Mr. Blonde

Easy Way to Get Rid of the Dance & Scooby-Doo Dilemma

Should we make F13 more scary for the counselors?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Should we make F13 more scary for the counselors?

• Yes.
    • No. Give Jason dance emotes next update!

This is a clash between different groups of players. This is the same issue DBD is facing (and Last Year will face) and that game has no gimmicky dance moves and clothes. Even when developers try hard not to put anything "mood" breaking into the game, people will find different ways to goof around.

The problem is, you are expecting a nonstop serious survival horror game experience, which is something no multiplayer game can ever be. Remember Resident Evil Outbreak? That game gave you silly phrases to scream around and sexy costumes right out of the box. Every multiplayer horror game will always face this problem. You will have people wanting to take the game seriously and other people who just want to have fun and goof around with friends.

There is nothing wrong with either approach. You will have people playing shit on their microphones, teabagging like crazy, jumping through closed windows, dancing around and doing weird shit at inappropriate moments. This is given in any multiplayer videogame regardless it's theme... be it horror, shooter, coop etc.

If you want 100% immersion and serious experience, play with the same minded people who will not dress up in silly costumes and use emotes only when absolutely necessary. Otherwise you cannot fault GunMedia for trying to bring some life into the game and bring as much people in as possible. People will always find new ways to goof around, no matter if they are given the tools to do so or not. It doesn't matter whether the game is horror or not, and it will not make it any less of a horror game. This is just the way multiplayer games work.

And to be honest, aside from a niche group of people - F13th fans -, no one else would be playing the game anymore if they did not put in all this shit.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2017 at 11:31 PM, Trident77 said:

To be frank, Friday the 13th stopped trying to be scary after Part IV. From that point on it was essentially campy with dumb teenagers, underage sex & bewbs, and Jason doing his best to end the madness. But in the end, he was always getting rekd by the Final Girl (with her male companion) who was capable of making Jason's titantic strength magically crap out on him when he close to murdering all of his prey. I say this as someone who's favorite FF13 movie was Part VI btw.

In fact, if the game were to truly remain faithful to the movies, it should be noted that Jason did indeed murder people who were dancing right before he showed up. Violet from Part V as well as the dance party that was originally going on that ship from Part 8 are both examples of this. So when people dance in-game, you get to re-live the experience of Jason hacking someone to pieces (because it's obvious at that point they're carrying a pocket knife).

I'll finish up by saying this: the devs are likely taking notes, and we're probably going to see Jason buffs in the near future. So all this talk about imposing penalties on dancing counselors is probably going to be unncessary, especially once they start fixing things like windows; hit boxes; tweaking the grab range, etc. I'm still looking forward to a time where Jason can pick up a motorized branch trimmer or harpoon gun.

I don't doubt Friday the 13th did have a history of it's inability to be scary. The thing is though, the characters in the movies were always portrayed as frightened people whenever Jason was always nearby. It should be the same situation when you have that role during the game. Otherwise, the experience is just going feel like the usual team vs 1 player elimination mode like Halo zombies or slasher from GTA V online gives you.

That is also true about the dancing. I'll be honest, I had no problem when I first heard dancing was going to be added, but combined with the other changes and other additional silliness content the game had update, it started to make me have second thoughts and cause a big concern for like myself and others. 

• Like 1

Just give Jason a very powerful Fear-increasing radius for 5ft around him (when not Stalking), and you'll penalise furniture looping, teabagging, counselors window/door hitting Jason, and mobs ganking him for fun in a flavourful way.

People can still do all that. It just now carries danger. As it should. People are only doing it to troll because it carries no consequence.

It'd also make Composure useful, increasing character diversity and strategy. Shift-grabs have been nerfed, but the ability to shift-jump scare, with an actual gameplay advantage, would be good compensation.

It's a simple and elegant solution, which of course means there's a 0% chance it'll get implimented. The game will instead just continue to act as daycare for kids and idiots who treat it like a GTA mod.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Survival said:

The problem is, you are expecting a nonstop serious survival horror game experience, which is something no multiplayer game can ever be. Remember Resident Evil Outbreak? That game gave you silly phrases to scream around and sexy costumes right out of the box. Every multiplayer horror game will always face this problem. You will have people wanting to take the game seriously and other people who just want to have fun and goof around with friends.

There is nothing wrong with either approach. You will have people playing shit on their microphones, teabagging like crazy, jumping through closed windows, dancing around and doing weird shit at inappropriate moments. This is given in any multiplayer videogame regardless it's theme... be it horror, shooter, coop etc.

