Sign in to follow this  
kohagan

Looking Forward To Single player?

I'm level 25 in the game so still quite newbie and i prefer to play councilor. Playing as Jason I've had mixed results including  one death and taken a shit load of tbagging and beatings. Nearly every lobby I'm playing against higher ranks. I accept its a catch up game for some of us. 

So, i am actually looking forward to a single player game. Whilst I appreciate the bloody beating heart of the game is multiplayer and playing against bots cannot replicate how real players react in game but I still expect it may help to improve those players lacking Jason skills which can only be a good thing overall. 

How do you think that the bots will interact with jason? It will be interesting to see whether they just run, attack, team up. I really don't know what to expect with this, Except... 

No dancing by the cops :D

• Like 1

AI is not easy to do. Look how the game went. I guess we can be happy if the bots won´t get stuck running in a wall all the time. Bigger companies with experience failed on AI bots already. Chances are there they will be challenging, but only very slim ones if you ask me.

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

AI is not easy to do. Look how the game went. I guess we can be happy if the bots won´t get stuck running in a wall all the time. Bigger companies with experience failed on AI bots already. Chances are there they will be challenging, but only very slim ones if you ask me.

This is true but you forget they are using the unreal engine which already has all the functionality built into it.  They aren't starting from scratch they just have to implement and tweak the code. It's also the main reason there are so many bugs though. They are implementing stock code and hoping it is solid and when they realise some of the code is conflicting they then have to parse through code they didn't write to find out why. That's why some things take so long to fix. Unfamiliarity with the engine. Not saying there job is easy because they used a preexisting engine, in fact it could make it harder the long run because they are going to have to not only know the code they wrote but an entire engine they didn't write to keep the game running smoothly. 

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Gameplay/AI/

Maybe they shpould talk to google about getting an AI program. Google may do it just to get more cred for their AI system. 

Although I do not know how I would feel about facing a crazy smart learning AI like that.

I backed the game for single player.  I tried multiplayer and unless I'm playing in a private match with people I know I'm not bothering getting into the ragers, quitters, and trolls.  Just not my cup of tea.  Had I known that single player wouldn't be delivered on, or that it looks like its going to be some elementary after thought I'd never have backed this project in the first place.  Oh well, we live and learn right?

AI is not easy to do.  However, I am a game developer and my masters thesis was on AI.  AI is my favorite part to work on in a game.  You don't need a google AI program for a game like this.  

You don't need some level of trying to match other people to make a single player game enjoyable.  You need it to be fairly believable and enjoyable.  

Multiplayer will always be where you go if you want to "git gud" and be competitive with other people.  Single player is where you go to have a casual time and enjoy yourself and do things you can't do in multiplayer.  

A Jason AI, while not the most elementary thing to do, is certainly attainable.  The developers have commented that they just don't have the budget to dedicate to it.  

• Like 1

I think singleplayer will save it for some people.

The challenges, etc.

Some people won't touch multiplayer much if ever again most likely.

Even if your beaten up on AI counselors and it has bugs. Its not the multiplayer experience. You get to play as Jason as much as you want, etc. The lure of the challenges being more like the earlier part of the films, more stalk and kill, etc.

I still think the offline bots should be added to multiplayer and eventually when ambitious enough...Jason AI for Multiplayer and Singleplayer.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to the challenge mode more than the bots. I feel like I'd really only play against bots right after updates/patches to get familiar with the changes.

To be honest I'm not that excited about multiplayer with bots. I think the most it will amount to is a practice mode for basic character control. I imagine counselors will be both incredibly predictable, but also perhaps difficult in combat if they are programmed to predict your inputs. Neither of which will really help you get better in online matches and against technique with human thinking behind it. As mentioned by others, bots running into walls is likely to be a thing as well.

Single player challenges, on the other hand, I am looking forward to and I think it could be a nice change of pace.

I don’t see the challenge or the appeal of hunting down bots, unless you’re just dying to feel all powerful as Jason with relative ease.

I really wish we could have gotten an actual story mode.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to both bots and the challenges. Bots for being Jason whenever I feel like it, since I don't seem to get Jason very often even with my preference set to Jason. Due to that I don't feel like I'm as good at Jason as I could be. And challenges just sound like they could be fun. I mean Hitman F13 style sounds fun to me. None of that will keep from MP, just give me something to do while I wait for my buddies to get on.

