Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brigadius

Changes to enforce proper gameplay

38 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2017 at 5:38 AM, Brigadius said:

You just shouldn't be rewarded for not escaping

You don't receive any extra xp for surviving the night...

On 11/11/2017 at 2:07 PM, Brigadius said:

So if you team kill a lot you might actually start losing levels.

You do go negative already. I got -362 at the end of the match for killing my friend once.

While I agree Tommy is meant to HELP other counselors, losing xp for everyone that dies is dumb. How am I supposed to help the person hiding under a bed the whole game? Fact is, I can't. Why should I get penalized for their stupidity? If I pull up in the car and they don't even bother moving, what am I supposed to do?

Disabling customization options sounds pretty pointless. I'm not sure what you're trying to solve with that...

This whole post is just policing how people "should" play the game. If you don't like how people play, then find other people to play with. No one should have to follow YOUR expectations when playing.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Alien_Number_Six said:

Running out the clock is necessary. You think you got trolling now. Wait until Jason and his helper no longer have a time limit. 

Helping Jason is a bannable offense and that type of play should have no bearing on how the game is to be played. Once they get a proper report system in place that behavior will stop. And I'm not sure how Jason helpers have any bearing on running out the cock to begin with.  If time expires the game ends in both my suggestion and the way it is now already. Only difference is survivors don't get bonuses because they didn't escape. 

17 hours ago, Malken said:

Here's the thing though, @Brigadius the whole game is just an elaborate "Catch-Me-If-You-Can" scenario with a 20 min time limit. It's Jason's job to catch all the counselors within that time frame. The counselor's job isn't to kill Jason, it's not even specifically to escape, it's to survive. If you're playing a counselor and manage to run down the clock, then you haven't been caught, you've done your job and you survived, and should be rewarded accordingly, not penalized.

• Removing the clock altogether isn't an option, because that penalizes everyone waiting in spectator mode, sometimes for over 15 min at a time.
  • Withholding points for surviving the night isn't an option because that penalizes players for successfully doing what they're supposed to: survive.
  • Ditto for considering it an automatic death if your run down the clock. You weren't caught, therefore you're not dead.
  • XP penalties for Tommy for the reasons listed is just insane. I get that it's his role to save the other counselors, but that doesn't mean he should simply act as a kamikaze meat shield for everyone else. There's plenty of situations where it'd be perfectly legit for Tommy to escape before all the others counselors were out. It's also punishing new players who aren't up to speed on all aspects of the game yet. What's next? XP penalties for every Tiffanys that attempt a repair or Deborahs that take a swing at Jason because it's not their role to do so? Absurd!

All I'm seeing from a lot of these comments is a bunch of demands to punish people for not winning the match or playing their characters the way you want them to. So what if players don't adhere to their roles 100%? It's their game too, not just yours, and they're allowed to play their characters however they damn want. You, in turn, are allowed to choose not to play with those people. I've had my share of matches with wimpy Tommys, lone wolves, disorganized counselors and annoying trolls, and I don't get my panties in a bunch over it. I just look for other people whose play style complements my own better and call it a day.

• No removing of clock that wasn't my suggestion
  • You don't just survive Jason. Running out the clock is not enough. People in the movies don't just wait for Jason to get tired and go home. Survivors have 4 ways to win an automatic win for doing nothing or trolling shouldn't be rewarded. 
  • Rather than automatic death I changed it to a draw neither side gets the bonuses.
  • Tommy is a meat shield. It is his sole purpose and even one now that the added a bonus for sacrificing yourself as Tommy. There is zero reason for Tommy to escape. He was called in to save the counselors and fight Jason. If there is a reason for him escaping let us know. If you die at a counselor you should not get a escape bonus for escaping SD Tommy. That bonus should be sorry for counselors as Tommy came there with the purpose of fighting Jason not fleeing. It's simply reinforcing a role. If a new player finds out the hard way that's unfortunate but it's only one game and they will know not to do it that way again. 

There is nothing I suggested preventing people from playing how they want just positive reinforcement for playing your role and a penalty for not. You can still play how you want you will just receive less points for now playing your role as Tommy. If I play CoD and just sit in the corner and not kill anyone at the end of the match I get less points. Same concept play as intended recieve more points, don't and don't. 

