I'll start by saying that pre patch, there was NO doubt in my mind that the best Jasons were the ones who had the better shift and not running ability. Post patch, however, I have had a lot more success with running Jasons. Here's why:

Morph

With the pre patch grab, it was very easy to catch up to people and grab them. Now it is much more difficult because of the nerfs. Weirdly enough, I think the slower shift is better in many respects because it keeps pace with the counselors and burns stamina. The better morphs will shoot you straight past them and make it difficult to set up a kill.

Discussion

I still have a lot of room to improve as Jason, but I was wondering what you all thought of this. I'm pretty lost with the undead four haha.

Grab range needs widening. You can miss a grab with Jason right next to you. But I have to say that Shift Jason's are are still good. You just have to Morph ahead of your target and then Shift.

Parts 2, and 4 definitely aren't the best anymore after the nerfs with traps and grab range.

No even prepatch Part 3 was probably still the best Jason.  The 35% cd reduction rage provides simply provides a larger boost in power on negative and normalized abilities than positives. He is much more lethal in combat scenarios than the other Jason's who don't have Weapon strength. He forces low speed counselors to have to burn stamina much more frequently because of his run. He still has good objective control.  His negatives are negligible since negative stun resistance seems to make almost no difference, -sense is pointless because of sense spam, and - stalk doesn't matter since it burns so quick anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woundcowboy said:

Running Jasons are the best now?

No. I run random Jason's and still have my best rounds with 6, 8 and 9.

3 is my fav runner though.

3 hours ago, zarakye said:

Parts 2, and 4 definitely aren't the best anymore after the nerfs with traps and grab range.

Part 4 only has 3 traps. Why would a low trap Jason be nerfed after the trap change? 

Part 2 Jason usually always stacked traps. Low trap Jason’s really only do one trap per objective.

I have a question for anyone who's watched the films lately. Didn't all Jason's run in the movies? I can't remember if they did 

Also to answer the question I think running Jason's are slightly better than walking Jason's. part 4 is my favorite.

9 minutes ago, PrestonDelRey said:

I have a question for anyone who's watched the films lately. Didn't all Jason's run in the movies? I can't remember if they did 

Also to answer the question I think running Jason's are slightly better than walking Jason's. part 4 is my favorite.

Nope after part 4 he just walked

• Like 1

@woundcowboy To be specific, Part 3 has always been arguably the best Jason because of Can Run for agility in combat and +Weapon Strength for max damage, and no meaningful weaknesses. This makes for the best option against an aggressive group of combat-focused counselors, which is something you will consistently encounter in high level play. Part 4 is also in this category as he also has those stats, and is an excellent aggressor with the +Destruction bonus but overall less viable than Part 3 with the negatives on Shift and Traps. So running Jasons are the ideal choice, but only partially as Part 2 does not have the same viability without +Weapon Strength.

In regards to grab after the latest patch, it does have issues but not in the way most people think. The grab range nerf is not so significant, it is only significant in the way that it indirectly affects your chances of a successful grab due to close-range design issues (which have existed since release). The grab is basically an outward cone shape, so the closer counselors are to Jason, the less chance he actually has of grabbing them unless they are centered to him. The shorter range simply exposes this issue more now, for example Jason's hand clipping through a counselor's head but being unable to grab them.

PS: Your username looks familiar to me. Were you by any chance part of the Mortal Kombat community?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tommy86 said:

@woundcowboy To be specific, Part 3 has always been arguably the best Jason because of Can Run for agility in combat and +Weapon Strength for max damage. This makes for the best option against an aggressive group of counselors, which is something you will consistently encounter in high level play. Part 4 is also in this category as he also has those stats, and is an excellent aggressor with the +Destruction bonus but overall less viable than Part 3 with the negatives on Shift and Traps. So running Jasons are the ideal choice, but only partially as Part 2 does not have the same viability without +Weapon Strength.

In regards to grab after the latest patch, it does have issues but not in the way most people think. The grab range nerf is not so significant, it is only significant in the way that it indirectly affects your chances of a successful grab due to close-range design issues (which have existed since release). The grab is basically an outward cone shape, so the closer counselors are to Jason, the less chance he actually has of grabbing them unless they are centered to him. The shorter range simply exposes this issue more now, for example Jason's hand clipping through a counselor's head but being unable to grab them.

PS: Your username looks familiar to me. Were you by any chance part of the Mortal Kombat community?

Yes sir, I am a two time EVO finalist :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woundcowboy said:

Yes sir, I am a two time EVO finalist :)

I thought so :) I think I remember you from the streams. I've also seen the REO username on here but not sure if it's him.  

• Like 1

I always thought I’d like part 3, but I can’t stand his - stalk/sense combo.

I used him recently and after playing + or average Stalk Jason’s I really felt the negative of a bad stalk.

I know -sense isn’t all that bad, as by itself it’s easily toggled on/off but I frequently track counselors from inside cabins or around corners in stalk mode and use sense to time out the perfect attack. I kept losing track of people as J3 and his stalk would never last long enough.

I would much rather have a - shift/traps than - sense/stalk

I find J4 to be a great aggressor Jason, but can also be a good hunter/tracker Jason when needed with his average Sense/stalk

With every patch the developers make changes. Some are needed. Some are not.

Before the patch I was playing as Part 8 Jason.