37 minutes ago, BFizzle said:

I don’t see the challenge or the appeal of hunting down bots, unless you’re just dying to feel all powerful as Jason with relative ease.

I really wish we could have gotten an actual story mode.

For months I thought single player was supposed to be a story mode, and when I found out it wasn't a story mode, I was severely disappointed I hope one day that they will revisit that idea,But I am still really excited for single player Mode, 

I'm pretty excited for the single player challenges, I just hope there's a decent amount of them and it's not one of those things where you finish it in a couple hours and never play again because you've done everything there is to do. 

Plus it'll be neat to see the "beginning" parts of the movies play out in game. 

I'm looking forward to it a lot personally main reason is years from now if I want to play and no one plays it anymore single player will still allow me to play

• Like 2

1 minute ago, patrickgage27 said:

I'm looking forward to it a lot personally main reason is years from now if I want to play and no one plays it anymore single player will still allow me to play

That's why this game NEEDS single player.

• Like 4

I'm going to test some shit with these bots

-Intelligence - How do they fight or flight?

-Teamwork - Will they work together, or save one another?

-Tommy Jarvis - can they call him? Will they try to kill you with him?

I have to admit I don't have too much confidence in the development team's ability to make good bot AI but all games that aren't multiplayer have bots. Some multiplayer games too. Yes, it's not like playing against humans but killing bots, particularly as Jason, should be fun.

Do we have any examples of AI created by Illphonic? I'm curious. I'd be more confident if we knew they'd done some decent AI in the past.

I can't imagine how the bots will work. The more I think about it the less fun it sounds, but if it's halfway decent, I can see myself playing a few rounds here and there, especially after going a full day without being Jason, like today.

It's baffling. Yesterday I was Jason almost every other round and only played for a little bit. Today, nothing. I got so upset we had to kill him once. It would've been twice in a row but the damn-ass game glitched the first time.

If they do get the AI right, and it's smart and not too repetitive, there is a chance of at least getting a consistent challenge, even if it's stiff. Sometimes these QP lobbies feel like ur playing against glitched AI, so maybe it won't make much of a difference anyway.

I have much more faith in the challenges though. From what I've seen and the Hitman comparison, I think it's gonna be very cool.

If the Single Player component is good, it will give this game an expanded life span. 

New challenges DLC people would definitely buy. Single player maps like the Lazarus would be easier to create as they wouldn't have the trickier mechanics of multiplayer with AI following a distinct path...I.e. Chad goes down to the engine room to see why the something happened...Deborah goes to the ship bridge to see why the radio isnt working...etc 

A town map map could also have you stalking residents in locals featured from the films. Stalk and kill the owners of a grocery store...etc 

There's a big scope for it...I hope they utilise that. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2017 at 1:16 PM, wes said:

Q: Bots sounds cool! Can I change the difficulty of the bots?
A: Not at this time. However, the bots react per their character tropes. So Adam might immediately find a weapon and come looking for a fight with Jason. Which can add to some intense gameplay moments

I didn't know this.

Bots might end up being pretty cool after all.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't know about you guys, but I have to seriously wonder just how necessary a single player mode was. I mean, there's going to be a virtual cabin 2.0, and that will likely be loaded with easter eggs as well as ways to test stuff out.

To me, single player mode for this game will likely be similar to what single player mode was for the previous Star Wars Battlefront game: Everyone played the multiplayer portion 99% of the time, and the only people who bothered to play the single player mode would use youtube videos to figure out how to ace the whole thing rather than enjoy it. And yeah, there was the whole "practice Luke Skywalker lightsaber fights vs Darth Vader" deal, but you can only get good to a certain degree against AI bots. The true test is facing players who could think outside of the box or have amazing reflexes/decision-making skills on the fly, and that's something traditional AI bots can't really prepare you for.

IMO, a single player mode could've been avoided to instead make more kickass maps like the Jarvis map as well as fixing up gaming issues, but I suppose there could be some interesting challenges for Jason like practicing his knife throws.

I imagine it'll be like a beat 'em up game. you go from spot to spot as jason and you face groups of attacking counselors throughout the map.... and everything has health bars