Sign in to follow this  
Brevator

Is Item Marking really that big of a deal?

5 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

It's simply because they're arguing in bad faith, and are lying about their reasoning, pretending that their purely selfish motivation (higher personal win rate) is actually an altruistic one (doing it 'for the community').

It's because some gamers adopt to change, some complain about the change. I have adopted and I enjoy the item drops from both  jason and counselor perspectives. As Jason, item drops lures counselors to a specific cabin where I can get the drop on them.

As a counselor, it still gives me a chance to escape even if a fellow counselor with an item is killed in the middle of no where. 

7 minutes ago, Manny1985 said:

It's because some gamers adopt to change, some complain about the change. I have adopted and I enjoy the item drops from both  jason and counselor perspectives. As Jason, item drops lures counselors to a specific cabin where I can get the drop on them.

The word is 'adapt', not 'adopt', and I don't believe you're arguing in good faith at all. I don't believe you enjoy playing as Jason at all, but don't care, because you mainly play as a counselor, and are using this as an insincere line of arguing.

I have adapted as Jason. It's no longer fun to play as him, but I can still kill everyone. But I'm one of the very few who have - likely because I've been playing since day 1 and have 300+ matches as Jason under my belt. As a counselor, how can I adapt to escaping every match in the first 5 minutes, and feeling under no threat ever? Please tell me how I can turn that into a positive? How do I adapt to the regular matches as a counselor, where Jason can't kill even 1 person? By doing what everyone else is doing, and turning it into a teabagging/dancing sim?

Also, there's nothing wrong with complaining. Complaining and refusing to adapt is how people like you got this patch. Now you hypocritically claim others should do what you refused to, simply because circumstances now favour you? If someone burnt down your house, would you just 'adapt' to living in rubble, or would you complain, and try to get it rebuilt?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

I don't believe you enjoy playing as Jason at all, but don't care, because you mainly play as a counselor

Everyone mainly plays as counselor... You don't have a choice in that...

Misunderstood your post the first time I read it.

4 minutes ago, Truth said:

Everyone mainly plays as counselor... You don't have a choice in that...

You know what I'm referring to - player preferences. What you 'main'. I don't know anyone these days who has their preferences as anything other than counselor.

I see people begging they don't get Jason in the lobby, then quitting if they do, which is the complete opposite of pre-patch. Hardly anyone plays the game mainly for the Jason experience anymore, because it now completely sucks.

I main Jason as I still get 8/8s, as mentioned, and because I feel a duty to give the lobby a challenging game for once seeing as most games are now non-games. I now get Jason twice as much as before, because virtually nobody has him as their preference, and there's no longer any competition to be him.

6 minutes ago, BomberBuddy said:

Marking items on the map was an unnecessary addition in the first place. Stalking objective parts can be a valuable tactic because now everyone knows where they are on the map. Part of the tension in this game comes from communicating with others. If I died with an objective as a counselor and I call out my position, there is an uncertainty to whether or not it could be salvaged. As Jason, the risk was equally as uncertain. However, that uncertainty was coupled with a relief of eliminating an objective, even if it was only temporary. As Jason I would ask myself: Did anyone hear the callout? Will anyone actually dare to search in the woods for the lost objective? If it was quickplay: IS THE DEAD FUCK IN PARTY CHAT WITH THE OMNISCIENT ABILITY TO GUIDE THEIR FRIENDS? This was a suspenseful element to gameplay for both sides, which emphasized communication to coordinate group survival.

Now? Everyone knows as long as they have a map. No callout required because it is guaranteed to be seen. Repairing is another story, but the element of dread stemming from uncertainty regarding objectives is gone as long as parts are picked up and dropped.

I think you and I view the gameplay differently. As a counselor, you said that you were discouraged by not being able to find a lost part while one by one, players were dying to a Jason that could have been defeated. To me, this is what made the game dynamic. One error and the outcome of the match could change. Maybe the person with the part just got unlucky and died far off somewhere. Maybe they were in party chat talking to their friends, yet had the best intentions of the group at heart. Maybe they just don't care about you or your suffering. Regardless, the objective was lost and you were forced to make do with the absolutes of your predicament. This could mean finding another objective to control, dare to go searching for the lost part, or set up for a battle Purple Asphyxiation won't forget. There was a sense of hopelessness as a counselor, but that is what made the escapes or survivals fulfilling because of the risk of death.

