FART_SMUCKER

I'm new and its probably been asked for but...

19 posts in this topic

For the love of god....remove two of the three tables or something please?! I had to sit and watch another tommy, who isn't supposed to survive basically, play another round of ring-around-the-rosey with what was a damn good jason. The guy playing jason im sure was rolling his eyes right out of his head as was I. Please fix this *sobs*

Untitled.jpg

Yeah that trick gets old really fast... Unfortunately it is a valid strategy and tends to work.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Fooobar said:

Jason should be able to smash furniture.

I like your thinking. But what would the REAL Jason do? Rather than smash it (like a video game character tends to default to), I think he'd THROW it out of the way. THAT would be very Jason, very Friday the 13th, and very awesome.

3 people like this

Just now, Cokeyskunk said:

I like your thinking. But what would the REAL Jason do? Rather than smash it (like a video game character tends to default to), I think he'd THROW it out of the way. THAT would be very Jason, very Friday the 13th, and very awesome.

I'm fine with throw :)

1 person likes this

Yeah they actually said that smashing the table would be a lot of work to implement into the game, but why not add the ability for Jason to just throw the table? It's so simple. 

1 minute ago, Fooobar said:

I'm fine with throw :)

Just imagine: approach any table, chair, couch, etc. and the action option comes up. WHAM! It flies against the wall.

Two things would have to happen, though:

1. After the objects bounce off the walls and land, they'd *still* have to be throwable by Jason -- or else the trolls will just goad Jason to throw a table, then once it's thrown (and non-rethrowable), the "all around the mulberry bush" game commences around it.
  2. If Jason throws a set of drawers with an item in it, the item would have to fall out when he throws it -- or else Jason trolls could simply go into every house, destroy all the drawers, and the players would have no chance to get the items. But making the items fall out would make Jasons want to keep the throwing conservative -- as leaving items on the floor (and perhaps even as icons on the mini-map) would only be advantageous to the counselors.

36 minutes ago, PrestonDelRey said:

Yeah they actually said that smashing the table would be a lot of work to implement into the game, but why not add the ability for Jason to just throw the table? It's so simple. 

It's still a lot of programming. Each individual item on the table would have to fly off and land somewhere without getting in the way of a door or window. I'm pretty sure they even said it was too much work.

1 hour ago, Truth said:

It's still a lot of programming. Each individual item on the table would have to fly off and land somewhere without getting in the way of a door or window. I'm pretty sure they even said it was too much work.

I didn't think about that. But I'm sure it's possible.

Just now, PrestonDelRey said:

I didn't think about that. But I'm sure it's possible.

More than likely yes. But is it worth the time it will take? Maybe in the long run, but right now there's more important things to be addressed. I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually.

On 11/12/2017 at 4:04 PM, FART_SMUCKER said:

For the love of god....remove two of the three tables or something please?! I had to sit and watch another tommy, who isn't supposed to survive basically, play another round of ring-around-the-rosey with what was a damn good jason. The guy playing jason im sure was rolling his eyes right out of his head as was I. Please fix this *sobs*

Untitled.jpg

This and the constant window loops is what made me not want to play Jason at all. If I get selected as him, I barely care. I'll stay and not quit as I know there are people out there that still care for getting XP.. most of the 101 players normally bail when they aren't Jason anyhow.

1 person likes this

Although this works well on newer Jasons or someone that doesnt run into this regularly, its not impossible to deter, but it is a bit time consuming depending. Its all a matter of making sure you keep the pressure on by going the same direction.

1.Remember, they will run out of Stam, Jason however will not.

2.If you are going to try and trip them up with a shift inside, be sure that youve had some practice dodging around obstacles, this can be harder for Jasons with +Shift.

3. If you do Shift inside, dont prematurely exit. Be sure to use the whole duration as it will keep the counselor "panicked" and therefore constantly moving to try and guess where you'll end up. 
4. If they jump out a window, keep the pressure on. Know your Morph Grid spawns if you have to morph outside (I wouldnt recommend. Only use as a last resort) or just try to hustle getting to the otherside.

5. Stalk helps a lot in these situations as well. Yes they know youre already there, but you can keep them guessing if youre inside or outside.
6. Be weary of breaking windows. If someone is willing to take the time to run you around like this, its likely that theyre the same kind of person that would commit suicide on a broken window.

7. To help with 6 be sure youre keeping up with throwing knives. Fun Fact: Even if a counselor is on their last tick of damage and theyre going through a broken window, if you tag them with a knife, youll still get the kill even if it doesnt look like it half the time.

On 14/11/2017 at 1:47 AM, Fooobar said:

Jason should be able to smash furniture.

Then that gives the counsellor more room to do it

This could be solved within the existing Fear/stumble mechanic. They could make work this way:

1. Counselor's accumulate Fear at an increased rate when within 10m of Jason AND have line of sight to him.

2. Stumble chance increases with Fear level. As far as we can tell there are three levels of Fear beyond "no fear".  At max you lose your mini-map.

3. Make it so at Fear level 2 or 3, each stumble has a chance to result in a fall down. Stumble chance and fall down chance increase by a certain % the longer a counselor remains within 10m and has line of sight to Jason. The fall down would require a QTE based on Composure to get up / or a button mash if you want to make it simple and quick.  Essentially, you'd have a cool movie dynamic of the "fall down while being chased" trope, but add a functional way of stopping looping without creating new breakable/moveable assets.

