Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deathbat96777

If There's Ever A Sequel

31 posts in this topic

If they ever make a sequel to this game, what would you guys like to see and how would you want it to be different? For me personally, I would rather they wait and put the game out when it's entirely finished so that we don't get it in spontaneous, random updates, and I would like for all the bugs to be fixed beforehand, even if it takes them a whole extra year to do so. I would also like for them to try to work with New Line Cinema so they could use the Jasons we can't have in this game, so maybe instead of having the first nine or so Jasons, this game would have all the newer Jasons instead because of the different licensing rights, so in this new game, we would get the Jason from the versus film, with a toggable skin that has the claw marks and battle damage, two different Jasons from the remake with one having the cornsack and then the hockey mask one, and as silly as it sounds, I think the Jason from Mortal Kombat would be cool to have, but with a different face design. Also make it where single player is actually story mode, and it's a game where you play as Pamela and start the fires, poison the water, kill the counselors in 57, then you do a series of missions where you basically replay the first movie as a game. 

I'm looking through the DSM-5 to see what fits you best.

I know "comedian" wouldn't

2 people like this

I'd rather they fix what's out right now instead of worrying about the future to be honest.

1 person likes this

I'm bringing it up with the assumption that it would be a long time away. I'm not hoping for a new one any time soon either. They would have to get their stuff together before they tackle a sequel. I'm just hoping they will have their master crafted by then. They have a long ways to go. 

Man, before the game came out I made mention of the fact that a sequel will be able to improve upon everything the game has going for it while implementing all the things people want, and got thoroughly ridiculed on the boards for like two days straight. Mostly cause the majority don't understand software programming design, but its whatever. Either way, this game has probably been Gun and Illfonic's most successful title and has already broken 2mil in sales. Assuming they get to hang on to the license, a sequel is almost guaranteed to happen in the next 2-3 years at this point. As for what it will entail, they'll get a chance to recreate and clean up the textures and character models. They'll also be able to put better details into the little things like better kill animations. They'll be able to design levels that implement new gameplay mechanics, like hopefully more than one way to kill Jason... I'd personally like to see a more evolved and cleaner battle system. One where counselors have a weak and strong attack when in battle stance and Jason has a counter button that will break the counselors weapon if he times it right. I'd also like a better grab system where the players have to push specific buttons to fill their break away meter (think like a quick time event) and the meter fills slower the more damage they have so Jason is encourage to damage them a little before the grab so he can get an easier chance to do the environmental kills. 

@Ralph Wiggum777

Couldn't they just make those adjustments in THIS game? Why do they need an entirely different game to fix the issues?

2 people like this

15 minutes ago, Truth said:

@Ralph Wiggum777

Couldn't they just make those adjustments in THIS game? Why do they need an entirely different game to fix the issues?

Updating graphical textures and character animations is a lot of work, and changing the fighting system has the potential to mess up the balance the maps have been built around up to this point. From a business perspective (this is where most people started getting mad at me), those things become less cost effective to implement as time goes on because less and less people are buying the game anymore. People don't like to hear that the game they bought will eventually stop being supported, but that's just how software dev works. There's no point in them spending $50,000 to pay for some motion capture animations for a couple of new kills if the game is only selling 400-500 copies a month or less. For example, Halo 1 could've patched the ability to dual wield weapons and carry the energy sword, but instead Bungie implemented it into Halo 2, because after a while they need to start designing their next revenue producing product. On average, games only get a year to 18 months of support before the devs start working on their next game. Not saying they won't still patch issues, but they'll hold on to new maps, gameplay ideas, and characters for the next game. Hell, it's highly possible there's some things they might want to implement just aren't possible with the current code and will need a rewrite to allow them to do it. As I said before, I'm not saying they're just gonna quit this game tomorrow and start making a sequel, I'm just saying that eventually the code potential and earning potential of the title gets tapped and the only choice they'll have is to start looking to develop a new product to sell to people. 

1 person likes this

@Ralph Wiggum777

That makes sense. Especially with newer, more advanced systems coming out. I guess at some point it's better to start from scratch. They would REALLY have to redeem themselves with this game before making another one though. No one will buy it if this one still has issues...

Just now, Truth said:

@Ralph Wiggum777

That makes sense. Especially with newer, more advanced systems coming out. I guess at some point it's better to start from scratch. They would REALLY have to redeem themselves with this game before making another one though. No one will buy it if this one still has issues...

