Yayson

Suggestion about how to limit extended looping.

6 posts in this topic

Well, we've all experienced it; Jason chasing a councilor around the same table or, to a lesser extent, windows, making the game look more like an episode of Fawlty Towers than a horror game, and also really boring to watch for all the deceased characters players. How about if a prolonged close proximity to Jason leads to:

even greater risk of stumbling
even a risk or falling(!!!)
even faster loss of endurance,
wonkier steering?

This way, extended proximity to Jason will be deadlier, creating less feeling of control for the councilors. - Feelings of too much control in a horror game takes away the fear imo.

1 person likes this

Yeah, practice your shift grab, use stalk, use your knives, maybe even your weapon? There's plenty of ways to prevent looping.

5 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

Use Shift+Grab problem solved.

Nope. You'll rarely get a good player using this tactic if they're effective at looping. That means good stamina management, good use of environment, and good prediction. For any looping around furniture or a car, there are 2 good methods, the first works better for outside and the second works better for inside -

The first is guaranteed but takes patience - activate Shift and then just do laps around whatever object they're looping. Shift the full amount, don't end early because you're likely to miss. They will sprint the whole time and use a chunk of stamina, then afterwards keep playing their little ring around the Rosie game and keep them moving. Don't change direction, just keep following them. Soon enough they will be either out of stamina and good to grab / slash, or realise they're going to lose it soon and run off. Rising Fear level also decreases stamina regen.

The second method is not guaranteed, but is still a whole lot better than trying to Shift Grab them out of a loop. It's very easy, you just Shift into whatever object they are looping. Don't move, just keep Shifting into it and then grab out of it when they are close enough. If it's a tight space in a cabin you can shift into a wall or corner as well, depending on the layout. This method was more effective when Jason had a longer grab, but it can still work.

A raw Shift Grab is usually not going to work in these situations, and cause you to waste Shift's stamina drain potential, as most players will try to grab at the first opportunity they get, ending Shift early, and still missing the grab. This means the counselor can just play their game for longer. If you're playing against new - average players you can still have success with it, but anyone experienced and skilled is not going to be an easy catch this way.

Against looping in and out of cabins, Stalk is the best method but that probably deserves its own post on how to use it effectively.

PS: Throwing knives can also speed up the process but do require some prediction and precision against good players who are skilled at dodging them.

I used to dread loopers, now I like em. They're fun to catch.

I don't think anything needs to be done to it. 

On Crystal Lake today, I had a Vanessa trying to loop me around the shooting range. I was chasing her through the middle of it, and when she got to the end she made a right turn to go around again. I continued to run towards her, giving her the impression that I was gonna try to grab her from behind. So I hit my shift but made a U-turn instead and went around the other way and grabbed her right in her face!!

You have to think like a boxer when you play as Jason. You wanna make moves that forces your opponent to end up in a position that you're already prepared for.

For instance, a window looper. (Now, a lot of this can depend on the size of the cabin and whether your Jason has -Shift, and if they unfortunately see you shift on their mini map). A counselor is in a cabin. I break the door down, I walk in the cabin and they go out the window. I walk outside, they go back in the window.

Now, what I want them to do is go out the window again. I wanna make them think that I'm going to shift into the cabin towards them. I do this by walking out of the cabin, making it look obvious that I'm planning to shift. Or I give a little stare down for a second and inch my way into the cabin towards the counselor, but staying close to the door. In both scenarios, once I hit shift, I go out of the cabin to the outside of the window, where a lot of the times the looper will leap out of the window giving me even more time to grab them.  

1 person likes this

The car animation grab mentioned in the other thread would work wonders.

Plus I find trolls/people who play the loopathon always have a plethora of pocket knives, so they could give a shit if you happen to grab them with shift/grab.

Fix melee/combat stance/buff range would do wonders.