36 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

Place them in a line...Put one against the fuse box and put the other behind it. If they attempt to tank the closer trap, they'll pull out of it and often times end up in the second one, dying in the process. If they tank the trap further from the objective, you'll hear it and know to go there.

I've gotten so many trap kills since the change...So to say that they traps barely* do anything now is ridiculous.

You just can't cheese with them anymore. That's a good thing.

I used to do that pre-patch but now I can't because of the new radius. I can only place one, the second one ends up too far behind that they can just trigger the closest one and avoid the second. 

I used to get trap kills all the time, so many infact that my 'stalker' badge was my third Jason badge to get to level 3. Now I haven't gotten a single one because I don't want to risk wasting one of my 5 traps by putting it a millimeter too far from the phone, rendering it useless to any councillor with eyes. 

52 minutes ago, Alcanx said:

I used to do that pre-patch but now I can't because of the new radius. I can only place one, the second one ends up too far behind that they can just trigger the closest one and avoid the second. 

I used to get trap kills all the time, so many infact that my 'stalker' badge was my third Jason badge to get to level 3. Now I haven't gotten a single one because I don't want to risk wasting one of my 5 traps by putting it a millimeter too far from the phone, rendering it useless to any councillor with eyes. 

It can be a little fussy about letting you place them down, but I assure you, you can place them close enough together for it to work. I hear the trap sound twice quickly and get credit for a kill. Did it twice again yesterday.

10 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

It can be a little fussy about letting you place them down, but I assure you, you can place them close enough together for it to work. I hear the trap sound twice quickly and get credit for a kill. Did it twice again yesterday.

I'll have to try again the next time I play, I currently trap the phone box, the closest window and the door to the phone house. 

I really hate that set-up because that's one more trap than I usually use. Many people spring the door trap early when looting houses and with both car battery's trapped, I have no way of resetting it. It makes the door trap useless and the phone far more open than I'm comfortable with. 

7 minutes ago, Alcanx said:

I'll have to try again the next time I play, I currently trap the phone box, the closest window and the door to the phone house. 

I really hate that set-up because that's one more trap than I usually use. Many people spring the door trap early when looting houses and with both car battery's trapped, I have no way of resetting it. 

Yeah, the meta definitely seems to have shifted to that. I've seen people trapping the doors and go "wtf? lol" because it's pretty useless. That door would be locked 90% of the time anyways, so putting a trap instead does nothing. Players are used to entering through windows.

You're way better off trying to get them closer together at the fuse box. I'll try to get some video and screenshots today. I didn't get a Jason round yesterday in the hour or two I played.

My style as Jason is to completely and utterly camp the phone. I bank on the counselors not bothering to have the sack to utilize the vehicle objectives. Mind you, this strategy does not work against competent counselors or counselors willing to look around for objective items. But again, I've made it a point to not care about 8/8 all the time. I play my way.

It does work against cop rushers though. No matter the Jason.

Step by step.

1. Morph to phone

2. Bust down every door

3. Ignore counselors inside, unless they feel brave

4. Trap phone

5. Trap windows nearest phone since counselors try to get safe quick

6. Sit in Stalk once active, occasionally morph out to see if other objectives have even been bothered with yet.

I notice this strategy works particularly well on Jarvis. Since the devs decided the phone should only spawn at the bottom of the map for some reason. Add in the permanent boat escape that people don't like to utilize because Jason has the water advantage, even negative water speed Jasons. No pocket knives or fireworks, baseball bats can save you from being drowned and that's great. Your only chance is a well timed boat dodge.

This also works when the phone is placed with one of the objective vehicles like on Packanack and Higgins. The counselors tunnel towards you unless they know what your doing and then they just go for the time limit win or the other vehicle objective.

That said yes.

The Devs to their credit noticed the evolution of phone difficulty was needed when the phone became so easy to escape with in Beta. The fuse worked early on post launch, but once most of the players started getting epic thick skin, medic, etc the fuse step has also become less effective. Which led Jasons to stack traps to counter epic perks. Then the devs removed that ability, making the phone a little easier to deal with if you don't camp it.

So in turn, this means the phone probably needs one more additional step. Someone made a point earlier. Other than the time limit win, its the only victory condition that allows everyone to escape, which in turns means it should be even harder. Lets face it, as much as looping/camping for the time limit win is frowned upon, it still requires a bit more skill than the cop call.

