Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheHansonGoons

Homonym help

16 posts in this topic

In the forums, there are plenty of heated discussions, arguments and such. Nothing hurts your argument more than using improper homonyms. I want to provide a few homonyms in hopes of educating a few people here. To start, a homonym is a word that sounds the same, but has different spelling and meaning.

First and foremost: your, you're.

Your is possessive, as in "Your hair looks nice." "Your pc is better than mine". "Your opinions and suggestions suck".

You're is actually you are. Example: "you're dying."  "You're wrong. You're ignorant."

Let's move on to they're, there, their.

First, they're, meaning, they are. "The devs recognize the flaws in balancing and they're going to address them". "They're looking into dedicated servers." "If @bewareofbears or @Brigadius say anything negative, they're going to get banned for simply expressing legitimate concerns". " @Risinggrave and @GhostWolfViking want to play but they're going to decide who hosts."

There is to describe a place. "I found the gas, it's over there", or a time/place. "There will be dedicated servers in the future. As soon as my Delorian gets the flux capacitor fixed." 

Now for their. Their is possessive to groups. "If Gun wants to admit glue issues are holding back backers from getting what they were promised, that is their mistake". " @Jawbone, @Truen1ghtmare, and @Jokesonu! seem like they don't spend much time ruminating over their responses to threads." 

Next, I want to discuss then and than. Then is more of describing a time for something to occur, whereas than is a comparison word.

" My woman is hogging the tv right now. She should be going to bed soon. Then I will hop on." "If they don't put out a new patch soon, then they will lose more players". Side note here, had my English teacher girlfriend proofread this and she was not happy with the previous remark. ? cheers to you angel for being a good sport!

"I liked the previous patch better than the last one".  "If you actually think that, you are more ignorant than I thought". 

Now for to, too, two. Clearly two is the number, I won't go into depth about it since we all have keypads. For the to and too homonyms:

To, means where it goes or leads to. Points to a direction. " If they don't make serious changes, I am going to quit playing and supporting this game". "I will be upset if they release more goofy 80s dlc's, but I am sure they're going to". "If this thread gets derailed, @JPops is going to close it". "The mods are here to regulate forums".

Too means also. " @AldermachXI mentioned some fantastic ideas for level progression. I am for these ideas too." " @LuckyDrunkTed recently came back. @Rexfellis did too. This makes me happy". "I feel strongly against what you said and @Tattooey does too". " @lHeartBreakerl is probably the best Jason I know, but @Alkavian is solid too".

Sorry to whomever I tagged in here if it annoys you. Trying to sprinkle a little humor in why getting a point across. Admittedly, I messed up quote a few quotation marks and periods, but the focus here is homonyms and proper spellings to validate your arguments.

RGFHmbk.jpg

t10754R.jpg

yLwifqG.jpg

SuU3wEA.gif

6 people like this

Thanks for taking time out of you're day to make a topic. :D

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, Jawbone said:

Thanks for taking time out of you're day to make a topic. :D

Lol thank you, and appreciate you taking a joke, even with a facetious response. Hahaha hugs and kisses!

@TheHansonGoons Think you so much for mentioning me in you're post. I am a grammar nazi to. I can't stand it when people can't grasp the simple concept of your and you're, to two, and too, or their, they're and there. Them people or just to stupid to realize their looking dum. Hope your having a grate day.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Rexfellis said:

@TheHansonGoons Think you so much for mentioning me in you're post. I am a grammar nazi to. I can't stand it when people can't grasp the simple concept of your and you're, to two, and too, or their, they're and there. Them people or just to stupid to realize their looking dum. Hope your having a grate day.

lol that post made my blood boil :P

3 people like this

10 minutes ago, AldermachXI said:

lol that post made my blood boil :P

I aim to please, sir. :lol:

As a person who reads alot, and I write as a hobby. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me, i'm no high level intellectual but for god's sake... The amount of yur, and sup people use bugs the shit outta me. Lol

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Redrum138 said:

As a person who reads alot, and I write as a hobby. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me, i'm no high level intellectual but for god's sake... The amount of yur, and sup people use bugs the shit outta me. Lol

I had enough of reading "your" when people meant "you're" one day. It was this thread or an aneurysm. Haha kind of a catharcism. 

Also, can we all agree on learning to spell counselor? I was frustrated about this a while ago and @lHeartBreakerl said something about it. Felt good to know other people have been getting frustrated with that as well. Especially when they spell it for you in game...?

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, TheHansonGoons said:

I had enough of reading "your" when people meant "you're" one day. It was this thread or an aneurysm. Haha kind of a catharcism. 

Also, can we all agree on learning to spell counselor? I was frustrated about this a while ago and @lHeartBreakerl said something about it. Felt good to know other people have been getting frustrated with that as well. Especially when they spell it for you in game...?

The thing is that I see more people spelling it wrong than right. Makes me start questioning if I'm wrong and then I have to go check the dictionary just to make sure. 

1 person likes this

LMAO

It's kind of sad that we need this post... As long as they use actual sentences to convey their (not they're or there) thoughts, I'm typically satisfied. I'm sure this post will help some people pass first grade English though!

I think what drives me nuts more than anything is when people use an apostrophe when they mean to pluralize. 

"I love dog's!"

...You love dog's what?

2 people like this

@TheHansonGoons @Truth @AldermachXI @Brigadius

i lov dis game sue muc. its' bust gam eva! cerealy haz know bugz whatsoevas. nedz mo' dlc fo $199.00.

i r coo wif dem lak of deadcapitated servars, rag quilts, lots cunnections, and errrrr massages.

i fink i wuv da fack dat i cun kil 2 peepz and git gud 11/8 high scars. dat epik math skil yo!

creepin throw windhoes macs me fell lik iam untouchabowl. cant' tooch me jasoon. dindu nuffin 2 yo moms.

2 people like this

On 11/14/2017 at 2:11 PM, GhostWolfViking said:

@TheHansonGoons @Truth @AldermachXI @Brigadius

i lov dis game sue muc. its' bust gam eva! cerealy haz know bugz whatsoevas. nedz mo' dlc fo $199.00.

i r coo wif dem lak of deadcapitated servars, rag quilts, lots cunnections, and errrrr massages.

i fink i wuv da fack dat i cun kil 2 peepz and git gud 11/8 high scars. dat epik math skil yo!

creepin throw windhoes macs me fell lik iam untouchabowl. cant' tooch me jasoon. dindu nuffin 2 yo moms.

You can't have bad spelling without double posting right after too.

New forum members live by this unspoken rule. :lol:

Right @JPops;)

xgz9nkR.gif

86% chance that an equally goofy poster who aims to call another goofball poster as a dunce replies like this: “Your a moron.”

Thus breaking the Internet.

I’ve seen that too many times to remember.

Actually and argument with a douche nozzle who thought he was clever.

Douche: Y U take my key's?!?!

Me: Because I needed to escape, and since YOU shut that door in my face trying to get me killed I said fuck it. Is that enough reason WHY?

Douche: Yur trash, kill yurself!

Me: (Heavily sighs) Look little troll, why don't you crawl back under your bridge and leave the adults alone?

Douche: i,m gunna report u, yu'll b banned.

Me: Really? Oh please No! Come on, what are you like 8?

Douche: try 30 dumass

Me: Oh, that's so perfect! Lmao! Don't write another word, just leave it like that.

Douche: yur trash!

Me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

If you want a grammar thread in off topic, fine. However we will not resort to stereotyping and use insinuations based upon them.