ZooMalfunction

Poll: Do you enjoy playing as Jason more post-patch?

Has your experience playing AS Jason improved post-patch?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Has your experience playing AS Jason improved post-patch?

• Yes
    • No

10 hours ago, ChadFace said:

Voted yes. Camera doesn't zoom in when Jason is shifting behind you post patch so getting shift grabs is pretty easy even with the reduced grab range. 

Wait... you mean I've been stalk+shifting for no reason? I thought I noticed a lack of camera-zoom as councilor.

I was a counselor last night and I escaped with the car. Seems I always escape now.. but I was spectating and saw a Jason miss 5 or 6 attacks and a grab while on top of a counselor and he couldn't even hit the fence to break it down. It looked stupid. Wish they would make Jason someone to fear again. 

When the game first came out, you knew once Jason spotted you it was a matter of time. My wife used to gasp and be like "oh you're dead now" and I just laugh it off and waste 5 minutes of his time. 

Please make it fun for both Jason and not so damn easy for counselors. Neither is much fun anymore.

8 hours ago, ZooMalfunction said:

I don't think these are good solutions at all.

What you're advocating is (firecrackers apart) that each counselor gets on average 1 consumable each. This would ruin one of the most crucial and satisfying parts of the match - the looting phase - by having utterly barren cabins. You'd completely water down not just one (pocketknives), or two (med sprays), but three (drawer rummaging) core mechanics of the game. Reducing variety, and therefore complexity, is not the answer.

Against Part 2, Tommy aside, the entire team would need to search the entire map, and use every single knife and spray they had just to get past his traps, unless someone felt like perma-limping for the rest of the game. It'd make everyone use that Jason, and Medic and Hypocondriac together would be essential perks. And people would get very quickly bored looking at empty drawer after empty drawer just looking for the car keys or fuse.

Consumables should stay the same. People enjoy finding them (opening a drawer is essentially the same as playing a slot machine), and they add tactical depth. The things that make them too effective should change. Remove Medic, and make Jason's grab stronger, and you reduce the effectiveness of those items. Pocketknives become only a temporary reprive, and med sprays are suddenly cut in half, without being rationed into nothingness.

Each counselor will get on average 1 get out of jail free/save your butt consumable. This is what will fix some of the core issues. ;)

The lack of item types and choices is an ENTIRELY different problem leading to so many empty drawers. The fact is, lack of choices doesn't mean that we should over-saturate the game with options that unbalance the game. If you want to fix the problem, you need to go to the source. It really is as simple as that. Gun needs to create some other items or reduce the number of drawers in the rummaging simulator.

The same thing goes for Perks. The fact that most Perks are not meaningful, and only a few serve a function worthy of note in the current basic game design, doesn't mean we should justify not fixing core issues. Many people already run the Perks you noted standard anyways so it is par for the unbalanced course.  Many people are only concerned with treating symptoms of the sickness and not the disease itself (game design needs work).

Opening drawers adds NO tactical depth whatsoever. The items are pre-loaded in drawers at the beginning of the match. Counting on luckily picking the right container an item might be found in involves no strategy. Tactical depth would come from adding new items and forcing counselors to choose what would be best to keep or use in a given situation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alcanx said:

Wait... you mean I've been stalk+shifting for no reason? I thought I noticed a lack of camera-zoom as councilor.

Yep. Took me a while to notice. Being out in the open makes me a lot more paranoid now lol. 

15 minutes ago, Alkavian said:

Tactical depth would come from adding new items and forcing counselors to choose what would be best to keep or use in a given situation.

Out of curiosity, what ideas do you have for new items that could be added? 

Haven't noticed anything too game changing in regards to Jason, I still have no problem getting 8/8 most of the time.

4 minutes ago, BoxingRouge said:

People voted yes.:huh:

Lol. The proud contrarians.

But seriously, to each their own. I dislike playing as Jason and as soon as I get my badges I will be switching my preferences to counselor.

