15 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me if this in an intended feature or a bug I am seeing on PC? When I have a walkie talkie and I am inside a cabin and another player with a walkie talks I hear their voice, but it sounds like they are in a giant room and there is a big echo/Reverb sound effect on their voice. As soon as I am outside their voices sound fine, but when inside I hear this effect. It does not happen if another player inside my cabin does not have a walkie. Their voice comes through normal. Is this a bug or is this just how the game works on pc? Is anyone else seeing this issue?

It's an attempt to make it sound like you're in the cabin, but the reverb is so big that it doesn't match the visual, so it ends up sounding out of place and distracting. And it doesn't just happen with the walkie. It also happens if someone without a walkie is in the cabin with you, talking to you.

If they really wanted to go crazy, they would find or build a structure matching the cabin, and then take an impulse response of it. That would all be predicated on whether the Unreal Engine supports convolution reverb. 

1 person likes this

Thank you very much for responding. I posted this on reddit and they told me it was my sound card and acted like they didn’t know what I was talking about. Thank you for telling me this is intentional. I personally do find it annoying though. I primarily play on PS4 and it does not do this effect so I was so confused to hear it happening on PC. 

You're welcome.

And that's interesting that it's not on PS4.

Unless it's done right, they should probably remove it altogether or turn it noticeably down (but not off). We should feel it more than hear it.

These are my suggestions:

Convolution reverb that will give you an accurate reproduction of a space's ambiance.

Or, tweak existing reverb settings until it feels more connected. I suggest calling in a professional audio engineer or sound designer. Reverb can be a bitch.

Or, turn the reverb down. Even though the settings are off, turning it down could sometimes be enough to make things fit better.  

I’m surprised more people haven’t talked about it. I can’t find anything about this anywhere. Yeah it’s not on PS4 whatsoever. I wish that they would remove it on PC or at least have it be an option that you could toggle on and off. 

never heard it on the Ps4. Curious if its a walkie talkie how come we can't hear it, if we dont have one and standing next to the player who does? Standing next to someone even if its turned down low, should STILL be able to hear something. IF I can hear someone in the cabin next to me opening a damn desk draw, I can certainly hear people on the talkie :)

unless its assumed there is a wire and an ear piece, but I don't think those features were available back then, unless it was an expensive Walkie, these seem like common ever day camper type.

18 minutes ago, Punisher_2099 said:

never heard it on the Ps4. Curious if its a walkie talkie how come we can't hear it, if we dont have one and standing next to the player who does? Standing next to someone even if its turned down low, should STILL be able to hear something. IF I can hear someone in the cabin next to me opening a damn desk draw, I can certainly hear people on the talkie :)

unless its assumed there is a wire and an ear piece, but I don't think those features were available back then, unless it was an expensive Walkie, these seem like common ever day camper type.

We're talking about reverb.

On PC they add reverb to people's mics when they are in a cabin. So If 2 people with mics, but without walkie talkies, are in a cabin and talking to each other, you'll hear reverb on their voices. If you are in a cabin with a walkie and someone on the other side of the map with a walkie starts talking, you'll hear reverb on their voice. 

1 minute ago, WashingtonJones said:

We're talking about reverb.

On PC they add reverb to people's mics when they are in a cabin. So If 2 people with mics, but without walkie talkies, are in a cabin and talking to each other, you'll hear reverb on their voices. If you are in a cabin with a walkie and someone on the other side of the map with a walkie starts talking, you'll hear reverb on their voice. 

ah okay, sorry about that.

8 minutes ago, Truth said:

Well @WashingtonJones doesn't hear it on the PS4 and I don't hear it on xbox. I'd say it's a pc thing.

Yeah it doesn’t happen on PS4 and that is why I noticed it because I play both. I want to know if it is intended on PC though because of PC capabilities or if it will be patched out?

Just now, The Sheriff said:

Yeah it doesn’t happen on PS4 and that is why I noticed it because I play both. I want to know if it is intended on PC though because of PC capabilities or if it will be patched out?

Oh, I got it.

@[IllFonic]Courier?

I know you're probably getting sick of me tagging you...

It's intentional.

As a common example, I can only think of something like a Mario game, where he'll go into a cave or underground level, and when you'd hear his jump sound or any sound he makes, there would be reverb on it to make it sound like he's in a cave. 

Most of the time you won't notice it because it's set properly for the environment. It makes sense so your brain doesn't question it.

The reverb in F13's cabins is set somewhere between room and cave. It's unnatural sounding so it grabs your attention more. 

What doesn't make sense is why it's not on the consoles. That should be a fairly easy thing to do. And I believe reverb is built into the Unreal Engine.

25 minutes ago, WashingtonJones said:

It's intentional.

As a common example, I can only think of something like a Mario game, where he'll go into a cave or underground level, and when you'd hear his jump sound or any sound he makes, there would be reverb on it to make it sound like he's in a cave. 

Most of the time you won't notice it because it's set properly for the environment. It makes sense so your brain doesn't question it.

The reverb in F13's cabins is set somewhere between room and cave. It's unnatural sounding so it grabs your attention more. 

What doesn't make sense is why it's not on the consoles. That should be a fairly easy thing to do. And I believe reverb is built into the Unreal Engine.

Interesting. Thanks for your input. In its current state I hope they do not add it to console and remove it from PC if they can not make it sound better than it does. It is rather annoying to me obviously lol.