@Truth I don't think the negative xp actually affects your lvl though. By disabling customization for negative play you reinforce positive play. If you play like an a-hole then you will be limited to core gameplay until you learn to stop ruining the game for everyone. Also no reason for Tommy to escape he gets more points for dying anyways. There are right and wrong ways to play a game just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. These "suggestions" ate to reinforce positive play. Not sure why so many are taking offense to suggesting improvements that would make finding good lobbies easier and make the game more enjoyable through playing properly. 

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

I don't think the negative xp actually affects your lvl though. By disabling customization for negative play you reinforce positive play. If you play like an a-hole then you will be limited to core gameplay until you learn to stop ruining the game for everyone. Also no reason for Tommy to escape he gets more points for dying anyways. There are right and wrong ways to play a game just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. These "suggestions" ate to reinforce positive play. Not sure why so many are taking offense to suggesting improvements that would make finding good lobbies easier and make the game more enjoyable through playing properly. 

Not sure if it affects your level. I didn't check it before that match.

I don't think disabling customization would be enough to change anything.

I must have missed the part about a bonus for dying as Tommy. But without that bonus, my point stands.

I'm not taking offense to your suggestions, I just don't agree with policing how people play the game. As long as you're not using an exploit or cheating, you're playing the game right.

20 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

an automatic win for doing nothing or trolling shouldn't be rewarded

As I said before, you don't get any xp for surviving the night. I wouldn't consider it a win, it's more of a draw.

1 hour ago, Truth said:

Not sure if it affects your level. I didn't check it before that match.

I don't think disabling customization would be enough to change anything.

I must have missed the part about a bonus for dying as Tommy. But without that bonus, my point stands.

I'm not taking offense to your suggestions, I just don't agree with policing how people play the game. As long as you're not using an exploit or cheating, you're playing the game right.

As I said before, you don't get any xp for surviving the night. I wouldn't consider it a win, it's more of a draw.

Not pointing you out personally for be offended I should have put that in its own section. Some people just take great offense to suggested changes. I was also writing a lengthy reply to a few others when you comment popped and was trying to squeeze a reply to you in.

If you don't receive the bonus for surviving by time out that's good must have overlooked that. 

Disabling customization might not be enough to temper everyone but it might cut down on some of the less serious trolls. Which is a start and would make the game more fun to have less people tking and whatnot. 

I at the very least think reinforcing character roles with positive rewards will help the game and I think some minor negative  reinforcement wouldn't go awry either. 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

Not pointing you out personally for be offended I should have put that in its own section. Some people just take great offense to suggested changes. I was also writing a lengthy reply to a few others when you comment popped and was trying to squeeze a reply to you in.

Don't you hate when that happens? You're about to click "submit reply" and someone else has to reply to you...

4 minutes ago, Brigadius said:

I at the very least think reinforcing character roles with positive rewards will help the game and I think some minor negative  reinforcement wouldn't go awry either.

I'd say rewarding good behavior in general will work a lot better. I just wouldn't want to be penalized for not doing something a specific way.

@Brigadius Sorry if my comments came off harsher than I intended. I'm not taking offense at anything you've suggested, though I strongly disagree with some of your opinions, but I meant no disrespect towards you, so I'll try to choose my words better from here on out.

• I know you didn't suggest removing the clock. I was just going through possible options to fix the problem you seemed to have with the concept.
  • It's true that running down the clock isn't realistic or similar to the movies, that's fair enough. However, it kind of becomes a moot point when considering the fact that the camp's exits have invisible barriers preventing you to run away unless certain criteria are first met, which is also unlike any of the movies or realistic in itself.  
  • My only issue with your point about surviving the night was about considering it an automatic death. I fully agree with you that it should be considered a draw. No XP bonuses or penalties required.
  • You left out the "kamikaze" part that I'd mentioned. Sure, Tommy is supposed to come save the day, and that's exactly how I like to play him. But that doesn't mean I have to immediately throw myself on Jason's blade either because that limits how much help I can provide. Dying to protect others is one thing, doing so needlessly is another. Sometimes helping counselors means tackling Jason head on, other times it means fixing up all the objectives while Jason is distracted. Dancing trolls, achievement hunters or just the need of the many outweighing the need of the one are all examples I've come across where I had to leave people behind. Didn't know you get an XP bonus for dying as Tommy, though.
  • Positive reinforcement for playing your role correctly is something I can definitely agree on, it's when it goes into XP penalties (and I do mean penalties, not just lack of bonuses) or other forms of punishment for not doing so that I have an issue with. If players want to play outside their roles, they shouldn't be especially rewarded for it, but it's a little unfair to say they should also suffer an additional penalty on top of that and then claim they're not prevented from playing how they want. It's strong-arming players into playing a specific way... or else. Unless I've completely  misunderstood what you were saying, I can't agree with that way of doing things.

