Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truth

F13 Show

22 posts in this topic

My buddy says he wants to get an F13 box set which I can't seem to find. I found a set with the first 4, a set with the first 8, and a set with 9, 10, FvJ, and the reboot.

While looking for these on amazon, I found a set for the tv show. I never knew this existed and just wanted to ask if anyone has any opinions on it that might help me decide if it's worth buying.

1 hour ago, Truth said:

My buddy says he wants to get an F13 box set which I can't seem to find. I found a set with the first 4, a set with the first 8, and a set with 9, 10, FvJ, and the reboot.

While looking for these on amazon, I found a set for the tv show. I never knew this existed and just wanted to ask if anyone has any opinions on it that might help me decide if it's worth buying.

The show was conceived during a slight boom in horror-themed television programming in the 80's, and was originally not entitled Friday the 13th. At some point prior to release, the decision was made to retitle the series to cash in on the notoriety of the movies at the time. The show itself has nothing to do with the events surrounding Crystal Lake. From my recollection a single episode touches on anything Jason related. As a horror series, it was fine. As a Friday the 13th tie-in, you really only have the name and not much else. Armed with that information, you might enjoy the series on its own merits. If you go in thinking you're going to see the Further Adventures of Jason and Friends, you will be disappointed.

1 person likes this

@NthnButAGoodTime

Definitely glad I asked here before just buying it. Maybe I'll try to find some episodes on YouTube and see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up!

that show was awful. it's related to f13 by name only as @NthnButAGoodTimesaid. i tried re-watching it a few years ago and it was still terrible. 

44 minutes ago, matisangry said:

that show was awful. it's related to f13 but name only as @NthnButAGoodTimesaid. i tried re-watching it a few years ago and it was still terrible. 

Your input is greatly appreciated! I had a feeling they would be pretty shitty, but I at least expected it to relate to F13...

28 minutes ago, Truth said:

Your input is greatly appreciated! I had a feeling they would be pretty shitty, but I at least expected it to relate to F13...

if memory serves me correctly, they're was a lot of confusion and backlash from fans over it. it didn't help that it was on really late at night. i seem to remember it airing AFTER Saturday Night Live. 

I remember this show well from back in the day. I was disappointed it had nothing to do with Jason, but I thought WHAT they did have was kind of cool. I THINK if it had been under another name, it would have been better.

Unlike The Nightmare on elm street tv show, "Freddy's nightmares, A nightmare on elm street: The series" which did in fact have Freddy in it.

Some times I feel like I was born 20 years too late... I missed a lot of awesome shit lol

@Punisher_2099 I didn't know Freddy had a show either.

18 minutes ago, Truth said:

Some times I feel like I was born 20 years too late... I missed a lot of awesome shit lol

In part, yes. But you can be grateful that those of us who came before you can filter out the garbage before you expose yourself to it. We got to absorb it so you didn't have to.;)

1 person likes this

Just now, NthnButAGoodTime said:

In part, yes. But you can be grateful that those of us who came before you can filter out the garbage before you expose yourself to it. We got to absorb it so you didn't have to.;)

Touche

25 minutes ago, Truth said:

I wouldn't sweat it- when all of this stuff was new it cost a shitload to rent or watch and some of it was difficult to find or required being in front of TV at odd, specific hours. It's better now- everything is at your fingertips.

3 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

I wouldn't sweat it- when all of this stuff was new it cost a shitload to rent or watch and some of it was difficult to find or required being in front of TV at odd, specific hours. It's better now- everything is at your fingertips.

Yeah but the hype is dead now. It's not really the same. Especially growing up with current technology, a lot of older shows and movies just look like shit. But seeing them back when they came out was probably incredible.

Just now, Truth said:

Yeah but the hype is dead now. It's not really the same. Especially growing up with current technology, a lot of older shows and movies just look like shit. But seeing them back when they came out was probably incredible.

No high-definition helped. A lot of practical effects looked better with the haze of older TV sets and VHS but seeing them in HD bettered my appreciation for them. 

You're right about the hype- particularly for slashers, it's mostly gone.