I said the same thing regarding his grab range: adapt to the current circumstance. I quickly realized that just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be/have been. Jason needs to be a force to be reckoned with. He needs the possibility of eliminating objectives.

The risk vs. reward scenario keeps us coming back for more. Items showing up on the map needlessly negates the risk and prioritizes reward.

Seems the Risk vs award is now more evenly balanced between Jason and the Counsellors. I know Jason should be OP, and he still is, but now Jason has to do some actual work, and earn the 8/8 kills.  I don't mind having to do some actual work as Jason. I usually still kill full lobbies, maybe one or two escape on a bad game, but hey Ginny survived, maybe Paul. I know Ted survived somehow? 

I love crushing peoples dreams of a car escape, and now since this update Yes people tend to get objevies completed, or almost completed, so I have to bust my ass to make sure it doesn't get away.

This update by the way also enhanced Stalk mode. Stalk no longer produces footsteps, and when Jason does go for a Stalk/shift grab the camera no longer zooms in warning the counsellor.

What I like about this update is it requires Jason to be more of a Stalker, and hiding and waiting inside cabins. I'm slowly seeing more Jason's take this approach.

And now since Counsellors know where parts are.  Playing as Jason I've gotten more jump scares in unique locations like the fuse being dropped inside the Washrooms on Crystal lake, and just waiting in the stall in stalk, as a hopeless counsellor who  thinks they have the advantage is taken by surprise.

The scares can still be there, it's up to the player who's in control of Jason to actually play it like Jason would in the films. 

• Like 2

The only reason I still have Jason set as my main is so I can get those stupid boat badges. I dread it every time I'm chosen. I'm close on the jaws on but got a ways to go on the torpedo. After I get those, I hope I'm never Jason again until they decide to fix this garbage.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

The word is 'adapt', not 'adopt', and I don't believe you're arguing in good faith at all. I don't believe you enjoy playing as Jason at all, but don't care, because you mainly play as a counselor, and are using this as an insincere line of arguing.

I have adapted as Jason. It's no longer fun to play as him, but I can still kill everyone. But I'm one of the very few who have - likely because I've been playing since day 1 and have 300+ matches as Jason under my belt. As a counselor, how can I adapt to escaping every match in the first 5 minutes, and feeling under no threat ever? Please tell me how I can turn that into a positive? How do I adapt to the regular matches as a counselor, where Jason can't kill even 1 person? By doing what everyone else is doing, and turning it into a teabagging/dancing sim?

Also, there's nothing wrong with complaining. Complaining and refusing to adapt is how people like you got this patch. Now you hypocritically claim others should do what you refused to, simply because circumstances now favour you? If someone burnt down your house, would you just 'adapt' to living in rubble, or would you complain, and try to get it rebuilt?

No, I Love Love Love Love playing as Jason. Since I only play in QP in matches that I host, I get lots of practice as Jason since I don't rage quit. 

"likely because I've been playing since day 1 and have 300+ matches as Jason under my belt. "

Same here. I have been playing since the days of not being able to pick up items after counselors are killed to, to 10 + minute waits in QP lobbies, to where we are now. 

"As a counselor, how can I adapt to escaping every match in the first 5 minutes, and feeling under no threat ever? Please tell me how I can turn that into a positive?"

I don't have this issue since I double trap the phone and watch it more closely than any thing else. I have been in rooms where Jason has only killed one counselor, but those matches are balanced with those who kill 7 out of 8 or 8 outta 8. 

"Complaining and refusing to adapt is how people like you got this patch."

People like me? I don't complain over videogames, not my style. I just enjoy the play experience in front of me. 

"If someone burnt down your house, would you just 'adapt' to living in rubble, or would you complain, and try to get it rebuilt?"

Funny you use this analogy. I actually live in Sonoma County where we just experienced devastating wild fires. I have seen many people maintaining a positive determiner and adapting to the situation. Working with people who have lost their homes gives me a greater appreciation on life and not to complain about the small things like video game patches. That's just me though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Toddarino said:

The only reason I still have Jason set as my main is so I can get those stupid boat badges. I dread it every time I'm chosen. I'm close on the jaws on but got a ways to go on the torpedo. After I get those, I hope I'm never Jason again until they decide to fix this garbage.

