

I like your idea, it slowly cancels out the spray overtime

3 hours ago, pioneer67fkd said:

I can't say I've noticed rusty nails on any traps... I still think adjusting the perks that make tanking traps so easy would be the better option. That idea would kind of screw over anyone that doesn't use those perks and would make you NEED the perks if you don't have a knife.

4 minutes ago, Truth said:

I can't say I've noticed rusty nails on any traps... I still think adjusting the perks that make tanking traps so easy would be the better option. That idea would kind of screw over anyone that doesn't use those perks and would make you NEED the perks if you don't have a knife.

It would cancel any spray, your punishment for not using a knife. 

I would like to suggest to change the traps totally.

Right now you can step on the trap, unlock, heal yourself and done. IMHO, it would be better if you can't open the trap alone, you need someone to help you and, if no one come to rescue you well, you will die soon or later. In this way you are FORCED to use a pocket knife, you're FORCED to do some teamwork, you will fear the traps. If you're caught in a bear trap in real i don't think you will be able to simply open it by yourself in few second, you need help.

The other option is to have a QTE based on your strength to release yourself. A mighty one may try to walk on the trap, perform a "easy" QTE and then heal himself, a weak one will be in a real danger 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Theiceman105 said:

It would cancel any spray, your punishment for not using a knife. 

Which I don't really agree with.

• Like 1

Just now, Theiceman105 said:

Or would your rather have double trap stacking, or the old grab back?

I didn't really have a problem with the traps before. I never had it chain, but that was the issue that caused the change. Grab I guess could be a little longer but I'm fine with how it is.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Truth said:

the traps are made of scrap metal and old nails i believe it explains that in how to play guide I believe 

7 minutes ago, pioneer67fkd said:

the traps are made of scrap metal and old nails i believe it explains that in how to play guide I believe 

Ah. I never looked at that. Still doesn't actually look like it though... Either way, rust would take a while to do anything. Definitely more than 20 minutes...

1 minute ago, Truth said:

Ah. I never looked at that. Still doesn't actually look like it though... Either way, rust would take a while to do anything. Definitely more than 20 minutes...

ah its just an idea and i think @Blinckx already hit out of the park with his idea anyway

24 minutes ago, pioneer67fkd said:

ah its just an idea and i think @Blinckx already hit out of the park with his idea anyway

I'm not saying you shouldn't post your ideas or anything. I'm just saying I don't like this particular idea.

I would simple remove the two perks for the  spray and reduce the amount of sprays per game to 3 + 1 for Tommy. So basically  I would treat them like the pocketknifes.

That would make them a valuable ressource, since most counselors wouldnt have one. Then you have to think about if its a good idea to tank traps or if its that smart to constantly climb thru broken windows.

• Like 2

I also think the perks that allow trap tanking need some tweaks...maybe if you have the perk you can only pick up one med spray until you use the one you have.

also I think different types of traps should be included like the slingshot snare trap from Friday the 13th part 2 and the only way to get out of it is for another counselor to release you or to use your pocket knife to cut your self loose.

(Jason would only have one of these in his inventory per match).... 

i just think it would be so cool if you didn’t have a knife and were hoping that the trap that was in front of one of the objects was a bear trap but unfortunately now you are hanging from the rope upside down  hoping the foot steps you hear behind you are a fellow counselor...

Jason should also have a environmental throat slash kill with it just like part 2.

Maybe a trap can reduce your max health.  Like maybe a trap will permantly remove 1/4 of your max health and can't be recovered.

18 hours ago, Blinckx said:

Right now you can step on the trap, unlock, heal yourself and done. IMHO, it would be better if you can't open the trap alone, you need someone to help you and, if no one come to rescue you well, you will die soon or later. In this way you are FORCED to use a pocket knife, you're FORCED to do some teamwork, you will fear the traps. If you're caught in a bear trap in real i don't think you will be able to simply open it by yourself in few second, you need help.