I agree with everything you're saying here, it's the nature of online multiplayer. People will find ways to goof around in anything. And I also agree there's nothing wrong with that either, it's just different ways of having fun. I was a total menace in GTA for example, but the game lended itself to that and that's what I loved about it. And despite what I've said about F13 in this thread, I dick around in that as well sometimes, mainly with friends and there's a lot of fun you can have without taking it seriously.

So where am I going with this? My point is that yes, while people will find ways to have their own kind of fun in games, the developer does have a choice in what direction they take the content and the game in. I think what rubs some people the wrong way about it is that some of the content really wasn't what they were expecting from this game, which was promoted differently prior to release than the direction it's been gradually heading since. It seems some people had very different ideas about it, and I can't really blame them as I did too. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game as a whole though.

1 hour ago, Survival said:

And to be honest, aside from a niche group of people - F13th fans -, no one else would be playing the game anymore if they did not put in all this shit.

And that's where we disagree, and the point I've been trying to make. F13 already had everything it needed to be a success without resorting to gimmicky content. It worked as a survival horror, at least for a while before balance issues became more evident, as counselor gameplay evolved and the playerbase became more confident against Jason. But those are things that can be fixed. I am also absolutely sure that they could release content that both appealed to the casuals and aligned more with what F13 fans are after. Grab kills are a good example, fun but don't water down the game, and true to the F13 franchise. Surely there's other things that could be added of that nature, and especially ones that actually have purpose as gameplay extenders.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Survival said:

This is a clash between different groups of players. This is the same issue DBD is facing (and Last Year will face) and that game has no gimmicky dance moves and clothes. Even when developers try hard not to put anything "mood" breaking into the game, people will find different ways to goof around.

If you want 100% immersion and serious experience, play with the same minded people who will not dress up in silly costumes and use emotes only when absolutely necessary. Otherwise you cannot fault GunMedia for trying to bring some life into the game and bring as much people in as possible. People will always find new ways to goof around, no matter if they are given the tools to do so or not. It doesn't matter whether the game is horror or not, and it will not make it any less of a horror game. This is just the way multiplayer games work.

I can see why multiplayer games have it's struggles on fully breaking out the true survival horror experience, but I don't necessarily believe it's impossible. GunMedia proved this when they first released the game at launch. Way before the patches and updates, the horror experience was definitely there. It's not Resident Evil 7 biohazrd scary, but it's scary enough to bring you into that Friday The 13th atmosphere. You're getting that same treatment of uneasiness the characters were going through in the movie. That's what it should always be about.

With a glimpse of hope, you're right though, that there is players you can party up with that'll give you that type of survival experience. QP has been a hit and miss, but I've had a fair of share of decent games. The silly costume and dance trend seems to be going away a bit, so I guess time will only tell of how much progress the devs will put into this.

• Like 1

I love this poll.  It isn't a "Do you think Jason is scary Y/N" poll, or "does Jason need to be scarier Y/N" - it is "agree with underlying goal of the poll, or choose this awful other option which is not a counter to the first" 

Gee.  I'm sooo surprised with the results. 

Maybe, just maybe, kinda like the poll for the latest patch which is pinned you might not get the results you deeply wish for? 

3 hours ago, ZooMalfunction said:

Just give Jason a very powerful Fear-increasing radius for 5ft around him (when not Stalking), and you'll penalise furniture looping, teabagging, counselors window/door hitting Jason, and mobs ganking him for fun in a flavourful way.

People can still do all that. It just now carries danger. As it should. People are only doing it to troll because it carries no consequence

I would love that so much but sadly this is not going to happen i'm pretty sure

3 hours ago, Liquid Swordsman said:

The silly costume and dance trend seems to be going away a bit, so I guess time will only tell of how much progress the devs will put into this.

Hopefully they keep adding more and more costumes and emotes.  Because id buy them all. And so would most of the people i know.

8 hours ago, Liquid Swordsman said:

A handful of threads come up almost everyday discussing those. This is another thread focusing on another subject matter, nothing wrong with that. Also, that's not the point. Dancing emotes, bunny, fairy costumes and the nerf like changes they made to Jason that has people concern. Hence part of the title of this thread that reads "Scooby-Doo Dilemma". Are you kind of seeing the picture here?

Seriously, some of the responses here are bizarre. Not everyone, but it's like most people here got so bitter over an opinion the OP had revolving around emotes, that they either completely missed the entire point or purposely don't want to see it for whatever reason.

I'm seeing people (Jason players) crying about counselors dancing at the cops. I'm seeing people saying counselors are very OP now. I'm seeing people saying cosmetics are bullshit and whatever. I'm seeing people mad because apparently now seems way more fun when you play as a counselor than Jason. Aaaaaaand I'm seeing people thinking emotes, costumes and blah blah blah somehow make things difficult for Jason. Looool, really?! The nerf really happened, but like I said in another thread, I still see a lot of Jasons with 8/8 at the end of the match. Even me, and I'm a bad Jason, always get most of the kills done. Isn't a problem for everyone.