Actually that's putting it pretty mildly. I fucking hate being Jason right now.

• Like 2

The biggest gripe playing Jason are the counselors who run around tables or furniture in endless circles then jump out a window.  Not only is it near impossible for Jason to get them, but it wastes time, allowing the other counselors to escape.

THE FIX.

1) Make Jason's walking speed equal to the counselor's jog.

2) Make the counselor stamina bar decrease more quickly when Jason is in the vicinity due to fear/trepidation.

This will IMMEDIATELY eliminate the midnight waltzes around the dining room table scenarios.

Let's face it, in the movies, when Jason was coming after you, he caught up to you if all you did was run.  This should be the same way in the game.  In order to get away/evade Jason, you will have to hide, run/jump into another cabin, or fight back/stun with a weapon.  Running circles or just running in a straight line will no longer work.

What do others think of this?  I think it would work, would not destroy the balance of the game, restore the formidable strength of Jason, and make it more true to the movies.

I don't enjoy playing as Jason or a counselor anymore. As a counselor it's way too easy to escape. The parts on the big map had a huge effect on that as well as neutered Jason no longer being a real threat. 

Jason has been going downhill for a while. Weakened traps, terrible grab, poor hit detection, too many pocket knives, dance and regular emotes, chain stun and the invisible wall around counselors climbing through windows. 

Add all that up and throw in the connection issues that have plagued this game since launch and it's now become a case of why bother.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Toddarino said:

I don't enjoy playing as Jason or a counselor anymore. As a counselor it's way too easy to escape. The parts on the big map had a huge effect on that as well as neutered Jason no longer being a real threat. 

Jason has been going downhill for a while. Weakened traps, terrible grab, poor hit detection, too many pocket knives, dance and regular emotes, chain stun and the invisible wall around counselors climbing through windows. 

Add all that up and throw in the connection issues that have plagued this game since launch and it's now become a case of why bother.

Yeah Jason just hasn't been the same since they gave counselors both dance AND regular emotes. That was the biggest Jason nerf of all. 

2 hours ago, Alkavian said:

The same thing goes for Perks. The fact that most Perks are not meaningful, and only a few serve a function worthy of note in the current basic game design, doesn't mean we should justify not fixing core issues. Many people already run the Perks you noted standard anyways so it is par for the unbalanced course.  Many people are only concerned with treating symptoms of the sickness and not the disease itself (game design needs work).

Opening drawers adds NO tactical depth whatsoever. The items are pre-loaded in drawers at the beginning of the match. Counting on luckily picking the right container an item might be found in involves no strategy. Tactical depth would come from adding new items and forcing counselors to choose what would be best to keep or use in a given situation.

Amen. Perks system needs a total revamp much like @AldermachXI suggested in his thread and other ideas contributed there.

The drawer simulator also needs to go as you said. In general there is far too much in the game based on RNG and it doesn't do it any good. There's no excitement in looting either, it's just something you have to do in order to progress in the match. I'm sure we could all do without the constant empty drawers which are nothing but a waste of time.

I've had some ideas of my own I've been thinking about. Just early ideas, but I think that in order to properly buff Jason, counselors need their own kind of buff first. The main issue I see with the game is that it is torn between 1v7 and 1v1 x7. On the one hand, if it were truly balanced for 1v7, where the only way counselors would have a chance of surviving is to all work together, the average counselor experience would suffer as most lobbies do not work together. On the other hand, if it were truly balanced for 1v1 x7, where each counselor could reliably survive on their own, the average Jason experience would suffer as any team that was working together would be OP.

In a way, both of these issues currently exist simultaneously, as a result of the game allowing too much freedom and not focusing enough on a team-based effort despite being built around it. For new players, matches against Jason are difficult and often end quickly. An overuse of RNG ensures that a bad spawn can mean certain death, whether it's spawning in a dangerous location or one simply devoid of helpful items. The lack of matchmaking, and lack of a large enough playerbase for matchmaking, means that even an average lobby can have a lopsided match against a high level Jason who will destroy them. Likewise, an average Jason can be destroyed by a high level lobby. That's when all the game balance complaints start flooding in.