I would use the grab kills and rarely attack with my weapon since the release of the game.

I have heard every type of complaint from players when you kill them.

''Stop grabbing us''

''Stop using choke''

''Stop using headpunch''

''Stop using instant kills''

''Stop using (insert any random Jason but part 7 here).''

''Stop using traps on objectives to kill me''

"Stop using sense, stalk, morph''

"Stop only slashing me to death. Grab me so I can use my pocket knives''

"Change up your kills. It's boring to watch the same thing over and over. Grab, slash, environmental kill etc.''

"Don't kill me I'm stuck in a bug, I can't interact with anything. I can't use my weapon. The car is bugged. The phone box is bugged, The boat is bugged etc. ''

How about you stop complaining about how others play the game and tell the developers to fix the game.

You may have to go to Reddit and shit post to get a response. :lol:

After the patch and nerf to Jason's grab I changed up how I play and the Jason I use.

I pick part 3. 4 traps on phone box. 1 on the 4 seater car. Slash everyone in quick play. I don't use grabs much anymore.

I use Part 4 as well with the new kill pack too.

My last achievement is to play 1,000 matches as Jason. I'm at 30%.

It's an achievement that most will never unlock or don't have the free time to waste on it.

I discovered slashing everyone is the fastest way to clear out a lobby when I get Jason.

When I play with some players they find that boring and don't like it.

You only have 4 kill slots that most players have seen every kill 1 million times already.

When It's my time to be Jason I'm going to play how I want. I'm not here to entertain anyone.

I don't complain about you when it's your turn to be Jason. I don't tell you how to play.

I'm working on my final achievement and then I'll be moving on from this game.

Unfortunately it could take me a few months of grinding for it. :lol:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dandop1984 said:

Part 4 only has 3 traps. Why would a low trap Jason be nerfed after the trap change? 

Part 2 Jason usually always stacked traps. Low trap Jason’s really only do one trap per objective.

Part 4 Jason because he's got -shift, and after the grab nerf it's hard to shift grab counselors with his already useless shift speed and length.

and Part 2 Jason because you can't lay multiple traps in the same area anymore. (and the above)

I’ve been playing Part 2 from the very beginning I’ve had most luck with him by his great morph and those 7 traps. I know I can morph straight back to objective and place another one if someone decided to tank one and run away. And when the car is on the move I know I have a small chance of stopping that car. So I morph down the street and away from the Car I try to find a tree or some Bushes so I can go into Stalk and use my Shift as soon as their close enough to where I can stop the car.

• Like 2

I used part 2 Jason since I got him unlocked, he was always my favorite. I've used them all and like each for different reasons. I do really like part 6, since we met CJ Graham we've been using him. Gotta say since the grab nerf it is crazy hard to get his shift grab. The +shift is great for cooldown, but he moves so fast you have to time it juuuuussssst RIGHT! hopefully they'll invert the cone so it's wide at his shoulders and gets smaller as it goes out from him. Wide at the shoulders as if his arms are outstretched to either side, and the cone goes in to the width of his shoulders at his arms reach. Kinda basic, good fix right? Anything inside the cone better have a knife, or a quick team mate nearby. Just my input on the subject. In the mean time I'll go back to my sackheaded buddy in the hope the next patch will fix the grab cone, or at least revert to the October 11th patch.

Well, we had fun while it lasted. 

The current balance isn't even a 1/5 of the fun that the game had before. It's boring as all hell, now.

2 hours ago, zarakye said:

Part 4 Jason because he's got -shift, and after the grab nerf it's hard to shift grab counselors with his already useless shift speed and length.

and Part 2 Jason because you can't lay multiple traps in the same area anymore. (and the above)

Oh I see. I thought you where referring to part 4 trap nerf.

I play part 4 all the time. I usually don’t need to shift grab due to his destruction and running combo, but that’s just my play style. 

7 hours ago, dandop1984 said:

I know -sense isn’t all that bad, as by itself it’s easily toggled on/off but I frequently track counselors from inside cabins or around corners in stalk mode and use sense to time out the perfect attack. I kept losing track of people as J3 and his stalk would never last long enough.

I would much rather have a - shift/traps than - sense/stalk

I find J4 to be a great aggressor Jason, but can also be a good hunter/tracker Jason when needed with his average Sense/stalk

Yeah that's fair enough. Personal playstyle does determine stat value to some extent. I can't say I find -Sense/-Stalk to be an issue for my playstyle, but I can see how it could interfere with tracking counselors in those situations. I spam Sense most of the time, but likewise leave it on if I need to see where a counselor is going exactly, if they've escaped from a cabin for instance. It helps in determining the best Morph spot. I'm able to perform Morph Grabs sometimes based on that.

Despite J4's -Shift/-Traps negatives, which is IMO the most negative combo you can have, his positives do go a long way towards compensating. Like you said, he is a great aggressor, to the point that I'd nominate him for the best aggressor. Can Run, +Weapon Strength and +Destruction are just deadly, he's not only perfect for combat but he forces counselors into it. Despite his weaknesses he is my favourite pick right now. 

Part 4 is my go-to now for sure. The -Shift hasn't bothered me much and his Destruction/Run combo allows me to eventually wear a counselor's stamina down, resulting in an easy grab kill 9 times out of 10. So much fun playing an aggressor :D