Seems like some people want the game to be veeeeeery easy as Jason and totally impossible as a counselor. Some people complain about balance issues, but there's no balance if you want advantage only for one of the sides.

It's Friday the 13th, I get it, but it's a game. It can't be like the movies all the time. 

I know how to read, you don't need to explain me anything. And I agree with you. Most people REALLY got very bitter over an opinion. 

If you want to blame someone for emotes, costumes, nerfs and all, then blame the devs, not people that only want to have some fun playing a game without the feeling the world will end if they don't kill all the counselors per match. 

And no, I don't want the game to be "easy peasy" for me as a counselor - I like challenging games, I'm here playing since May, I love the horror atmosphere, but some people are overreacting about all this.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Hopefully they keep adding more and more costumes and emotes.  Because id buy them all. And so would most of the people i know.

Hell yes! Here's my money: 

throwing-money-gif-6.gif

6 hours ago, Survival said:

The problem is, you are expecting a nonstop serious survival horror game experience, which is something no multiplayer game can ever be.

The HORROR experience in this game is down to who's playing Jason.

It reminds me of Left 4 Dead VS.  Where if if you're skilled, with skilled player against a players who are not that great.. Its T bags and voice spam   Its a walk in the zombie park. But as soon as you're up against players who can play.  That T bag shit and Voice spam gets cut down drastically.

Its not really a clash between groups.. But seems like a clash between EXTREMELY over dramatic players for both sides.  You got the "JASONS GRAB is BROKEN, needs to be nerfed" crowd vs the "JASON IS BROKEN and this game is a joke" Crowd.

I think middle ground is the promised land. Emotes are fine as is as they don't actually affect game play.  So IMO, Buff Jasons grab range/radius, buff his melee swings and peopel will stop complaining about Emotes and start complaining about dying again...lol

6 hours ago, Fooobar said:

I like the idea :)

But Jason could get emotes. But not dance. Something that raises fear in the game.

What about his Part 8 where he lifts his mask up to terrify the city punks? Do that and is give a massive spike to fear and even causes a stumble.

7 hours ago, mrhyde138 said:

Limiting use of being able to emote while at 100% fear makes sense. as in even horrormovies people don't dance unless something is wrong with them. No one is saying don't use your emotes. but A LITTLE (I know its a game) bit more realistic. They nerfed Jason you sould be able to deal with fear induced limitations. So it flows with the spirit of the game. 

At least make them stumble out of dancing when they are in fear.

I get what everyone is saying. It does make sense realistically. If your fear is that high you typically wouldn't be dancing anyway unless you were afk. I still don't think it's the route they should take, but I do understand. Fact remains that dancing doesn't have any impact on anyone's game play but your own. I don't think it's really a big deal and certainly not enough to prevent people from using them for any reason.

All I'm going to say is that all horror loses it's effect after awhile anyway and having dancing emotes doesn't change that fact.

Are you still scared every time you watch the movies even though you've watched them a thousand times? Do you actually still get scared when playing Resident Evil or Silent Hill even though you've beat the game countless times? I sure don't.

I think this is probably one of the most petty complaints one could have for this game. I do think Jason's grab was perhaps beat too hard with the nerf hammer, but to act as if a nerf on his force grab wasn't needed is being disingenuous.

28 minutes ago, DEATH said:

. I do think Jason's grab was perhaps beat too hard with the nerf hammer, but to act as if a nerf on his force grab wasn't needed is being disingenuous.

Well im being sincere as possible when i say..  Im 6 foot tall and can easily grab someone 5 feet infront of me.

I always say the grab range was perfect.. The grab animation was the issue.   The grab animation did not match up his grab range.  but his grab range was pretty normal for a guy that size.

58 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Well im being sincere as possible when i say..  Im 6 foot tall and can easily grab someone 5 feet infront of me.

I always say the grab range was perfect.. The grab animation was the issue.   The grab animation did not match up his grab range.  but his grab range was pretty normal for a guy that size.

Sure you can bud. Not without a lunge you can't. His grab range was not fine. I don't know how many times I was vacuumed to him. You are either lying or very unobservant.

Just now, DEATH said:

Sure you can bud. Not without a lunge you can't. His grab range was not fine. I don't know how many times I was vacuumed to him. You are either lying or very unobservant.

And if the animation had been more of a lunge it would've looked more accurate. I agree it was too long but the argument that the animation was wrong does make sense to me.

