Guy

Future DLC: Retaining immersion.

44 posts in this topic

This is a subject that has come up a few times and one I think should merit genuine discussion. First of all I love the game and don't want this to come off as a whine or complaint, but it is something I'm hoping to see addressed but am worried that it won't be.

This game is painstakingly faithful to the franchise, and that's half the reason we all love it, but the recent Halloween DLC among a few other niggling things are worrying me that this is about to change. You see the Summer Camp '84 clothing perfectly suited the franchise (Chad's tiger prints aside) and made for good aesthetic addition, then the Halloween pack came along, and now I can't play a game without all LaChappa's being dressed as Andre the Giant and Kenny in bright pink police shorts among other things. This is beginning to unravel all the hard work you guys have put into the franchise immersion.

I've heard complaints about Retro Jason's inclusion, and whilst I understood them I actually didn't mind him as at least he was a faithful recreation of a piece of the franchise history, I was actually more bothered about Part 9 having a big woodman's axe when his incarnation only ever held a machete. But with Xmas around the corner I can see Chad dressed as an elf, Tiffany as a Reindeer, LaChappa as Santa or a giant Snowman or something and I'm concerned, especially when there are so many other low-key, effective, immersive options. Options like winter coats, sweaters, scarves, gloves, maybe a few Xmas lights, trees or egg-nogs placed in the cabins, seeing breath leaving mouths. At a push perhaps one tacky Xmas jumper, snow if it's possible but it's probably a really big ask.

It's the same for Valentines Day, etc. We don't want Chad dressed as Cupid, Tiffany in lingerie (as much as it pains me to admit that), etc. Or at least I assume we don't, I guess the replies will see. Whilst all these things make me laugh the first time I see them, it's a fleeting cheap laugh that won't last the same way that your dedication to atmosphere will.

Again I'm not looking to complain, I love the game, but I hope to see more 'Camp Crystal Lake' councillor shirts from the movies, and less 'Bugsy as a giant turkey for Thanksgiving!'

12 people like this

I understand where you're coming from with this, but I don't mind the Halloween costumes, because you can imagine that the Counsellors are, well, dressed for Halloween. If it's October while at Crystal Lake, having a Halloween party seems like the kind of thing they'd do. It's not even that uncommon in other slasher franchises, (Halloween being the obvious one).

Similarly, Christmas costumes AT Christmas would kind of make sense in character, if they were there in December, they might dress that way. BUT you run the risk of immersion then when you mix and match, if somebody is in a Halloween outfit, and somebody is in a Christmas outfit, suddenly it doesn't go together. Even the same with Winter clothes, if Tiffany is in her bikini but AJ is in a heavy coat and scarf, it won't feel like it all goes together properly.

2 people like this

Having different councillors wearing different seasonal outfits is an issue, one we already have with Tiffany in an almost thong-bikini and others in Halloween outfits, that's just part and parcel of selling seasonal DLC unfortunately, you can't remove it from people afterward.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that we NEED Xmas/Winter DLC, just simply that any DLC released in the future is more low-key and doesn't remove the atmosphere with wacky broad humour, Xmas is just the next big seasonal event.

36 minutes ago, Guy said:

Having different councillors wearing different seasonal outfits is an issue, one we already have with Tiffany in an almost thong-bikini and others in Halloween outfits, that's just part and parcel of selling seasonal DLC unfortunately, you can't remove it from people afterward.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that we NEED Xmas/Winter DLC, just simply that any DLC released in the future is more low-key and doesn't remove the atmosphere with wacky broad humour, Xmas is just the next big seasonal event.

I totally get what you mean. I think the Halloween outfits/swimsuits/regular clothes still kind of works, as you can imagine it's Halloween at Crystal Lake, some of the teenagers are dressing up for it, some are still having fun swimming (or just come out of the water, since it's night) and some are in their regular clothes, but yeah, if there are new seasonal packs, it'll get more immersive breaking.

I hope any future clothing DLC are just new and different outfits that aren't tied to a season. It'd be fun to make your Counsellor more unique without having to break any immersion in being able to pick different outfits which aren't obviously tied to any event.

1 person likes this

Even though I have the spring break and halloween DLC's, I've been calling this since the start. As much as I love customes and the ability of changing clothes all the time, I'm hoping for clothing packs of regular, casual wear instead of more silly things. 