57 minutes ago, bewareofbears said:

You're right about the hype- particularly for slashers, it's mostly gone.

Hopefully this game can revive the hype. I know it has for me. I only watched the movies (other than maybe 2 of them) after I started playing this.

I remember being pretty pissed the series had nothing to do with Crystal Lake, but it did have some pretty decent episodes about some of the trinkets in their shop. I highly doubt I would watch them again, but back then it was on so I watched them. I'd say go with you tubing them to see what you think, otherwise save your cash.

I used to watch this show in Sci Fi back in the day. It was alright, almost an Are you Afraid of the Dark meets Tales from the Crypt, more towards the prior than the latter. I think it had 3 seasons? I can't remember.

Best to watch it on YouTube or wherever you can access a lot of t.v. shows for free "educational" purposes.

Also remember the Nightmare on Elm Street show. Today's modern infatuation is zombies. Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, Z Day, etc, etc. Slashers were done to death in the 80s and 90s. They became tok repetitious and you can see story declines as you go through each series. Its becaude they start reaching for ideas on how to bring thr killer back and why he is killing. Thats why Halloween 1 may be the best. Totally ambiguous. No reason why.

Some continue to come out, but there isn't much new you can add to the series. The plot twists have been done. Stories typically end up the same. Jump scares are boring and cliche at this point. But what's the main reason most watch slashers? The kills. 

As for the box set, you can't really find that anymore. Even EBay it's am absurd price. I have a feeling they will re-release some new blu Ray ones sometime in the next year or so. I have the 1-4 DVD set, 5-6 on blu ray, then I have all of them digitally on my Xbox. There is a solid Nightmare on Elm Street blu Ray box set on Amazon though. 1-New Nightmare. I think I had gotten it for $26.

I just got him the cheap dvd combos. I got the one with the first 8 movies for myself too. Hopefully they don't release another set before christmas...

That show had its good and bad, true no connection to the films, but it was a cool concept. And for a cheap horror anthology, on t.v. in the eighties, well there have been worse. Check oit tales drom the darkside......that was good. There had been talk of a show centered around crystal lake in recent years, but it got scrapped. Along with the friday prequel, because of the failure of rings. Ugh.

32 minutes ago, Groovalicious666 said:

Check oit tales drom the darkside

Yeah I've seen some of those. Not that I really remember them, but I know they were decent.

1 person likes this

George Romero and even Stephen King had a bit to do with them. Great one about a couple who kidnap a kid and fatten him up on sweets. Because they are vampires and are going to eat him. But when he escapes and they chase him into the woods......they get an unpleasant surprise. Good stuff. I wish Netflix would pick it up. Tales from the crypt too. Friday the 13th suffered from common 80s budgetary issues, and special effects on a t.v. show budget back then usually sucked. The premise was solid, and I'd watch a new version. Chasing down cursed antiques......with nothing more than an old ledger to go on, well not killer klowns from outer space caliber, but not bad. God knows why they called it f13. As a Jason fan, even back then, I never figured it out. Except for a cash grab.....ala Halloween: season of the witch.

24 minutes ago, Groovalicious666 said:

Tales from the crypt

That's what I was thinking of when you said Tales from the Darkside... Shows how little I remember lol

On 11/15/2017 at 0:35 PM, Groovalicious666 said:

Except for a cash grab.....ala Halloween: season of the witch.

Actually, Season of the Witch wasn't a cash grab. It was Carpenter's idea for the franchise to be an anthology series based around the holiday, not around Michael Myers. He felt that he had told Michael's story in the first one. I hated part 3 for years, but have come to appreciate it for what it is. Interesting idea, but the fans wanted Michael.

Edit: As to the original topic of this thread, I believe Tales From the Crypt was probably the best anthology series from that time. At least, the first 3 seasons. There were some great ones after season 3, but the quality was going down.

I only saw a few episodes of the Ft13th tv show, and only remember a couple that I thought were good. I did watch Freddy's Nightmares, and remember that I enjoyed some of them, but it was all pretty campy.