4. It would certainly make Fear management a bigger concern as well.

5. I also suspect we'd need a change of underwear more often when that stereotypical fall happens and Jason is hot on your rear end.

EDIT: Oh and to be clear. I'd still love to have breakable/moveable assets too. :)

6 hours ago, Alkavian said:

This could be solved within the existing Fear/stumble mechanic. They could make work this way:

1. Counselor's accumulate Fear at an increased rate when within 10m of Jason AND have line of sight to him.

2. Stumble chance increases with Fear level. As far as we can tell there are three levels of Fear beyond "no fear".  At max you lose your mini-map.

3. Make it so at Fear level 2 or 3, each stumble has a chance to result in a fall down. Stumble chance and fall down chance increase by a certain % the longer a counselor remains within 10m and has line of sight to Jason. The fall down would require a QTE based on Composure to get up / or a button mash if you want to make it simple and quick.  Essentially, you'd have a cool movie dynamic of the "fall down while being chased" trope, but add a functional way of stopping looping without creating new breakable/moveable assets.

4. It would certainly make Fear management a bigger concern as well.

5. I also suspect we'd need a change of underwear more often when that stereotypical fall happens and Jason is hot on your rear end.

EDIT: Oh and to be clear. I'd still love to have breakable/moveable assets too. :)

Mashing X to recover from a fall while Jason is right behind you? I can see it now...a Youtube user by the name of BedBananas has a Friday the 13th video where at approximately the 12:25 mark, it looks like he slips and falls out of the window.

If there were to be a "fall" mechanic, then I would want it to look and sound it does at 12:25. Laughs would be had and tears would be shed.

Furniture destruction / throwing would take a lot of work to implement, and would likely be prone to physics problems. Increased stumbling / falling is also just a further loss of character control, which simply isn't a good thing. I've always been of the opinion stumble should just be removed entirely from the game, since all it does is allow Jason a free kill if it randomly occurs during combat, no matter how skilled you are. It doesn't actually help towards Jason chasing counselors down (that's Stamina's role).

So what to do? Firstly this ring around the Rosie tactic should never last too long. Mainly what is required is to never allow the counselor to stop moving. Instead of trying to predict which direction they will go, just keep following them around in the same direction non-stop. This is for stamina drain. With Shift available, you can also try Shifting into the object (table, car, whatever) and grab them as soon as they're close to you, as they will think you're chasing them and inevitably sprint around the object into you. Failing that, just leave Shift on for the full duration and watch them deplete their stamina. With some patience, you will be able to catch right up to them and make your move.

However, If I had to suggest an ability to directly counter these counselor tactics, I think that a short speed boost ability could potentially work for Jason. I'm thinking of something similar to Jason's startup animation for his X-Ray in MKX, where he fast walks towards the opponent with his arm out. You can view it Here for reference. Jason would basically target the counselor with a short but significant speed boost, which would have cooldown of course. Holding his arm out could function as a grab providing he catches the counselor in time. I think it would help towards empowering Jason a little more as it would be a good looking and useful feature for him.

Just an idea, but the way I approach changes to fix an inadequacy in gameplay is to add rather than subtract. Don't subtract from counselor mobility (loss of character control is bad), but add to Jason's abilities to better deal with these situations.

4 hours ago, Tommy86 said:

Furniture destruction / throwing would take a lot of work to implement, and would likely be prone to physics problems. Increased stumbling / falling is also just a further loss of character control, which simply isn't a good thing. I've always been of the opinion stumble should just be removed entirely from the game, since all it does is allow Jason a free kill if it randomly occurs during combat.

This isn't a first-person shooter where precision control is needed at all times. It is a, "what would it be like to be in a horror movie" game. Those stumbles/falls while the killer is coming is all part of building tension and the atmosphere in a horror movie. It actually makes more sense to have them in this type of game than not. The game occasionally snatching a modicum of control from the player to make them squeal and freak out is absolutely O.K. Don't get me wrong, at other times the controls for both Jason and counselors should be crisp and not clunky.

To be honest, I find the combat in this game to be trash. It has no elegance or fluidity.

@Alkavian I get where you're coming from, but at the same time I just don't think stumble is necessary for building tension/atmosphere, we already have enough elements that contribute to that without requiring a random mechanic that simply gets in the way. Counselors are already affected by Fear, damage and stamina drain which provides tension by making them more vulnerable and allowing Jason to close in.

We also have the reaction to dead bodies, which is something I'm fine with except if Jason is in vicinity to you or you are engaging him in combat, as this also gets counselors killed by taking away their controls. This happened just the other match, the counselor was doing a good job of escaping me but as soon as they were stopped because of the body, it was all over. That's what snatching a modicum of control can end in. It's just cheap honestly, I didn't earn the kill and they couldn't do anything about it.

Sure it's not a first-person shooter, I'm not asking for that kind of precision, but we have more than enough RNG in this game and I don't think randomly occurring mechanics like these provide anything valuable. They just remove player skill as a factor on the outcome of a match. I think it's important to remember that this is a game, and not everything from the movies is always going to translate well to gameplay (which should take precedence).

41 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

To be honest, I find the combat in this game to be trash. It has no elegance or fluidity.

Definitely agree with you there.