1 hour ago, Malken said:

Didn't know you get an XP bonus for dying as Tommy, though

Yeah me neither. I guess I've only escaped since the last patch... Or just not paid attention...

Listen man not everyone getting a time out victory is helping Jason. You know how many times I have had to run the clock out on Jason because the group couldn't get the car running or we couldn't phone the cops? More then I can count. I have a level three badge in it. And if everyone gets wiped out pre-rage I'm going to hide instead of run around like an idiot and get wasted. If Jason is smart he smashes the power raises the fear and senses me out early. Even if he isn't once rage sets in he's senses me anyway. You should get more xp for getting a time out victory not less.

Everyone who thinks the 20 minutes and you're dead....

1)  It's there to make Jason work.  Else Jason can just do nothing near end of the match and win. 

2)  Encourages counselors to try and survive to the last (if their options for escape are kaput then they'll just leave)  I.E. Car smashed, boat gone - He's sitting on the phone. 

3.  The timer is there as the invisible walls are there.  I.E. In real life you'd pick a direction and get out of dodge.  But to play a viable game there has to be boundaries.  Thus, because you have invisible walls, you need a timer to counterbalance.  No timer - then no walls.  

1 person likes this

On 12/11/2017 at 2:04 AM, VoorheesAJollyGoodFellow said:

Boat's dead in the water. Too risky to swim for it.

Car is destroyed, flipped over.

Phone fuse is on the exact opposite side of the map of the phone because a noob died with it.

2 people left alive. Jason has Rage and knows where you are.

That's an unwinnable situation except by timeout. If timeout counts as a death, your idea will encourage suiciders and quitters even more than we have now because there's no incentive to either stay alive or stay in the game if timeout is not a win.

Then, in this situation ( and come on, how many time you have seen all those things happen in the same game ?)  you have to die, simple. 

Also, moving the time in favor of Jason will reduce people just abusing the windows mechanic, the infinite sprint and all the other exploit ( yes i call exploit ) we face every game

12 minutes ago, Blinckx said:

Then, in this situation ( and come on, how many time you have seen all those things happen in the same game ?)  you have to die, simple. 

Also, moving the time in favor of Jason will reduce people just abusing the windows mechanic, the infinite sprint and all the other exploit ( yes i call exploit ) we face every game

You don't get any extra xp for surviving the night. I don't get why people consider it a win right now... You'll get the same xp if you just let Jason kill you, and you'd be giving Jason more xp at the same time. I get it if it's a good chase and you're just enjoying that, but you're not going to get anything extra out of it.

I was hosting today and when it was my turn to be Jason there was one guy that was egging me on with dances and tea bagging. He definitely had skills and stunned me quite a few times (although some I walked into intentionally just to get doors down) but it was clear that he had no focus other than trolling me. I left a few times to deal with others but came back and eventually wore him down (he was clearly using the thick skin perk given the number of hits he took). But like a typical coward he killed himself by climbing through a broken window rather than dying by my hand. And then to top it off he still tried to troll me via IM and told me that I sucked and that I still didn’t get him. Talk about fooling himself. I may not have gotten XP but I still defeated him by default. He still lost by default. I told him that the only reason I didn’t get him is because he was a pussy, simple as that, and that since I was the host I was kicking him from the game. Of course, since there is no way to single out individuals for banning that required shutting down the lobby, but better that than allowing one troll to ruin one game after another. I was doing everyone a favor. 

If you have too many stipulations .....the game will die. There has to be a common ground. Just have fun and roll with it.