So onto my idea. The right approach is to truly balance for a 1v7, but the way the game currently is does not support it. What I feel needs to happen is a heavy focus on teamwork needs to be introduced. There's many ways this can be done, but the idea is to bring average matches closer to the way skilled matches are played, and the biggest difference between the 2 is teamwork. Currently, Jason will always be too strong against teams that do not coordinate, and any further buffs to him will worsen the situation. Likewise there are situations that Jason himself is unequipped to adequately deal with, against a team with a high level of coordination that will pressure him in ways he can't handle.

While you can't make skilled players out of average ones immediately, you can put them on the right track so that they know how they can improve. Because the one thing I know playing since release, majority of lobbies = shit. But give them true progression systems, and real in-game direction, and see how fast they rise. Then Jason can be balanced in a way that he is consistently a challenge, without the issue of being too OP against players on their own as teamwork would always be the focus. It would maintain the asymmetrical gameplay but help remove the issues where it shifts too far in either direction.  

Sorry if I've gone a bit off-topic and it's a bit long, it kind of just happened. I'm curious to read feedback on this.

29 minutes ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

The biggest gripe playing Jason are the counselors who run around tables or furniture in endless circles then jump out a window.  Not only is it near impossible for Jason to get them, but it wastes time, allowing the other counselors to escape.

It's not near impossible, not even close.

It's a little bit harder then without a table, yes, and they will waste some of your time, but if they waste more than a minute or two of your time at the table then you aren't shifting right, aren't using stalk, and must have been out of knives.

That said, tables should be breakable for jason : )

The people that force Jason to run around a table for minutes are the same people that horde health sprays. Knives are useless.

1 hour ago, CPLhicks31 said:

It's a little bit harder then without a table, yes, and they will waste some of your time, but if they waste more than a minute or two of your time at the table then you aren't shifting right, aren't using stalk, and must have been out of knives.

Jason at walk or "fast walk-run" (with those variants that can) cannot catch a counselor running around a table.  Stalk is pointless once they know you're there.  Morph is clumsy and moves waaaaaay too fast to be effective in such close quarters, especially now that the grab out of morph has been delayed.

Now, what could work, is that if Jason were to morph inside a house, the morph speed is slowed down and controllable.  Faster than any counselor can run, but not the normal outdoor hyper speed.  This would shut down the table dances immediately, as the counselor would know it is pointless.  Two morph speeds would be great, indoors and outdoors.

EDIT:  I meant "shift" where I said morph.  OOPS

• Like 1

I enjoy the game very much and I still enjoy playing as Jason. To be honest, I haven't seen much change in my kill rates since the new patch (typically 6+/8). With that said, my main problem with this game is Jason is always in more of a defensive position than what he is (to me) in the movies...a hunter.

When a match begins, I have to teleport to the phone or car and trap that. I then wait to teleport again to the other car/phone I didn't trap first. The rest of the match is spent defending those two primary objectives so the counselors don't complete them. There's no real hunting or stalking like in the movies. It's more like "Aha! I caught you trying to put that gas in!" or "Oh crap....did they just call the cops?" I was too busy defending the car and just burned a morph...

Again, I love the game and, more importantly, the franchise. But this isn't Jason...people running around him laughing, stunning him for the lulz, tea bagging, healing after being hit with a knife for the 2nd or third time, healing after jumping from the 2nd story of a house. Jason isn't feared or respected. He's a shell of what he's supposed to be. 

24 minutes ago, CPLhicks31 said:

Honestly no one needs to even bother with knives, Stalk or an accurate Shift in those scenarios. In a cabin, you can literally Shift into a corner and just grab them when they're nearby. I can almost guarantee they will keep doing the loop and not even pay attention to your Shift marker. Outside if they're looping around a car, just play the ring around the Rosie game for a bit, then fully deplete your Shift just doing laps around the car. They will sprint the whole time, their stamina will be gone soon enough and you can go for the grab.