The other option is to have a QTE based on your strength to release yourself. A mighty one may try to walk on the trap, perform a "easy" QTE and then heal himself, a weak one will be in a real danger 

Combine both options! Either you use a pocketknife to remove the trap, have a teammate next to you mash X to free you, or risk trying to free yourself with a skill check prompt like the ones for repairing an objective. If you try to free yourself, you cannot back out of it. No rerolling for an easier skill check, and every time you press the wrong prompt, 50% of your health is removed. All the while the person in the trap is at 100 fear.

Now this excites me.

Edit: Well it has been two hours and I cannot help but regret posting. Purely off of emotion. I have to stop putting myself in situations like this. I'll leave it for reference I suppose. Maybe it would be easier to do what @AngronKharn said and reduce the amount of health sprays and/or the removal of the perks surrounding them than to reformat the method of escaping traps. Maybe the war of attrition would suffice. Maybe.

Edit 2: It's been nine hours since my last amendment and I'm back for more. I would like to view traps from another perspective. This game was designed to have Jason snuff you out of existence. Since the game's release, traps have been nothing more than an impedance on progress to buy Jason time. If one goes off, it is expected that Jason would come out of nowhere and finish the job himself with the cinematic kills. This is what Illfonic/Gun intended with the trap system. They were never supposed to be an efficient means of killing. So, they added the medical perks and scattered health sprays across the map for counselors as a method of "counterplay." Traps can still be used to kill on objectives if placed one in front of the other. If the counselor chooses to step into the one closer to the objective, they will slide out of the animation and into the one behind them, effectively being incapacitated for however long it takes them to escape. Jason cannot be everywhere at once, but he shouldn't expect the traps to do the work for him. He wants murder to be intimate, right? This places an emphasis on managing morphs (20 seconds for morph as a strength / 13 seconds during rage, 30 seconds for average morph / 20 seconds during rage, 40 seconds for morph as a weakness / 26 seconds during rage). If you leave a sector and your traps go off, sorry but you should not have left. That's the benefit of coordinating attacks as counselors. I see it from both sides now, for its purpose now and for those who want a buff. For me, it has its current role and I am fine with that. I'm sure I'll change my mind in a few hours again. I hope not. PLEASE NO!

Edited by BomberBuddy
Why, I outta...
  • Like 1

Or maybe they should just look at changing the phone box objective, since that's the most important thing that traps go towards to anyway. I think it's kind of the root of the problem.

21 hours ago, Theiceman105 said:

Face it, the Traps are underpowered as hell since the update. Even before you could tank 2-3 traps, heal, lead Jason away from objective, someone else repairs it.

Now, it's just 1 trap, and you can heal it much easier.

What are your thoughts on this?

No on not being able to heal trap damage. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blinckx said:

They should increase the time it takes to free yourself from the trap by alot, and fix the Scout perk to make it alot more useful. But also make it so that other players can assist you and free you more quickly.

Or how about if the traps inflict base damage as you step into them but they also deal more damage over time until you've disarmed it?

But I love your idea!

The problem with traps being totally unhealable is things would go too far the other way, since once you've lost the ability to run, you're basically screwed either way, and Jason would just have to trap the objectives and there'd be nothing you can do.

I love the idea of Strength affecting how long it takes you to free yourself from the trap (with or without a QTE). It gives Strength another game use, and is more realistic. And the idea that somebody else could help you is interesting too to speed things up and make it safer.

• Like 1

Yeah, we shouldn't be able to heal. Traps should be fatal always. Jason should be able to trap the phone or car and make it so you can't use it, no exceptions. 

Also doors should be unlockable, one hit from Jason should kill you, and when you do face a Jason who lets you call the police, they should simply respond with "You're screwed." and not bother to come and save you. 

14 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

Or maybe they should just look at changing the phone box objective, since that's the most important thing that traps go towards to anyway. I think it's kind of the root of the problem.

Could it be possible to add one more step for the phone to work? Like restoring the power to that section of the camp.

• Like 1