4 hours ago, HuDawg said:

Good on you and for the others that want to buy them. Hopefully the outfits and the emotes are tone to a degree to where it doesn't make the game look like a saturday morning kids show. That's the point behind all this.

4 hours ago, kitcat said:

I'm seeing people (Jason players) crying about counselors dancing at the cops. I'm seeing people saying counselors are very OP now. I'm seeing people saying cosmetics are bullshit and whatever. I'm seeing people mad because apparently now seems way more fun when you play as a counselor than Jason. Aaaaaaand I'm seeing people thinking emotes, costumes and blah blah blah somehow make things difficult for Jason. Looool, really?! The nerf really happened, but like I said in another thread, I still see a lot of Jasons with 8/8 at the end of the match. Even me, and I'm a bad Jason, always get most of the kills done. Isn't a problem for everyone.

Seems like some people want the game to be veeeeeery easy as Jason and totally impossible as a counselor. Some people complain about balance issues, but there's no balance if you want advantage only for one of the sides.

It's Friday the 13th, I get it, but it's a game. It can't be like the movies all the time. 

I know how to read, you don't need to explain me anything. And I agree with you. Most people REALLY got very bitter over an opinion. 

If you want to blame someone for emotes, costumes, nerfs and all, then blame the devs, not people that only want to have some fun playing a game without the feeling the world will end if they don't kill all the counselors per match. 

And no, I don't want the game to be "easy peasy" for me as a counselor - I like challenging games, I'm here playing since May, I love the horror atmosphere, but some people are overreacting about all this.

I'm still skeptical about the way Jason plays as I'm still trying out different ones before giving my full opinion. I wouldn't say I have a problem with him so far, but I notice the issues are definitely there and why lots of people have complaints about him. Even as playing a counselor, I've have had many times of successfully bashing Jason across the face and easily escaping, that also created more concern for me. Regardless if you're skilled with Jason or encountered other superior players using him, you still can't be in denial that there are problems that still exist.

No one is blaming the players or trying to limit any use their fun. As I mentioned in my previous post, all we want is a middle ground to where people can have fun with emotes, but still keep the horror aspect. 

I get that the game will not play out like the movies every single time, but that's not a legitimate reason nor justify it to turn it into something that IT'S NOT. Maybe it is an overreaction by most people, but understandably so if they are worried about where the game is going. I'm not saying it's a joke now, but I do believe the players and fans of the franchise just wants to make sure it doesn't go down that road.

Perhaps Chad's pet dogs "Scoober-Doober" and his Nephew "Scrapper-Doober" could be radioed for help. They could turn up in a pink cadillac which could also be used to escape in. 

8-bit music is already in, so we could have an 8-bit version of the 80's Scooby and Scrappy Doo show theme when playing as them. 

"Yikes Scrapper-Doo, that man in the mask is staggering around everywhere like he's drunk!" 

"He's just trying to grab Uncle Scoober...got my baseball bat...let me at 'em..let me at 'em!" 

16 minutes ago, Splatterhouse said:

*snip

I'm going to answer your post with another one that should honestly be a PSA on the thread at this point:

10 hours ago, Survival said:

Edit: I do have to disagree with the last sentence underlined though. I think the game will continue to draw people in regardless of the DLC. Just my opinion, but I don't think the main selling point of the game is being able to dance while wearing a swimsuit. It's mainly trying to survive against a supernatural mass murderer.

Edited by Trident77

3 hours ago, DEATH said:

Well thats sort of my point.   He should lunge a bit.  Hes trying to grab people to kill.. Not trying to grab the salt at the dinner table.

Not sure why you think im lying or im very unobservant.   When it makes perfect sense when grabbing someone to lunge slightly.  And a 4-5 foot grab range for a 6 foot person makes perfect sense.   So ya.. his grab range was fine IMO.   

And IMO his grab range should be buffed closer to what it was.  

There are some definite good suggestions in here. The Jason grabbing from ground has been talked about numerous times and is something that should probably be considered. I have also begun to think maybe a minigame for Jason as he is knocked down/stunned rather than button mash. Similar to a counselor repair except Jasons is static high level so it is maybe 2-3 blocks.

Somebody once mentioned a perk system for Jason which could be interesting as well. It is not something that could be as deep as the counselor perks but simple things like advantage in minigame...slight speed increase in his walk/run. it would add another layer in customizing Jason strategies/approaches. Again though, i think with something like that less is far more.

All they have to do to stop all of this is undo ALL of the Jason nerfs. That means trap stacking and Jason's old grab both return. Item drop icons should stay, but to a much lower degree.

I bet that will make them think twice about dancing!