I only have 50 beartraps left as a counselor (never set them, try to do 1 a match now), and 7 more boat flips to do, then all my badges are done, and I'll likely give Jason a rest too.

Boat flips are a nightmare, as it was glitched in the early days so they didn't count, and I often kill people before they can get the boat going, so I find myself having to Stalk then Morph in the water next it now whenever I hear a part failure, and just wait a couple of minutes for them to get the second part and climb in so I can flip them at the dock.

Works every time, but sets your progress back a bunch as you're giving the others free rein.

I like it. And you only know where the items are. As I already said in another thread: Jason can find/kill you before you actually find the part.

16 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

You know what I'm referring to - player preferences. What you 'main'. I don't know anyone these days who has their preferences as anything other than counselor.

I see people begging they don't get Jason in the lobby, then quitting if they do, which is the complete opposite of pre-patch. Hardly anyone plays the game mainly for the Jason experience anymore, because it now completely sucks.

I actually changed my preference to Jason.  I have to get better at playing him somehow.  Only way is to play as him.  I figure if I can get some decent practice now, I may be more efficient if and when he gets tweaked again.  

15 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

I only have 50 beartraps left as a counselor (never set them, try to do 1 a match now), and 7 more boat flips to do, then all my badges are done, and I'll likely give Jason a rest too.

Boat flips are a nightmare, as it was glitched in the early days so they didn't count, and I often kill people before they can get the boat going, so I find myself having to Stalk then Morph in the water next it now whenever I hear a part failure, and just wait a couple of minutes for them to get the second part and climb in so I can flip them at the dock.

Works every time, but sets your progress back a bunch as you're giving the others free rein.

I gotta find some likeminded people when I'm online to help me mow through my remaining badges. Not boost, just cooperative. Got a small few counselor ones too.

Ive been doing the same thing with the boat. Hang in the water and let them repair it. It's been working so far.

Some of you really like Jason, like, a lot. Love, maybe? In love, maybe.

The gist of the argument here appears to be: "Oh, it's too hard to be Jason these days... I mean, I still clean up 8/8, but the developers are are just placating to the whiners who need everything to be easy."

If you're such an accomplished Jason, maybe take it as a challenge and stop actually whining (whiners whine about whining) about the mechanic's inclusion, and start adapting to it. More than one person has pointed out you can use item marking to your advantage. You now know exactly where a counselor is going to be, provided you pay attention to what the ones you've killed were holding when you shift-grabbed and insta-killed them (finally from from a reasonable distance). 

I honestly wouldn't care if they did away with it because I enjoy the game both ways, but subtle changes to gameplay can freshen things up and keep a game from going stale. Especially one where you're opening drawers for 90% of your experience.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AaronPop said:

The gist of the argument here appears to be: "Oh, it's too hard to be Jason these days... I mean, I still clean up 8/8, but the developers are are just placating to the whiners who need everything to be easy."

If you're such an accomplished Jason, maybe take it as a challenge and stop actually whining (whiners whine about whining) about the mechanic's inclusion, and start adapting to it. More than one person has pointed out you can use item marking to your advantage. You now know exactly where a counselor is going to be, provided you pay attention to what the ones you've killed were holding when you shift-grabbed and insta-killed them (finally from from a reasonable distance). 

I honestly wouldn't care if they did away with it because I enjoy the game both ways, but subtle changes to gameplay can freshen things up and keep a game from going stale. Especially one where you're opening drawers for 90% of your experience.

I agree 100%. Seems like these experts Jason as upset because they can only get 8 outta 8 kills every 4 outta 5 games instead of 5 out of 5.

• Like 1

I have to call bullshit on the whole camping the dropped parts thing. There is no way that pays off with any sense of regularity. The do nothings don't exactly swarm on that like bees to honey. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AaronPop said:

As I've said repeatedly, this is me complaining as a counselor not as Jason.

Playing as Jason nowadays is relatively unfun, but at least 80% of anyone's experiences are as a counselor, and a weak Jason makes for a shitty game for counselors, as it removes all challenge and atmosphere. Therefore, the game isn't just shit as Jason, but shit as a counselor too.

