I ❤️ A.J.

You guys like boxing?

20 posts in this topic

You know, jab, jab, move around?

Talkin about good, sharp boxing.  You know, looks real good when you see it.

lomachenko.jpg

part8-1024x575.jpg

Maybe not like Julius though.  He didn't pace himself for that match. Stayed it the pocket for too long.

Edited by I ❤️ A.J.

9 hours ago, I ❤️ A.J. said:

Maybe not like Julius though.  He didn't pace himself for that match. Stayed it the pocket for too long.

That and his technique, everything from his stance to his punching form, was terrible. Always bugs me when you can tell an actor has had no formal training.

8 hours ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

That and his technique, everything from his stance to his punching form, was terrible. Always bugs me when you can tell an actor has had no formal training.

Always killed me how he punched the mask.  A fuckin hockey mask that's designed to take a hard rubber puck moving over 100 mph.  How would that be a good strategy?  I mean his knuckles were so bloody by the end.  I read that he was really punching Kane too.  He was like, "yo Kane, can I hit you for real?"

I mean he went to the body for a little while, but then he goes back to the face!

They also wanted to do it at MSG, but they didn't have the budget.

23 hours ago, I ❤️ A.J. said:

You know, jab, jab, move around?

Talkin about good, sharp boxing.  You know, looks real good when you see it.

lomachenko.jpg

part8-1024x575.jpg

I go kick boxing does that count it's pretty fun

2 hours ago, Moe9999633 said:

Kind of.  There are some key differences.

1 hour ago, I ❤️ A.J. said:

Kind of.  There are some key differences.

There are

9 hours ago, Moe9999633 said:

American kickboxing, or Muay Thai? I recommend the latter, though either is a great sport. But Muay Thai, imo, is more efficient. 

Boxing doesn't get nearly enough respect from martial artists or martial art fans, imo. But western boxing created most of the principles and techniques for the punches in modern kickboxing and Muay Thai. 

To answer the original question of this post, yes I love boxing. I never really followed the sport, however, but we had gym days dedicated to pure boxing, and we would study highlight reels for technique analyzing. 

I love boxing and MMA. I used to compete in amateur MMA in 06-07. I was 4-0 (1 submission, 3 TKO). Was gonna do a boxing match but it never worked out schedule wise 

40 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I love boxing and MMA. I used to compete in amateur MMA in 06-07. I was 4-0 (1 submission, 3 TKO). Was gonna do a boxing match but it never worked out schedule wise 

Nice! What state? My friends and I went from traditional martial arts, starting in '93, until our gym slowly morphed and became a full-blown MMA school by '03 or '04. I had left to train BJJ and Muay Thai in '99, I think it was, and fell out of training completely by '03. A lot of my friends are still in it though, and now it's organized with amateur bouts several times a year. Some have their own gyms now in other cities and states. It's crazy. I got most of them into it, and now they'd all kill me.

I still tune in for MMA fighters I like, but I don't follow any of it religiously. 

5 minutes ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Nice! What state? My friends and I went from traditional martial arts, starting in '93, until our gym slowly morphed and became a full-blown MMA school by '03 or '04. I had left to train BJJ and Muay Thai in '99, I think it was, and fell out of training completely by '03. A lot of my friends are still in it though, and now it's organized with amateur bouts several times a year. Some have their own gyms now in other cities and states. It's crazy. I got most of them into it, and now they'd all kill me.

I still tune in for MMA fighters I like, but I don't follow any of it religiously. 

I'm Canadian. Did 3 fights in Ontario where it wasn't sanctioned at the time, so it was basically glorified smokers. Legit nonetheless. Gym packed with 250 people and proper refs, judges, etc. Only bad part was they were mostly boxing guys, so they didn't know MMA the best. Then I did a fight in Montreal on a TKO MMA undercard, where GSP started his career. I've met and trained with Georges several times. He did yearly seminars at my gym until he lost to Matt Serra, then they stopped.

23 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I'm Canadian. Did 3 fights in Ontario where it wasn't sanctioned at the time, so it was basically glorified smokers. Legit nonetheless. Gym packed with 250 people and proper refs, judges, etc. Only bad part was they were mostly boxing guys, so they didn't know MMA the best. Then I did a fight in Montreal on a TKO MMA undercard, where GSP started his career. I've met and trained with Georges several times. He did yearly seminars at my gym until he lost to Matt Serra, then they stopped.

Lucky bastard. The highest tier I ever trained with was the, at the time, Washington state Muay Thai heavy weight champ. I did 2 kickboxing matches in the late 90s, amateur, definitely non-sanctioned. And it was only against local guys from other dojos, so really it felt like a typical inter-dojo, full-contact sparring match. Only in a ring. So I don't even count them. But in truth, I was never interested in doing it professionally. I don't have the athlete mindset. 

Speaking of GSP, I'm excited that he's back. To be honest, I had my doubts about the Bisping match going in. His training clips just did not look impressive or as sharp as back in the day. But I forgot how cunning he is, and inside the Octagon he looked as sharp as ever.  

2 hours ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

American kickboxing, or Muay Thai? I recommend the latter, though either is a great sport. But Muay Thai, imo, is more efficient. 

