Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheHansonGoons

Roy, possessed or obsessed?

7 posts in this topic

In your opinion, was Roy possessed or obsessed by/with Jason? I was reading this article:

https://1428elm.com/2017/11/02/friday-13th-part-v-roy-burns-possessed-jason-voorhees/amp/

And I got curious as to everyone else's interpretations or theories.

Me personally, with the article clipping and emotion to Joey being killed, I always thought he was more obsessed than possessed. 

I always thought he was possessed somehow, because of how he acted, what normal man can stand up to that? Even on heavy illegal drugs, he'd still feel the hits.

Considering that JGTH wasn’t made before Part V, Marcus is making stuff up on something that couldn’t possibly exist yet.

The creators of Part V wanted to keep Jason dead, as it would have been weird to bring him back after you’ve delivered “The Final Chapter.” But strong demand and popularity drove a Part V to be made. So how do we get Jason without ruining Part IV’s story?

A fake Jason!

Roy was obsessed. You could see it in his countenance when he came to get Joey. Easy to miss before you know the twist as he comes off looking more annoyed than anything. But after the twist is known, a rewatch shows you he’s already plotting revenge.

Roy was human, but his actions in the movie made it seem like he's superhuman. It was done for two reasons. Suspend disbelief and to make people think he is the real deal with Jason power.

That article is interesting and I can see the theory behind it. But it's still a long shot that Jason possessed him. I think it's easier just to accept that Roy was a very strong man with high pain tolerance. You can say he had access to special drugs as a reason behind his abilities, but I just like to keep things simple and not articulate it much. 

On 11/5/2017 at 3:09 PM, TheHansonGoons said:

In your opinion, was Roy possessed or obsessed by/with Jason? I was reading this article:

https://1428elm.com/2017/11/02/friday-13th-part-v-roy-burns-possessed-jason-voorhees/amp/

And I got curious as to everyone else's interpretations or theories.

Me personally, with the article clipping and emotion to Joey being killed, I always thought he was more obsessed than possessed. 

How about smart. 

I feel that the curse from the lake itself possessed Roy due to his grief and anger and gave him his powers, not Jason's spirit. I don't consider part nine to be canon, only a bad studio fan fiction.

12 hours ago, Redcat345 said:

I don't consider part nine to be canon, only a bad studio fan fiction.

Yep... even "Never Hike Alone" is better and even kinda more canon than part 9.