Also, I wonder what's gonna happen if we get the Grendel/Spaceship map... Will there be a pack of futuristic outfits...? And if there is, we will then see these counselors from the future at the summer camps...? That's even weirder. 

2 people like this

i agree 100% with this post i want immersion to and no more seasonal dlc. also does it make any sense at all they would have camp in the middle of the winter correct me if im wrong but i don't think they do.

1 person likes this

@Guy Great post, I fully agree. I was also bothered by that ridiculous axe.

@Veevleigh Halloween costumes are an immersion breaker. It's impossible for Halloween to fall on Friday the 13th and there's no basis in the films for Halloween costumes to be incorporated, outside of a guy dressed as a Native American chief (that would now be considered inappropriate or racist). Christmas costumes would kill this game. It would never recover.

@Barbara Ann I'm happy to see you're more interested in casual or non-immersion breaking clothing. I know you're a fan of customization but I think even fans of customization can see how the clothing has been a detriment to the game's overall atmosphere.

@camp_voorhees You're right, it doesn't make sense. We've only been shown Camp Crystal Lake as a summer camp. A winter map makes even less sense now that there's people running around in speedos.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

Halloween costumes are an immersion breaker. It's impossible for Halloween to fall on Friday the 13th and there's no basis in the films for Halloween costumes to be incorporated, outside of a guy dressed as a Native American chief (that would now be considered inappropriate or racist). Christmas costumes would kill this game. It would never recover.

Sure, Halloween can't actually fall on Friday 13th, but it's October, people celebrate Halloween all through it these days, especially if these kids are away from their parents at a camp for the weekend or whatever. Like I said, I can about believe the Halloween costumes, but I agree, I wouldn't like to see Christmas ones.

@bewareofbears That's something we can agree on. That was the first thing I said as soon as they announced the Spring Break DLC. I have both DLC's because I'm desperate for some extra customization, but I'd happily trade them for some regular outfits in the blink of an eye.

...I still kind of love dancing nonstop all the time though. Sorry...! I can't help it. 

1 person likes this

@Barbara Ann Futuristic outfits would fit in nicely if we get a Grendel map, but even if they're used on a regular camp map, just think of it as a VR simulation of the original locations.

i think the next clothing pack should be crystal lake counselor oufits 

7 people like this

11 hours ago, pioneer67fkd said:

i think the next clothing pack should be crystal lake counselor oufits 

I'd love to see those! I think they'd be great! And great fun to have in various forms, like you can easily see Tiffany's being cut off at the mid-riff, Jenny's being worn perfectly, Chad's being with a popped collar etc.

1 person likes this

I agree with @Guy and @bewareofbears here. Though I will say not all Halloween parties happen on Halloween, maybe the 13th is a bit early. I get wanting customizable clothing options, but let's stick to basic season outfits.

Members Only jackets for the guys, maybe 80s sweaters and leggings for the girls. No one is sporting that Pat Benetar look.

You can do 80s clothing that is nostalgic and somewhat silly without breaking immersion. @Brigadius and I pitched winter and seasonal clothing options before that are basic winter clothes, not goofy costumes. After all, we still dont have basic Camp Crystal Lake shirts yet.

For those that didn't like the addition of the Halloween clothes, are they breaking immersion more or less than the emotes?

I personally feel that they are, but I know the emotes have really rubbed people the wrong way on the forums. Not trying to start a shit storm, just curious.

Just now, kohagan said:

A santa claus costume for jason please. 

Are you serious, or just trying to troll?

11 minutes ago, Truth said:

For those that didn't like the addition of the Halloween clothes, are they breaking immersion more or less than the emotes?

I personally feel that they are, but I know the emotes have really rubbed people the wrong way on the forums. Not trying to start a shit storm, just curious.

You can dance any time of year, so yes, Halloween costumes break it more in my opinion.

Dancing just leads to people goofing off and trolling. It's just a distraction and takes away from completing objectives is why people don't like the dance emotes. It's pure silly factor content. 

Personally, I don't mind the dancing at certain times as much.. however Halloween costumes, bikinis and normal clothes in one game? Kind of lame.

Maybe there should be a private match option to set clothing preferences so everyone is in it together. Would even benefit the role players. Seems like a silly and unnecessary coding though, so I don't actually mean this, only hypothesizing.

2 minutes ago, Truth said:

Are you serious, or just trying to troll?