That's the beauty of a sequel is their code will already have much of the bugs worked out of it by the time they develop the next game, so they can focus on improving the graphics and gameplay instead. Plus this was a major success for them, so they'll have added funds to higher a couple new programmers to ensure they're not overwhelmed and can actually hit their time frames during the next development cycle. I'm actually looking forward to them making a sequel, cause in all honesty, I think it will be much closer to the game everyone wanted this one to be. I almost look at this as GTA3 to what GTA eventually became with Vice City and beyond. GTA3 was cool, and had some really good ideas, but not a whole lot of quality storytelling or purpose behind all the chaos. Then with Vice City, Rockstar was able to actually hire pro voice actors and spend more money to really flesh out the overall experience. 

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

That's the beauty of a sequel is their code will already have much of the bugs worked out of it by the time they develop the next game, so they can focus on improving the graphics and gameplay instead. Plus this was a major success for them, so they'll have added funds to higher a couple new programmers to ensure they're not overwhelmed and can actually hit their time frames during the next development cycle. I'm actually looking forward to them making a sequel, cause in all honesty, I think it will be much closer to the game everyone wanted this one to be. I almost look at this as GTA3 to what GTA eventually became with Vice City and beyond. GTA3 was cool, and had some really good ideas, but not a whole lot of quality storytelling or purpose behind all the chaos. Then with Vice City, Rockstar was able to actually hire pro voice actors and spend more money to really flesh out the overall experience. 

Makes sense to me... I don't know why you got so much shit for that.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Truth said:

Mostly cause the game wasn't even out yet, so people were not all that enthusiastic about hearing the potential awesomeness of a sequel before they even had a chance to play the first game... :D

That said, I'm calling it now. Friday the 13th The Game Part 2 - Spring 2020. 

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

Mostly cause the game wasn't even out yet, so people were not all that enthusiastic about hearing the potential awesomeness of a sequel before they even had a chance to play the first game... :D

Ok that kind of makes sense too lol

@Ralph Wiggum777

I think it's unlikely, or at least very much up in the air, due to the current legal battles, etc. I personally wouldn't bet on it.

Unrelated but I'm not all that interested in a sequel. I'm unsure what more they could really do and if they could effectively do it anyway.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

That seems like a fair time line. Wonder how much of the player base will be around. I know for certain I'll be here. I enjoy playing the survival aspect of it, trying to "outwit".

23 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Unrelated but I'm not all that interested in a sequel

I am not interested in a sequel either. I'd rather they fix and improve on what we got. I maybe in the minority here, but I'd like to see other slashers in the game as well for some variety on the game.

1 person likes this

Heh....Freddy. Ash. Leatherface. All have been saddled with Jason in some media form or other. Friday and friends....no wait...super fiends.

4 hours ago, bewareofbears said:

@Ralph Wiggum777

I think it's unlikely, or at least very much up in the air, due to the current legal battles, etc. I personally wouldn't bet on it.

Unrelated but I'm not all that interested in a sequel. I'm unsure what more they could really do and if they could effectively do it anyway.

Like legal battles for the Friday franchise or legal battles for the game devs? 

And there's plenty more they can do with a sequel. They can make a fully developed single player for starters, not just some arcade style challenges. Revamped graphics engine that actually looks like it's from this current gen of consoles. A Last of Us style crafting system in the multiplayer so people can make whatever items they want by finding parts rather than just finding whatever's in each cabin and being stuck with it. More complex maps with multiple ways to kill Jason (I feel like the barn in Packanack is perfect for this, but sadly doesn't exist). Allow Jason to place more interesting traps like trip wire between trees or spikes out second story windows. Those are just a few of the ideas I can think of. 

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

Like legal battles for the Friday franchise or legal battles for the game devs? 

And there's plenty more they can do with a sequel. They can make a fully developed single player for starters, not just some arcade style challenges. Revamped graphics engine that actually looks like it's from this current gen of consoles. A Last of Us style crafting system in the multiplayer so people can make whatever items they want by finding parts rather than just finding whatever's in each cabin and being stuck with it. More complex maps with multiple ways to kill Jason (I feel like the barn in Packanack is perfect for this, but sadly doesn't exist). Allow Jason to place more interesting traps like trip wire between trees or spikes out second story windows. Those are just a few of the ideas I can think of. 

Keep them coming! I like what I'm seeing here!

One other idea that I had was to give weapons 3 levels that can be increased using CP, just like Jason can buy new kills using CP. If you really like using the baseball bat, level it up to 2 and it will have some barbed wire, or go to lvl 3 and it will be metal instead of wood so it breaks slower. Get a kick out of using the wood ax? Well, level 1 can start as a hatchet, level 2 turns into a full length with a wood handle, level 3 adds a metal handle for better longevity. This keeps the randomness of finding weapons around the campsite, but allows for players to improve the items they play best with based on the counselors they like to play with most often. They could even do it with the guns. Level 1 the player might have a shaky hand so it's harder to aim, level 2 he's steady but still only one shot, level 3 gives them an extra bullet to use. They could still have the perk roll system for statistical boosts if they wanted, although I'd rather they implement those into clothing to encourage people to play with different character variations. That would get rid of having to see three blue sweat suit Vanessa's running around all the time. Again, just some thoughts that I was thinking would improve the gameplay mechanics and make the game a little more engaging and tense. 