I repeat - please tell me how as a counselor I should 'adapt' to matches where Jason never kills anyone, as are now frequent? How should I adapt as a counselor to matches where the cops have been called, and both cars are running, in the first 5 minutes, and escape is trivial? How should I adapt to games where I can easily escape without having any input other than opening a car door that comes direct to my cabin?

The way people have been adapting is this: they find their own fun. And that fun comes at the expense of Jason. Teabagging, mobbing, dancing, insulting over the mic. Which then makes less and less people want to play as Jason, which makes more non-games turn into troll-fests, and causes the game to spiral every downwards.

I used to hear people on the mic ask where Jason was so they could avoid the area. Now I hear people asking so they can "go fuck him up".

Fuck that, and fuck your argument. There's nothing to 'adapt' to. It's cancer, and it needs burning down.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

Playing as Jason nowadays is relatively unfun, but at least 80% of anyone's experiences are as a counselor, and a weak Jason makes for a shitty game for counselors, as it removes all challenge and atmosphere. Therefore, the game isn't just shit as Jason, but shit as a counselor too.

I repeat - please tell me how as a counselor I should 'adapt' to matches where Jason never kills anyone, as are now frequent? How should I adapt as a counselor to matches where the cops have been called, and both cars are running, in the first 5 minutes, and escape is trivial? How should I adapt to games where I can easily escape without having any input other than opening a car door that comes direct to my cabin?

The way people have been adapting is this: they find their own fun. And that fun comes at the expense of Jason. Teabagging, mobbing, dancing, insulting over the mic. Which then makes less and less people want to play as Jason, which makes more non-games turn into troll-fests, and causes the game to spiral every downwards.

Fuck that. There's nothing to 'adapt' to. It needs burning down.

Easy, lobby to easy, find a new one. Still not enough, make friends with really good Jason players and invite them to a room. For every complaint, there is an answer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brevator said:

A lot of people seem happy with the new Item Marking feature that highlights dropped items on the map, but there are a lot of people who seem to be outraged about it, and I really can't understand why. And this is coming from someone who prefers to be Jason. 

It doesn't give counselors any significant advantage, other than knowing where items are, but knowing where the items are in no way guarantees them an escape. They still have to cross the map to retrieve the item and then make it back to the objective in order to use it. Easier said than done.

Item Marking is a great deterrent to trolls who would find items and hide them out in the woods at the edge of the map, as well as inexperienced/non-team players who gather up all the items they can carry and get killed off in the distance where no one can find them. 

I certainly haven't noticed any surges in escape numbers since this implementation. I can still clear a lobby as Jason without altering my strategy, even with the perceived "buff" of Item Marking. 

Not sure why it's getting so much hate. 

I agree as well. Its does not give the counselors a automatic win if they see it on the map. 

1. It stop trolls from trolling the team.

2. it help other counselors find items for the (car, boat, phone box) off a dead counselors that was either to afraid to talk on mic or players who does have a mic but dont want to talk that he or she had a item when they are dying.

Just now, Manny1985 said:

Easy, lobby to easy, find a new one. Still not enough, make friends with really good Jason players and invite them to a room. For every complaint, there is an answer.

Someone burnt your house down? Make a house out of branches and leaves! Dig a hole in your garden and become a mole-person! Don't complain - adapt!

• Like 3

Just now, ZooMalfunction said:

Someone burnt your house down? Make a house out of branches and leaves! Dig a hole in your garden and become a mole-person! Don't complain - adapt!

My house wasn't burnt down, but I can tell you exactly how people responded. House burnt down? Apply for FEMA, RCU fund. Talk with your insurance. Decide if you are going to have the government do a free cleanup. These people are working hard on recovering and don't have enough time to complain. They look for solutions instead of complaining. 

We are in a free country though, if people want to whine and complain, by all means go for it. But it works both ways, don't get upset if I challenge what you perceive as a "nerfed" jason.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ZooMalfunction said:

Playing as Jason nowadays is relatively unfun, but at least 80% of anyone's experiences are as a counselor, and a weak Jason makes for a shitty game for counselors, as it removes all challenge and atmosphere.

Fuck that. There's nothing to 'adapt' to. It needs burning down.