The easiest thing to do without getting too crazy is have all the power OFF to start the match. This makes it so in order to call the cops OR Jarvis, the power has to be on for all generators around the map. Or don't have this idea effect the cop call, but definitely the Jarvis call. How many times do players spawn inside the Jarvis radio cabin or just outside it and call Jarvis within 10 seconds? Sure sometimes they miss it or don't even bother with it, but Jason has virtually no chance to even think about pressuring that objective, nor is it important early game.

The other idea is adding an additional objective to get on top of the fuse. Say the fuse box has its own key that allows you to open it, so you can insert the fuse. It might feel a bit too Resident Evil 1,2 and 3 when you had to get 4000 items to open a door or something, but you add just that one additional step, it could make all the difference.

You can't use the fuse until someone uses the key to open it.

1 person likes this

@Alcanx Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about. If they step in the closer trap to the fuse box to tank it, they're dead. The only safe way is to use a pocket knife, and even then, I've seen people clip the second trap when doing the repair animation or afterwards. Hope that helps...

03kaodc.png

3 hours ago, AldermachXI said:

@Alcanx Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about. If they step in the closer trap to the fuse box to tank it, they're dead. The only safe way is to use a pocket knife, and even then, I've seen people clip the second trap when doing the repair animation or afterwards. Hope that helps...

03kaodc.png

I do this too.  You actually can get them real close to one another but not directly on top.  Trap one is you physically walk into phone box and drop trap.  Then step back, turn around, and take baby steps until you can place number two.   Often they will get for two and then number one but those that go for number one often them immediately get number two as its right there and the slight stepping back motion (to kneel) to take off trap puts them right beside kill zone for trap two.  All they have to do is move a little bit that direction and they're caught by two. 

Activated traps (or those disarmed vis pocket knives) do not affect where you can place traps. 

Several times I've had the murder effect from a counselor setting both off, one then the second (generally when I have morphed in and they initiate the oh crap he's here go-go-go).

2 traps for phone, 2 for 4-door, and one in reserve for when a trap goes away. 

On a small map if someone does the find a car part real quick then 1 on 4-door and one on 2-door. 

8 people can escape using phone

4 people can using 4-door

only 2 via boat or 2-door so its a monitor as I can. 

You would be amazed at the battle royale kills you can get from them all gathering and trying to escape with the un-trapped car then you pop in to enjoy lots of kills (yes and lots of stuns... but since they are all together chop away my friends). 

@va_ghost Yep I do the same thing, agree with everything there. Only started using the inline Trap setup recently just from playing around with the distance, and it does indeed work. It takes longer to set up as you have to take baby steps to place the 2nd one like you said, but it's well worth it. Having another trap on the phone makes all the difference, as defense was quite difficult with only one meaningful trap before. 

I see many Jasons still trying to place 3 or 4 who don't realise it's not going to work, and I sidestep those traps all the time. With this method, counselors are forced to interact with 2 traps no matter what.

4 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

@va_ghost Yep I do the same thing, agree with everything there. Only started using the inline Trap setup recently just from playing around with the distance, and it does indeed work. It takes longer to set up as you have to take baby steps to place the 2nd one like you said, but it's well worth it. Having another trap on the phone makes all the difference, as defense was quite difficult with only one meaningful trap before. 

I see many Jasons still trying to place 3 or 4 who don't realise it's not going to work, and I sidestep those traps all the time. With this method, counselors are forced to interact with 2 traps no matter what.

While this is nice if it does work I do feel they increase the distance of where you can place a trap a bit too much. If they wanted to stop people being stun locked into two traps and dying, then my suggestion is they should watch where they're going or not try to tank two damned traps. You should fear stepping in them, not be running in head first wanting to tank five of them. 

On 11/15/2017 at 2:46 PM, pilospc said:

PS a replay to aurllcooljay you can still call the police with no power power isn't needed to call the police so sorry but your statement is in error.  "Don't forget you can take out the generator powering the cabin with the phone and trap that too." This is wrong and untrue to bad it's not true tho.

I was definitely misinformed about that. Saw video a while back where the guy playing Jason started by trapping the generator closest to the phone. Guess some people assumed taking out the power would also affect the phone.

Before I wouldn't have placed more than one trap at the phone, but with the recent Jason changes and Tommy pocket knife spawn, don't think I'll try to play fairly as Jason anymore. After I trap the phone I'll break some windows and doors until morph is available again.

The first thing I do is trap the phone. The second thing I do is bust down the door(s) and locate where the phone is so I can get to it immediately when they bypass the trap. If you don’t do this then it is going to take you twice as long to bust open the doors after they lock it and by then it’ll be too late.