Boxing doesn't get nearly enough respect from martial artists or martial art fans, imo. But western boxing created most of the principles and techniques for the punches in modern kickboxing and Muay Thai. 

To answer the original question of this post, yes I love boxing. I never really followed the sport, however, but we had gym days dedicated to pure boxing, and we would study highlight reels for technique analyzing. 

It's true that boxing is the gold standard for punching.  It kills me when I watch the MMA guys throw their punches.  Most of them are arm punches with no torque.  The forms all different.  They push with their punches too.  Not a lot of snap on them.

Just watch the recent McGregor - Mayweather fight.  McGregor pushed with a lot of his punches he had no power. All arm.  His stance was too wide too. 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

Lucky bastard. The highest tier I ever trained with was the, at the time, Washington state Muay Thai heavy weight champ. I did 2 kickboxing matches in the late 90s, amateur, definitely non-sanctioned. And it was only against local guys from other dojos, so really it felt like a typical inter-dojo, full-contact sparring match. Only in a ring. So I don't even count them. But in truth, I was never interested in doing it professionally. I don't have the athlete mindset. 

Speaking of GSP, I'm excited that he's back. To be honest, I had my doubts about the Bisping match going in. His training clips just did not look impressive or as sharp as back in the day. But I forgot how cunning he is, and inside the Octagon he looked as sharp as ever.  

Absolutely...I'm glad he's back too. I used to be quite the critic of him. I found he lacked killer instinct...that ability to flip the switch and go for the finish, especially considering we could all see the skills were there. He really impressed me with the Bisping fight. He showed killer instinct and toughness in overcoming all the blood - something that would have usually broken him.

I think they were intentionally subdued in the clips, media training sessions, etc. They wanted Bisping to think he was gonna be soft.

And I HATE Bisping...He made me cringe in the entire lead up to that fight. Corny and pompous. Two of the loudest cheers I've ever let out watching MMA was when Henderson knocked him out and when GSP choked him unconscious. There's just something really satisfying about it. He acts like a (delusional) bully. Great to see him lose.

2 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

I think they were intentionally subdued in the clips, media training sessions, etc. They wanted Bisping to think he was gonna be soft.

I think you might be right. 

And Bisping is very boorish. And now he's fighting again in like 2 weeks. 

1 minute ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

I think you might be right. 

And Bisping is very boorish. And now he's fighting again in like 2 weeks. 

Yep, and it's another bad match up for him. Another wrestler. I'm pretty sure he's gonna get choked out again.

6 hours ago, Smitty_Voorhees said:

American Kickboxing 

A limited field, but the heavyweight division in boxing was my main thing during the 90s and early 2000s. Watched a lot of fights at the time (mainly Holyfield, Lewis, Tyson, Bowe and so on) and then a load of fights from the previous years. And the odd fight up to now, like Wlad-Joshua. So I know my history pretty well there.

Basically, if someone name-drops Ingmar Johansson or Neon Leon Spinks, I'll know what they're on about.

9 hours ago, DamonD7 said:

A limited field, but the heavyweight division in boxing was my main thing during the 90s and early 2000s. Watched a lot of fights at the time (mainly Holyfield, Lewis, Tyson, Bowe and so on) and then a load of fights from the previous years. And the odd fight up to now, like Wlad-Joshua. So I know my history pretty well there.

Basically, if someone name-drops Ingmar Johansson or Neon Leon Spinks, I'll know what they're on about.

Good stuff son!  90's heavyweights were a real treat.  A lot of big and recognizable names and really good match ups.  It's a shame we never saw Bowe - Lewis though.  That would've been a treat.

The heavyweights were a snooze for most part ever since Lewis - Klitschko.  The Klitschko brothers had a boring stranglehold on the division for too long.

The divisions no where near where it was, but at least it's heading in the right direction.

This year in general has been real good for the sport.  If you get the chance, check out Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux next month on ESPN.  They were widely regarded as 2 of the best amateur boxers in the history of the sport.  Apparently between the 2 of them, they have 859 amateur wins and only 13 losses.  Highly skilled and it'll be a world title fight.

There's a guy at work that's been banging the drum about Lomachenko for a while now; I will keep an eye on that.

The HW division has its ups and downs, and I have drifted away from it post-Lewis. I think simply having been so focused on it for about 15 years meant I lost a lot of that when my favourites retired, and also from the splintering of the HW title. It's still a horrible fact that the last undisputed title fight was almost 19 years ago...and the last undisputed title defence was almost 26 years (Holyfield-Holmes).

But I do still pay attention to the big stuff. Wlad-Joshua was a real big event and good scrap, and I have hopes that finally, finally we might see about getting a Joshua-Wilder fight done. Those two are the standouts for me, with Wlad now out of the picture. I don't think much of Parker, good worker but limited. I think Fury's not coming back. Bellew and Whyte are decent but I wouldn't pick them against Joshua/Wilder. Povetkin is good as well, but he's kinda flunked his big tests, for me. If we can't get a deep division, then at least having one main guy for all the others to line up against would be good to see, rather than 3-4 guys with belts as per usual.