5 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

Is this the type of game that warrants a sequel though? 

GTA is a theme that things can be molded to. F13 is very specific and so much has been implemented that you really can't do much to make a completely new version feel fresh. It would just be an expanded version of what we already have. I don't see a game like this working like a Halo or COD does.

What they really should do is update F13 to the new Unreal version, clean it up and add as much as they can and then leave it.  They should be campaigning hard to get the Nightmare on Elm Street licence (or any comparable franchise killer) and make that their next game. Then, maybe, you can consider an F13 Pt 2.

19 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

Is this the type of game that warrants a sequel though? 

GTA is a theme that things can be molded to. F13 is very specific and so much has been implemented that you really can't do much to make a completely new version feel fresh. It would just be an expanded version of what we already have. I don't see a game like this working like a Halo or COD does.

What they really should do is update F13 to the new Unreal version, clean it up and add as much as they can and then leave it.  They should be campaigning hard to get the Nightmare on Elm Street licence (or any comparable franchise killer) and make that their next game. Then, maybe, you can consider an F13 Pt 2.

To answer your question Jones, Rocket League is a sequel.... If cars playing soccer can warrant a sequel, so can this. And Rocket League is further evidence that even a mediocre first title and release a stellar sequel a few years later. What about after five years passes and this console gen has moved on? Would it not be worth making a sequel that takes advantage of the new consoles power and evolves the gameplay mechanics? And from a business perspective, people don't just make a game that sells over 2 million copies and "just leave it". It's hard enough making a successful title, let alone making one and then just walking away from it. 

As for that last suggestion. getting licenses isn't as easy as just asking politely. The odds are that the Nightmare license would be way to cost prohibitive for them to afford. Remember, they got this licenses for free because Sean Cunningham liked their game model, but I'm not confident that will be the case if they make a sequel. They'll probably have to work out something financially with him and the other IP holders. More importantly, there's nothing saying they can't do both simultaneously if they somehow did secure the Nightmare rights. There's no rule that game companies can only make one game at a time...

I'd be real surprised if this isn't their last game.  Seriously.  It has been.....well, a nightmare for consumers since launch.  I don't think a lot of people would be willing to bet on either company again. 

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

Man, before the game came out I made mention of the fact that a sequel will be able to improve upon everything the game has going for it while implementing all the things people want, and got thoroughly ridiculed on the boards for like two days straight. Mostly cause the majority don't understand software programming design, but its whatever.

Most sequels improve on the original. There are a few exceptions. A sequel for this game has potential.

9 hours ago, Truth said:

We know the reputation of this forum. People dumping over any idea, no matter how unique.

9 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

I'll keep Spring 2020 open... :)

21 hours ago, Maddogg_8121 said:

I'd be real surprised if this isn't their last game.  Seriously.  It has been.....well, a nightmare for consumers since launch.  I don't think a lot of people would be willing to bet on either company again. 

Illfonic already released a game three months after this completed... And seeing as how Friday has sold over 2,000,000 copies, I really doubt this is going to be their last game. That's $80,000,000 in net revenue. Even after taxes and overhead costs to Microsoft/Sony/Steam and the disc shipments they still pocketed $20-25mil easily. Illfonic and Gun produced this game with like 25% of that kind of budget... As far as consumer trust, they aren't going to need them to Kickstart the next game so the trust issue isn't really a worry. As long as their next game comes out and gets solid reviews, consumers will jump in. 

46 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum777 said:

Illfonic already released a game three months after this completed... And seeing as how Friday has sold over 2,000,000 copies, I really doubt this is going to be their last game. That's $80,000,000 in net revenue. Even after taxes and overhead costs to Microsoft/Sony/Steam and the disc shipments they still pocketed $20-25mil easily. Illfonic and Gun produced this game with like 25% of that kind of budget... As far as consumer trust, they aren't going to need them to Kickstart the next game so the trust issue isn't really a worry. As long as their next game comes out and gets solid reviews, consumers will jump in. 

I can say I won't be one of them.  They have not shown me they know what they are doing.  They come off as an amateur company practicing to be a real company.  I can't support them in their future endeavors.  

1 person likes this