So, what is it you want out of this game? A consistent experience where Jason pitches a perfect game almost exclusively, no matter who's behind the controls? I don't think that's possible. The outcome is dictated by the 8 people joined together, primarily - skill (I use this term loosely) levels, intent, etc. Marking dropped objective items on the map doesn't change that fact. If a Chad wants to run around the map emoting in his Speedos all match, or just be a nuisance to Jason and not concentrate on objectives, marking the items on a map also does nothing to encourage or discourage that.

I'm not debating whether or not you play more than I do, because, let's face it - you probably do. I just am not seeing the rampant 0 kill games problem you're seeing. And we're just products of our own experiences.

Edit - Thanks for adding the "fuck your argument" bit to your original post.. makes your argument (whining) look even less rational. ;) 

Edited by AaronPop
  • Like 3

Dumb players still cant initially find half the items. Lobby after lobby i have to double check cabins that are ransacked and locked and of course there’s gas or a battery in the corner that someone overlooked. The propeller is still the most overlooked item tho. People must think it’s a pot or pan and not even mess with it. I like that the key items show once they are dropped. It’s not likely are shown when being carried and float around the map at all times. Also, it’s not like the map shows knives, maps, or walkies.

• Like 1

Just now, ZooMalfunction said:

It's simply because they're arguing in bad faith, and are lying about their reasoning, pretending that their purely selfish motivation (higher personal win rate) is actually an altruistic one (doing it 'for the community').

i main as a counselor. i hate playing as jason. i escape so much more than i use to. you'd think I'd be pumped about that. I'm not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matisangry said:

sure, but the same could be said about your side. how do you know its happening if you can't see it? i base my opinion on:

1. never really hearing talk of it over mic, where people are quick to point out trolls. 

2. never really witnessing it in spectator mode. 

3. never really seeing it in-game while playing.

i think "hiding objectives"  is the "razor blade in the halloween candy" of friday the 13th. it's more myth than actual problem. that's not to say it NEVER happened because i have seen it very few times, but was it such a huge epidemic that it required such a big change to gameplay? i doubt it. 

it's just too passive a form of trolling for a lot of those idiots. they want to be noticed. it's why they exploit glitches, set traps in high traffic areas like inside windows, run people over with the car... stuff like that. 

I base my opinion on the fact that a change was made to combat it. Thats the equivalent of saying the phone on small packanack should be put back in the kitchen because you never see people lock the door and go out the window making the phone escape unavailable. Removing the option to troll in anyway makes sense. The change to items being marked hasn't affected my Jason play in anyway and even if it did it would be for the better since I am not relying on people to be unable to find the only things that let them escape.

• Like 1

I like it. 

I like to play QP half the time. I like to play without a mic a lot so it helps. A lot of other players don't talk so it helps.

As Jason, I probably don't care as much as some to have to kill everybody, even though most of the time I do and i do prefer that everyone dies. I will certainly sacrifice a couple escapees for a revenge kill, or just a sweet moment that I have to complete. If I want to play something score based I have Tetris on my phone.

And as a counselor I care even less about winning overall, but i don't fuck around and try my best to advance the situation in our favor. I don't know if I ever encountered a troll hiding something, but I've certainly experienced people dying in the woods with an item that nobody can find.

As Jason, whether the counselors are good or not, I haven't noticed the map items to be much of an issue. If anything, it speeds the round up and puts them close to the objectives more often. A lot less aimless searching has been happening for me since.

P.S. beware of people complaining about the patch but from a counselor's perspective. They are Jasons in sheep's clothing 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Toddarino said:

I have to call bullshit on the whole camping the dropped parts thing. There is no way that pays off with any sense of regularity. The do nothings don't exactly swarm on that like bees to honey. 

Of course it varies game to game. And of course camping a part means another objective could be repaired, it’s a fine balance. 

Camping a part is just like camping an objective. 

Ive had many games where I hid in Stalk inside the phone house. I let the counselor disable my trap, and fix the box, and then grab them as soon as they turned the corner upstairs in packinak to make the call. Yes it was risky, but worth it. 

Doesnt happen every game, but a lot of Jason’s need to understand the value and patience of camping objectives in Stalk.

“Do nothings” I don’t worry about them until the people I perceive as a threat are eliminated. 

• Like 1