Serious, if there's an Xmas costume pack that is. 

1823b6e1cfa2947e6d594792564398c3--jason-voorhees-costume-ideas.jpg

1 person likes this

They should get back to basics with the clothing. Its just that simple.

I'm hoping they just wanted to nail the sex appeal and that's all.

I think in terms of winter clothing and a winter map. I think it makes the most sense to only allow counselors to have their standard outfit or the winter clothing. Only allow Summer Clothing and Halloween costumes on the summer versions of the map. Its not something everyone will agree on but its something worth trying.

As others have pointed out. Outside of the characters having sex and running out of a cabin butt naked in the middle of winter in singleplayer challenges because Jason is chasing them or just killed their significant other. There is absolutely no sensible reason why the characters would be in swim wear or Halloween costumes in the middle of a blizzard.

So yes, immersion should be more of a vocal point.

1 minute ago, tyrant666 said:

I think in terms of winter clothing and a winter map. I think it makes the most sense to only allow counselors to have their standard outfit or the winter clothing. Only allow Summer Clothing and Halloween costumes on the summer versions of the map. Its not something everyone will agree on but its something worth trying.

First off I doubt they will have "winter maps" and "summer maps". That sounds like a lot of unnecessary coding.

Second, we had to pay to get the clothing DLC. It would be a huge slap in the face to limit our use of them.

I get wanting immersion and whatnot, but the in-game season doesn't change. Why should the rl season dictate what paid clothing DLC we use?

50 minutes ago, Truth said:

As one of the first to jokingly ask for Crispin Glover's dance moves, I can't really complain that we actually got them. Yes the dancing is immersion breaking in the moment, but again, at least it has a direct link to the series, similar to Retro Jason.

I rarely see them used in private matches though, as people are too busy caught up playing the game, whereas bright pink Kenny is unmissable.

I've been excited for customization since the beta, but I've been kinda disappointed w/ the DLC outfits- I was hoping they'd include more references to the movies, but I guess that just wouldn't sell as well. As much as I love my speedo Chad, he's really only for bm and memes.

856e7c98cd2ad9bdb710d54179c97203.png

Something like this for Jenny would be be different from her current outfit and still fit in the trope.

91c6fa8a1ebf91609af37fc581316781.pngSissy-Friday6d.JPG

And what a waste we don't have this for Vanessa :( it's athletic. They could've put Jones on the back. Again fits in the trope but offers a totally different silhouette.

db825a7492dc0c56deb4c5e0b2f3a132.png 45efeeec9c9272d08bb2b32e8b2fb886.png

Kelly Hu as deb Eva from part 8. That outfit screams awkward nerd to me- would've been perfect for Deb. If they still wanted to go """sexy""" (sry maddy) they could've given Deb Maddy's David outfit.

Friday+the+13th+Part+VIII+Jason+Takes+Manhattan+6.jpg

YOU GET THE IDEA

These wouldn't have been as immersion-breaking and would have been a cool reference to the movies. I don't think you have to pay for outfits like you do an actor's likeness. But instead we have jenny in the saddest excuse for a costume ever (not wonder woman?? not something vaguely-Leia?) and stripper Kenny :( 

4 people like this

Yeah, I completely agree.

I honestly dislike the Halloween pack and what it has brought to the visuals of the game.

I've never been a fan of this consumerism-complex video games suffer from these days, in trying to put something out for each and every damn holiday, but I think that this game suffers more from it than most, due to its excellent atmosphere, to start with, and the horror and fear nature of the game itself.

I also felt this way about Retro Jason though, so, judge my views however you wish (so long as you view them as the almighty holy word that all things must adhere to, of course).

1 person likes this

I only bought the swim suit and emotes pack (gonna buy the grab kills pack to), even though I love the game, because I feel the other DLCs takes away from the immersion instead of enhancing it. Every time the ugly purple Jason comes running I can´t help but sigh since it ruins the feeling of the game. Would really love having an option of choosing between Canon and Everything Goes servers or something so I don´t have to see it if I don´t want to... Probably not realistic, but, as someone said above; every DLC that strives away from the movies or setting is only going to create less immersion, not more. I play it because of its closeness to the films. These days though, everywhere I turn I see bunnies or devils running around. Meh.

More normal 80s clothing variants and haircuts would be great though.

1 person likes this