Biggest mistake I see players do is ending Shift early in those situations only to miss the grab. Don't. Let it fully deplete as it is the best way to drain a counselor's stamina, and high Fear from prolonged exposure to Jason will prevent it from easily regenerating. If you have knives, better to throw them when the counselor has slowed down as there is better chance of hitting them. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LuckyDrunkTed said:

Jason at walk or "fast walk-run" (with those variants that can) cannot catch a counselor running around a table.  Stalk is pointless once they know you're there.  Morph is clumsy and moves waaaaaay too fast to be effective in such close quarters, especially now that the grab out of morph has been delayed.

Now, what could work, is that if Jason were to morph inside a house, the morph speed is slowed down and controllable.  Faster than any counselor can run, but not the normal outdoor hyper speed.  This would shut down the table dances immediately, as the counselor would know it is pointless.  Two morph speeds would be great, indoors and outdoors.

1. "Cannot catch a counsellor." - Shift is incredibly faster than even Vanessa sprinting, and it renders you invisible. At the very least it can force counsellors away from the table, but trying it a few times should catch a counsellor at a table.

2. "Stalk is useless once they know you're there." This is exactly my point. They think they are frustrating you with the table? Pretend you are so frustrated that you left. Use stalk and walk (or morph, or shift outside). Odds are they will pat themselves on the back, wander off from the table and right into your hands. It's very satisfying and it works more often than you'd think.

3. I never said anything about morph in my previous post.

4. You can also slash counsellors (although his weapon detection needs a buff), use throwing knives to slow the counsellors (they are easier to hit around a table, too!), or break the windows and generators to increase fear and make the counselors stumble. If the counsellor stops to heal, you have a few seconds to close the distance for a grab or hit.

Catching counsellors should never be the easiest part of Jason's game because he can kill them mercilessly when he does get them, but it isn't as hard as you are saying. You have to hunt them. it's not a matter of just walking after them until you tap x and they roll over. 

I am not trying to attack you here, I am trying to offer strategies and suggestions that will hopefully help your Jason game improve. If you keep rinsing and repeating these tactics without getting too frustrated, you will get a counsellor at a table relatively quickly (especially after a couple shifts from different angles).

On a side note, i see plenty of Jason's who struggle with shift (I did too once) so they never use it and constantly get 3 or 4/8 or worse, but can't take the next step because they refuse to actually practice their shift skills. Not saying you are one of these people, but the more you use shift the better you will be at getting those pesky table counsellors. 

2 hours ago, Alcanx said:

Well it still prevents the static effect. Adding stalk is still going to prevent them from knowing you shifted.

1 minute ago, Truth said:

Well it still prevents the static effect. Adding stalk is still going to prevent them from knowing you shifted.

Stalk + Shift hides the Shift marker so it is always useful, as even if they know you're Shifting, they won't see how you're exactly doing it. 

I voted "yes"....because I improved. My worst time playing as Jason was when I was between Lvl 40 - 80 and this patch hasn't come close to bringing me back to that. 

Most counselor players are playing very cocky right now regardless of their abilities, and I'm loving it. I played for about an hour or so before bed last night, and put on 2 master classes on how not to fuck with the Jason. Don't try to hit me. I will kill you. I love it. I'm having a good time.

Challenges are still challenging, but the easy matches have gotten sweeter.  

PS: Hey Tommy and the other guy, unless ur the same person, can one of you change your avatars?

sddefault.thumb.jpg.660c34b34f8630c0cd12

Cause most of the time, as far as I'm concerned, you are the same guy.

I still enjoy playing as Jason. Grab nerf hasn't hindered my performance all that much.

I'm just glad that we still get xp for a kill once it's started. People rage quit when I'm Jason. A full person lobby will have about 3 people including myself after I'm through with it :wacko: